Suicide; The Unforgivable Sin Against The Body = I Samuel 31;4-6

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many who commit suicide are mentally ill or temporarily insane. Let's not be too judgmental.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter tried to end her life two weeks ago and ended up in intensive care , she came to stay with me and her brother on Thursday …..she conveyed that something just switched in her brain, she has been in a depression for about six months.
There were many things that contributed to the depression and I have been praying for the whole family , and praying that good will come out of the situation…and that appears to be happening.
God is working in this situation……now if the ambulance team had not got to her when they did it would have been too late and she would have died and would have come under the condemnation of many here …..yet God is working and hearing my prayers for my daughter………what does that tell you about how God views things xxxxx
Rita

• Love
Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My daughter tried to end her life two weeks ago and ended up in intensive care , she came to stay with me and her brother on Thursday …..she conveyed that something just switched in her brain, she has been in a depression for about six months.
There were many things that contributed to the depression and I have been praying for the whole family , and praying that good will come out of the situation…and that appears to be happening.
God is working in this situation……now if the ambulance team had not got to her when they did it would have been too late and she would have died and would have come under the condemnation of many here …..yet God is working and hearing my prayers for my daughter………what does that tell you about how God views things xxxxx
Rita

Wow. I'm sorry to hear of this but I am happy that your daughter pulled through.

God doesn't throw away his children and we are ALL his children. God's loving grace is extended to ALL!

Reactions: Rita

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suicide; The Unforgivable Sin Against The Body = I Samuel 31;4-6

*** Saul:

I Samuel 31;4-6

Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise upon his sword, and died with him. So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armourbearer, and all his men, that same day together.

II Samuel 1:5-10

And David said unto the young man that told him, How knowest thou that Saul and Jonathan his son be dead? And the young man that told him said, As I happened by chance upon mount Gilboa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear; and, lo, the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him. And when he looked behind him, he saw me, and called unto me. And I answered, Here am I. And he said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite. He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me. So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen: and I took the crown that was upon his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them hither unto my lord.

*** Ahithophel:

II Samuel 17:1

Moreover Ahithophel said unto Absalom, Let me now choose out twelve thousand men, and I will arise and pursue after David this night:

II Samuel 17: 6-7

And when Hushai was come to Absalom, Absalom spake unto him, saying, Ahithophel hath spoken after this manner: shall we do after his saying? If not; speak thou. And Hushai said unto Absalom, The counsel that Ahithophel hath given is not good at this time.

II Samuel 17:14

And Absalom and all the men of Israel said, The counsel of Hushai the Archite is better than the counsel of Ahithophel. For the LORD had appointed to defeat the good counsel of Ahithophel, to the intent that the LORD might bring evil upon Absalom.

II Samuel 17:23

And when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his ass, and arose, and gat him home to his house, to his city, and put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulchre of his father.

*** Zimri:

I Kings 16:10

And Zimri went in and smote him, and killed him, in the twenty and seventh year of Asa king of Judah, and reigned in his stead.

I Kings 16:15-18

In the twenty and seventh year of Asa king of Judah did Zimri reign seven days in Tirzah. And the people were encamped against Gibbethon, which belonged to the Philistines. And the people that were encamped heard say, Zimri hath conspired, and hath also slain the king: wherefore all Israel made Omri, the captain of the host, king over Israel that day in the camp. And Omri went up from Gibbethon, and all Israel with him, and they besieged Tirzah. And it came to pass, when Zimri saw that the city was taken, that he went into the palace of the king's house, and burnt the king's house over him with fire, and died.

*** Judas Iscariot:

Matthew 27:3-5

Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? See thou to that. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:16-19

Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

AMEN
Many theologians and religions adamantly have long dismissed any suggestion that the resurrection of the unrighteous may include those who commit suicide. As far as the ones who took their own lives, we humans cannot judge as to whether they will get a resurrection or not. I am only aware of four instances-in the Bible-where suicide is mentioned: 1 Samuel 31:4, 5; 2 Samuel 17:23; 1 Kings 16:8-20; Matthew 27:5. As for Judas, we can discern that there will be no resurrection hope. See Mark 14:21; John 17:12; Hebrews 10:26.

Life is a gift from God, not something to be abused or to end at one’s own hand. (James 1:17) Hence, the Scriptures encourage us to see ourselves, not as immortal souls, but as valuable creations of the God who loves us, who treasures our being alive, and who looks forward with joy to the time of the resurrection. (Job 14:14, 15) Jesus, having paid “a ransom in exchange for many,” is within his right to extend mercy, even to some self-murderers, by resurrecting them and giving them the precious opportunity to “repent and turn to God by doing works that befit repentance.”-Acts 26:20.

Granted, one who takes his own life deprives themselves of the opportunity to repent of their self-murder. But who can say whether one driven to suicide might have had a change of heart had if his attempt failed? Some notorious murderers have, in fact, changed and earned God’s forgiveness during their lifetimes. (2 Kings 21:16; 2 Chronicles 33:12, 13) They, like us, will still need the “ransom” to lift ourselves to perfection; and, judgment will be determined by what we do after the resurrection is complete.-1 John 4:8-10.

While suicide is never righteous and cannot be justified, it is comforting to remember that the future prospects of our loved ones rest with a God who fully understands that weaknesses and frailties such as mental illness, extreme stress, depression, and genetic defects could push one to such desperate action. He “well knows the formation of us, remembering that we are dust.” (Psalm 103:11-14) God alone searches “all hearts and every inclination of the thoughts.” (1 Chronicles 28:9) But we may be confident that “the Judge of all the earth is going to do what is loving, just, and right.”-Genesis 18:25.

The apostle Paul did hold out a beautiful hope for even some unrighteous ones. As he told a Roman court of law: “I have hope toward God…that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.”-Acts 24:15.