The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Cross of Christ, is not universal salvation, already applied.
So......I think you mean to say that God gave Christ to everyone, but not everyone will come to Christ.
So, the OFFER of the Cross of Christ is to ALL........but not everyone will come.
Obviously you dont understand what Im saying.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Obviously you dont understand what Im saying.

You are saying that the sacrifice of Jesus, does not automatically save everyone.
Thats true..........because it has to be applied by God to the person, and God only does this if you give God your FAITH.

However the OFFER of this Salvation, is this.......Jesus said...>"if i be LIFTED UP (the Cross), I will draw ALL people to me".

So, that is the OFFER, but its not the literal application.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
behold

Yes when they were enemies/unbelievers

Yes absolutely

Yet those Christ died for are reconciled to God while being unbelievers, thats an accomplishment of the atoning death of Christ, which could not have been for everyone.

The atoning death of Christ is not for everyone? John 31:16, "For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." This clearly says that God gave His one and only Son for everyone.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The atoning death of Christ is not for everyone? .

Just take the time to read what i said, as i have explained this 3x today....its this.

= The CROSS is offered to the WORLD.
That means its given to everyone, as their Salvation.
But not everyone will go to the Cross, believing, even tho, its given to them.

Jesus died for us all, but, His Sacrifice, is not applied to all, and that is why some went to hell today, Jim.
Its because they did not receive Christ, as their Savior, even tho, 2000 yrs ago, He died for them..

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are saying that the sacrifice of Jesus, does not automatically save everyone.
Thats true..........because it has to be applied by God to the person, and God only does this if you give God your FAITH.

However the OFFER of this Salvation, is this.......Jesus said...>"if i be LIFTED UP (the Cross), I will draw ALL people to me".

So, that is the OFFER, but its not the literal application.
Again Obviously you dont understand what Im saying.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The atoning death of Christ is not for everyone? John 31:16, "For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." This clearly says that God gave His one and only Son for everyone.
No Christs death of atonement wasnt for everyone.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No Christs death of atonement wasnt for everyone.

The offer of Christ on the Cross, as God's forgiveness for their sin..... is for everyone.
John 3:16.

If you try to limit this Mercy of God to "the elect" then you offend the Cross and blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

Be careful with that, if that is your next post... as Jesus is not to be offended by heresy.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ applies redemption as well !

The Lord Jesus Christ in His Threefold Mediatorial Character as Priest, prophet and King, makes sure that the Salvation He accomplished for all those He died for, is experienced by them, that is, not only was His blood a bare purchase and then He sets back and offers it, but also by Him as King, He applies it to its subjects to give it effect, to bestow its benefits of grace, they being destined to be conformed into His image, which is their total salvation.

For this cause He was invested with all power in both heaven and earth as per Matt 28:18

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give[apply] eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

The word power in Matt 28:18 and Jn 17:2 is the greek word exousia:

power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases

a) leave or permission

2) physical and mental power

a) the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises

3) the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege)

Jesus made this point very clear, that He has all Power to His [Disciples] at their commission. This was not just to be saying that He has all power, but in and through their witness of the Truth of His death, He would be applying that which He purchased as Priest [His offering of Himself] by His own blood, their salvation.3

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ applies redemption as well !

The Lord Jesus Christ in His Threefold Mediatorial Character as Priest, prophet and King, makes sure that the Salvation He accomplished for all those He died for, is experienced by them, that is, not only was His blood a bare purchase and then He sets back and offers it, but also by Him as King, He applies it to its subjects to give it effect, to bestow its benefits of grace, they being destined to be conformed into His image, which is their total salvation.

For this cause He was invested with all power in both heaven and earth as per Matt 28:18

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give[apply] eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

The word power in Matt 28:18 and Jn 17:2 is the greek word exousia:

power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases

a) leave or permission

2) physical and mental power

a) the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises

3) the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege)

Jesus made this point very clear, that He has all Power to His [Disciples] at their commission. This was not just to be saying that He has all power, but in and through their witness of the Truth of His death, He would be applying that which He purchased as Priest [His offering of Himself] by His own blood, their salvation.3

"Jesus made this point very clear, that He has all Power to His [Disciples] at their commission." He has all power to His disciples is a meaningless statement.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ applies redemption as well cont

In Christ's Threefold Character as Priest, Prophet and King, each plays a role in the salvation of those He died and rose, as their Priest, He offered Himself for them, purchases their liberty, their right to life. Heb 7:27

Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

Heb 9:14

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Lk 4:18

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Notice, the effect , Jesus said He is to set at liberty those that are bruised, not offer them liberty, not make it possible, but He actually sets them at liberty. Its the same word for send forth

Matt 13:41

41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

You see, He is acting as King when He sends forth His Angels, to gather out of His Kingdom !

So He applies as King, His work as Priest, He applies the redemption of His blood that He offered..

He sets or makes them free Jn 8:36

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

The word make means "to set at liberty" from the dominion of sin !

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Jesus made this point very clear, that He has all Power to His [Disciples] at their commission." He has all power to His disciples is a meaningless statement.
Again Christ applies His atoning death as well.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ death wasnt for them that shall die in their sins.

Read you Bible! It clearly says that Christ paid the price for all sins committed, for all time. People die in their sins because they refuse to accept His death on their behalf. If I give you a gift but you refuse to accept it, who is at fault, me or you?

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Christs death of atonement was and is for everyone. If you claim it's not, who is excluded? Biblical references please...
You talking about a christ I never heard of, also I have a thread full of scriptural points here.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read you Bible! It clearly says that Christ paid the price for all sins committed, for all time. People die in their sins because they refuse to accept His death on their behalf. If I give you a gift but you refuse to accept it, who is at fault, me or you?
Christs death wasnt for people who die in their sins, impossible.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ applies redemption as well cont

We have seen that as part of His Threefold Character, that as Priest, He has offered Himself as an offering for sin. Isa 53:10

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

2 Cor 5:21

21 For he hath made him to be sin[A sin offering] for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Now, as Prophet He makes known to those He died for their forgiveness, He publishes it.

One of things He was to do was to give Light to the gentiles. Lk 2:32

A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

The word lighten here is the greek word apokalypsis:

a disclosure of truth, instruction

Its a communication of the Knowledge of God to the soul.

The Amplified bible reads :

32 A Light for [a]revelation to the Gentiles [to disclose what was before unknown] and [to bring] praise and honor and glory to Your people Israel.(A)

This was prophesied in the Prophet Isa Isa 42:6

6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

Isa 49:6

6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

This applied also to the elect Jews as well, He made known to them, The True God.

Jn 17:1-3

1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

As Prophet, He made Known the True God to all whom the Father hath given Him, of both jews and gentiles..

This was a result of His shedding of the blood of the New Covenant , it ensured a proper and Spiritual knowledge of God Heb 8:10-11

10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

So As Prophet, He Reveals the True God to those He died for.

This revealing also denotes making Known to them The remission of their sins. Lk 1:77

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

The word knowledge here is to make known as in Matt 13:11

11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

As our Prophet, He makes Known unto us our Salvation in the remission of our sins that came through His shed blood Matt 26:28

28For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Status
Not open for further replies.