Sustainable Living

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello all,

I was just curious as to whether anybody here has looked into this type of thing, or even followed through and actually did it.

My counselor ( I have to do this program thing for parole...since i've had a couple of setbacks) just told me about the following today:

Off-Grid Self Sufficient Living, Permaculture, Homesteading, Living Eco Machines (bioveda.co)

DIY Aircrete 200-Square-foot Dome and Loft Construction (onecommunityglobal.org)

Earthbag construction - Wikipedia

3 Ways to Build a Homemade Hydroponics System - wikiHow

Off-Grid Self Sufficient Living, Permaculture, Homesteading, Living Eco Machines (bioveda.co)

DomeGaia Home

It all sounds very interesting as I am all for sustainability and growing my own food and such.

I told him that I would probably post this topic about it, because it could aid me in researching it. I think better when I'm tapping away on this keyboard, in a discussion setting, so I hope you good forumers will contribute!
if it interests you Tone, I live off grid. :)

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Tone

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Tone From what I can remember, the best states in the US that have cities without building codes are Colorado and Arizona. Missouri has some places where the codes aren't enforced, but eventually that could change and they pop up and start messing with your digs.

I'm not for tiny houses portable houses. They don't make sense. First of all, you have barely any space and no real toilet, and you spend $25,000 building a house about the size of a small bathroom. I think it's for hippies on Instagram.

RV is much more efficient and will always be. You can get your solar panels set up, Starlink for internet ANYWHERE, cook food, and use an actual toilet. You have a bed at the very least. You might even have like 2-3 hidden beds for company. Or animals. I knew an old vet who sold deer, beef, and elk jerky on the side of the highway out of his RV. He sold each pack for $12-13. As a teenager, he gave me $1 for every one I sold. Made $22 in a couple of hours and that's how I found out he did very well for himself.

If I were to do this I would probably just get a mobile home and put it on the property and then make it as sustainable as possible. Sometimes people give them out for free, even though moving them can cost a few thousand depending on the distance.

I think the cob house has to be on something like wheels. I wonder how well it would work to take apart a junk RV to use as a foundation and build over it.

Edit: I have an uncle that had a bunch of old school buses. He used to convert them into cool places for his kids to hang out.

You might think a wonderbag is pretty cool, too.
In the states in what is termed "tornado alley" it would be best not to live in a mobile home or travel trailer. Travel trailers are easily damaged by storms (happened to us when we lived in one while my son was ill).

A good underground saferoom is a must ...a storm shelter, and hopefully not one of those stupid things that gets water in it and has to be pumped out every so often. If I was going to do a storm shelter, I wouldn't waste my money on one of those commercially built water (snake, spider, rat) traps. Best to build your own, or at least have something built into the side of a hill ...a good walk out basement, or something like that.

I do see the logic in restoring an older mobile home, but you have to have the means to get it to your property. That can be thousands, depending on location. Building an earthbag structure would be under $4,000-5000 for a nice sized 2 or 3 room dwelling. Again, that depends on sourcing materials. I'm just estimating based on what that family on the YT channel built. That was before the recent soar in prices due to "Covid." Theirs costed under $3,000.

Also, find a state that gives homestead exemptions (on property taxes). At least at this time, some states still do that.

It's late and I should go back to bed. lol

I love this topic. :)

Reactions: Tone

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, this is more what I had in mind, but I do know (or heard) that there is a lot of new agey type stuff surrounding this topic, but, hey...we can learn good things from anybody right?
Right. It's true, lots of new age people are into this. I find it odd, since in my parents generation, it was just everyday life. Another group that uses the term are vegans, but they don't really live what they preach.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I follow a bunch of toutube channels who are Christian and they are doing the homestead life...some are off grid. But their main goal is to raise as much of their own food as possible. So, it's not just a new age thing. There is nothing inherently wrong with wanting to be self sufficient. It is just a desire to get back to a system that honors God more and is good for the family.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Off grid living is difficult. It's not an easy lifestyle whatsoever.

Especially if you are not going to be allowed a rifle. Crossbows, compound bows, and trapping are going to be mainstays for game meats... otherwise I'd recommend goats and pigs. Forget about chickens...ducks and geese are much easier. A work horse or two are nice...but so are oxen. You are going to have a difficult time getting property with water or water rights...and that's going to be crucial. And the one thing that everyone likes to forget about is the latrine. You are going to need one... especially around the end of your first year when you find yourself getting sick from not having one all year.
Salt and a food cache is your life. Shelter is important. But most of your day is going to be spent centered around your food supply. (And cooking)

Chainsaws are an almost essential for forrested areas. Otherwise just a couple saws and axes. Gasoline and oil are consumables

Electricity is going to be a luxury...and a necessity. A windmill, alternator and marine battery storage with a inverter isn't going to be out of the realm of possibilities for things like a radio to call out for help if needed. Or a waterfall or steep hillside with a creek can produce juice. Unless it dries up or freezes.

No cell phone, no internet access, and no crowds.

And just remember the golden rule...there is just enough brains in every animal to tan it's own hide. That includes you.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't allow anyone to discourage you from living as sustainably and self sufficiently as possible. Goodness, my family lived without running water for a good while. We didn't get sick because of using a "thunder bucket" in a closet (for emergencies) or an outhouse, or using alternative ways to wash clothes, bathing in a metal tub on an enclosed back porch ...raising a garden, chickens, and geese...pigs, etc. And besides...if it's such a horrible thing, how did people do it for thousands of years without electricity? It's healthier to work for your food (not to mention, less taxes bc you're not paying for food in a grocery store), and not having all that radiation bombarding your body...getting more affordable organic produce, organic and pasture raised meats...more sunshine and fresh air...less stress (although stress of a different kind at timed) and better sleep.

Plenty of states have land available with water rights ...ponds, springs, creeks, etc....and there are other ways of getting water.

Take a look at these YT channels.
"Off-grid with Doug and Stacy"
"Lumnah Acres"
"My Self Reliance"

If you want something middle of the road, try... Deep South Homestead.

It's going to be vital to learn and know these skills with the way things are going. Those who prepare will be grateful they did.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Latrines don't have to be very complicated... usually just a deep hole in the ground.

It's about keeping the bacteria contained to an area that drains sufficiently and is far enough away (100ft) from fresh water supplies and farming fields.

It can be a "lagoon" but the smell in the summer will likely make you wish you went a different direction.
And for whatever reason frogs love lagoons.

You can have just a long deep trench with an opening covered by the outhouse. A latrine isn't necessarily a means of indoor plumbing. It can be if you use plumbing and have a pump and etc. But again all this is a lot of work taking time away from groceries.

But it's possible as you get established to continue to work on labor saving projects.

Growing peas, beans, and starchy foods (potatoes, corn, wheat, barley, oats) will help keep your diet balanced in extreme climate places. And help with the all important calorie intake. Liver, and fatty foods will be your friend.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Use sawdust in your toilet ...composting toilets are very popular and it really helps with the smell.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Don't allow anyone to discourage you from living as sustainably and self sufficiently as possible.
Self-sufficiency is not the same as sustainability, which is a buzzword meant to destroy self-sufficiency. A good example is how the forests in California have been destroyed by the climate activists (climate Nazis?) who keep chanting *sustainability*. They actively blocked the clearing and burning of the undergrowth in those forests, when that is an essential part of maintaining the health and viability of forests. Then the fires raged in these forests and people who chose to be self-sufficient had to flee. While millions of trees were burned to the ground for no good reason. No doubt some of these activists were also arsonists.

The New World Order does not want people to be self-sufficient. They want people running to governments for handouts, and that is exactly what Biden is doing right now. Buying votes with handouts, and claiming that *Climate Change* is the biggest hazard facing humanity. Which is total rubbish.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if it interests you Tone, I live off grid. :)

Yeah, off grid is cool, but i'm not talking about that necessarily. I thought off grid meant off the internet too? Anywho, I'm not sure what off grid entails, but I like the idea of minimalist and self-sufficient living.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Travel trailers are easily damaged by storms (happened to us when we lived in one while my son was ill)

Yeah, I like the idea of something compact, yet roomy as possible to deal with high winds and storms.

A good underground saferoom is a must ...a storm shelter

Hmmm Mhmmm, this is why the cob structures are interesting...can probably dig one right into a hill, or rocky outcrop. I also saw a picture of a cob unit standing amidst a bunch of wiped out homes...maybe from a tornado or hurricane. I think I read something about them being able to float as well.

Building an earthbag structure would be under $4,000-5000 for a nice sized 2 or 3 room dwelling. Again, that depends on sourcing materials.

Very doable. So, I would just need to locate a nice plot(s) of land, where I won't be hassled...?

find a state that gives homestead exemptions (on property taxes)

I'm all over it.

Thanks!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
likes to forget about is the latrine

Ha ha...yeah, I figured a big ole water tank can be sunk in a good spot with some hole riddled mainline pipes lying in some trenches with a foot or two of filter rocks. You know a divided tank where the solids stay on one side to be broken down and the liquid is siphoned off away from the water table.

I'm no stranger to hard work...it's one of my spiritual gifts!

It's going to be vital to learn and know these skills with the way things are going. Those who prepare will be grateful they did.

Agreed. A large portion of the Messianic movement (aka Hebrew Roots Movement) i identify with emphasizes such skills, which I attribute to being in tune with the natural cycles of planting and harvesting as well as observing the Biblical Festivals, especially Sukkot (Tabernacles), when whole congregations plan and execute all the logistics necessary for mass camping. Plus there is the idea of the Greater Exodus (The Greater Exodus (hebroots.com)

I can't say that I've looked into everything associated with the movement in depth, but I agree with very much of what I have encountered and I have a natural interest, in the ability to go mobile at a moments notice and thrive on the move in the wildlands. Hey, back in the days when I played D&D stoned and/or on acid...you best believe I was a Druid/Ranger with an affinity with the forest and the ability to communicate with animals...ha ha...ha...

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very doable. So, I would just need to locate a nice plot(s) of land, where I won't be hassled...?
Yes...land prices are very good in Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee. I think even Texas has good land prices. I'd look for something with some good hills and a spring or well. There is already a good homestead/off-grid community in Missouri. Maine and New Hampshire have a lot of off-grid properties, but wow....the cold!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm Mhmmm, this is why the cob structures are interesting...can probably dig one right into a hill, or rocky outcrop. I also saw a picture of a cob unit standing amidst a bunch of wiped out homes...maybe from a tornado or hurricane. I think I read something about them being able to float as well.
Try this...

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Earthship homes are ones that are built into a hill ...earth berm, etc. Your whole front side of the house would be like an atrium or greenhouse/sunroom for growing food, aquaponics, etc.

Building with a dome roof and curved walls adds strength against tornadoes and earthquakes.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes...land prices are very good in Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee. I think even Texas has good land prices. I'd look for something with some good hills and a spring or well. There is already a good homestead/off-grid community in Missouri. Maine and New Hampshire have a lot of off-grid properties, but wow....the cold!

Yeah, I'm a South Cali. boy...so...cold is one of my worse enemies...

But, you know what the Good Book says about loving ones enemies...uh oh...

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks like an interesting tool, but I don't buy into the belief that burning wood causes pollution or is dangerous to the climate.

Well, it's bad for the lungs, I know that...

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm a South Cali. boy...so...cold is one of my worse enemies...

But, you know what the Good Book says about loving ones neighbor...uh oh...
It can get cold in some of those more "southern" states, but nothing like New Hampshire or Maine. lol