Strange teachings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fighting0025.gif
"Receive the free gift of salvation. Or else!" - LOL

/

Last edited:

Chadrho

Sep 4, 2019
East Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to say, but there are so many new strange teachings going around nowadays.

Usually new Christians are more susceptible since they don't know a lot of the basic Christian doctrines.

When I was in Bible college we studied the cults. Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults was the textbook.

But now there are multitudes of strange teachings.

What strange teachings do you mean?

I haven't read Martin but looked him up. He's seems to be saying 'we're right and y'all are wrong.' I understand the sentiment, but it doesn't say much. Individual-subjective certainty is much weaker than inter-subjective certainty. That's why no one agrees on religion and virtually everyone agrees on maths. Lol

What is basic Christian doctrine? I think Jesus's death and resurrection is pretty basic. I think that gospel coupled with the confession that *Jesus is Lord* covers a lot of territory. It's not just confessing a fact about Jesus but a commitment to a way of life. That's a pretty wide umbrella, I think, under which a lot of strange teachings can be included! Lol. Plus, it has historical precedent.

But doctrines and confessions mean absolutely nothing if they don't result in love of God and neighbor. And really, it's just love of neighbor because one cannot love God without it. In other words, the atheist who loves their neighbor is more a follower of Christ than the theist who does not. Is that a strange teaching? Lol. I don't think so.

What is a strange teaching? It's a teaching that doesn't teach love. If it teaches Christ but not love, it's a strange, Christian teaching. :)

Chadrho

Sep 4, 2019
East Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This seems to be the view that some have of Jesus.

View attachment 37048

I'm not saying Christian Nationalism is a thing, but Christian Nationalism is a thing. I worry about that as a strange teaching. I would say if separation of church and state makes a person uneasy, they're already leaning in the wrong direction, coupling power and the use of force with Christ. Plus, no reasonable person wants one particular faith perspective running things. Reasonable people know they can get things wrong in faith and practice. It's not physics. You just accept that humility and be gracious, I guess.

Somewhere behind Jesus Christ and all the wonder that entails, I think the secular state is a divine gift of grace to humanity. We almost stopped killing each other due to notions like reason and tolerance. Lol We saw the difference between the certainty that many people agreed upon (maths/sciences) and the religious/metaphysical certainty upon which very few agreed. Religious difference is a feature of our reality. So, I honestly thank God in Jesus Christ for the Enlightenment. Lol

Reactions: St. SteVen

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What strange teachings do you mean?
What prompted my topic is someone following a strange, unscriptural teaching as follows. (They are seeking converts via PMs.)

They say Jesus will return secretly because "He needs to purify us more with new words."

There's more but basically their teacher doesn't understand Jesus' finished work on the cross. Atonement, propitiation, justification, imputed righteousness, sanctification.

Chadrho

Sep 4, 2019
East Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What prompted my topic is someone following a strange, unscriptural teaching as follows. (They are seeking converts via PMs.)

They say Jesus will return secretly because "He needs to purify us more with new words."

There's more but basically their teacher doesn't understand Jesus' finished work on the cross. Atonement, propitiation, justification, imputed righteousness, sanctification.

That is strange, but I'm sure someone thinks the same about my beliefs. That being said, anything that purports to share secrets or special knowledge sounds "gnostic," which is worrisome if it leads to elitism (we're in and you're out) or abuse of vulnerable people (give us your family inheritance and we'll tell you the secret). The whole PM thing is suspect.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I understand and agree many nefarious ppl use PM, email, chat and other avenues to coerce. It behooves us to always be aware of the wiles of Satan.
1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."

Reactions: Debp and St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand and agree many nefarious ppl use PM, email, chat and other avenues to coerce. It behooves us to always be aware of the wiles of Satan.
1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."
Agreed.

I got a PM the other day from a "new member" as a greeting.
It was the first and only post they had ever done.
I promptly reported it and then ignored the message.
I didn't reply. That was Sep 29, 2023.
They still have only the one message.

/

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry I wasn't clear.
The question was about privacy issues if you report a post in a PM. (private message)
Mods get an alert. I assume they have access to read the entire thread/conversation topic (or more?)
to determine if rules were broken. An abusive PM for instance.

/
I'm not sure there is an option for that ...BUT, you can invite one into the conversation :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are some strange teachings you have heard recently?

Is it teachings or the love for God and love for others that is going to matter at the end of your life?

Will God reward you more for picking out the bad teaching?

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will God reward you more for picking out the bad teaching?

If someone is trying to lure people into cults, we should speak up.

3Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Jude 1:3-4

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone is trying to lure people into cults, we should speak up.

3Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Jude 1:3-4

Sure, who would want people to be abused by a cult.

A cult normally has a leader, and you obey him, or her, or get beat, or abused, or something disciplinary happens.

That is not right, and sure people get caught up within them, and still do even today.

Reactions: Debp

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But isn't feeling you are right and coming here demanding respect so we'll listen a form of self righteousness, too? Aren't you doing the very thing your rail against?
I just stumbled on this. Didn’t mean to not answer you. Saturday was a whirlwind on the forum for me. You have every right to say that, It doesn’t offend me at all. The problem with this medium of “fellowship” is this, you miss too much ‘reality’ not seeing/hearing in the flesh. All I might add is this; many who know me and love me personally always comment on how they didn’t know how to take me at first. Also, I've been on 3 christian forums, over the last 25+ years, with thousands of posts. I started out trying to be ‘lovey dovey’ to all, to start with, and rode that approach until the horse died. Over the years I came became good at ‘discerning the good and evil by practice’. And exactly who to attack, and who to try and coddle, no matter how much I disagreed with them. That’s happened here, already. I hope this answer helps you to understand me a bit better. If not, stick around and see if time won’t prove tht truth…IMO. If not, then please let me know, like you did this time….Sister.

Last edited: