Summarize what the good news is, find a scripture.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then how/why does the law condemn the whole world?

Now we know that what things so ever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I state the facts.
Do you know where and when and why the term Decalogue came from.
Everyone who is aggressive in debating "states the facts." The origin of the term "Decalogue" is of no consequence. I use it as a means of not having to use the term "ten commandments" incessantly. I dislike redundancy in writing. To assume, in this context, that the term "Decalogue" means anything else would only serve to obscure what is being discussed or to misrepresent my intentions.

The keeping of the ten commandments requires no such barbaric activity as you suggest, and you very likely know that. Let's be honest.

Reactions: dschelpe

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, James certainly does not agree with you.

James 2:8-9

Leviticus 19:15

Well open a thread.
I contend that you cannot love anyone without respect. And I think these scriptures have caused some issues in Christianity.
As far as singling out the Commandments to follow or in this case one law...that is considers sacrilegious in Judaism. You cannot under any circumstances change or divide or single out the law without committing a great sin....sacrilege. If you follow one Law you have to follow all 613 Mosaic Laws.

What was James trying to say? If he was trying to subdivide the Law.....then as Christ would say.....he would be the least in heaven

The reason that the Torah, the Mosaic Law was written as one continuous word, is part of that point that you cannot pull anything from it and call it a Law....Kind of a patient in its day. No one could take bits and pieces of the Law and say it was God's Law.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone who is aggressive in debating "states the facts." The origin of the term "Decalogue" is of no consequence. I use it as a means of not having to use the term "ten commandments" incessantly. I dislike redundancy in writing. To assume, in this context, that the term "Decalogue" means anything else would only serve to obscure what is being discussed or to misrepresent my intentions.

The keeping of the ten commandments requires no such barbaric activity as you suggest, and you very likely know that. Let's be honest.

Warning! As a whole, if you find a word that is not in the scriptures, that is trying to project a meaning or doctrine....99 percent of the time is is false and it is trying to get you to believe something that is a lie, that some human, wants you to believe.

First off we would have to define what you think the ten commandments are as opposed to what God called the ten commandments.
And keep in mind that the there is no indication that the 10 summary of laws in chapter 20....were ever written on the tablets.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well open a thread.
I contend that you cannot love anyone without respect. And I think these scriptures have caused some issues in Christianity.
As far as singling out the Commandments to follow or in this case one law...that is considers sacrilegious in Judaism. You cannot under any circumstances change or divide or single out the law without committing a great sin....sacrilege. If you follow one Law you have to follow all 613 Mosaic Laws.

What was James trying to say? If he was trying to subdivide the Law.....then as Christ would say.....he would be the least in heaven

The reason that the Torah, the Mosaic Law was written as one continuous word, is part of that point that you cannot pull anything from it and call it a Law....Kind of a patient in its day. No one could take bits and pieces of the Law and say it was God's Law.
I think a few threads need to be opened. Most, if not all, of the fanciful ideas circulated in modern Christianity were nowhere to be found 100 years ago, and I have a hard time believing that the 20th century brought about all the reform that was required to correct the erroneous first 19 centuries of the church's history, especially given all the testimony of the New Testament regarding apostasy in the end-time.

And the Good News is:

Romans 11:5 Parallel: Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Warning! As a whole, if you find a word that is not in the scriptures, that is trying to project a meaning or doctrine....99 percent of the time is is false and it is trying to get you to believe something that is a lie, that some human, wants you to believe.

First off we would have to define what you think the ten commandments are as opposed to what God called the ten commandments.
And keep in mind that the there is no indication that the 10 summary of laws in chapter 20....were ever written on the tablets.
You presuppose things that are foreign to me. I think we've reached an impasse in basic theology and orthodoxy regarding the law. Further discussion is only likely to inflame division. And I'm not interested in an exercise in stamina in the pursuit of winning an argument. I'm trying to cut down on that these days. :)

Reactions: Grailhunter

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a woman, a priest, a Levite, an employer/slave owner, or a farmer.
How many laws are we down to now, for me, personally?
So, you can see, the law is very much subdivided.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a woman, a priest, a Levite, an employer/slave owner, or a farmer.
How many laws are we down to now, for me, personally?
So, you can see, the law is very much subdivided.

LOL LOL I do not say the the Law does not have categories.
You cannot pick the Law apart and decide which ones you are going to follow. LOL

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God wrote what was on the first set of tablets onto the second set of tablets. When God wrote on the second set of tablets, Moses was instructed to write additional laws that the Lord gave him.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You cannot pick the Law apart and decide which ones you are going to follow. LOL
I can tell you which ones I don't have to literally follow. And the reason why. (I'm not a woman, or a priest, etc.)
And yet all the law of Moses is fulfilled and satisfied by faith in Christ and no charge of law breaking is leveled against those who believe in Christ and walk by the Spirit.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 12:37-38

Numbers 15:16

Exodus 12:49

These verses are excellent to support equality under the law argument. These verses do not say the law applies to Gentiles generally, only a handful of sojourners who traveled in the Israeli community who left Egypt.

Then how/why does the law condemn the whole world?

Interesting question. The whole world is condemned as fallen offspring of Adam, who was not Hebrew.

Scripture says the world will be blessed through God's chosen people but Ex 20:2 makes it clear this blessing that applies to the whole world is not the Decalogue as @BarnyFife calls it. I hold that blessing is the Savior, which NT Scripture makes explicit pertain to Gentiles, generally, as well as Jews.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God wrote what was on the first set of tablets onto the second set of tablets. When God wrote on the second set of tablets,

As I said there is no indication that the summary of laws in chapter 20 were ever written on either tablets.
But the Ten Laws that Yahweh called the Ten Commandments are listed in chapter 34 and those are the Commandment that Moses wrote on the Tablets.

Moses was instructed to write additional laws that the Lord gave him.
If Moses was wrote "additional laws" on the tablets....please provide scriptures