Sustainable Living

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all,

I was just curious as to whether anybody here has looked into this type of thing, or even followed through and actually did it.

My counselor ( I have to do this program thing for parole...since i've had a couple of setbacks) just told me about the following today:

Off-Grid Self Sufficient Living, Permaculture, Homesteading, Living Eco Machines (bioveda.co)

DIY Aircrete 200-Square-foot Dome and Loft Construction (onecommunityglobal.org)

Earthbag construction - Wikipedia

3 Ways to Build a Homemade Hydroponics System - wikiHow

Off-Grid Self Sufficient Living, Permaculture, Homesteading, Living Eco Machines (bioveda.co)

DomeGaia Home

It all sounds very interesting as I am all for sustainability and growing my own food and such.

I told him that I would probably post this topic about it, because it could aid me in researching it. I think better when I'm tapping away on this keyboard, in a discussion setting, so I hope you good forumers will contribute!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, during this phone conversation with my counselor, the whole code enforcement thing came up and how the rules are all geared to fattening the pockets of companies that have been in the game for a long time, which is why there is not widespread move to redo the landscape with sustainability as the primary focus. He said something like, "Yeah they're building their empire." And I said, "Yeah, they're building Rome."...meaning a kingdom that is not centered on Elohim, but on the almighty dollar.

Anyways, just some more thoughts.

Thanks.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, during this phone conversation with my counselor, the whole code enforcement thing came up and how the rules are all geared to fattening the pockets of companies that have been in the game for a long time, which is why there is not widespread move to redo the landscape with sustainability as the primary focus. He said something like, "Yeah they're building their empire." And I said, "Yeah, they're building Rome."...meaning a kingdom that is not centered on Elohim, but on the almighty dollar.

Anyways, just some more thoughts.

Thanks.
Are you talking about portable living or are you talking about an actual homestead?

From what I know, if you're building on your own land, in most places in the US you do not need a permit so long as your "house" isn't touching the ground. Looks like you're looking at cob houses. That's going to be a little bit harder depending on where you're planning on doing it.

Anyway, there's lots of ways to grow stuff. Aquaponics is a good method. You can raise fish like tilapia or something and they'll fertilize the plants. Good in a greenhouse. Vermicomposting is worth looking into for you from the sound of it.

"Garbage Warrior" is a good documentary for you if you're looking into this stuff and it's a good one to study if you are considering cob structures, because this guy made so many amazing pieces with trash but also didn't consider how hot things could get and already melted stuff inside one of the homes. You can learn from his mistakes.

I lived on a farm and I've researched this stuff for years and years. Just in case something happens and I need to know how to survive without all of the luxuries today.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am very interested in this topic as well, and have been for several years.

Look into ways to feed animals off your own land. Your garden can feed your chickens and your chickens can feed your garden. Also, you can farm/raise black soldier fly larvae to feed your chickens.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are certain breeds of cattle that require little to no supplement feeding, such as zebus, jersey, and dexter, for instance. There is a breed of pigs called Idaho Pasture Pigs ...and the Kunekune who will eat grass.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are certain breeds of cattle that require little to no supplement feeding, such as zebus, jersey, and dexter, for instance. There is a breed of pigs called Idaho Pasture Pigs ...and the Kunekune who will eat grass.
Hey, TLHKAJ, didn't you have a homesteading thread going on?

I bet if you posted that one here, Tone could benefit from a lot from that one. From what I saw last time, you had a lot of great stuff posted on there. Can't remember what it was called.

It had pretty much all of the things. Really handy.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, TLHKAJ, didn't you have a homesteading thread going on?

I bet if you posted that one here, Tone could benefit from a lot from that one. From what I saw last time, you had a lot of great stuff posted on there. Can't remember what it was called.

It had pretty much all of the things. Really handy.
Yes, I have a thread on this topic. :)
Gardening, Homesteading, Off-grid, etc

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you talking about portable living or are you talking about an actual homestead?

Hmmm, I had to look portable living up. Well, yeah I think i'd like to do both. I have this ministry vision that involves high mobility with a bit of semi-permanent (if that makes any sense) structures used as hubs and /or depots. And those cob houses seem legit...cob hubs.

From what I know, if you're building on your own land, in most places in the US you do not need a permit so long as your "house" isn't touching the ground.

Oh wow, this is good to know...I wonder if an elevated cob would work...a cob on a stick...ha ha.

Well, I'm in California (probably one of the most bureaucratic places), but I'm more than willing to relocate to any place where code enforcement is low, yet, it would have to be in reach of a major city. Hmmmm...I just thought about Tijuana...or someplace like that...maybe somewhere on the Texas border. Or maybe parts of Canada will be ideal.

Looks like you're looking at cob houses. That's going to be a little bit harder depending on where you're planning on doing it.

Yeah, I will look into the prime spot to lay down some roots, and when it is flourishing, then it's time to propagate.

Aquaponics is a good method. You can raise fish like tilapia or something and they'll fertilize the plants. Good in a greenhouse. Vermicomposting is worth looking into for you from the sound of it.

Oooooh nice thank you!

What is Aquaponics? | The Aquaponic Source

Vermicomposting: All You Need to Know | Planet Natural

"Garbage Warrior" is a good documentary for you if you're looking into this stuff

Thanks!

I lived on a farm and I've researched this stuff for years and years. Just in case something happens and I need to know how to survive without all of the luxuries today.

That's cool, yeah I've always been interested in farm life, horticulture and agriculture. I wanted to be a Forester so I took some botany, ecology, and several other bio. sci. courses. But, I've had my struggles and not much of what I wanted has come to pass, but I have experienced some things that kinda kept me going in the same direction. I ended up going to fire camp when I was incarcerated and have experience with wildland firefighting. And when I was released I obtained a groundskeeping position with a huge Christian camp and conference center, then I did some commercial landscaping. Most recently, I worked with an environmental restoration company. So, I've learned a lot of stuff that relates to Forestry and I have a good sense of how to somewhat survive in the wild...at least in the South Cali. area.

But, yeah, I'd like to step my game up with other environments...I've always been drawn to the deep woods. When I was in Teen Challenge, we drove from L.A. to Montana (Kootenai National Forest) to work with the catering company that was feeding hundreds of firefighters (this is before I fought fire) that were battling a huge blaze...man that place is beautiful--I so wanna go back.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure I have looked into this pretty extensively. The way we are set up here living off grid would not be impossible. We heat exclusively with firewood. We have a wood cook stove that we use a lot in the winter. Really the biggest hurdle would be how to store food without freezers and refrigeration. But you can salt and smoke meat. Dry or can vegetables. I would have to put a hand pump in on our well, but I don't think that's impossible, it's not a really super deep well. But even the Amish people I know still buy some stuff at the store. We buy flour in 50 lb bags, etc. I know how to tan hides and make all my own clothing, and could pretty much live off wild game if I had to. You know what state intrigues me is Idaho. If I was going to head out West that would be my first place to check out.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It all sounds very interesting as I am all for sustainability and growing my own food and such.
You should be fully aware that the term "sustainability" is a New World Order buzzword for destroying lives and economies, while a handful of globalist elites fly around the world claiming that the sky is falling down, while they pollute the atmosphere in their private jets. In other words it is more HOGWASH. The people promoting sustainability are the biggest hypocrites on earth, but they are also very dangerous and evil.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Tone From what I can remember, the best states in the US that have cities without building codes are Colorado and Arizona. Missouri has some places where the codes aren't enforced, but eventually that could change and they pop up and start messing with your digs.

I'm not for tiny houses portable houses. They don't make sense. First of all, you have barely any space and no real toilet, and you spend $25,000 building a house about the size of a small bathroom. I think it's for hippies on Instagram.

RV is much more efficient and will always be. You can get your solar panels set up, Starlink for internet ANYWHERE, cook food, and use an actual toilet. You have a bed at the very least. You might even have like 2-3 hidden beds for company. Or animals. I knew an old vet who sold deer, beef, and elk jerky on the side of the highway out of his RV. He sold each pack for $12-13. As a teenager, he gave me $1 for every one I sold. Made $22 in a couple of hours and that's how I found out he did very well for himself.

If I were to do this I would probably just get a mobile home and put it on the property and then make it as sustainable as possible. Sometimes people give them out for free, even though moving them can cost a few thousand depending on the distance.

I think the cob house has to be on something like wheels. I wonder how well it would work to take apart a junk RV to use as a foundation and build over it.

Edit: I have an uncle that had a bunch of old school buses. He used to convert them into cool places for his kids to hang out.

You might think a wonderbag is pretty cool, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all,

I was just curious as to whether anybody here has looked into this type of thing, or even followed through and actually did it.

My counselor ( I have to do this program thing for parole...since i've had a couple of setbacks) just told me about the following today:

DIY Aircrete 200-Square-foot Dome and Loft Construction (onecommunityglobal.org)

Earthbag construction - Wikipedia

3 Ways to Build a Homemade Hydroponics System - wikiHow

DomeGaia Home

I told him that I would probably post this topic about it, because it could aid me in researching it. I think better when I'm tapping away on this keyboard, in a discussion setting, so I hope you good forumers will contribute!

Chickens for eggs is great, Goats for milk (and they keep the vegetation down), plant a garden and you're good. Bread is pretty cheap as a staple.

Reactions: Tone and DuckieLady

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should be fully aware that the term "sustainability" is a New World Order buzzword for destroying lives and economies, while a handful of globalist elites fly around the world claiming that the sky is falling down, while they pollute the atmosphere in their private jets. In other words it is more HOGWASH. The people promoting sustainability are the biggest hypocrites on earth, but they are also very dangerous and evil.
Some of them, sure. But not everyone that uses the word is a global elitist. It's just another way of saying living within your means and producing your own food and such as much as possible.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Tone

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some of them, sure. But not everyone that uses the word is a global elitist. It's just another way of saying living within your means and producing your own food and such as much as possible.
Fair enough. But that is called "self-sufficiency". The globalist elites do not want people to have self-sufficiency. They want everyone to be a ward of the state so that they have full control over lives and freedoms (Satan's agenda).

The globalists are presently trying to destroy the farmers of India, most of whom have small holdings. They want giant agri-corporations to take over and control the markets and the livelihoods of these people. And Prime Minister Modi is going along with this betrayal. That's why the farmers have been protesting for months, yet he won't back off. This is all in the name of so-called "sustainability" but it is totally evil.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure I have looked into this pretty extensively. The way we are set up here living off grid would not be impossible. We heat exclusively with firewood. We have a wood cook stove that we use a lot in the winter. Really the biggest hurdle would be how to store food without freezers and refrigeration. But you can salt and smoke meat. Dry or can vegetables. I would have to put a hand pump in on our well, but I don't think that's impossible, it's not a really super deep well. But even the Amish people I know still buy some stuff at the store. We buy flour in 50 lb bags, etc. I know how to tan hides and make all my own clothing, and could pretty much live off wild game if I had to. You know what state intrigues me is Idaho. If I was going to head out West that would be my first place to check out.

Yeah, a lot of the Kootenai Forest is in Idaho! And then there's the Idaho spud...with green eyes.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh really...well...

I just mean using all resources as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible.

Burn the money...hunt for the treasure.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Tone From what I can remember, the best states in the US that have cities without building codes are Colorado and Arizona. Missouri has some places where the codes aren't enforced, but eventually that could change and they pop up and start messing with your digs.

I'm not for tiny houses portable houses. They don't make sense. First of all, you have barely any space and no real toilet, and you spend $25,000 building a house about the size of a small bathroom. I think it's for hippies on Instagram.

RV is much more efficient and will always be. You can get your solar panels set up, Starlink for internet ANYWHERE, cook food, and use an actual toilet. You have a bed at the very least. You might even have like 2-3 hidden beds for company. Or animals. I knew an old vet who sold deer, beef, and elk jerky on the side of the highway out of his RV. He sold each pack for $12-13. As a teenager, he gave me $1 for every one I sold. Made $22 in a couple of hours and that's how I found out he did very well for himself.

If I were to do this I would probably just get a mobile home and put it on the property and then make it as sustainable as possible. Sometimes people give them out for free, even though moving them can cost a few thousand depending on the distance.

I think the cob house has to be on something like wheels. I wonder how well it would work to take apart a junk RV to use as a foundation and build over it.

Edit: I have an uncle that had a bunch of old school buses. He used to convert them into cool places for his kids to hang out.

You might think a wonderbag is pretty cool, too.

Ha ha, "hippies"...

I've always kinda liked the idea of living in a hippie commune.

I mean, not all of them went the way of Manson...or that other guy.

But yeah, I don't think I can do Arizona, because it's too hot. I've heard some other good things about Colorado though...hmm, thanks.

Yeah, I would probably go for a self-contained vehicle too...no trailers, like one of those cargo vans. And yeah, probably without a toilet too. I like to travel really light, ha ha.

Yum, jerky...that guy had it made! I thought about making some rainsticks and maybe selling them, but I'd have to have access to lots of Yucca, which may only grow in Cali...not sure.

But really I'm into relaying food and goods and maybe using a vehicle, like an RV as a mobile hub...with ebikes shooting off in all directions!

And also, treating it as a ministry that relays stuff to those in need and/or unable to travel themselves.

Also, being ready to respond to any natural disasters or other emergencies going down in whatever area we may be traveling through.

The cob house on wheels seems interesting. I wonder if that is doable...I would think that they'd be pretty heavy.

Ha ha your uncle sounds like one of my uncles (Radical AL) who lives out in the desert. He scavenged a whole playground from an abandoned airbase and since he's a mechanic, he has a bunch of old cars, trailers, and a bus or two I believe and his 10-12 (I lost count) kids had a field day tearing through it all...I did my fair share too of course! We're all "grown-up" now though...I guess.

I'll also have to check out the wonder bag too, thanks!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah, this is more what I had in mind, but I do know (or heard) that there is a lot of new agey type stuff surrounding this topic, but, hey...we can learn good things from anybody right?