Tattoos

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XhannahX

Dec 6, 2007
The bible states that you should not deface your body, however there is quite a lot of conflict weather people think tattoos are bad and shouldnt be done to people who think they are ok with the right mind in doing them,and what about people who get scripture tattooed.help on this one please??>

Nov 8, 2007
You are still defiling your body because Scripture is supposed to be in your heart and your mind, not on your flesh. So much is emphasized in the bible about God putting his word in the Hearts of his children. Leave the tatooing for the heathens.

mcdanielnc89

Dec 9, 2007
In m opinion I don't think it's wrong to do so. Some people say it's harming your body others say it's a symbol of showing your faith. Of course it must be a christian way for that but i don't think it's wrong. I just think yu need to be careful of what you put on your body for it will be permanant.

Nov 8, 2007
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.Leviticus 19:2817 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.1 Corinthians 3:172nd Corinthians 6:16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.His Word will be in his People and HE will be our God. Tattoing was for heathens in homage to Idol Worship! No, tattooing is a Sin! Even for scripture.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(mcdanielnc89;26548)
So, say you have a tattoo and you die.. DO you go to hell?
No. Even if it were a sin, and I'm not saying it is - I'm actually not sure - but even if it were, God's mercy and grace is certainly sufficent. From Ephesians 2 (notice how he says you followed the ways of the world .... but because of his GREAT LOVE FOR US.... saved us through His grace.) 1As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature[a] and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. 4But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. There are many many things we do thoughout our lives - even after we've come to know Christ that are so very sinful - but God is mericiful & quick to forgive. I WISH the worst thing I've ever done was get a tattoo.
rolleyes.gif
OK - this is the Mom in me talking ... DON'T GET ONE!!!!! God made your body wonderfully beautiful and there's no improving on His workmanship:paslm 139: 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Agree with peacebewithyou here it certainly is not a unforgivable sinIn fact I dont really think it much of a sin. True The body is the temple of the souland I would compare tattoos with something like graffiti on the side of a church is it desired? no. But in the big scheme of things I don't think it to major You are saved by Grace whether you have ugly tattoos:) or not The flesh does not go to heaven and so it isn't going with you the flesh goes back to earth from which it came. You are judged by whats in your heart the state of your soulrepent for getting it and be done with it God will be.

mcdanielnc89

Dec 9, 2007
S, If i get a tatoo and ask for forgiveness I'm ok? LOOOOOL.. Sry a litttle humored fun to me, lol.. Cuz I want a tattoo

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Course, I hear that lasers can remove tattoos now so if God provides the opportunity as well as the means, and you want to remove it, you can.But if considering and in doubt, why get one then if you might be changing your mind or regretting having it done? Saves time and money... and mayhap alot of grief. Be seperate from the world and let your faith and love represent Him and not a tattoo nor a cross on a necklace. The Lord does not look on the outward appearance but on the inside. Seeing how His workmanship in you shall be glorified in Heaven, ask Him for guidance. I believe in loving others and declaring your faith in Him represents Him best.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
I will never be able to get a tatoo thanks to the career I'm going to have.but I was thinking of getting one on like the back of my right had with a cross and a scripture verse. That was if I ever got into a situation where I'm extremley tempted I could just look at my right hand and focus on God.My parents are extremely againstThe church is against it.It would complete damage my chances of being a priestSo God is against it.but it was an idea. I belief tatoos are alot like graffiti, but when you see Jesus Saves graffiti are you really against that?? no it is honoring God. So I believe that tatoos can do the same thingyour brother in christ Ryan Fitz

Nov 8, 2007
I'm not saying it's unforgivable but if the Bible Forbids it then don't go on with it. Why do so many people sympathize and say we Are saved by God's Grace, yet will go out say it's ok to commit a sin because we are saved by his grace, then come unto repentence. We repent so that in hopes that we don't do it again and ask God to forgive us. Just don't do it, for those that already know don't do it, for those that already have a tattoo, I'm not condemning you, but now that you know don't add on.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(mcdanielnc89;26625)
not understanding..can u show me where in the bible it says you can't have a tattoo?
People who believe that getting a tattoo is sinful typically use the verse in Lev 19:28 which says: Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.However, assuming they don't wear a long beard and they do cut the sides of their hair, they ignore the verse prior: 27 " 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard. or this one: from v. 19..... Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. I always thought a poly/cotton blend was evil!
wink.gif
So obviously we are no longer under those laws.... The vereses in the NT that are used against tattoos speak of not defiling the temple of God. I guess it comes down to your interpretation as to whether getting a tattooo defiles your body - I would argue that those verses are speaking of somthing much more severe than a tattoo of a small flower or whatever on someone's ankle. It was previously posted that tattoing was for heathens in homage to Idol Worship. That may have been true - however, if you aren't a heathen and you don't worship idols, I think it becomes "just a tattoo."

Cloakk

Oct 5, 2007
(Unorthodox Christian)
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.Leviticus 19:28
Two things: 1) We are no longer mosaic law. 2) It could be argued that this is reference to making marks for the dead. The jews were pretty explicit in their interpretation of scripture. To them, it would outlaw tatoos if it explicitely said "Do not put any sort of marks, of any type for any reason on your body"(Unorthodox Christian)
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.1 Corinthians 3:172nd Corinthians 6:16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Agreed. My body is a temple. You can cut your hair, get ear piercings and wear clothes. These are all adornments of your temple. I would logically add tattoos to this list of adornments.(Pariah)
But if considering and in doubt, why get one then if you might be changing your mind or regretting having it done?
Pariah makes an excellent point. Never do anything that bothers your conscience, it is a sin against yourself and God. If you believe Tattooing is wrong, then don't do it. It is unwise to search for reasons for it to be right, to justify a whim.

Nov 8, 2007
Well, for those in advocacy of Tattoos, or the desire to have one, I use Jesus Christ as an example. If Jesus Christ had none of the following should I have it? I've had arguments where people said, well you have a car Jesus didn't have a car. But he had modes of transportation.

Cloakk

Oct 5, 2007
(Unorthodox Christian;26648)
Well, for those in advocacy of Tattoos, or the desire to have one, I use Jesus Christ as an example. If Jesus Christ had none of the following should I have it? I've had arguments where people said, well you have a car Jesus didn't have a car. But he had modes of transportation.
Yeah, but Jesus also wore jewish style clothing of the day. Same for hair and beard. Aesthetics, he had. Not fancyful, of course, but he had them.

Cloakk

Oct 5, 2007
Me? No, I'm just saying that arguing that Jesus didn't have tattoos so you shouldn't isn't a purely logical statement. Jesus had aesthetic elements in his everyday life, and if you argue that tattoos are aesthetic, then the aforementioned argument falls apart.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I'm with Unorthodox Christian on this one. I do not feel comfortable with tattoos at all. I won't make it a salvation issue, but I feel the way I do because of the Law. As for tattoos that have scripture or Christian pictures, that is the same concept as having a picture of Jesus. It is still a form that can be misconstrued as an idol.As for those who say we are no longer under the Mosaic Law, what was done away with was the curse of the Law, not the morality of them. In other words, we will not make it to heaven because we keep them or go to hell because we break them (Christ took the penalty of that sin). The Law only points out what we already are (in sin). In other words, the judgments are gone but the correctness of the Law is there yet. I'm a little bit like the SDA regarding the types of Law: ceremonial and moral. The ceremonial was fulfilled in Christ and some Laws regarding behavior has to do with that. What I am talking about is the moral aspect. For example, although we are not "under" the Law of Moses as it is so often said, I know no Law that makes it OK to murder, or commit adultery, or whatever. These still hold. But again, if we do that, the penalty was paid by Christ. But the "rightness" and "wrongness" still hold.Back to tattoos. If God's word in the Law forbade them, then that means he does not like them! But if you have one, the sin was taken at the cross, so I am not advocating making a beeline to the laser removal station either. (Now that you'll know, just don't get any more tattoos).

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
I can't disagree with you there.But I don't really agree with you eitherBut what if that particular person wore that tattoo to either help himself live a better live by reminding him of God. or put it on to spread Gods word and advance the kingdom.again how is that sinful?

Status
Not open for further replies.