The Bible states there is one faith, does it identify it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For he who is not against us is on our side." Mark 9:40

Let me ask you Scott, do you think that applies today, or was it time sensitive? The context of the statement was that this individual was doing right, but he was not following the Christ along with the rest of them. Why did Jesus say this was acceptable, that he did not have to follow him at this time?

Jesus personally chose the 12 to be his followers, he came to God's people of whom numbered into the millions, yet only chose to be training and closely associating with them, for a reason I might add. The truth is, that man was very likely one of God's people under the law covenant as were Jesus and the 12, but the new covenant was not yet in force. If the person continued to pursue the faith on his own after the Christian congregation was formed, do you believe he would still be accepted? I would say the probability was very high that he was among those who received the holy spirit, but with the formation of the new faith, he would be expected to be among those in association with the congregation. Heb 10:24,25

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask you Scott, do you think that applies today, or was it time sensitive? The context of the statement was that this individual was doing right, but he was not following the Christ along with the rest of them. Why did Jesus say this was acceptable, that he did not have to follow him at this time?

Jesus personally chose the 12 to be his followers, he came to God's people of whom numbered into the millions, yet only chose to be training and closely associating with them, for a reason I might add. The truth is, that man was very likely one of God's people under the law covenant as were Jesus and the 12, but the new covenant was not yet in force. If the person continued to pursue the faith on his own after the Christian congregation was formed, do you believe he would still be accepted? I would say the probability was very high that he was among those who received the holy spirit, but with the formation of the new faith, he would be expected to be among those in association with the congregation. Heb 10:24,25
No, it was not limited to that time, but remains true.

But back to the subject of faith... The body of Christ has many members, wherein the thumb opposes the fingers but there is no conflict. The spiritual war has many fronts under one Commander.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: The Bible states there is one faith, does it identify it?

One Biblical "faith" = Most Assuredly, Precious friends, According To Scriptures,
IT (Seven Times) Must Be "The FAITH That Belongs To God":

"The FAITH OF God"
(Romans 3:3) =
"The FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST" (Romans 3:22) =
"The FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST" (Galatians 2:16) =
"The FAITH OF The SON Of God" (Galatians 2:20) =
"The FAITH OF JESUS CHRIST" (Galatians 3:22) =
"The FAITH OF CHRIST" (Philippians 3:9)

+

Is this Doctrine of "The FAITH OF Him," Important To us,
The Body Of CHRIST, Today, Under GRACE, In this Relevant Passage?:

"And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the MYSTERY,
which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, Who created
all things by JESUS CHRIST: To the intent that now unto the principalities
and powers in heavenly [places] might be known by The Church (Of This FAITH)
The Manifold Wisdom Of God, According To The Eternal Purpose Which He
Purposed In CHRIST JESUS our LORD: In WHOM we have boldness and
access with confidence by The FAITH OF Him." (Ephesians 3:9-12)

IF we all, "in fellowship With JESUS CHRIST," (1 Corinthians 1:9),
(INSTEAD of focusing on religions (faiths?) and denominations of faith?, and
millions of individuals, who EACH declare some "kind of faith"?),
did Acknowledge "The FAITH OF Him," would not This then be the result
"...Of UNITY In The Spirit In The Bond Of PEACE...In The ONE FAITH..."?
(Ephesians 4:3-6):

"Only let your conversation be as it becometh The Gospel Of CHRIST: that
whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs,
that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for THE
FAITH OF The Gospel (Of CHRIST)
" (Philippians 1:27 cp 1 Corinthians 1:9-10)

===============================
(2 Timothy 2:15; Romans 16:25; Ephesians 3:9 = Grace/Mystery
fellowship
{Romans - Philemon}, For ALL “to SEE,” today,?)

Please Be Richly Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, and Edified,
In "The FAITH OF The LORD And SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST!":

God's Simple Will!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is when churches decide worshiping in truth means you have to hold the cup this way. Or some other absurd, spiritless rule for how to do church.

The law of the Christ is not open for appeal sir. You stray outside the law, you have apostatized.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it was not limited to that time, but remains true.

But back to the subject of faith... The body of Christ has many members, wherein the thumb opposes the fingers but there is no conflict. The spiritual war has many fronts under one Commander.

I hope you are correct Scott, I think anyone standing outside the Christian congregation will not survive if they are living at Jesus' return.

Reactions: ScottA

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does a person need to know? What if we simply do what Jesus said here?

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30
One of my favorite passages!
He is our rest, in whom we find peace. He leads us as if a yoke were on our necks. The yoke guides us to follow Him. If we are with someone who is guided by another faith, then that would be an unequally yoked relationship. Each person would be trying to go in different directions, causing friction, discontent, confusion, frustration. Ultimately this relationship doesn't work and it is draining to each individual. I had a marriage that was just like this. I learned what unequally yoked was the hard way.
Anyways, His yoke is easy, so we should not be stressed, it shouldn't be a hard way to follow. His burden is light. We shouldn't feel like we are carrying the burdens of this world on our backs. We are to let them go and give them to Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But for a Christian to be an actual Christian they must worship God in the way He desires, as I am sure you would agree, they must be in the oneness of the faiht Eph 4:11-15

Therein lies your error!
"... Must worship in a way He desires". ???

This implies a "works" oriented faith. It suggests we have to perform some ritualistic right of passage to attain salvation.
No, faith is a gift, not earned, not merited, with no formulas or methods or conditions attached ... other than BELIEVING that Jesus died for our sins and rose on the third day according to the scriptures.
All who base their faith on this fundamental belief are saved.

There are many aspects of our salvation/faith.
Faith is a gift.
The "gift of FAITH" is a result of an enormous array of preparation, guidance, lessons, involving many people and events that contribute to this divine appointment, which amounts to many years of Grace. When it is finally presented to the chosen individual, they are ready to receive it. They believe in Christ, because God finally convinced them of the TRUTH. Lifting the veil of blindness is part of God's process. He does not go through all this preparation with no knowledge of the end results. He knows. HE doesn't give a gift and then later, change His mind and take it away. This change of heart and mind that we receive grows but is perminent. When you are born again, it is a done deal. The seed was planted in fertile soil because God prepared it. The person now being in agreement with Christ, was enabled to believe, to follow and to persevere. Perseverence in the faith is not something that we conjure up from the OLD SELF. No this was part of the gift as is the fruit of the Spirit. It is part of the power of God that we have access to.
Belief is a big word. If you believe in Christ that means you will trust Him with your life and do what He says.
The obedience is also part of this gift of faith. The word is the power of God to transform you -- all of you; your mind, will and emotions and your actions. It is all part of the package of FAITH.

P.S. 4 days later > For anyone else reading this, it is clear to me at this time that I am on this man's ignore list. It is fine. There is real no reasoning with a Jehovah Witness anyways, they are narrow minded.
Any of us can spend years on this mission to hopefully change their minds and reaxh the realizatiin that it is futile. So I am "an opposer" .... ooooowwww.
I just can't stand by and let them try to push their flawed Christianity on anyone who may be to weak in the faith to recognize it.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope you are correct Scott, I think anyone standing outside the Christian congregation will not survive if they are living at Jesus' return.
The kingdom (Jesus' return) "comes not by observation", but rather in the glory of the Father whom is spirit...and while those who do not know him are unaware.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the congregations of Christianity are seven...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

Candlesticks - Seven church congregations
Stars - Individuals within the congregations, all held in the right hand of Christ
Seals - The seven seals sealed each congregation within the lambs book of life

And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

If this interpretation is not correct why all the ado?

254811_e2605e7ea7d44a55b55ec8f9edea64a9.png

Much variety in the Christian church!
You make a goid point. The Seven Churches werw apecific chueches in thw first century that continued, but were alai chuech-types thoughout the ages. Two were faithful and the others suffered from sin and false doctrines. Jesus' message to them was to repent or else. We still sin and teach false doctrines in churches today. We also see ourselves, sinners who need correction, who need to be chastised, but there is God right there, Who is merciful to correct us and forgive us. False doctrines need correction but it doesn't these churches are damned. Some maybe.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are many faiths in the world, so how does one know which faith belongs to God?
Absolutely.
KJV Revelation 14:12
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Does your church... Do you... keep all the Commandments of God? I ask because you asked what church is identified as God's church. God's church is here identified as Commandment keepers.
Jehovah, the eternal, self-existent, uncreated One, Himself the Source and Sustainer of all, is alone entitled to supreme reverence and worship. Man is forbidden to give to any other object the first place in his affections or his service. Whatever we cherish that tends to lessen our love for God or to interfere with the service due Him, of that do we make a god. That deals with the first two Commandments. But do we not make of ourselves another God each time we allow ourselves to deny the authority of the other 8 or 9?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One should always start with a definition of faith if you want to discuss it.
Here are a couple translations of Heb. 1:1.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." KJV

So what is the "substance" of things hoped for?
What is the evidence of things not seen?

"Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen". ASV

Here we see that substance is translated as assurance. In other translations, confidence or reality is used. I like reality. Truth actually means reality. Jesus is the TRUTH. He is reality. We are in Christ.

Evidence and conviction are similarly relative.
What gives us this confidence?
Is it based in something we do or what someone else does?
There is a common faith that people have in themselves, in others and in physical reality. A baby knows his parents will care for him becauase they have continously done so. He has this confidence and it is assured by his parents that they will provide for him and his future will be okay. We have faith that it will eventually rain, the sun will rise and in the operations of the physical universe because of the evidence that it has operated that way.m for quite some time. We look to the future and have faith that things unseen will take place because they have in history and we see cycles repeating.
But this faith has flaws. Things happen that cause us to lose hope in the future. Parents get sick, lose their jobs or die and the child loses his faith after going hungry or suffers through the many tragedies in life. Parents also make promises that they don't keep, they fail. And so faith is fragile. This is common faith.

The faith that God gives us has true and perfect assurance based on the evidence/reality of Christ. His faith is flawless. His promises don't fail. So we are given this spiritual/ supernatural substance/assurance not based on our own reality, other people or the universe. It is based on the spiritual reality of God AND the physical evidence of the death and resurrectuon of Jesus, OUR SAVIOR. Now how well we grow in that knowledge varies with the individual, but it is allotted by God in accordance to His purpose.
So this faith is not an earthly, human construct that we can conjure up by performance or works. It is a supernatural gift from God. We need to embrace it and cherish it. This faith enables us to be obedient as it grows. It is all God doing the work within us. We cannot take credit for it.
John 3:3 is when we receive this faith.
Are you born again? Is your faith from above or down below?

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, that is a fact. So out of all the faiths in the world, how many does that narrow it down to as being the "one faith"?
Not sure what you mean by "one faith." You might define all those who follow the two great commandments as being of one faith, regardless of what they are called.

Reactions: Illuminator

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely.
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Does your church... Do you... keep all the Commandments of God? I ask because you asked what church is identified as God's church. God's church is here identified as Commandment keepers.
Jehovah, the eternal, self-existent, uncreated One, Himself the Source and Sustainer of all, is alone entitled to supreme reverence and worship. Man is forbidden to give to any other object the first place in his affections or his service. Whatever we cherish that tends to lessen our love for God or to interfere with the service due Him, of that do we make a god. That deals with the first two Commandments. But do we not make of ourselves another God each time we allow ourselves to deny the authority of the other 8 or 9?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely.

Yes sir, the one faith must keep the commandments of God, so how many does that narrow it down to?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by "one faith." You might define all those who follow the two great commandments as being of one faith, regardless of what they are called.

That certainly narrows it down, does this narrow it down to only one to you Bob?

Ruminator

Nov 11, 2021
Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the main matters that the letter to the Ephesians is addressing is the unity of the Body of Christ aka the New Man and The Temple Made Without Hands (made of Living Stones). He is showing that Jewish and gentile Christians are not divided but are one. They are on equal footing. The Jew/gentile dividing wall which existed in the physical Temple does not exist in the New Creation.

So in Ephesians 4, he's saying that there is not one faith for Jews and one for gentiles but they both share the single faith in the one single God (which Paul identifies as the Father). IE: Jewish monotheism and Christian monotheism are identical:

[Ephesians 4:1-6 NASB20] (1) Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, (2) with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, (3) being diligent to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (4) [There is] one body and one Spirit, just as you also were called in one hope of your calling; (5) one Lord, one faith, one baptism, (6) one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

So this passage is the antidote to the lies of:

* Dispensationalism's two hopes
* Jehovah's Witnesses' two hopes
* Messianic Judaism (because in the New Man, Jewishness no longer exists)
* the two-Messiahs theory
* the idea of three equal Gods
* any of the other invented bases of unity, such as Sabbath observance, eschatology, etc.
* water baptism in the Christian age
* those who cause division on any of these points

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That certainly narrows it down, does this narrow it down to only one to you Bob?
It would depend on the context. Usually we talk about Catholics and Protestants and Jews and Muslims, and the like. But sometimes we might just talk about "believers."