The B0X

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So did you publish any of your stories? Sometimes you can do it on the Web, via a number of sites that facilitate writers.

By micro minis you mean stories?

No, not published. Haven't even tried to submit anything, even though people who read my stories keep telling me I should submit.

I take that back. I did submit one thing online a few years ago, a short story titled Love and Other Unicorns. When I got my rejection letter, I was so thrilled because I felt like a real live writer with my very own rejection letter to prove it.

I won a short story contest once. Also online. But that is the extent of my renown. :D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, not published. Haven't even tried to submit anything, even though people who read my stories keep telling me I should submit.

I take that back. I did submit one thing online a few years ago, a short story titled Love and Other Unicorns. When I got my rejection letter, I was so thrilled because I felt like a real live writer with my very own rejection letter to prove it.

I won a short story contest once. Also online. But that is the extent of my renown. :D
Maybe you should consider publishing.

I was familiar with the terms minis to refer to a type of car and of course to a skirt, and of course the micro is also a skirt, but I wasn't familiar with the term micro minis referring to short stories. (One learns something every day...)

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you should consider publishing.

I was familiar with the terms minis to refer to a type of car and of course to a skirt, and of course the micro is also a skirt, but I wasn't familiar with the term micro minis referring to short stories. (One learns something every day...)

Micro minis are challenging but exhilarating because you have a strict word limit which forces you to hone your prose drastically. Even the act of writing one makes you a better writer!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Micro minis are challenging but exhilarating because you have a strict word limit which forces you to hone your prose drastically. Even the act of writing one makes you a better writer!
Almost like minimalist poetry, I guess... I'm actually a great believer in saying more with less. (Politicians, of course, are adept at saying less with lots more...)

Actually with regard to the terms minis and micros, I think that the term micro was probably adopted to give more currency to sales, whereas what would today be called a micro would probably simply have been called a mini in the 1960s when Mary Quant's designs became especially popular.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There's so much more to us than heaven & hell, so much more than dogma in a box.
Unless you get the issue of heaven and hell resolved, you cannot really focus on other peripheral issues.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's go stunned, lets venture the paradoxical realities of our hearts.

Philippians 2:4 4not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

Most miss this one.
But Jesus did not miss it, not at all, although many bearing the label of Christian seem deny the truth of that verse at least indirectly, and some perhaps quite directly. I readily admit that too often I have been one of the guilty ones... perhaps more guilty because I have long been aware of the verse and its meaning.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
But Jesus did not miss it, not at all, although many bearing the label of Christian seem deny the truth of that verse at least indirectly, and some perhaps quite directly. I readily admit that too often I have been one of the guilty ones... perhaps more guilty because I have long been aware of the verse and its meaning.
Don't be to hard on yourself, you're only human in the end.

Not me though, I'm a Alien from Kpax. Hang on a minute, thats a movie.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't be to hard on yourself, you're only human in the end.
Yes, only human when standing alone, but when I really am standing with God how much more should I be? God knows and when I seem to think I know, the pride of the "old man" gets me into trouble every time:

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud." Prov 16:18-19

Not me though, I'm a Alien from Kpax. Hang on a minute, thats a movie.
Sorry I am unfamiliar with many or most newer movies. Consider with that that my birth occurred in 1943. The Dead End Kids or Bowery Boys were often at the peak of my entertainment interest and experience.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, only human when standing alone, but when I really am standing with God how much more should I be? God knows and when I seem to think I know, the pride of the "old man" gets me into trouble every time:

Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud." Prov 16:18-19

Sorry I am unfamiliar with many or most newer movies. Consider with that that my birth occurred in 1943. The Dead End Kids or Bowery Boys were often at the peak of my entertainment interest and experience.

"The Dead End Kids or Bowery Boys were often at the peak of my entertainment interest and experience."

You are 15 yrs older than myself. I recall the titles of The Dead End Kids and Bowery Boys...only through reading stuff...I am more of a Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons kind of gal :D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Dead End Kids or Bowery Boys were often at the peak of my entertainment interest and experience."

You are 15 yrs older than myself. I recall the titles of The Dead End Kids and Bowery Boys...only through reading stuff...I am more of a Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons kind of gal :D
They were not cartoons but full length movies starring a group of boys belonging to a gang in New York City [on the Bowery]. Their movies [all black & white to my recollection] were produced from the early 1940's into the 1950's. The Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies were usually along with them during the same time periods shown in between the double feature at the movie theaters. There was no movie theater in our small town but the bus service was good and cheap. I would frequently ride the bus on Saturday mornings to the next town 8 miles away to watch the Bowery Boys and the color cartoons and then return home by bus in the evening. Usually there was enough time to watch each feature and the cartoons not less than twice each. The drinks and snacks in the theater did not cost and arm and a leg although they soon started to push up higher...

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia

God? I guess if that's how you want to see the designer of all thing's, then I see why you think the way you do.

For me, I think of God (The designer) needing nothing from me, that everything was made for us.

Because real love, perfect love, needs nothing.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God? I guess if that's how you want to see the designer of all thing's, then I see why you think the way you do.

For me, I think of God (The designer) needed nothing from me, that everything was made for us.

Because real love, perfect love, needs nothing.

But what you have failed to see is that God always had and has a plan which includes within it you and me and all of the others guys. We have alternatives but ultimately they are: God or mammon. Man likes to seek out the many varieties of mammon according to his own interests and/or pleasures, but he has, as I see it, missed the best thing of all.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
But what you have failed to see is that God always had and has a plan which includes within it you and me and all of the others guys. We have alternatives but ultimately they are: God or mammon. Man likes to seek out the many varieties of mammon according to his own interests and/or pleasures, but he has, as I see it, missed the best thing of all.
You know what I really find odd about you amadeus, is that your ideas are so ingrained with the Bible theology. I can't help think that this is evidence of indoctrination & brainwashing.

You think your God needs a parrot?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know what I really find odd about you amadeus, is that your ideas are so ingrained with the Bible theology. I can't help think that this is evidence of indoctrination & brainwashing.

You think your God needs a parrot?
Some will say that, but consider the alternative of going the way that so many [most] men choose to go. How does a man move away from the pain and destruction that is all around us? I know my answer, but I readily admit that others will not see or understand my answer. God really does have a plan and when we are able to see it, we can be content with where we are in spite of it all.

If I am indoctrinated and brainwashed, who did it? I have followed no man very far before off I went on a tangent. Why?

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were not cartoons but full length movies starring a group of boys belonging to a gang in New York City [on the Bowery]. Their movies [all black & white to my recollection] were produced from the early 1940's into the 1950's. The Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies were usually along with them during the same time periods shown in between the double feature at the movie theaters. There was no movie theater in our small town but the bus service was good and cheap. I would frequently ride the bus on Saturday mornings to the next town 8 miles away to watch the Bowery Boys and the color cartoons and then return home by bus in the evening. Usually there was enough time to watch each feature and the cartoons not less than twice each. The drinks and snacks in the theater did not cost and arm and a leg although they soon started to push up higher...

Yes, I knew they were not cartoons, but that is about all I remember...we used to watch very old stuff when I was still living at home as a young teenager, for all I know...we (my family) could have seen these movies...such a simple, way of life...take the bus to the Show, and get reasonably priced treats and drinks...It is a rare day if I go to the movies...and if I do...I bring my OWN treats ;)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I knew they were not cartoons, but that is about all I remember...we used to watch very old stuff when I was still living at home as a young teenager, for all I know...we (my family) could have seen these movies...such a simple, way of life...take the bus to the Show, and get reasonably priced treats and drinks...It is a rare day if I go to the movies...and if I do...I bring my OWN treats ;)
Without regard to the very cost of everything these days, it is a rare new movie shown in a theater that I could or would sit through even once. But to be fair now sometimes when I watch old movies that I had naively enjoyed when I was young I now recognize some underlying messages which do not sit well with my current beliefs and understandings. For example one oldie and goodie is the original Wizard of Oz produced in 1939 several years before I was born. As we watched it perhaps we all were on the side of the good witch who was on the side of the young heroine. Where do we find any witch described as "'good" in the scripture? What is to be the result for any witch in scripture?

I am not saying we should ever watch the Wizard of Oz again, but if we do, we should be aware of what we are seeing and don't jump to any conclusions that might tend to lead us to accept that good is evil and/or that evil is good.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without regard to the very cost of everything these days, it is a rare new movie shown in a theater that I could or would sit through even once. But to be fair now sometimes when I watch old movies that I had naively enjoyed when I was young I now recognize some underlying messages which do not sit well with my current beliefs and understandings. For example one oldie and goodie is the original Wizard of Oz produced in 1939 several years before I was born. As we watched it perhaps we all were on the side of the good witch who was on the side of the young heroine. Where do we find any witch described as "'good" in the scripture? What is to be the result for any witch in scripture?

I am not saying we should ever watch the Wizard of Oz again, but if we do, we should be aware of what we are seeing and don't jump to any conclusions that might tend to lead us to accept that good is evil and/or that evil is good.

Good point. I find nothing much out there that is tasteful enough to want to go watch either. I mostly (when I do, not often) will watch something from the "Faith and Spirituality" Genre on Netflix. I had Pureflix for awhile but, it didn't seem to have nearly as many choices as Netflix. I might try Pureflix again as it was somewhat new when I subscribed to it, and they might have added more.
"...and don't jump to any conclusions that might tend to lead us to accept that good is evil and/or that evil is good." Yes, that can be a very sneaky thing..."if even, the very elect..." In Him Always!
nancy

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Some will say that, but consider the alternative of going the way that so many [most] men choose to go. How does a man move away from the pain and destruction that is all around us? I know my answer, but I readily admit that others will not see or understand my answer. God really does have a plan and when we are able to see it, we can be content with where we are in spite of it all.

If I am indoctrinated and brainwashed, who did it? I have followed no man very far before off I went on a tangent. Why?
I know now what the core problem is in our society.

And it's not sin.