The Bible states there is one faith, does it identify it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the main matters that the letter to the Ephesians is addressing is the unity of the Body of Christ aka the New Man and The Temple Made Without Hands (made of Living Stones). He is showing that Jewish and gentile Christians are not divided but are one. They are on equal footing. The Jew/gentile dividing wall which existed in the physical Temple does not exist in the New Creation.

So in Ephesians 4, he's saying that there is not one faith for Jews and one for gentiles but they both share the single faith in the one single God (which Paul identifies as the Father). IE: Jewish monotheism and Christian monotheism are identical:

[Ephesians 4:1-6 NASB20] (1) Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, (2) with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, (3) being diligent to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (4) [There is] one body and one Spirit, just as you also were called in one hope of your calling; (5) one Lord, one faith, one baptism, (6) one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

So this passage is the antidote to the lies of:

* Dispensationalism's two hopes
* Jehovah's Witnesses' two hopes
* Messianic Judaism (because in the New Man, Jewishness no longer exists)
* the two-Messiahs theory
* the idea of three equal Gods
* any of the other invented bases of unity, such as Sabbath observance, eschatology, etc.
* water baptism in the Christian age
* those who cause division on any of these points

Amen! Unity is essential in the one faith sir. How many faiths does that narrow it down to to you?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would depend on the context. Usually we talk about Catholics and Protestants and Jews and Muslims, and the like. But sometimes we might just talk about "believers."

So continue on sir, until you narrow it down to the one faith. What would you say would be the next identifier to narrow it further.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So continue on sir, until you narrow it down to the one faith. What would you say would be the next identifier to narrow it further.
The identifier would simply be those who do what the Lord tells them to do. Some people pray constanlty, as Paul instructed us to do (1 Thessalonians 5:17), but I haven't found a way to determine who prays constantly, and who doesn't.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The identifier would simply be those who do what the Lord tells them to do. Some people pray constanlty, as Paul instructed us to do (1 Thessalonians 5:17), but I haven't found a way to determine who prays constantly, and who doesn't.

So what does the Lord tell us to do?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is a long book with lots of quotations from God and Jesus. I think Jesus sums it up with the two great commandments: Matthew 22:34-40.

I couldn't agree more Bob, seems simple doesn't it, yet a lot is required in that saying. In fact he said those two verses summed up the entire law.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mary, it is true there are about 10 major religions in the world, but I was basically referring to the divisions of the "Christian" faith. Since this is a "Christian" forum, most people exploring this site will consider themselves Christian maam. But for a Christian to be an actual Christian they must worship God in the way He desires, as I am sure you would agree, they must be in the oneness of the faiht Eph 4:11-15
Thank you for that clarification. I appreciate it.

In your OP when you said "There are many faiths in the world, so how does one know which faith belongs to God?" what you really meant was: There are many different Christian denominations (Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist etc) in the world, so how does one know which denomination belongs to God?

Is that a fair summary of what you are asking?

Mary

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I couldn't agree more Bob, seems simple doesn't it, yet a lot is required in that saying. In fact he said those two verses summed up the entire law.
Yes. Understanding what the two laws mean, though, takes time and effort, I suppose.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for that clarification. I appreciate it.

In your OP when you said "There are many faiths in the world, so how does one know which faith belongs to God?" what you really meant was: There are many different Christian denominations (Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist etc) in the world, so how does one know which denomination belongs to God?

Is that a fair summary of what you are asking?

Mary
Yes maam, although many would disagree that it would even be one of the Christian faiths from those religions that do not claim to be Christian. Some make some sense, but some make none to me anyway. Since most of us posting here believe the Christian faith is God's people, then that is primarily what I was referring to. God does identify the faith beyond any doubt in the Bible. The Bible also explains where all these sects came from, as well as whether God is pleased by them or not.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Understanding what the two laws mean, though, takes time and effort, I suppose.

Actually they are quite simple, especially the second one, Love others as yourself, not hard at all. But of course there are many requirements in loving Jehovah, one has to know His commandments to obey them, it is that obedience that shows our love for Him sir 1 Jn 5:3

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually they are quite simple, especially the second one, Love others as yourself, not hard at all. But of course there are many requirements in loving Jehovah, one has to know His commandments to obey them, it is that obedience that shows our love for Him sir 1 Jn 5:3
Lots of people seem to equate love and sexual lust, so that when the Lord says to love your neighbor as yourself, they justify immoral lust. We learn, however, that immoral lust is the opposite of love.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of people seem to equate love and sexual lust, so that when the Lord says to love your neighbor as yourself, they justify immoral lust. We learn, however, that immoral lust is the opposite of love.

I think I can truthfully say that I know no one that uses that verse for sexual lust. Jesus defined love Bob: (John 15:13) . . .No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends. . .

Self sacrificing love is what Jesus was referring to, as you and I know

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I can truthfully say that I know no one that uses that verse for sexual lust. Jesus defined love Bob: (John 15:13) . . .No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends. . .

Self sacrificing love is what Jesus was referring to, as you and I know
I'm not talking about that verse. I'm just pointing out that some people think immoral lust is love. Point being: We have to learn what love is. We have to learn this from God. We don't have the wisdom he has.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not talking about that verse. I'm just pointing out that some people think immoral lust is love. Point being: We have to learn what love is. We have to learn this from God. We don't have the wisdom he has.

Again I know of no one who equates love your neighbor as your self as being a justification for immoral lust.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know anyone who engages in immoral lust?

Yes sir, several, but not one of them believe that God approves of it, or tries to justify it scripturally. Although I know one homosexual that likely thinks God accepts it, and another that is struggling with his sexuality who does believe he is a Christian. That is as close as I see it Bob