Talking to strangers is the best thing for mental health

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hendersn

Mar 17, 2023
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this on my browser news feed, Why Talking to Strangers Is the Best Thing You Can Do for Your Mental Health

But I live in the ghetto so it's not totally advisable. A lot of the people here are hostile and angry people. LOL! You learn to not make too much eye contact with certain types. Some of the people are friendly, but it's about 50%.
As it relates to scripture I would consider this passage:

The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.
— 2 Timothy 2:24-26

In my experience, it seems even more effective in the ghetto.

Reactions: Debp

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As it relates to scripture I would consider this passage:

The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

In my experience, it seems even more effective in the ghetto.
Why are we considering passages, do you have anything you want to say?

hendersn

Mar 17, 2023
Memphis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Initially, no not really. In reading your initial post, I was reminded of that verse and where I was at in my life when God taught me some deeper truth within it, and thought, 'since the Spirit reminded me of this verse and how it helped me, I could share it to see if it helps."

As I tried to write out my current response, and share some of what I've learned, I have had time to think about you and this forum in general, in the extremely limited snapshot of this post and some other argu.. conversations on this site that I have read, and thought that I can think of alot to say, but no one wants to read a long post and I'm already dragging on, but since you asked:

You are a Christian, in the ghetto, right? In a place where, even you admit, looking people in the eyes can be dangerous. If God is all powerful, in control of everything, loves you, wants what's best for you, and is gracious, and merciful, and kind, why are you there? Anyone in the world could say the exact same thing in their context, right?

What is the purpose of your life?

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
— Ephesians 2:10

My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.
— John 15:8

I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.
— John 15:5

Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
— John 15:9-10

“This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.
— John 15:12

This I command you, that you love one another.
— John 15:17

Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.
— 2 Timothy 2:21

There so much more, but in brief and in regards to your question, as it relates to the scripture that I posted:

This is evangelism; patient gentle kind guidance to truth. And you are in a place where I have seen more fruit in the truth of this verse than in wealthier communities (which reminds me of Jesus saying, "its easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to go to Heaven"). You are a Christian, in a place, where you could sow alot of seeds, just by being kind and patient, and knowing your Bible, glorifying God as you navigate your life.

May the good Lord richly bless you!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I live in the ghetto so it's not totally advisable. A lot of the people here are hostile and angry people. LOL! You learn to not make too much eye contact with certain types
Dev, I can understand what you mean.

Although it doesn't happen to me often, there have been several times through the years when a severely mentally disturbed person has passed by me. They are screaming at the top of their lungs, sometimes angrily thrashing around with their arms.

At times like the above, one just prays and has to keep walking, praying the person doesn't lash out at you.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dev, I can understand what you mean.

Although it doesn't happen to me often, there have been several times through the years when a severely mentally disturbed person has passed by me. They are screaming at the top of their lungs, sometimes angrily thrashing around with their arms.

At times like the above, one just prays and has to keep walking, praying the person doesn't lash out at you.
Yes, that is correct. I tend to avoid them as I have learned from being mentally ill that nothing I say will be able to help them really. What they need is medication for about a year before the paranoia and hallucinations wear off. Then you can communicate with them properly.

Reactions: Debp