Strange teachings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to say, but there are so many new strange teachings going around nowadays.

Usually new Christians are more susceptible since they don't know a lot of the basic Christian doctrines.

When I was in Bible college we studied the cults. Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults was the textbook.

But now there are multitudes of strange teachings.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey @Debp

Interesting to me how Christians react to teachings they haven't heard before.
We seem to be victims of doctrinal stagnation. As if to say...

"If I haven't heard it before... it MUST be false!"

Why do you suppose this is?

/

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey @Debp

Interesting to me how Christians react to teachings they haven't heard before.
We seem to be victims of doctrinal stagnation. As if to say...

"If I haven't heard it before... it MUST be false!"

Why do you suppose this is?

/

When the teachings go against Scripture, they are false. That is what I use to judge any teachings. Anyone can get on YouTube and make videos....that doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the teachings go against Scripture, they are false. That is what I use to judge any teachings. Anyone can get on YouTube and make videos....that doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.
That's a good rule of thumb. but it tends to fall apart in practice.
Are there more than one interpretation of any scripture? (sure)
And oftentimes, our standard "proof-texts" don't even support the doctrine we are defending.

Case in point. We say...
"No one can say they didn't have a chance to respond to the gospel, because men are without excuse."
Proof-text: Romans 1:20

Does this text support the claim? (nope)

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Debp

Are we saved by doctrine?

Are those whose doctrine disagrees with ours "lost"?

Is there anything MORE divisive in the Body of Christ than doctrinal disagreement?

I'm in favor of Doctrinal Diversity. (within reason)

/

Reactions: Chadrho

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to say, but there are so many new strange teachings going around nowadays.

Usually new Christians are more susceptible since they don't know a lot of the basic Christian doctrines.

When I was in Bible college we studied the cults. Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults was the textbook.

The devils lead many astray. Discerning who God is in spirit and who Satan and the devils are can be difficult. That is probably why we have so many false teachings and strange doctrines. I suppose some people just want to prey on Christians to make money off of them, that might be another reason.

I supposed there might be more reasons.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devils lead many astray. Discerning who God is in spirit and who Satan and the devils are can be difficult. That is probably why we have so many false teachings and strange doctrines. I suppose some people just want to prey on Christians to make money off of them, that might be another reason.

I supposed there might be more reasons.
Is not the view that there are "many false teachings and strange doctrines" a divisive strategy in itself?
Who would want that? (a divisive element) But here we are cowering in fear of the next doctrinal boogie man. - LOL
Let the witch trials begin.

/

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, and we get to see them on parade in these threads!

Personally, I think a forum like this is one of the worst places for new believers.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there are some very practiced talkers who can talk up their false doctrines all day long, and that still doesn't make it true.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not if you are doing it right. Or don't you think so? Do you think there is a single valid meaning to Scripture? Serious Question.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's a good rule of thumb. but it tends to fall apart in practice.
And oftentimes, our standard "proof-texts" don't even support the doctrine we are defending.

Case in point. We say...
"No one can say they didn't have a chance to respond to the gospel, because men are without excuse."
Proof-text: Romans 1:20

Does this text support the claim? (nope)

/
When this happens we need to trust the Holy Spirit to show us the true truth.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are we saved by doctrine?
We are saved by the Living word of God...

The Holy Bible is so very ALIVE!.....it’s the Spirit who relays the message of God straight to our spirit and of course that takes time to learn and understand...which must be done through the Holy Spirit....I believe everything is in God’s timing.

I know for me my heart is the one that needs to be open to receive God’s word and again he opens it for our minds to understand.
...of course our hearts can also harden, as I learnt yesterday....I know I have been stubborn.
Just my thoughts,Brother.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something I tend to see here comes across to me as the need for personal affirmation. Someone wants their view to be accepted because they want to be accepted, or they want to feel powerful, or some other personal emotional need.

Much love!

And sometimes they are a fairly new Christian that gets led astray. And sometimes they try to get others to listen to that teaching.... (someone here is doing that.)

Does this forum allow them to do that?

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And sometimes they are a fairly new Christian that gets led astray. And sometimes they try to get others to listen to that teaching.... (someone here is doing that.)

Apparently it does. We must beware of false gospels and wolves in sheeps' clothing.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What I see is a venue that allows anyone up to the pulpit, no matter what their state or gifting is. I pray God give each of us here who are truly His children a strong spiritual discerment of these things! And those who don't know Him yet, that they will!

Much love!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When this happens we need to trust the Holy Spirit to show us the true truth.
The "true truth"?
As opposed to what? (the false truth?)
I hope that's not a double negative.
Do double positives cancel each other out too?
Not sure.

/

Last edited: