The Book of Enoch

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints.... - Jude 1:14

At least some of the Book of Enoch is legitimate because Jude quoted out of the book.

1. The words of the blessing of Enoch, wherewith he blessed the elect and righteous, who will be living in the day of tribulation, when all the wicked and godless are to be removed.
2. And he took up his parable and said--Enoch a righteous man, whose eyes were opened by God, saw the vision of the Holy One in the heavens, which the angels showed me, and from them I heard everything, and from them I understood as I saw, but not for this generation, but for a remote one which is for to come.
3. Concerning the elect I said, and took up my parable concerning them: The Holy Great One will come forth from His dwelling,
4. And the eternal God will tread upon the earth, (even) on Mount Sinai, And appear from His camp And appear in the strength of His might from the heaven of heavens.
5. And all shall be smitten with fear And the Watchers shall quake, And great fear and trembling shall seize them unto the ends of the earth.
6. And the high mountains shall be shaken, And the high hills shall be made low, And shall melt like wax before the flame
7. And the earth shall be wholly rent in sunder, And all that is upon the earth shall perish, And there shall be a judgement upon all men.
8. But with the righteous He will make peace And will protect the elect, And mercy shall be upon them. And they shall all belong to God, And they shall be prospered, And they shall all be blessed. And He will help them all,And light shall appear unto them,And He will make peace with them.
9 And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones To execute judgement upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh. Of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, And of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. - The Book of Enoch Chapter 1

How much of the Book of Enoch is believable?

Reactions: TLHKAJ

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jude did not quote from the so-called "Book of Enoch". He quoted from Enoch. That is not the same thing. The book of Enoch is nothing more than a pseudo-document that neither the Hebrews nor the first century Christians recognized as inspired.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Enoch is nothing more than a pseudo-document that neither the Hebrews nor the first century Christians recognized as inspired.
True. Yet one has to wonder as to how the writer obtained so much information about angels. The Ethiopian and Coptic Orthodox churches regard this book as canonical.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a copy of the book... It is very interesting to say the least! I won't ever argue a doctrinal point based on the book. But I would reference it as a possibilty. Its a fun read but I can't place it on the same level as the Bible.

Reactions: marks and Helen

GUANO

Jun 5, 2018
Pasadena, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. Yet one has to wonder as to how the writer obtained so much information about angels. The Ethiopian and Coptic Orthodox churches regard this book as canonical.

It's Chaldean in origin---they were the original worshipers of angels and saints. Some parts of the book are certainly quoted in scripture contrary to what another poster had said (and this is proven by archeological discovery) but certainly tread lightly as the figurative language will expose you to superstitious thought. When it comes to eschatology, the book of Enoch contains some of the best prophecies concerning the Messiah and the "Last Days"....

With that being said, the book itself has been used more by sorcerers and magicians than anything else and was certainly not written by Enoch. Do not take the cycles of the luminaries and the choirs of angels literally---this part of the book is a highly esoteric writing on demonology.

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would you think the other NT writers received the information they wrote?

Reactions: TEXBOW

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone actually believe Enoch wroth the "Book of Enoch?"

GUANO

Jun 5, 2018
Pasadena, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone actually believe Enoch wroth the "Book of Enoch?"
You would be surprised... But most also believe the book of Isaiah and many others were penned solely by the people that bear the books' names...

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder if it has ever occurred to anyone that Enoch left this world about 1000 years before the development of any written language?

Reactions: TEXBOW

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How would you think the other NT writers received the information they wrote?
The NT writers wrote by divine inspiration, but Enoch is not a part of the biblical canon. So we really don't know how Enoch (or the person claiming to be Enoch) obtained his information. Much of it is not corroborated in Scripture.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wonder if it has ever occurred to anyone that Enoch left this world about 1000 years before the development of any written language?
Enoch lived around 3,500 BC, and ancient Sumerian cuneiform writing did exist at that time. So there was a written language available to him.

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Enoch lived around 3,500 BC, and ancient Sumerian cuneiform writing did exist at that time. So there was a written language available to him.
According to Biblical chronology, Enoch lived between 622 to 987 after creation. When Enoch was alive, Adam was still living. The earliest known example of written language would not appear for about another 1000 years, probably developed by the Akkadians.

Last edited:

oldhermit

Dec 19, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NT writers wrote by divine inspiration, but Enoch is not a part of the biblical canon. So we really don't know how Enoch (or the person claiming to be Enoch) obtained his information. Much of it is not corroborated in Scripture.
Since Jude wrote by inspiration, this means his source of information was the Lord, not legend or stories passed down from one generation to the next.

Reactions: marks

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints.... - Jude 1:14

At least some of the Book of Enoch is legitimate because Jude quoted out of the book.

1. The words of the blessing of Enoch, wherewith he blessed the elect and righteous, who will be living in the day of tribulation, when all the wicked and godless are to be removed.
2. And he took up his parable and said--Enoch a righteous man, whose eyes were opened by God, saw the vision of the Holy One in the heavens, which the angels showed me, and from them I heard everything, and from them I understood as I saw, but not for this generation, but for a remote one which is for to come.
3. Concerning the elect I said, and took up my parable concerning them: The Holy Great One will come forth from His dwelling,
4. And the eternal God will tread upon the earth, (even) on Mount Sinai, And appear from His camp And appear in the strength of His might from the heaven of heavens.
5. And all shall be smitten with fear And the Watchers shall quake, And great fear and trembling shall seize them unto the ends of the earth.
6. And the high mountains shall be shaken, And the high hills shall be made low, And shall melt like wax before the flame
7. And the earth shall be wholly rent in sunder, And all that is upon the earth shall perish, And there shall be a judgement upon all men.
8. But with the righteous He will make peace And will protect the elect, And mercy shall be upon them. And they shall all belong to God, And they shall be prospered, And they shall all be blessed. And He will help them all,And light shall appear unto them,And He will make peace with them.
9 And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones To execute judgement upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh. Of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, And of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. - The Book of Enoch Chapter 1

In early 1989, I had a panoramic vision of verse nine.
I saw myself in it, and at the time I had never heard of the book of Enoch.
I believe the book of the Watchers is of God.
I believe the book of Enoch is for the mature, in the last days of the church age.
Since v.9 is also in the book of Jude, this confirms to me that it is from God.
I believe the bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is God's word, though I don't believe all of God's word is in the bible.
Beginning in 2013, God started me on a 6-month journey, through You Tube videos, that culminated with the book of Enoch.
Otherwise, I would never have gone near it.
upload_2021-1-25_12-43-58.png

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d like to revive this old topic.

Why do you think the book of Enoch is excluded from many bibles except in Ethiopia?

Reactions: Wrangler

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d like to revive this old topic.

Why do you think the book of Enoch is excluded from many bibles except in Ethiopia?

the New Testament clearly tells us that the apostles were identifying Scripture as it was being written (2 Peter 3:14-16; cf. 1 Timothy 5:18 and Luke 10:7 ). The New Testament books were being distributed by the apostles to the various churches to be read (Galatians 6:11; Colossians 4:16; 1 Thessalonians 5:27; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; 3:14). By the time the apostles died, the New Testament had been written and its books were known.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There's TWO versions of the book of Enoch. The version from the Ethiopia manuscripts is the legit one. The other version is a pseudo writing. This info is beyond any errors that it may contain in it, which is one of the reasons why it was not included in the Canon of The Bible. In one place, it says the giants were around 300 feet tall. The Bible has them more like 9-11 feet tall (king Og of Bashan's bed.)

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
T it says the giants were around 300 feet tall. The Bible has them more like 9-11 feet tall (king Og of Bashan's bed.)

I don't believe that giants were 300 feet tall; but I do give thought to the possibility that pre-flood giants were a lot bigger than post-flood giants like Goliath. I watched a show some time ago that they uncovered bones of people living that may have been up-words of 30 feet tall. But the Smithsonian tried to hush it up.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that giants were 300 feet tall; but I do give thought to the possibility that pre-flood giants were a lot bigger than post-flood giants like Goliath. I watched a show some time ago that they uncovered bones of people living that may have been up-words of 30 feet tall. But the Smithsonian tried to hush it up.

One of these days (when Jesus returns) everyone will know. Just believing that the Genesis 6 mating of the "sons of God" (angels) with the daughters of men to produce a hybrid giant offspring is a huge step for many brethren to believe.

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yep: I believe it because the Word says it. But I have been trying to rap my head around it. In my mind I thought the angles were not created to produce offspring! Now we know that fallen angels (demons) are roaming free on the earth, yet the Bible says, I think in Jude that there are demons bound by chains waiting for there judgment. I wonder if those demons that are bound are the ones that produced giant of old. That would explain why there have not been giant like that since the OT! Just my thought.

Last edited: