Suicide Prevention

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus had compassion for lost sheep, and commanded His disciples to seek them and give them hope (e.g., Matthew 25: 36–“I was in prison and you visited me,” and thus Kairos Prison Ministry).

Surely, those contemplating suicide are also among the lost sheep.

Does anyone have experience with suicide prevention? Will you tell us your stories?

Peace and blessings.

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had friends who have killed themselves, and I've thought about it too. In my experience it was hopelessness and a deep depression, feeling like you'd rather be dead than deal with the pain of each day. It's terrible.

As far as prevention goes, I've tried as hard as I could to help some in that situation, but unfortunately it's very difficult to do. For a lot of people it's their whole lifestyle; their social media, music, entertainment, etc. all revolve around depression and suicide.

You're right, they are the lost sheep. Many are lacking in love, and I pray they find God's love in their trials.

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus had compassion for lost sheep, and commanded His disciples to seek them and give them hope (e.g., Matthew 25: 36–“I was in prison and you visited me,” and thus Kairos Prison Ministry).

Does anyone have experience with suicide prevention? Will you tell us your stories?

Peace and blessings.
I've never dealt with suicide, but I suspect an overabundance of sin, in conjunction with life's challenges, can depress a person to the point of suicide.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your commments.

”Overabundance of sin” had not occurred to me, but you might be on to something. They might could be weighted down by a guilty conscience, and not know about God’s overflowing grace and love. If there exists a Christian ministry for the suicidal, that could a clue to helping the person.

Blessings.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Three of my children have attempted suicides and two of them still have ‘ suicide plans ’ that they may or may not act upon. My eldest, his was because of circumstances, my daughter and my youngest were due to mental breakdowns ( my daughter tried again last year and it was down to an opioid addiction which triggered an opioid depression - she nearly succeeded ) They have explained that you just feel nothing inside, a blackness. Nothing they have in this world was enough to keep them here.

When it happened with my daughter I just prayed life over her when she was in ICU and I continued that prayer - unbeknown to me she had planned another attempt a few months later as nothing within her was changing. Thankfully a drug rehabilitation team suddenly got involved and now she is off the opioids , out of the depression and feeling her old self. My son came to faith two years ago and has stopped self harming ( something that started after the suicide attempt )

I am grateful that I still have all four of my children , had any of them succeeded I would have questioned if I could have prevented it, talking to them, I realise that only something from within them could do that , or the Lord intervening.
The internal battles are difficult to understand at times, or the root causes.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three of my children have attempted suicides and two of them still have ‘ suicide plans ’ that they may or may not act upon. My eldest, his was because of circumstances, my daughter and my youngest were due to mental breakdowns ( my daughter tried again last year and it was down to an opioid addiction which triggered an opioid depression - she nearly succeeded ) They have explained that you just feel nothing inside, a blackness. Nothing they have in this world was enough to keep them here.

When it happened with my daughter I just prayed life over her when she was in ICU and I continued that prayer - unbeknown to me she had planned another attempt a few months later as nothing within her was changing. Thankfully a drug rehabilitation team suddenly got involved and now she is off the opioids , out of the depression and feeling her old self. My son came to faith two years ago and has stopped self harming ( something that started after the suicide attempt )

I am grateful that I still have all four of my children , had any of them succeeded I would have questioned if I could have prevented it, talking to them, I realise that only something from within them could do that , or the Lord intervening.
The internal battles are difficult to understand at times, or the root causes.

So sorry to hear this about your children Rita.

The world has become a crazy even dark place for many. I heard on the news that 20% of teens are suicidal.

When we as Christians walk through the storms of life, we have faith in Jesus and know He is with us no matter what. And that eventually the Lord will return and puts things right. So that is an anchor, a stabilizer for us.

Perhaps some gentle words of faith here and there for your children? As seeds planted?

Reactions: Chains Broken

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry to hear this about your children Rita.

The world has become a crazy even dark place for many. I heard on the news that 20% of teens are suicidal.

When we as Christians walk through the storms of life, we have faith in Jesus and know He is with us no matter what. And that eventually the Lord will return and puts things right. So that is an anchor, a stabilizer for us.

Perhaps some gentle words of faith here and there for your children? As seeds planted?
It’s okay Depp, I started walking this path with my children over 18years ago - back then my world as a mum changed and crashed, but you adapt to walking a new path. One by one I have had to give each one to the Lord , my second youngest son had issues but never followed through because he didn’t want to put me through it - he never really experienced the real blackness inside , he had despression but it wasn’t as deep.
Sadly words of comfort or faith can sometimes come across to the person as meaningless, however it doesn’t mean I cannot pray. Helen , who comes here from time to time , suggested once placing verses ect in Dans bedroom, like under his mattress - that is not a bad idea as Gods truth and words have power even if they are written down- that’s to help in the spiritual battle.

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helen , who comes here from time to time , suggested once placing verses ect in Dans bedroom, like under his mattress - that is not a bad idea as Gods truth and words have power even if they are written down- that’s to help in the spiritual battle.
Years ago my grandma who was a devoted Christian (Pentecostal) would get prayer cloths for people. Have you heard of that? I think I read some apostles would do that....do you recall it?

Grandma said the cloths were prayed over.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago my grandma who was a devoted Christian (Pentecostal) would get prayer cloths for people. Have you heard of that? I think I read some apostles would do that....do you recall it?

Grandma said the cloths were prayed over.
No, never heard of either. I had not even considered placing Bible verses in my sons room- so it was a new thing to me xxx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, never heard of either. I had not even considered placing Bible verses in my sons room- so it was a new thing to me xxx
Here it is....notice especially the verses from Acts about Paul.

I think the prayer cloths my grandma received were anointed with oil and prayed over.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for the link.
In many respects the items mentioned in scripture are associated with Jesus and Paul themselves, but it wasn’t the actual cloths that healed. So I find myself asking is it the prayer cloth or the prayer that achieves the end goal. It’s a difficult one because it’s like the verses, in and of themselves they are just words on a piece of paper or cloths with oil on them - it doesn’t make them a power as such. In all cases it is the faith that surely lies behind the prayer clothes, the hem being touched or Paul hankerchief - also in the written word , we trust in the words, we have faith in the words - so it’s not the things but people putting their trust in the source x

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sounds right, it might even be higher. I don't know if it's social media, the direction of society or something else but it's very difficult for a lot of teens these days to be happy. I wish they could know about God's love and that they have a purpose in life. I also think the stories of Christians (both early and recent) who have risked everything for their faith are very inspiring, showing how hard you can fight when you stay with God.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sounds right, it might even be higher. I don't know if it's social media, the direction of society or something else but it's very difficult for a lot of teens these days to be happy. I wish they could know about God's love and that they have a purpose in life. I also think the stories of Christians (both early and recent) who have risked everything for their faith are very inspiring, showing how hard you can fight when you stay with God.

Saw a video where they said girls in conservative families were happy.... didn't have problems with depression. They thought it was because of there being some authority/structure in the family.

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saw a video where they said girls in conservative families were happy.... didn't have problems with depression. They thought it was because of there being some authority/structure in the family.
I wonder where those families were. Conservative families are more likely to live in quiet rural/suburban areas where people spend more time outside and less time on the internet, so I could totally see them being happier.

Also, if we're talking about girls specifically, the left tends more to teaching girls that they are oppressed/victims which is probably detrimental to their mental health as well.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Peace and blessings.
I don't have any direct experience with suicide prevention; however, I do know many people are desperate and at the end of their rope, even though they may put on a happy face. This should make us all stop and think about how we treat others. The recent case of Mica Miller broadcasts this loudly. A pastor's wife, loved by many; but her husband was cruel to her when she was the most vulnerable and it sent her over the edge.

Reactions: Bob