The Baptism In The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

herald

Oct 2, 2006
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men dream dreams, your young men shall see visions; and also upon the servants and upon the handmaidens in those days will I pour out My Spirit." Joel 2:28,29.After Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit, He went about healing the sick, and casting out demons by the power (dunamis, from which we get the word dynamite) of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told His disciples, "And, behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you, but tarry in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power (dunamis) from on high." Lu 24:49. This promise was fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost. Acts 2:14-21. The Apostle Paul would later say, "And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 1 Cor 2:4,5.Jesus said, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; in My name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mk 16:17,18.Paul instructed the early church, "Now concerning Spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant...For to one is given by the Spirit the Word of wisdom; to another the Word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues..." 1 Cor 12:1-11."For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue, speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the Spirit he speaketh mysteries...he that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church...wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the Spirit and I will pray with the understanding also; I will sing with the Spirit and I will sing with the understanding also...wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." 1 Cor 14:1-40.Some limit the speaking in tongues, to, merely, preaching in other languages. First of all, the gifts of the Holy Spirit are supernatural - not talents or abilities. It would be blasphemous to say that, sinners who speak more than one language are operating in the Holy Spirit. If one comes to the Word of God with a teachable heart, he will, readily, see in these passages that speaking and praying in tongues is to be part of the worship service.Jude 20,21 tells us, "But ye beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keeping yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.""For precept must be upon precept; line upon line; here a little and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to His people. To whom He said, This is the rest wherewith ye shall cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear." Isa 28:10-12. Will you hear?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
reguardless of what I/we think tongues is it has nothing to do with baptism which is of the heart and avaiable to every professing Christain ...Which is why we are told Eph 4:5One Lord, one faith, one baptism secondly even if you believe that it speaks of muttering tounges its a lowlely gift lower than charity even behind helping another and futher more it shall cease 1Cr 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.1Cr 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away.

herald

Oct 2, 2006
2 Tim 3:16 reads in the Greek, "Every Scripture is God breathed..." Do you believe Acts 2?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just as happy and just as connected and just as devout before receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (tho it was quite an experience) and being able to Speak in Tongues. I was almost obsessed in wanting to receive this Gift. I studied it and asked about it and was told that it made no difference if I could or not...yet, if it was a Gift - I wanted the whole enchilada.I love it and pray in my "prayer language" esp in my car. I love it.But, I prayed to God in my car before, also.I see that it is just fine if someone has not pursued or received this Gift.I'm very new at it -so maybe I will be saying something different as I "do it" more and learn more.I have observed on other Forums that there seems to be a line of division on this subject and the line always seems to simply be ---those that do and those that don't.If a person would like to receive it - they will pursue it. If it makes no difference to them, they don't seem to. Either way seems fine with me.Thanks,:)Miss Hepburn

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
Miss Hepburn;74486][COLOR=Purple]I was just as happy and just as connected and just as devout before receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (tho it was quite an experience) and being able to Speak in Tongues. I was almost obsessed in wanting to receive this Gift. I studied it and asked about it and was told that it made no difference if I could or not...yet said:
If a person would like to receive it - they will pursue it. If it makes no difference to them, they don't seem to. Either way seems fine with me.Thanks,:)Miss Hepburn[/COLOR]
It is those who believe the supernatural gifts have ceased and those who believe they continue. I believe they have ceased.

herald

Oct 2, 2006
They have not ceased. By the power of the Holy Spirit, I have cast out devils, healed the sick, and in a group of three raised a man from the dead, just as Paul raised Eutychus in Acts 20:9-12.My friend Pam was molested by her father at age four. She grew up to be a witch. She reversed a spell in my son's room. That night, my daughter heard something coming from his room. She opened the door, and saw toys flying around the room. The next day, we anointed the room with oil, tooki authority over the demons, and they left.She came to me with blood oozing from her eyes, her ears, her nose, and her mouth. She wanted me to pray for her, I did, and Jesus healed her.Although, I come from an extended family of six, soon to be seven doctors, five nurses, one veterinarian and one chemical engineer, Jesus has been my Healer for forty-one years. He not only, bore our sin, but, also, our sickness and pain. I suggest the book, Christ,The Healer by F.F. Bosworth.He had a healing ministry, and teaches from the Scripture on divine healing.One day, my daughter broke out in hives. Her grandfather, a doctor, told her to abstain from certain foods. My other children just laughed, and said, "Jesus will heal her." And He did!I heard about a 12 year old Hindu girl, whose leg went dead. She heard, that Jesus could heal her. She told her mom, that, she wanted Jesus to heal her. And He did! They became Christians and threw away all their Hindu gods.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Herald,I love it! :)Thank you for sharing.:)Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[quote name='Butch5;74545]It is those who believe the supernatural gifts have ceased and those who believe they continue. I believe they have ceased.[/QUOTE][COLOR=Purple][B]Hi Butch' date='LOL, I may be opening a can of worms here!! But, may I ask what is your thinking in regards to supernatural gifts ceasing?I probably should ask first, if you believe in anything "supernatural".Of course, people view that word differently. So what do I mean?Hmmm, ok, do you believe in answered prayers ---or more basic - do you believe that when we pray there is "Something or Someone" that actually hears those prayers?Just wanted to get where you were coming from more.I am not thinking of changing you -just wanted to understand more where you were coming from.As a new Christian - it is fascinating to me that people believe so many different things -or don't believe...but it doesn't matter to me either way - this isn't going to turn into some angry debate - be sure of that!I'm a very open person that believes most anything, LOL. So far it's working in my favor!! Really LOL now!Thanks,;) Miss Hepburn[/B'][/COLOR]

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
herald;74420]2 Tim 3:16 reads in the Greek said:
Yes I absolutely believe in Acts 2 but that was the Cloven tongue of God it was evidenced by the fact it was understood by all in their own language it also gave the apostles the full knowledge of God to start the church ... It had absolutely nothing to do with baptism nor the unknown babble of today .... It was miracle of God that occurs twice in scripture ..Once past once future ...whether one believes in tongues of today or not It has nothing to do with acts 2 or Pentecost day or baptism It is the lowly gift of 1 Cor. ..... and because it will/has ceased whatever you believe it proves it has nothing to do with baptism as that never ceases

herald

Oct 2, 2006
Jesus said, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; in My name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mk 16:17,18.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Tongues is simply the Word for languages as the word language didnt exist...You cant assome every time its used its talking about todays tongues... Their was no other Word for language ... They will be able to speak the languages of the new people they come in contact with. This was the Aspostels/disciples.... not today Do you know anyone who drinks poison and doest die? .... Even if one believes in todays tongue ..it a self edifying prayer language not to be spoken in church or in large groups... And speaking in mutter tones to strangers in a new land where they didnt speak your language anyway ...to try to preach the gospel around the World start the church ..would have served what purpose ? Going to asia as hebrew speaking apostels and speaking babbel they would just think you crazy... No they were given that they could speak these new Asian,or worldly languages they had never spoke before .. where ever they traveled they could speak the language..... Please explain how else 120 disciples that spoke Hebrew and Greek could preach in India and Asia and every where else they went ....... As the book says they would think they nuts.. if they were muttering incoherently .... I repeat if one believes in todays tongue it is a only a gift of self edifying prayer You may have use of muttering in a prayer ....but God has no use for it ....When he speaks all hear in their own language and understand ...

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
[quote name='Miss Hepburn;74561][COLOR=Purple][B]Hi Butch' date='LOL, I may be opening a can of worms here!! But, may I ask what is your thinking in regards to supernatural gifts ceasing?I probably should ask first, if you believe in anything "supernatural".Of course, people view that word differently. So what do I mean?Hmmm, ok, do you believe in answered prayers ---or more basic - do you believe that when we pray there is "Something or Someone" that actually hears those prayers?Just wanted to get where you were coming from more.I am not thinking of changing you -just wanted to understand more where you were coming from.As a new Christian - it is fascinating to me that people believe so many different things -or don't believe...but it doesn't matter to me either way - this isn't going to turn into some angry debate - be sure of that!I'm a very open person that believes most anything, LOL. So far it's working in my favor!! Really LOL now!Thanks,;) Miss Hepburn[/B'][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Hi Miss Hepburn,I would be happy to answer your questions. Give me a day or so to write a response. The quick answer is, yes, I do believe in some things supernatural.

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
The gift that the Apostles received on Pentecost was the Holy Spirit. They were baptized by the Holy Spirit. This is what St. John the Baptist meant when he said that He who comes after me will baptize you with fire and the Holy Spirit (Matthew 3:11 and Luke 3:16). Jesus told His disciples not to leave Jerusalem until God sends them the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:4-5). Baptism of the Holy Spirit is important that when St. Paul found some disciples who were baptized with water, but not the Holy Spirit, he laid his hands on them so that they may receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 19:1-6). Peace be with you. Diana

herald

Oct 2, 2006
For those who want all that the Lord has, we embrace the baptism in the Holy Spirit. There are millions of Pentecostals all over the world, who cast out demons, heal the sick, and yes, raise the dead.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
herald;74606]For those who want all that the Lord has said:
Yes, it is amazing -as a new active Bible reading Christian - I didn't know that some Chistians don't believe in all this - I just naturally flowed into a church -and found out it is probably considered Pentecostal. It was just a neat church to me.There are healings and such all over the place!!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
herald;74606]For those who want all that the Lord has said:
Everyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their savior and repents is baptised in the spirit to claim other wise is to deny the very Deity of Jesus Christ .... Casting out devils is no guarantee of anything as God himself warns you ...You best pay heed to his words ... thinking because you do a thing you are safe ...... Mat 7:21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christina;74621][[B]Casting out devils is no guarantee of anything as God himself warns you ...You best pay heed to his words[/B] ... thinking because you do a thing you are safe ...... [/QUOTE][B][COLOR=Purple]Hi Christina said:

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I went to a few church gatherings ---there were these "alter calls" where the pastor would say if you have not been baptized in the Holy Spirit -"Come on up!" :)I didn't go...I thought, "Well, I've been Baptized in the Holy Spirit (big time)!"Then the next ime and the next time happened and I thought, "Well, I don't now what exactly this is all about -but, heck - I've never 'gone up there' ---I want all that is offered me -why not -something's going on with all this laying on of hands wacky stuff."And I thought, "What is this hesitancy going on inside me -is that shyness (fear) --well, I'm going to put an end to THAT! So I shot up front like a dart.Well, let me tell you!!! If I didn't have a laughter fit jumping out of my skin beaming with joy, the others were quite somber ---you could have seen my aura out 7 ft. All the while I didn't know what all this mumbo jumbo was going on!Well, low and behold - this mystery of mysteries --now I can pray in tongues.I'm still beaming ear to ear ---life is a joy and I don't have a care in the world.And I don't care who believes it or mocks it -I just keep smilin' and chucklin' to myself.Whatever, I'm happy.And I know the differnce between happy and not happy. ;)Just thought I'd share that.:)Miss Hepburn

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Excellent Miss Hepburn You have it exactly rightmy reason for posting that warning was to remind so many Penecostals I meet on here that mistakenly think if you speak in tongues cast out Devils they alone have been given the holy spirit and are safe... given some speacial Baptism ... This can mislead them to as God says....be told I never knew you .... There is only one baptism and that is given to all who profess belief in Christ and repent of their sins...... That is the only baptism its of the heart ... Not the tongue, speaking tongues, casting out devils is not our guarntee of anything.