Teshuvah vs. Metanoia

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deadwheat1224

Aug 27, 2009
Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between the Hebrew Teshuvah and the Greek Metanoia? I've been doing a bit of research on them myself, but would like to get other perspectives.Thanks,

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
I am not very good with Hebrew or Greek. This is what I see in the overall scripture concerning these two. More opinions might be helpful. Both mean to change ones mind, and turn the other way. Using Hebrew Teshuvah to Christianity could be problematic, as Jews understand this to include ritual practice, much like the Greek term would include Baptism. For Hebrew Teshuvah, one might build a new temple to worship in. The Jews are use to God's instructions on building Temples, and temples are a place for repentance. For Jews this was mostly used for whole country or nation. To repent, like the City of Nineveh did. Hag 1:3 Then came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying, Hag 1:4 Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste? Hag 1:5 Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways. Hag 1:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways. Hag 1:8 Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the LORDPaul who was a master at Hebrew laws, and could quote the old Testament may have had an issue getting across the difference between Teshuvah and Metanoia, both mean to turn and repent, but the Greek word which has a Hebrew connection to Teshuvah was more in relation to changing ones mind, or having a change of heart. It was something related to a single person, and not a nation. Look at the book of Galatians. These folk were throwing in some good old fashioned Teshuvah with Christianity. They were making sure people were doubly repented. Still, it presented a Problem for Paul, as Paul had to correct them. A good example of Metanoia is the younger son that left, and came to himself, knowing that He had sinned. He changed his mind about the direction in life he was headed and came back to God. (Luke 15:11-)Someone could probley explain it better!!! I thought I'd give it a shot.Jesus Is Lord.

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
Deadwheat1224;72605]Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between the Hebrew Teshuvah and the Greek Metanoia? I said:
, bring, call back, decline, depart, eschew, get [you], go (aside), X grievous, lay away (by), leave undone, be past, pluck away, put (away, down), rebel, remove (to and fro), revolt, X be sour, take (away, off), turn (aside, away, in), withdraw, be without.and;H6437פּנה, pânâh, paw-naw'A primitive root; to turn; by implication to face, that is, appear, look, etc.: - appear, at [even-] tide, behold, cast out, come on, X corner, dawning, empty, go away, lie, look, mark, pass away, prepare, regard, (have) respect (to), (re-) turn (aside, away, back, face, self), X right [early].and;H7725שׁוּב, shûb, shoobA primitive root; to turn back (hence, away) transitively or intransitively, literally or figuratively (not necessarily with the idea of return to the starting point); generally to retreat; often adverbially again: - ([break, build, circumcise, dig, do anything, do evil, feed, lay down, lie down, lodge, make, rejoice, send, take, weep]) X again, (cause to) answer (+ again), X in any case (wise), X at all, averse, bring (again, back, home again), call [to mind], carry again (back), cease, X certainly, come again (back) X consider, + continually, convert, deliver (again), + deny, draw back, fetch home again, X fro, get [oneself] (back) again, X give (again), go again (back, home), [go] out, hinder, let, [see] more, X needs, be past, X pay, pervert, pull in again, put (again, up again), recall, recompense, recover, refresh, relieve, render (again), X repent, requite, rescue, restore, retrieve, (cause to, make to) return, reverse, reward, + say nay, send back, set again, slide back, still, X surely, take back (off), (cause to, make to) turn (again, self again, away, back, back again, backward, from, off), withdraw.The Hebrew for "to repent" is:H5162נחם, nâcham, naw-kham'A primitive root; properly to sigh, that is, breathe strongly; by implication to be sorry, that is, (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself): - comfort (self), ease [one’s self], repent (-er, -ing, self).and: H7725שׁוּב, shûb, shoobA primitive root; to turn back (hence, away) transitively or intransitively, literally or figuratively (not necessarily with the idea of return to the starting point); generally to retreat; often adverbially again: - ([break, build, circumcise, dig, do anything, do evil, feed, lay down, lie down, lodge, make, rejoice, send, take, weep]) X again, (cause to) answer (+ again), X in any case (wise), X at all, averse, bring (again, back, home again), call [to mind], carry again (back), cease, X certainly, come again (back) X consider, + continually, convert, deliver (again), + deny, draw back, fetch home again, X fro, get [oneself] (back) again, X give (again), go again (back, home), [go] out, hinder, let, [see] more, X needs, be past, X pay, pervert, pull in again, put (again, up again), recall, recompense, recover, refresh, relieve, render (again), X repent, requite, rescue, restore, retrieve, (cause to, make to) return, reverse, reward, + say nay, send back, set again, slide back, still, X surely, take back (off), (cause to, make to) turn (again, self again, away, back, back again, backward, from, off), withdraw.The Greek word for "to turn" is G1994, ἐπιστρέφω, epistrephō, ep-ee-stref'-oFrom G1909 and G4762; to revert (literally, figuratively or morally): - come (go) again, convert, (re-) turn (about, again).G4762στρέφω, strephō, stref'-oStrengthened from the base of G5157; to twist, that is, turn quite around or reverse (literally or figuratively): - convert, turn (again, back again, self, self about).The Greek word for "to repent" is G3340, μετανοέω, metanoeō, met-an-o-eh'-oFrom G3326 and G3539; to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction): - repent. You referred to: Hag 1:5 Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; (H6635) Consider (H7760 H3824 H5921) your ways. (H1870)Hag 1:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts;(H6635)Consider (H7760 H3824 H5921) your ways.(H1870) But: "consider your ways," in Hebrew is: (H7760 H3824 H5921)H7760שׂים שׂוּםśûm śı̂ymsoom, seemA primitive root; to put (used in a great variety of applications, literally, figuratively, inferentially and elliptically): - X any wise, appoint, bring, call [a name], care, cast in, change, charge, commit, consider, convey, determine, + disguise, dispose, do, get, give, heap up, hold, impute, lay (down, up), leave, look, make (out), mark, + name, X on, ordain, order, + paint, place, preserve, purpose, put (on), + regard, rehearse, reward, (cause to) set (on, up), shew, + stedfastly, take, X tell, + tread down, ([over-]) turn, X wholly, work.H3824לבב, lêbâb, lay-bawb'From H3823; the heart (as the most interior organ); used also like H3820: - + bethink themselves, breast, comfortably, courage, ([faint], [tender-] heart([-ed]), midst, mind, X unawares, understanding.H5921על,‛al,alProperly the same as H5920 used as a preposition (in the singular or plural, often with prefix, or as conjugation with a particle following); above, over, upon, or against (yet always in this last relation with a downward aspect) in a great variety of applications: - above, according to (-ly), after, (as) against, among, and, X as, at, because of, beside (the rest of), between, beyond the time, X both and, by (reason of), X had the charge of, concerning for, in (that), (forth, out) of, (from) (off), (up-) on, over, than, through (-out), to, touching, X with.H1870דּרך, Derek,deh'-rekFrom H1869; a road (as trodden); figuratively a course of life or mode of action, often adverbially: - along, away, because of, + by, conversation, custom, [east-] ward, journey, manner, passenger, through, toward, [high-] [path-] way [-side], whither [-soever].Now the word "host" is: H6635צבאה צבא, tsâbâ' tsebâ'âhtsaw-baw', tseb-aw-aw'From H6633; a mass of persons (or figurative things), especially regularly organized for war (an army); by implication a campaign, literally or figuratively (specifically hardship, worship): - appointed time, (+) army, (+) battle, company, host, service, soldiers, waiting upon, war (-fare).and might be what you thought was: "Teshuvah ".

Deadwheat1224

Aug 27, 2009
I do not know what you mean by " Teshuvah?" Check the spelling. It does not compare to "Metanoia" if that is even spelled correctlyG3340, μετανοέω, metanoeō, met-an-o-eh'-oFrom G3326 and G3539; to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction): - repent. At least let us know where you are finding these "words."
I'm sorry if i've caused you confusion... I'm merely a relatively uneducated student of the Word who happens to know the greek better than the Hebrew. Forgive me if i'm hard to follow or I "make up" "Words", and please try to have patience with my ignorance.The spelling is correct. However, though I have not been able to find any specific manifestation of the word "Teshuva", the idea pervades Talmudic and post-talmudic thought, and is intrinsic in the celebration of Yam Kippur. It is commonly mistranslated as "repentance" but is actually more accurately "Returning".As far as "Metanoia"... it merely the noun ("repentance") of the verb metanoeo (to repent). So no... I did not "misspell" it... its merely a different derivative of the same word...So by my interpretation (and remember I am just an ignorant student), Metanoia/Metanoeo is a "change of mind" repentance that tends to occur at a major point in one's life. It is a complete turning. Many may relate it to what some call one's "Historical Salvation".Teshuva by contrast, is a returning, something that may happen because one has experienced the "metanoia" in the past. Again just my interpretation/Opinion. I'm sure you will not tarry in giving me your opinion on the matter.

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
Deadwheat1224"The spelling is correct. However, though I have not been able to find any specific manifestation of the word "Teshuva", the idea pervades Talmudic and post-talmudic thought, and is intrinsic in the celebration of Yam Kippur. It is commonly mistranslated as "repentance" but is actually more accurately "Returning"."OK, that helped, I think. I am just trying to help you find your Hebrew word. The Talmud could use a newer spelling. Check these words:1)1Sa 7:17 And his return (H8666)was to Ramah; for there was his house; and there he judged Israel; and there he built an altar unto the LORD. H8666תּשׁבה תּשׁוּבהteshûbâh teshûbâhtesh-oo-baw', tesh-oo-baw'From H7725; a recurrence (of time or place); a reply (as returned): - answer, be expired, return.
The Complete Word Study Dictionarytešûḇāh: I. A feminine noun meaning an answer; a return. It refers to a response or reply given in a conversation or debate (Job_21:34; Job_34:36). It also indicates a literal return to a location or destination (1Sa_7:17).II. A feminine noun indicating the return (of the year); spring. It indicates the beginning of an new yearly cycle in the spring (2Sa_11:1; 1Ki_20:22, 1Ki_20:26; 1Ch_20:1; 2Ch_36:10). This is the rendering of the New American Standard Bible and the New International Version.III. A feminine noun indicating the turn of the year; the end of the year. Some translators take it to refer to the expiration of a yearly cycle, the close of a year, as does the KJV (2Sa_11:1; 1Ki_20:22, 1Ki_20:26; 1Ch_20:1; 2Ch_36:10).
 2)H8668תּשׁעה תּשׁוּעהteshû‛âh teshû‛âhtesh-oo-aw', tesh-oo-aw'From H7768 in the sense of H3467; rescue (literally or figuratively, personal, national or spiritual): - deliverance, help, safety, salvation, victory.
The Complete Word Study Dictionarytešû‛āh: A feminine noun meaning a deliverance, a victory, safety. Typically, the term is used in the context of military conflict (Jdg_15:18; 1Sa_11:13; 1Ch_11:14). While victory was usually not obtained through human means (Psa_33:17; Psa_108:12 [13]; Psa_146:3; Pro_21:31), safety came through a multitude of counselors (Pro_11:14; Pro_24:6). Principally, however, deliverance was to be found only in God (2Ch_6:41; Psa_119:81; Psa_144:10). The deliverance of the Lord was on the minds of both Isaiah and Jeremiah during the troubled times in which they lived (Isa_45:17; Isa_46:13; Jer_3:23; Lam_3:26).
In the Strong's this word, #H8668 can be: teshûw‛âh teshûw‛âhThe Complete Word Study Dictionary© 1992 By AMG International, Inc.Chattanooga, TN 37422, U.S.A.Revised edition, 1993