The Ambiguity of Belief - What is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a good point. Believe with the heart. (as opposed to the head only)
Although, I suppose "a stone-cold legalist" could open a Bible and become a MORE confirmed believer in their legalism.
We may have seen this happen?

Someone else mentioned the importance of the OBJECT of belief. That is certainly key.
If we believe in something WORTHY of our belief, and believe with our heart, we are pointed in the right direction.
As ambiguous as that seems on paper.

Perhaps the belief that plays out in a transformed and Christ-like life is the best we can hope for?

cc: @Chadrho

My belief is that I'm a sinful, broken, man who needs Jesus to heal me and to take me to be with him, otherwise, I am just dirt.

The funny thing is that my belief didn't come from the Bible. As a very young boy I just sort of understood that God is real. It wasn't until around 6 years ago that I really delved into the Bible to expand my understanding. Reading the Bible did, however, prove beyond any doubt that God is real. Numerous authors, separated by locations and centuries apart all saying the same thing, could have only come about by the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My belief is that I'm a sinful, broken, man who needs Jesus to heal me and to take me to be with him, otherwise, I am just dirt.
The word "contrite" came to mind while reading your post. Search results below.
The Father values you immensely! Chin up, good fellow; you are a child of the King.
Next time you feel like dirt, say it. "I am a child of the King." (with chin up)

• Psalm 34:18
    The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contritespirit.

• Psalm 51:17
    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contriteheart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

• Isaiah 57:15
    For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contriteones.

• Isaiah 66:2
    For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
The funny thing is that my belief didn't come from the Bible. As a very young boy I just sort of understood that God is real. It wasn't until around 6 years ago that I really delved into the Bible to expand my understanding. Reading the Bible did, however, prove beyond any doubt that God is real. Numerous authors, separated by locations and centuries apart all saying the same thing, could have only come about by the Holy Spirit.
Great testimony, thanks.
A personal encounter with the divine dispels unbelief.

• Love
Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "contrite" came to mind while reading your post. Search results below.
The Father values you immensely! Chin up, good fellow; you are a child of the King.
Next time you feel like dirt, say it. "I am a child of the King." (with chin up)

• Psalm 34:18
    The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contritespirit.

• Psalm 51:17
    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contriteheart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

• Isaiah 57:15
    For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contriteones.

• Isaiah 66:2
    For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Great testimony, thanks.
A personal encounter with the divine dispels unbelief.

Thank you my brother!

Reactions: St. SteVen