The Baptism In The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
Healing is one of the signs showing that the Holy Spirit is present in the person because only the Holy Spirit is the one doing the healing. Some of our saints have been known to do remarkable things. St. Damian, who was a priest in Hawaii, also devoted his life to helping lepers. This is also considered a remarkable thing. Leprosy is a very contagious disease; therefore, people with leprosy were left to live outside of society. However, St. Damian devoted his life to administering to lepers and naturally contracted the disease himself. We consider this remarkable because it is very rare for human beings to show this kind of love to strangers. A vast of majority of people would rather avoid lepers because they fear of contracting the disease.

herald

Oct 2, 2006
When you are born again, you have the Holy Spirit as your guide, but, the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate experience.Tongues is the evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and other gifts also: healing, deliverance, and even raising from the dead.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
yes correct herold however the Tongue you speaking of is not the tongue of today not the tongue of 1 Cor. It's God Cloven evidenced by the fact It was understood by all in their own Language ..... That is written God needs no interpter if you say you speak as God you are committing a grave sin ..... And this holy Ghost was only given to the Disciples to start the church and will happen one other time in future ... the gifts of 1 cor. are something differnt

herald

Oct 2, 2006
No, you are wrong. There are millions of Pentecostals all over the world, who speak and pray in tongues, heal the sick, cast out devils, and raise the dead.We are saved by the Holy Spirit, but, this is a secondary act. Read Acts 2:"And when the Day of Pentecost was fully come, they were with one accord in one place. And suddenly there was a sound of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them cloven tongues of fire, and it sat upon each of them.And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.And they were all amazed and marvelled saying, Behold are not all these that speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue wherein we were born?Parthians, Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia. Phyrgia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Rome, Jews and Proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. And they were all amazed and in doubt, saying one to another. What meaneth this? Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.But Peter standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said, Ye men of Judaea, and all that dwell in Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not drunken as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days My Spirit: and they shall prophesy." Acts 2.Do men dream dreams, see visions, speak and pray in tongues in your church?How did they speak in so many languages? By the Holy Spirit who knows every language. And that is, still being carried on today.What I like about the 700 Club (they are in 200 countries) they call out the Word of knowledge, and many people are healed to the amazement of their doctors.

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
herald;74641]When you are born again said:
We believe that there is only one Holy Spirit. So the Holy Spirit that came upon you on baptism is the same Holy Spirit that lives within you as your guide.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Miss Hepburn;74561][COLOR=Purple][B]Hi Butch said:
In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.[/B] This is from Isaiah 28. That chapter speaks of judgment that would come against Israel in the time of Christ. That judgment was the destrucion of Jerusalem. Paul said that tongues was a sign of this impending judgment. So, after Jerusalem was destroyed there would no longer be any need for tongues since the judgment that it was announcing had past. Therefore it would just fade away and that is what history shows. Remeber the Greek language said that tongues would cease of it's own accord. Regarding prophecy and knowledge Paul said they would cease when the maturity comes. I believe the maturity he was referring to was the maturity of the Christian faith, Which did come to maturity or completion. I could go into much greater detail if you would like, but this is a general overview of why I believe the gifts have ceased.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Even your leaders and supporters cant agree that its biblical or what it is Which is always the case when men misinterpt scripture to make a religion out of it ...So belive what men tell you but it wont save you and its not written as you say there is one baptism and it has nothing to do with tongues and the Cloven tounge of God is understood by all God has no use for babble or muttering ... In his article, "The Scriptural View of the Modern Day Tongues Movement" he states: "The modern day tongues movement has the element of excitement, but it lacks the element of Bible authority. Though some erroneously claim that speaking in the unknown tongue is the evidence of the fulness of the Holy Spirit they do err in not knowing the Scriptures. The use of tongues in the Bible was always the use of known languages." Pastor Dugan's Scriptural analysis of tongues can be read in the following article: "The Scriptural View of the Modern Day Tongues Movement" http://www.seekgod.ca/scripturalview.htm Other Pentecostals like Jack Hayford have changed their definition on tongues, having originally demanded tongues as evidence of the Holy Spirit. “…[Hayford] also refrains from demanding tongues as a proof of Spirit baptism, and instead presents "spiritual language" as a "divine and desirable provision to assist every believer ..." …(Reported in the 8/17/92 Christianity Today , the 3/15/93 Calvary Contender , and the 3/8/93 Christian News…” 72 Chuck Smith had been openly supportive of tongues and signs and wonders with Lonnie Frisbee and also through his previous association with Foursquare Churches and the Vineyard. He now suggests tongues are acceptable in private. In his 1982 book Charisma vs. Charismania, Chuck Smith teaches that the "abuse of tongues" (i.e., blurting out gibberish in a formal church service) makes one a "charismaniac," but speaking in tongues as a private prayer language is not only acceptable, but encouraged and an enjoyable "experience." 73. However, according to adherents and others who have left Calvary Chapels, tongues and signs and wonders continue at CC in Bible studies and after regular services

herald

Oct 2, 2006
2 Tim 3:16 reads in the Greek, "Every Scripture is God breathed..."If you do not believe all the Word of God, then, then you are in unbelief. It doesn't matter what Chuck Smith said. Do you believe all the Scripture?

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
[quote name='herald;74724]2 Tim 3:16 reads in the Greek' date=' "Every Scripture is God breathed..."If you do not believe all the Word of God, then, then you are in unbelief. It doesn't matter what Chuck Smith said. Do you believe all the Scripture?[/QUOTE']Do you believe the word of God?1 Corinthians 13:8-9 ( KJV ) Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
[quote name='herald;74724]2 Tim 3:16 reads in the Greek' date=' "Every Scripture is God breathed..." If you do not believe all the Word of God, then, then you are in unbelief. It doesn't matter what Chuck Smith said. Do you believe all the Scripture?[/QUOTE'] Yes. but you do not appear to ...have you read it ...or do just listen to what someone tells you ? Acts 2 1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. there is no division between this verse and the next it continues and what did it do when sat/came upon them 4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? There was great noise and the Holy Spirit came upon them and every single person from all the nations present understood in their own language even the dilect of where they were born this is the cloven tounge of God when God speaks all understand that is the evidence Now look at 1 Cor. 1 cor 14:2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. Did you get that no man understands it ..... Gods Holy Spirit is understood by all .... 19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. This is so unimportant Paul would rather speak 5 words that are understood than a ten thousand that words of muttering .... how can you think this is the same as God speaking and all men understanding his words do you think God so friviolous he runs around babbling......That this is the sign of Gods Holy Spirit yet Paul would rather speak 5 words in his own voice ?? 27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. Do you speak this babble in front of more than 2 or 3 if so you are breaking Gods word ... But When they spoke in Acts 2 120 were present so Why would God break his own rule if they are the same ? He wouldnt because they are not the same 28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. Keep silent in church unless you have an interpreter .... Do you attend a church where not more than 2 or 3 do this ...is their an interpreter ? If not than you are not following Gods Word .... So why is it you would think he is going going to give you the Holy Ghost if your breaking his Word in your church ?? Again the gifts and the Miracle of Pentecost day are not the same .... One is a lowly gift that ceases and the other is a Miracle that occurs twice in scripture ... Its a gift lower than Charity ...Do you honestly believe if it were the Holy Spirit of God it would be worth less than charity ?? Or are you just seeing what you want to see and not hearing God Words ....

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again the gifts and the Miracle of Pentecost day are not the same .... One is a lowly gift that ceases and the other is a Miracle that occurs twice in scripture ...-C
I never knew that. I'm still a beginner.That's quite a point.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jimmy Engle;74855]Does a person have to be baptized with the holy spirit in order to be saved or born again?[/QUOTE][COLOR=Purple][B]YES...gotcha!No said:

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Jimmy Engle;74855]Does a person have to be baptized with the holy spirit in order to be saved or born again?[/QUOTE] There is only one baptism one religion one God ..[B][SIZE=3]When you accept Jesus Christ as your savior and confess your sins You have just received the Holy Spirit .... And you are now a new man in Christ[/SIZE][/B] .... [U]and do not ever let anyone tell you differnt[/U] ... This tongues and the gifts they speak of have nothing to do with baptism or the Holy spirit ..except that one must [U]already be a professing Christian[/U] if they were to receive a gift .. [B][U]The gift doesnt give you the spirit[/U]........ you already have it when you accepted Christ ... ... [/B] [URL=http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=2Cr&c=5&v=17&t=KJV#17][COLOR=#0000ff]2Cr 5:17[/COLOR][/URL]Therefore if any man [be] in Christ said:
a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. Eph 4:24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. I personally beleve the gifts have ceased ... and they have changed today every person has a gift ... be it charity, teaching, preaching, kind words, even personality that brings joy to others .. I believe these gifts in 1 Cor. were for building the church ... The church is established so now the gifts are personal to the believer .. But whether you agree or not .. its still not the gifts you need to have his spirit its the belief in your heart/mind he is Christ

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Jimmy Engle;74855]Does a person have to be baptized with the holy spirit in order to be saved or born again?[/QUOTE]Very important question said:
[/FONT]Conclusion There is one experience of receiving the Holy Spirit also known as the baptism in the Holy Spirit and being born again. These are synonymous terms for receiving the salvation of God. Man has lost his way, but God's answer is simple and certain Some Other Points 1) In Acts 8v12-18 we read of people who believed what they had heard about Jesus, but it was known that they had not received the Holy Spirit. So, believing in and confessing Jesus does not mean you are born again. 2) Similarly, the believers who Paul baptised in Acts 19v5-6 were known not to have received the Spirit, that's why Paul prayed for them until they did receive.3) “by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit” (1 Corinthians12v13) - The baptism in the Spirit is how God adds people to his church, there is no such thing as a Christian who is not a member of God's church! A person not baptised in the Spirit simply isn't a Christian yet. We are "made to drink" as we speak in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.A Warning Jesus spoke against putting new wine into old bottles. Some people are trying to fit the way the Holy Spirit works into man's traditions and doctrines, so instead of having one church like the New Testament describes where all have received the infilling of the Spirit, we find various “churches” where some people have the Spirit, some don't. Also, 1 Corinthians 14 details what God wants in meetings – the orderly use of all the gifts and ministries by all members. Instead, many find either pre-set liturgy read by a select few ministers and/or emotionalism and supposed new moves of God that last for a while.Result: entertainment but no clear vision or firm foundation, ending in disillusionment. God's Solution Join a church like the one described in the new testament and don't compromise. In doing this you truly love God and people. Jesus' bride will be those who are faithful to him, not those who change things to please men.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
I guess I"ll start by saying...the infillingof the Holy Ghost was a very interestingexperience for me needless to say. Thescripture that comes to my mind is in Acts1:8, 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Jesus had talked with his disciples for overthree years and I am sure most of themthought he was the Son Of God. But hetold them to go to Jerusalem and receivea gift he had for them. So we can agreethat the disciples already had a "Passoverexperience" which was believing on the Lambof God. I'm sure they all thought that they had every-thing they needed in order to be saved afterseeing Jesus come back to life and spending40 days with them and teaching them thethings of the Kingdom. But that wasn't thecase because, now... he tells them they needsome "Pentecost Power" in order to be a witnessin the Kingdom. We know the story... the disciples changed andinfluenced a whole generation of people after the Holy Ghost had came upon them in the upperroom experience. What a DAY! 25 years later, a man named Paul passed throughthe upper coast and came to Ephesus: and findingcertain disciples, he said unto them, 2 have you received the Holy Ghost since youbelieved? Wow, did you see that? These disciples believedbut they didn't even know that the Holy Ghost "after 25 years" had been given. Paul ask, whatthen, " if you don't know about the Holy Ghost",how were you baptised? Acts 19:4, 4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. Now let's rightly divide the Word of Truth and Ihope no one get's offended. When we have a"Passover Experience", it simply means we believethe report that God has given us about His Son. A "Pentecostal Experience" is about learning obedience and hearing God's voice and that takes POWER to overcome everyday things and stay sane. In Pentecost, you receive anearnest of the Spirit ( down payment), and you begin to kill the old man daily. That is the whole purpose of God's plan, which is, allowingpeople to choose whether they want to be aleader ( Pentecost) or a citizen ( Passover) inthe Kingdom. If you choose to be a leader by learning to obeyGod's command, at the end of the age, God willreward you with a crown. You will become a Kingand a Priest to rule with Jesus Christ being Kingof Kings. Logabe

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those that have never gone up to what some call an altar call - to receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit --I think with the laying on of hands and all...how come you haven't?Maybe you have never been to a church that has offered it?I can guarantee you it is something. Different for each person.And not to belittle what you have experienced to date.No, it is not "necessary". And the fullness of your heart probablymakes you wonder why would you need to do anything else?If anyone is having a reaction to this question - why?What keeps a person from receiving this gift freely given?Acts 19:6 as mentioned above was good to post.