SW - pt. 4 - Understanding Our Armor, pt.1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=12pt]It’s been said that the “best offense is a good defense” and that brings us to step 2: Understanding the Armor of God and how to use it. Let’s read Eph. 6:10-18 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11) Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13) Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.14) Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15) and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16) In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17) Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18) And pray in the Spirit on all [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt].” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] As you can see I’ve highlighted some parts of this section of scripture and underlined others. Hopefully this will make the parts I’m talking about easier to find. Let’s start with the highlighted sections. These involve activities that we must utilize to prepare ourselves for battle. In verse 10 we are told to “be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.” This isn’t an option or a suggestion, it’s a command. A command from God if you believe that the bible is inspired by Him. Weak believers are ineffective believers and God wants us to be effective for Him and to do our best at all times, not just when we feel like it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Christianity is very hard work but the Holy Spirit enables us to accomplish the tasks that God sets before us. Next in vs. 11 &13 we are told to “put on” the full armor of God. This also is something that we must do. We aren’t babies and it isn’t God’s job to dress us. In vs. 12 we are told of “our struggle”, not God’s. This is our battle to fight not God’s. He does, however, promise to assist us in our fight and He has provided our armor and armed us with the weapons of our warfare. It is up to us to “fight the good fight of faith”. You might be wondering to yourself, “Doesn’t the bible say the battle is the Lord’s!” That phrase is found in 1 Samuel 17:47 and it is telling of David’s fight with Goliath and we need to understand that David still had to go out and fight Goliath. As spiritual warriors our victories are offered up to the Lord to bring honor and glory to His name. As David fought for the honor of Israel and the God they served, so we in our spiritual battles fight for the name of Christ and as servants when we do anything in His name it is so He may receive the praise and glory, not us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I once went to an apostolic church that had written in their Sunday School materials and I quote, “Christians are never supposed to fight the devil we are to just plead the blood of Jesus for our protection”. Once I read that, I never went back to that church again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Unfortunately, there are many Christians out there who take that approach and then wonder why they never get the victory and are stuck living defeated lives. The most important pro-active thing we are to do comes next. Vs. 13 tells us to ”stand our ground and after you have done everything, to stand.” In 1 Chron. 21:1 it tells us that Satan stands against us and we must stand up against him. We must recognize his tactics. He accuses us (Rev. 12:10), making us feel unworthy, he devours our testimony for Christ (1Pet. 5:8), he hinders our work (1 Thess. 2:18), he tries to deceive us (2Cor. 11:14) and he tries to tempt us into immorality (1Cor. 7:5). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]As Christians we must guard against his attacks utilizing the armor and weapons God has supplied for these occasions. It is imperative that we stand our ground with forceful determination. We need to resolve in our spirits not to give a toehold to the enemy. In addition to our spiritual armor and weapons we must be knowledgeable of the bible as believers and adequately live the Christian lifestyle. We must possess an uprightness of conscience, live a godly and holy life, have a working knowledge of the scriptures and make daily intercessory prayer for the health and well-being of the church universal as well as your local body of believers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]As utilized within the context of Eph. 6:10-18, “prayer” obtains blessings and “supplications” avert evil. The wrestling or struggle it refers to in vs.12 is the type of combat we must do. This is a hand-to-hand, toe-to-toe, personal, individual struggle against the forces of evil that we as believers must engage in. A spiritual warrior must bring discipline to his/her thought life and actions. You must have a new attitude, a greater focus and a more balanced biblical world view. As noted earlier, spiritual warfare involves protecting our territory from outside invaders. We, as believers, should always stand and “face” our foe. There is no retreating or turning back.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Now that we understand the seriousness of our warfare and the inner determination it takes to fight against the rulers, authorities, powers and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms we come to our armor and the proper way of using this spiritual attire. I believe that the number three symbolizes completeness. Three is the number of the Holy Trinity which is our example of complete and total unity of mind, body and spirit. The number seven is the number of God and it is only fitting that the armor and weapons total seven. There are three outer pieces, the breastplate, the belt and the shoes and there are two defensive pieces, the shield and the helmet along with two offensive pieces, the sword (the word of God) and the spear (prayer). Eph. 6:10-18 doesn’t call prayer a spear but traditionally and historically, it has been utilized that way when referencing this passage.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The first part of our outer armor is the belt of truth. The KJV uses “having our loins girt about with truth.” We must wear this belt with all sincerity and good conscience. It’s possible that “truth” is mentioned first because lies and deception are the enemy’s most effective weapon. If the devil can succeed in deceiving us then, in a manner of speaking, he has disarmed us before the battle begins and the advantage is his. This belt isn’t our truth but God’s truth and another reason the belt is mentioned first because it holds all the other pieces of the armor together. Someone has summed up God’s truth this way: “God is who He says He is, I am who God says I am. God does what He says He will do and I can do all that God says I can.” The bible tells us to; come to the truth, believe and know the truth, handle accurately the truth and to obey and be established in the truth. We are also to speak the truth, walk in the truth, declare the truth and worship in truth. We must settle firmly in our hearts and minds and become totally convinced in our spirits that God’s word is the truth. Another way of summing up the truth is to recognize that “truth is that which agrees with the final reality.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The bible tells us that the truth will establish us, sanctify and purify us and allows us to rejoice because the truth has set us free! John 8:32 - Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (NIV) The belt of truth not only holds and connects all the pieces of the armor, it covers the gaps and the unsightliness of the separate pieces. It also strengthens the loins which enables the soldier more comfort in his battle or march. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Next we come to the breastplate of righteousness. While we should have truth in our words we also must have righteousness in our works. We receive this righteousness from Christ. Phil 3:9... and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ — the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. (NIV) also Rom 3:22 - Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:…(KJV)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The breastplate is used to protect our vital parts. To the Christian that means protecting our soul and spirit and only evil spirit daggers can harm them. These daggers are the sins we commit when we fail to successfully protect ourselves. The righteousness of a pure heart before God instills in the believer the courage to perform God’s will but sin in our hearts and minds makes us feel naked and vulnerable. The knowledge that we aren’t in a right relationship with Gods gives us a spirit of fear. As the scripture teaches though, “perfect love casts out fear” so as we determine in our mind that God loves us perfectly we are able to overcome and repent of our momentary doubts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Gal 3:27 - For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. (KJV) When we put on Christ we are putting on our armor. We aren’t battling with our weak truth, righteousness, peace, faith or salvation. We are putting on the truth of Christ, the righteousness of Christ, the peace and faith of Christ and are covered with the salvation bought by Christ so the more faith we have in Jesus Christ, the stronger our armor and weapons become! Truth and righteousness are connected together and our armor must be worn at all times. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. It must be a constant and not taken off and put back on like an article of clothing. Someone has compared the Christian walk like this: “Our heart is a garden and Jesus is the fountain of Living Water that sustains us. Holiness is the life blood that flows through us that we may bring forth upon ripening the holy fruits of the spirit and make them evident in our lives.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The fruits of the Spirit are found in: Gal 5:22-23...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. (NIV)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Our godliness and holiness that we attain through Christ is what offends Satan to the point that he seeks our eternal destruction. Righteousness fortifies us against acting upon the arrows of temptations that Satan fires at us. He usually attacks our righteousness in three ways: [/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=12pt]By making the price too much to bear and showing us how life would be much more enjoyable if we just discarded the morality we learn from the scriptures.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] 2.) By having some leaders or denominations demand adherence to parts of God’s law that believers no longer serve because we are under the law of grace. Satan tries to cause us to believe that the price and maintenance of our salvation is too steep and creates a spirit of resentment in some. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] 3.) By bringing opposition to the church from the world because they don’t understand Christianity and what the world doesn’t understand, it fears. This creates a state of conflict between family and friends that can make being a Christian an unpleasant experience.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The third part of our armor is having “our feet fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.” This is a readiness to do and suffer all that God wills as a Christian soldier. We maintain our peace with God so long as we maintain our war with Satan. Good shoes are the simplest yet most useful part of our armor. Without strong shoes you can’t go forth on the path that is littered with the sharp stones of temptations. With the proper footware you can tread down whatever path God directs even if it is burning hot from the sun or frozen by the icy blasts of trials and hardships. Your shoes enable you to travel. The Christian must not be idle but always on the move ready to wage warfare whenever the need and opportunity arises as is our Christian duty. We also need to accept the hardships with a peaceful heart knowing “that all things work for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]One of the references I used to help write these articles was William Gurnall’s, “The Christian in Complete Armor“. This six hundred page volume was originally written and published in three parts between 1662 and 1665. This timeless volume contains a wealth of information for the Christian. Gurnall writes in his book, that this gospel of peace is in four parts: “Peace with God, Peace of Conscience, Peace of love and unity and Peace of indemnity and service.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Adam was at peace in the garden of Eden. He was at peace with all the animals and all the elements of nature. Sin had not yet entered this paradise and this type of peace is what we Christians are trying to regain. We can only obtain it as we walk in the will of God. When we are walking in His will with our armor we do not fear death. As scripture says: “O death where is thy sting? O grave where is thy victory?” As believers we don’t fear death because “to die is gain”. This peace towards death - whether it be burning by fire, drowning in water or being torn asunder by beasts of the field, although unpleasant, must be considered our chariot ride home. They should not be feared as the bringers of the end of life but viewed as the messengers of here comes life eternal. This attitude will identify us with those of Rev 12:11 - “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.” (NIV)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Just like a child learning to walk; our spiritual journey begins with one step at a time. The first step is Matt 6:33 - “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” (KJV) As we seek the kingdom, the righteousness of Christ, which according to Strong’s Concordance is, “acting with a right character that has been justified,” is our focal point. God’s word is the roadmap that allows us to navigate through our life’s journey. Ps 119:105 - “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” (KJV)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]As we take that first step we begin to build up our inner spirit and as we continue in His word our faith grows. As our faith grows, we get strengthened for the battles to come. Here are some verses that can be used as building blocks for your faith. “We walk by faith not by sight” (2 Cor. 5:7) Is. 30:21 - “And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.” (KJV) The Holy Spirit will direct you on your pathway to victory but we also have our own part to accomplish. Ps 119:101 - “I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.” (NIV) and Ps 119:11 - “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.” (KJV) Ps 37:23-24 - “If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; 24 though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.” (NIV) God knows we are going to stumble every now and then but He is nearby ready to catch us when we do so. Since we have such a steady Rock to lean upon our confidence should grow accordingly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The bible tells us to walk in the steps of our Lord. Jesus has walked the path before us. As we follow His lead we can have confidence that any blockage we find along our path, God has seen the way through and His Holy Spirit will show us the way. 1 Peter 2:21 - “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.” (NIV) We not only have this pathway to walk but we are also carrying a message of hope and salvation to the world. Rom 10:15 - “And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" (NIV) Faith in God to guide us along our way is more than the “power of positive thinking”, “ it is the power of positive believing! Mark 11:24 - “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” (NIV)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]As we continue walking in the will of God and strengthening our spirit we begin to actually believe what the bible tells us in Rom 8:37...“in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.” (KJV) What does it mean to be “more” than a conqueror? I believe it means that we are victors. As that precious hymn goes. “We have Victory in Jesus, Our Savior forever…” and Jesus “is the victory that overcometh the world.”[/SIZE]