Teresa of Avila and Watering the Garden

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please, put man on a shelf for a while. And study independently. God has much to teach. You began in faith.

The story of Israel in the desert is there for my benefit. Why would I shelve it? The smart think to do would be to examine it after the apostle so carefully brought it up and expounded on it. I mean, if God was displeased with those He saved, I want to know WHY He was displeased so I don't make their same mistake.

Reactions: faithfulness

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The story of Israel in the desert is there for my benefit. Why would I shelve it? The smart think to do would be to examine it after the apostle so carefully brought it up and expounded on it. I mean, if God was displeased with those He saved, I want to know WHY He was displeased so I don't make their same mistake.
You began in faith through the receiving of the Holy Spirit. I’m neither the author or the finisher of that, but it is my strong belief that if you’ve been clothed in the righteousness of Christ, then He is well pleased with you

Study He’ll show you your approved.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You began in faith through the receiving of the Holy Spirit. I’m neither the author or the finisher of that, but it is my strong belief that if you’ve been clothed in the righteousness of Christ, then He is well pleased with you

Study He’ll show you your approved.
It all revolves around the new birth in John chapter 3...

Reactions: Waiting on him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The opposite is true. You are merely displaying a partisan religious position based on theory...that doesn't stand up to even the most basic biblical investigation let alone experience.

Holiness is found in God..and His Son....never is that holiness our own.

That we may be partakers of HIS holiness.

Righteousness exists on more than one level...because of ability. But righteousness is consistent in purpose...and that is to love others by our actions. God's ways and power are far greater than our own. Yet we are still responsible for our own actions.
I would change the underlined word to availability! Our abilities are all God given gifts whereas our ultimate result/conclusion in Him is due to how much and how often we make ourselves available to Him and His purposes. Yes, He will make use of our abilities, but only to the extent that we make ourselves and our abilities available.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But to define holiness as being set apart for God's work, means that...when we say God is holy, it just means God is set apart for His own work. So I am sure you will disagree that this is what saying God is holy means.

Actually, that is what what the word means, and is how it is used.

What does it mean, God is Holy? God is set apart exclusively for God.

God is apart unto Himself. God is always true to Himself. There are no shifting shadows in God. He is the same yesterday, today, forever!

He is our faithful Creator. He made us because it was what He wanted. He wants us. He loves us. He cares for us. He gives us life. And He will never Change, never cast us away, because God is Holy.

He never ever ever changes from Who He is. No one can make Him change, induce any change upon Him, because He is Holy. He will always want us, love us, care for us, because that's Who He is.

The beauty of God's holiness is that it's always and forever.

Put on the new man, with is created after God, in righteousness and true holiness.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is why it is so important to search it out and understand rather than accept what men say - because the definition you have been taught brings you, in the end, to a place where you have knocked holiness down and sullied it.

That is the definition. It's in the redefining of words according to human logic that gets us into trouble. But if we set out to see what the Bible says, not man, but God Himself, and we will allow His Words to form our understandings, we don't have to change those words to fit our minds. We instead change our minds to fit His Words.

It may take years to understand something, but we can be patient. That's part of being submitted.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And...the reason I am trying to understand it is because I don't understand why to be accepted is not good enough for men. Why do they have to insist they have given all and are holy if they haven't and aren't? God accepts and makes a place for men who fear Him and shun evil. That's merciful. That's more than merciful.

It begins to look and sound like Satan, who said, I will climb higher, into heaven, I will ascend and have a seat above the stars, I will sit with the congregation, I will ascend above the clouds, I will be like the most high...

It's just smarter to let God decide where you will be and where you will sit. All you must do is fear Him, shun evil, and trust Him. Stay there and let Him decide everything concerning you. It is practical, smart and...I don't understand anything else, really.
What we all need to do is just 'bottom out' and continue to do so... Humility is always the way God wants us travel toward Him.

"For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:11

Man trying to direct himself will always get himself into trouble:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

God is always willing to give us direction... Is this not found in the Holy Spirit?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He started the thread...but of course we should go to Scripture for answers...
How about going directly to God? If we seek the answer in the scripture and our heart is wrong in our search, our answer will not be what we might hope for or even at times what it should be. The scripture does not say that the scriptures will teach you all things...

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26