Summarize what the good news is, find a scripture.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dschelpe

Nov 27, 2021
Edegem
Faith
Christian
Country
Belgium
Well, I can say welcome to the proud crowd.
How many people think that the ten summary of Laws in chapter 20 are in fact "THE" Ten Commandments.
If it makes you feel better, it took the Jews a little while to catch on....because they refer to them in Deuteronomy 4:13 and 10:4.
But the Mosaic Laws do not apply to Christianity.

Of the ten summaries of laws in chapter 20, a few cannot be a part of Christian beliefs.
The Jewish Sabbath is on Saturday....we do not observe the Jewish Sabbath.
We recognize Yeshua and the Holy Spirit as Gods and that would get you killed in the Old Testament.
The prohibition on engraved images....we do not observe and have blown that out the window.
Women are not listed in the property of men as far as coveting. Of course we should not lust over another man's wife...but it is the way it worded.

Christ did not do away with them....and said nothing about them can change...until all thing are fulfilled.
What does fulfilled mean? That is a debate.
The Jews are not in our Covenant with God....so of course they believe that they are in the "Old Covenant" with God and the Laws still apply to them~~~ of course you have the Talmud and modern beliefs regarding the Mosaic Laws because if you tried to obey them now....you would end up in prison.
@Grailhunter Thank you so much for this lessons and your patience and time. So much still I have to learn, but I want it to be right.
Meanwhile, I do love a good story.
Many thanks and may the Lord Bless your ways.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which means that opposition to the deity of Christ is from Satan, who blinds the minds of those who do not desire the truth.
But the Good News is not that Christ is God Almighty (regardless of one's position on or understanding of the Nature of Christ), but that while we were yet sinners, God commended His love toward us by giving His only begotten Son to die for us. Is this not so?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Grailhunter Thank you so much for this lessons and your patience and time. So much still I have to learn, but I want it to be right.
Meanwhile, I do love a good story.
Many thanks and may the Lord Bless your ways.
Welcome to the forum!

It is popular today for Christians to teach that the ten commandments are no longer the law of God for a Christian, but just a few decades ago it was not so. Unfortunately, the popularity of this doctrine has proliferated to the point that it is almost universal. The Bible teaches that the commandment is holy, and just, and good. All those who hunger and thirst after righteousness will be filled. None need be deceived. :)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

It is popular today for Christians to teach that the ten commandments are no longer the law of God for a Christian, but just a few decades ago it was not so. Unfortunately, the popularity of this doctrine has proliferated to the point that it is almost universal. The Bible teaches that the commandment is holy, and just, and good. All those who hunger and thirst after righteousness will be filled. None need be deceived. :)

Well to be honest the definition of holy, just, and good has changed. Why the Mosaic Law? Well we can say nice things about it. God had a reason...and I will leave it at that.

But a lot of Christians are not going to see selling your daughter as a sex slave as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see polygamy as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see women as property as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see women not having a choice of who they marry as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see Yahweh rules of war as holy, just, and good. As in kill all that breaths and do not forget the little ones and keep the virgins for yourself. That is not how Christians fight wars.

The old saying, it is what it is....is the best way to understand the Old Testament.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But the Good News is not that Christ is God Almighty (regardless of one's position on or understanding of the Nature of Christ), but that while we were yet sinners, God commended His love toward us by giving His only begotten Son to die for us. Is this not so?
Yes. But if God's Son was not God Almighty also, His death would have accomplished nothing. The penalty for sins would have remained unpaid. And God's love for sinners would not have been accessible through Christ.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. But if God's Son was not God Almighty also, His death would have accomplished nothing. The penalty for sins would have remained unpaid. And God's love for sinners would not have been accessible through Christ.
Pure contrivance, illogical and anti-Scriptural.

“Christ” means Anointed, not God incarnate. Who was Christ Anointed by? God, in his unitarian nature.

Scripture says Jesus is our ONLY mediator to God. Therefore, he cannot be God or we have no mediator. Also, Scripture says explicitly For us, there is only one God, the Father. Hard to imagine a more anti-trinitarian verse.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can be convicted by one Law, you can be convicted by 613 and you are a Jew.
Gentiles were in the covenant along with the Jews, and the same law applied to them as to the Jew.
And many laws simply do not apply to me, personally, just as they don't apply to many Jews, and for the same reason.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could point to 1000 conditions that led to Calvary and call them "essential." Is that wise?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well to be honest the definition of holy, just, and good has changed. Why the Mosaic Law? Well we can say nice things about it. God had a reason...and I will leave it at that.

But a lot of Christians are not going to see selling your daughter as a sex slave as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see polygamy as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see women as property as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see women not having a choice of who they marry as holy, just, and good.
A lot of Christians are not going to see Yahweh rules of war as holy, just, and good. As in kill all that breaths and do not forget the little ones and keep the virgins for yourself. That is not how Christians fight wars.

The old saying, it is what it is....is the best way to understand the Old Testament.
You equate the law of God in the Decalogue with the "613," which leads to convoluted thought and conclusions. Is that wise? Or even on-topic?

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gentiles were in the covenant along with the Jews, and the same law applied to them as to the Jew.

How do you figure that when Ex 20:2 says the covenant pertains specifically to those he rescued from the land of Egypt the place of the Hebrew slavery?

Exodus 20:1-3
New Living Translation

Ten Commandments for the Covenant Community
20 Then God gave the people all these instructions:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of your slavery.

3 “You must not have any other god but me.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And many laws simply do not apply to me, personally, just as they don't apply to many Jews, and for the same reason.

Well I have to disagree. As Yahweh said the Law was part of the Covenant with the Israelite Nation. Saying it applied to people that had not even heard of it would be illogical. The Pagans and those Pagans that converted to Christianity ....Gentiles knew very little of Judaism and did not care.

The Mosaic Law has nothing to do with Christian morality. Something that happened in the past, information that is important as far as how it all it got to Christ. But there is nothing lacking in the moral teaching of Christ and the Apostles that one would need to look at anything in the Old Testament to include in Christian morals.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You equate the law of God in the Decalogue with the "613," which leads to convoluted thought and conclusions. Is that wise? Or even on-topic?

No I state the facts.
Do you know where and when and why the term Decalogue came from.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I have to disagree. As Yahweh said the Law was part of the Covenant with the Israelite Nation. Saying it applied to people that had not even heard of it would be illogical. The Pagans and those Pagans that converted to Christianity ....Gentiles knew very little of Judaism and did not care.
Then how/why does the law condemn the whole world?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there is nothing lacking in the moral teaching of Christ and the Apostles that one would need to look at anything in the Old Testament to include in Christian morals.
Well, James certainly does not agree with you.

James 2:8-9

Leviticus 19:15

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you figure that when Ex 20:2 says the covenant pertains specifically to those he rescued from the land of Egypt the place of the Hebrew slavery?

Exodus 20:1-3
New Living Translation

Ten Commandments for the Covenant Community
20 Then God gave the people all these instructions:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of your slavery.

3 “You must not have any other god but me.
Exodus 12:37-38

Numbers 15:16

Exodus 12:49