The Bible, God's word or mans?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you take the Bible to be the inspired word of God as it states:
2 Tim. 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
Rev. 1:1: “A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place.”
2 Sam. 23:1, 2: “The utterance of David the son of Jesse . . . The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.”
Isa. 22:15: “This is what the Sovereign Lord, Jehovah of armies, has said.”
(Jeremiah 1:9) . . .Then Jehovah stretched out his hand and touched my mouth. And Jehovah said to me: “I have put my words in your mouth.

If it is the inspired word of God, what do you feel your responsibility toward it is?
Believe anything you like, ignore anything you don't like, and then make whatever claims according to your own conjecture, and preach it as the gospel truth!

At least that is what many do without as much as giving it a second thought...or so it seems. It's as if life were a jigsaw puzzle and many start preaching and making half baked claims when they are only half way through. :(

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Translation: "For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."
Of course prophecy had no beginning with man!!! It is God's alone for He is the only entity that can give dictations concerning His will.

It is like in an office environment where there is a "boss" and a bunch of secretaries and summons them to write a memo and begins to DICTATE and the secretaries starts to write His words. The words and thoughts came from the boss.

Last edited:
Reactions: David in NJ

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course prophecy had no beginning with man!!! It is God's alone for He is the only entity that can give dictations concerning His will.

It is like in an office environment where there is a "boss" and a bunch of secretaries and summons them to write a memo and begins to DICTATE and the secretaries starts to write His words. The words and thoughts came from the boss.
There is a significant difference in your analogy. In an office environment where there was a boss and a bunch of secretaries, he dictated and the secretaries wrote his words. (Thankfully that era has passed!)

With prophecy, God inspired the prophets and they wrote their own words. 2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,"

• Wow

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a significant difference in your analogy. In an office environment where there was a boss and a bunch of secretaries, he dictated and the secretaries wrote his words. (Thankfully that era has passed!)

With prophecy, God inspired the prophets and they wrote their own words. 2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,"
Here is a king who called for his scribes to write an edict and have it posted in the town square. He got word that the words he dictated to the scribes were different from that what he had said. Guess what happened? That's right, their heads were cut off!

Likewise, God moved [dictated] to the holy men of God, the words He wanted conveyed! And, if different, they were subject to the warning set forth in Hosea 4:6.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a king who called for his scribes to write an edict and have it posted in the town square. He got word that the words he dictated to the scribes were different from that what he had said. Guess what happened? That's right, their heads were cut off!

Likewise, God moved [dictated] to the holy men of God, the words He wanted conveyed! And, if different, they were subject to the warning set forth in Hosea 4:6.
I don't know which translation you're using, but Hosea 4:6 reads,

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge!
Because you have rejected knowledge,
I reject you from being a priest to me;
and since you have forgotten the law of your God,
I also will forget your children."

You are clearly s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the meaning of the text. The priest being spoken to has rejected knowledge and forgotten God's law and therefore neither he nor his children could serve as priests.

Do you understand the principle of eisegesis? Here is a definition: Eisegesis is the process of interpreting text in such a way as to introduce one's own presuppositions, agendas or biases. It is commonly referred to as reading into the text. Clearly that is what you are doing. Should I believe what God's wrod says or your (faulty) interpretation?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you understand the principle of eisegesis? Here is a definition: Eisegesis is the process of interpreting text in such a way as to introduce one's own presuppositions, agendas or biases. It is commonly referred to as reading into the text. Clearly that is what you are doing. Should I believe what God's wrod says or your (faulty) interpretation?
Most definitely I understand the principle of eisegesis and in fact, I call it (eye)segesis! In turn, do you understand that God spoke in parables and without a parable He did not speak? A parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning!

Which one conveys truth that you would rather follow? A person's presuppositions or God's words?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most definitely I understand the principle of eisegesis and in fact, I call it (eye)segesis! In turn, do you understand that God spoke in parables and without a parable He did not speak? A parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning!

Which one conveys truth that you would rather follow? A person's presuppositions or God's words?
You're not making any sense. Most of the Bible is not parables! Jesus explained spiritual truths in parables, but nobody else did.

And your last sentence makes no sense.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not making any sense. Most of the Bible is not parables! Jesus explained spiritual truths in parables, but nobody else did.
Sezs YOU! Mark 4:34 reads:
"But without a parable spake he not unto them and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples."

9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.
11 And he said unto them, "Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.
13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?"

Is verse 13 above and elsewhere pointing only to Matthew Chapter 13 or the whole Bible?

And your last sentence makes no sense.
Sure it does but not to you! Didn't you say in post #26:

GO FIGURE! The buck ends with you!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sezs YOU! Mark 4:34 reads:
"But without a parable spake he not unto them and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples."

9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.
11 And he said unto them, "Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.
13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?"

Is verse 13 above and elsewhere pointing only to Matthew Chapter 13 or the whole Bible?

Sure it does but not to you! Didn't you say in post #26:

GO FIGURE! The buck ends with you!
As I said, Jesus (only) spoke to people in parables. Claiming anything to the contrary is totally wrong.

I won't discuss this with you any further.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe anything you like, ignore anything you don't like, and then make whatever claims according to your own conjecture, and preach it as the gospel truth!

At least that is what many do without as much as giving it a second thought...or so it seems. It's as if life were a jigsaw puzzle and many start preaching and making half baked claims when they are only half way through. :(
(John 8:46, 47) . . .If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. . . .

Reactions: amadeus and ScottA