The Bible, God's word or mans?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you take the Bible to be the inspired word of God as it states:
2 Tim. 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
Rev. 1:1: “A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place.”
2 Sam. 23:1, 2: “The utterance of David the son of Jesse . . . The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.”
Isa. 22:15: “This is what the Sovereign Lord, Jehovah of armies, has said.”
(Jeremiah 1:9) . . .Then Jehovah stretched out his hand and touched my mouth. And Jehovah said to me: “I have put my words in your mouth.

If it is the inspired word of God, what do you feel your responsibility toward it is?

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have ever done a deep dive …or even a shallow dive into the Word, you should be absolutely convinced that there is no way man could write this… In addition to the other litigating circumstances of the many different writers, from different continents, with different backgrounds, over a 1700-year period…. many of whom never met or knew of each other …and yet it is interwoven throughout time with a cohesive bond by a Director and Author whom no human has seen (face to face)… And yet it has proven itself through prophecy with an unblemished track record…. Those facts alone set it apart from all other human writings.

But it’s when you see the minute accuracies and how it fits together like a complex jigsaw puzzle its inerrancy should leave no doubt… It is the God Breathed Word.

Aside from that …..If it’s not Gods' Word … we have nothing!

If it is the inspired word of God, what do you feel your responsibility toward it is?
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Col 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.
6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have ever done a deep dive …or even a shallow dive into the Word, you should be absolutely convinced that there is no way man could write this… In addition to the other litigating circumstances of the many different writers, from different continents, with different backgrounds, over a 1700-year period…. many of whom never met or knew of each other …and yet it is interwoven throughout time with a cohesive bond by a Director and Author whom no human has seen (face to face)… And yet it has proven itself through prophecy with an unblemished track record…. Those facts alone set it apart from all other human writings.

But it’s when you see the minute accuracies and how it fits together like a complex jigsaw puzzle its inerrancy should leave no doubt… It is the God Breathed Word.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind

Amen Tommy the cool dude! Usually a title I reserve for myself only Bobby instead ;)
So Tom, who is the Lord thy God that we should love wholeheartedly Jesus was referring to sir?

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen Tommy the cool dude! Usually a title I reserve for myself only Bobby instead ;)

So Tom, who is the Lord thy God that we should love wholeheartedly Jesus was referring to sir?
Bobby Cool

God almighty → Elohim ….The creator → El Shaddai

AmeliaFox

Jan 27, 2023
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible is written by many human authors inspired by God - and specifically the Holy Spirit. It is fascinated to examine the extraordinary range of voices and cultures and cultural and literary traditions which are brought together in the Bible - most especially of course through the priestly compositions of the Torah and the histories and prophets up to the point of the 6th century Babylonian exile. Such was their respect with what to them were ancient texts that we can see the joins still. The Bible in all its extraordinary variety is very much a human construct. And it is divine - it is the word of God. This intersection of the human and the divine may be read as in itself prefiguring the Cross - where the Word became flesh and gave himself in agony.

Reactions: Jim B

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Paul calls the OT divine inspired scripture, and then His own writings to churches in the NT are put on the same level.

All the while.. it's being written down within the lifetimes of many who he was writing about..especially the NT.

It's telling when the Pharisees were claiming the body of Jesus was stolen.. they were admitting that Jesus was real, did die on the cross.. and the tomb is empty.

Reactions: Jim B

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible in all its extraordinary variety is very much a human construct. And it is divine - it is the word of God. This intersection of the human and the divine may be read as in itself prefiguring the Cross - where the Word became flesh and gave himself in agony.
Precious friend, Well said! And A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Yes, agree prefiguring The Divine, Who Became Human, The LORD Jesus Christ!

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided! (+ I and II!)

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...

Reactions: AmeliaFox

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Tim. 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
Rev. 1:1: “A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place.”
2 Sam. 23:1, 2: “The utterance of David the son of Jesse . . . The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.”
Isa. 22:15: “This is what the Sovereign Lord, Jehovah of armies, has said.”
(Jeremiah 1:9) . . .Then Jehovah stretched out his hand and touched my mouth. And Jehovah said to me: “I have put my words in your mouth.

When Paul said that, I don't think he was referring to his own letters.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great post. It's always refreshing to encounter an insightful Christian who has the gift of discernment. Thank you.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
trust and obey?
Amen. Being a follower of Christ entails SURRENDERING our will to the will of God.
Great idea? Now, to solve all of the reigning Confusion, surrender to Which Part or Parts, or
ALL of It (God's Word Of Truth)?

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
trust and obey
Amen. Being a follower of Christ entails SURRENDERING our will to the will of God.
trust and obey?

Great idea? Now, to solve all of the reigning Confusion, surrender to Which Part or Parts, or
ALL of It (God's Word Of Truth)?
I don't understand what you are saying or asking.
1) some say: surrender by "obeying the gospel of the kingdom" following the twelve apostles?

2) others say: surrender by "obeying The Gospel of Grace" following one apostle, Paul?

3) still others: homogenize 1+ 2 together?

So, the question of which?

AmeliaFox

Jan 27, 2023
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Precious friend, Well said! And A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Yes, agree prefiguring The Divine, Who Became Human, The LORD Jesus Christ!

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided! (+ I and II!)

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...
Thanks. It is most extraordinary. I see a picture of the Crucifixion and that whole infinite gulf between what we are and what God is - it is impossible. And Jesus does it - he is there. It makes me quite emotional to think of it.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
trust and obey

1) some say: surrender by "obeying the gospel of the kingdom" following the twelve apostles?

2) others say: surrender by "obeying The Gospel of Grace" following one apostle, Paul?

3) still others: homogenize 1+ 2 together?

So, the question of which?
I think that these need further clarification. How is the gospel of the kingdom different than the gospel of grace?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the OP only:

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they wer moved by the Holy Ghost."

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the OP only:

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they wer moved by the Holy Ghost."
Translation: "For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."