The Book Of Enock

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
“So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.” Genesis 1:27 (KJV)

The Book of Enoch is still part of the canon in Ethiopian and Coptic Christian Bibles. Jude, the half-brother of Christ, quotes the book of Enoch in Jude 1:14-15. It was accepted as canon in the early church but was later excluded by the RCC. If it was good enough for the early church and Jude, its good enough for me, so will I won’t debate regarding its usage.

If you’ve not read the Book of Enoch, you certainly should. It’s a fascinating account of how the Watchers (angels) decided to rebel against God by assuming human form, marrying human women and producing hybrid offspring known as Nephilim. These offspring were BAD NEWS and were quite evil.

“Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they began to approach, and with whom they cohabitated; teaching them sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees. And the women conceiving brought forth giants, whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible to feed them; when they turned themselves against men, in order to devour them; and began to injure birds, beasts, reptiles, and fishes, to eat their flesh one after another, and to drink their blood. Then the earth proved unrighteous.” Book of Enoch 7:10-15

Should you choose to figure out how tall 300 cubits is, just remember the report of the Israelites who spied out the land of Canaan. “And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.” Numbers 13:33 (KJV) Evidently, this was no exaggeration!

Josephus, the Jewish historian who lived in Jesus’ day, reported the giants “had bodies so large, and countenances so entirely different from other men, that they were surprising to the sight, and terrible to the hearing. The bones of these men are still shown to this very day, unlike to any credible relations of other men,” and they were “overbearing and disdainful of every virtue.”

The Lord told Enoch to explain to the Watchers why their actions were unforgivable. “You being spiritual, holy, and possessing a life which is eternal, have polluted yourselves with women; have begotten in carnal blood; have lusted in the blood of men; and have done as those who are flesh and blood do. These however die and perish. Therefore have I given them wives, that they might cohabit with them; that sons might be born of them; and that this might be transacted upon earth. But you from the beginning were made spiritual, possessing a life which is eternal, and not subject to death forever. Therefore I made not wives for you, because, being spiritual, your dwelling is in heaven.” Book of Enoch 15:3-7

keras

Writer of Bible study guides
Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I suggest you ask the moderators to correct your spelling mistake.

Yes, I have read the Book of Enoch. And all the Apocrypha books, there is much of interest in them. But for whatever reason, they are not included in the Holy canon. I believe that God had a hand in that choice, therefore we cannot make doctrines out of them and as you go further on the track of non-scriptural writings, demonic fiction soon appears. To be avoided, as of no use or benifit.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
keras said:
I suggest you ask the moderators to correct your spelling mistake.

Yes, I have read the Book of Enoch. And all the Apocrypha books, there is much of interest in them. But for whatever reason, they are not included in the Holy canon. I believe that God had a hand in that choice, therefore we cannot make doctrines out of them and as you go further on the track of non-scriptural writings, demonic fiction soon appears. To be avoided, as of no use or benifit.
Much as I hate to disagree with you, my friend.
I refer you to Paul:

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

For some reason, most modern Christians seem to think that Paul was referring to the Bible.
But this is impossible.
Why? The answer is so very simple. (Maybe that's why so many can't see it?)

Paul couldn't have been referring to the Bible as we know it today, because the Bible did not exist when he wrote those words.

It is my contention that when Paul said "all scripture is given"....he literally meant all of it.

On the other hand, I will agree that God did make sure that everything we need to know concerning our salvation is in our Bible.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So where do you draw the line?
There's whole libraries full of writings on religious matters from the early Church until today.

As I say, I have read Enoch, plus the criticisms of it and it is very unlikely to have been written by him. Many books of this nature were written by monks in the 1st century. It must have been boring to be stuck in a monastery, writing something racy would have given some excitement!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
keras said:
So where do you draw the line?
There's whole libraries full of writings on religious matters from the early Church until today.

As I say, I have read Enoch, plus the criticisms of it and it is very unlikely to have been written by him. Many books of this nature were written by monks in the 1st century. It must have been boring to be stuck in a monastery, writing something racy would have given some excitement!
Well, it's a thumping good story, then. I dunno, call me naive...but if it says Enoch, I'm just silly enough to believe it. I am pretty sure that "the sons of God" who took wives of "the daughters of men" were angels, though.
I'm not so sure about all that stuff about giants, but there are legends.

Fee Fie Foe Fum!!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
As I say, I have read Enoch, plus the criticisms of it and it is very unlikely to have been written by him. Many books of this nature were written by monks in the 1st century. It must have been boring to be stuck in a monastery, writing something racy would have given some excitement! This is so full of Garbage I need a Garbage truck to take it out! Amazing that people can thread like this ! And He has a cheerleader to keep it going> two garbage trucks are needed because they deny the truth and spread a lie!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
The Book of Enoch in Aramaic were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, and it is clear that whoever collected the scrolls considered it a vitally important text. All but one of the five major components of the Ethiopic anthology have turned up among the scrolls. But even more intriguing is the fact that additional, previously unknown or little-known texts about Enoch were discovered at Qumran.

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
Monks writing this because they are bored!!!!!!>>>>> total garbage>>>>> who is this man writing this?????

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
Irenaeus

Irenaeus (130 A.D. – 202 AD) was a bishop of the church in Lyons, France. He was an eyewitness to the Apostle John (who wrote the Book of Revelation) and a disciple of Polycarp, the first of the Apostle John’s disciples. Irenaeus is most-known for his five-volume treatise, Against Heresies in which he exposed the false religions and cults of his day along with advice for how to share the Gospel with those were a part of them.

In his writings on Bible prophecy, he acknowledged the phrase “a time, times and dividing of times” in Daniel 7 to signify the 3 ½ year reign of the Antichrist as ruler of the world before the Second Coming of Christ. He also believed in a literal Millennial reign of Christ on earth following the Second Coming and the resurrection of the just.

On the subject of the Rapture, in Against Heresies 5.29, he wrote:

“Those nations however, who did not of themselves raise up their eyes unto heaven, nor returned thanks to their Maker, nor wished to behold the light of truth, but who were like blind mice concealed in the depths of ignorance, the word justly reckons “as waste water from a sink, and as the turning-weight of a balance — in fact, as nothing;”(1) so far useful and serviceable to the just, as stubble conduces towards the growth of the wheat, and its straw, by means of combustion, serves for working gold. And therefore, when in the end the Church shall be suddenly caught up from this, it is said, “There shall be tribulation such as has not been since the beginning, neither shall be.”(2) For this is the last contest of the righteous, in which, when they overcome they are crowned with incorruption.”

Irenaeus in this passage describes the church leaving the sinful world just before unprecedented disasters. Note his use of the term “caught up” which is Rapture terminology as that is the meaning of harpazo, the term for “caught up” in the King James Bible describing the Rapture in 1 Thessalonians 4. He then quotes Matthew 24:21 where The Lord Jesus Christ says: “For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.” And it is during this time that those who convert to Christianity during the final years will receive the incorruptible crown mentioned by the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:25. In Irenaeus’ belief, the Rapture took place prior to the end times Great Tribulation.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
blessedhope said:
The Book of Enoch in Aramaic were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, and it is clear that whoever collected the scrolls considered it a vitally important text. All but one of the five major components of the Ethiopic anthology have turned up among the scrolls. But even more intriguing is the fact that additional, previously unknown or little-known texts about Enoch were discovered at Qumran.
I stand corrected. The Book of Enoch must have been written before Christ. That is anytime from 1 BC to 4000 BC. The monks wrote a whole raft of other fiction, though.
The fact remains, the Book of Enoch is not a part of the Bible canon. Therefore it is not scriptural and why are you promoting it?

The Early Church Fathers aren't scriptural either and Irenaeus was confused when he wrote about the 'harpazo'. 2 Thess, 4:11-17 is clear, this will happen as the Lord Jesus descends to the earth for His Millennial reign, which is immediately after the Great Trib. So this isn't saying about a rapture to heaven. Jesus comes from heaven, at no time do living Christians go there.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Considering the people who compiled the bible where kiiling people who said teh world was flat, Im not suprised it is not part of the bible. Just because it isnt considerd part of the cannon doesnt mean it doesnt have its value.

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
Ker> what else did the monks write when they where bored> The Rapture?The Early Church Fathers aren't scriptural either and Irenaeus was confused when he wrote about the 'harpazo' Ker your just unbelievable, every one is confused other them YOU!!! YA.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ENOCH COULD NOT HAVE WRITTEN A BOOK!!!

Writing began with Moses and Enoch lived before Moses and could not have written a book.

What had to have happened was that the Holy Spirit told Jude about the utterance of Enoch which Enoch prophesied back there in ancient times that Jude wrote in Jude 1:14-15.

To God Be The Glory

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
blessedhope said:
Ker> what else did the monks write when they where bored> The Rapture?The Early Church Fathers aren't scriptural either and Irenaeus was confused when he wrote about the 'harpazo' Ker your just unbelievable, every one is confused other them YOU!!! YA.
No, the so called pre trib rapture, was dreamed up in the early 1800's.
Any removal to heaven to live, of anyone is unscriptural and is just a Satanic lie. You are deceived and deluded if you believe that false teaching.

Yes, mjrhealth, the Apocryphal books are very interesting, but must be read with the truth in mind that the Bible takes precedence.

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
No, the so called pre trib rapture, was dreamed up in the early 1800's.. Realy monks that where bored in the 1800 s. or darby, I take it a little girl. I read all that trash!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
Peter Jurieu was a French Calvinist preacher and was considered 'the
Goliath of the French Protestants". He wrote in A.D. 1687 about the Rapture
and the Premillennial return of Christ. Jurieu discussed the coming of
Jesus to translate the saints priour to the time He returns in Judgment. He
preached in Rotterdam as one of the greatest of the Reformers in his day.
Jurieu refuted the amillennial teaching of his day and clearly argued for
the premillennial position regarding Christ's return. He also believed that
Christ would come in the air to rapture the saints and return to heaven
before the Battle of Armageddon. His book disproves the theory that the
pretrib rapture was first invented by Darby. Over 130 years before Darby,
Jurieu spoke of a secret Rapture, "a kind of clandestine coming of Christ'
prior to His coming in glory and judgment at Armageddon. In chapter 24:8:1
he wrote of John's prophecy about the Millennium, "the saints shall reign
with christ a thousand years". He commented, "But to me it seems very
evident that this reign shall begin with some miraculous appearance of our
Lord in His glory. After which He shall go back to Heaven." Expanding on
his interpretation, he wrote, 'There is a first coming of Christ, and it
may be a first Resurrection. Lastly, who can be certain, that this coming
of Christ, to establish His kingdom upon Earth, shall not be in that
manner, with the voice of an Arch-angel, and in great magnificence and
Glory? Who can prove, that at that first coming of Christ He shall not
raise some of the deat, as St. John seems expressly to have fore-told?"

Writing directly about the coming Rapture he compared it to the
resurrection of the Old Testament saints when Christ rose from the grave.
He asked, Why may not Christ raise some of the New Testament Saints, at the
coming of His Kingdom, as well as raise some of the ancient partriarchs,
when He arose from the grave?" Jurieu rejected the view that Christ will
stay in heaven until the final judgment of the world. He suggested that
Christ will first "come down from heaven" in the air in "a glorious
apparition, returning to heaven". While these comments are not conclusive,
they do suggest that the idea of Christ coming in the air for His saints
prior to Armageddon was under discussion over 300 years ago.

Other authors on the PreTrib postion before Darby ever wrote his book:
Commentary on NT -Phillip Dodgers 1738'
Commentary on NT Dr John Gills 1748, 1763
Sir Issac Newton
Ker you just spew out garbage!

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
The Church is in the sad shape it is in today because those of us who do know the truth have not stood in place and fought the ever strengthening current of false teaching. We have allowed into our midst many of the ravenous wolves the Lord Jesus warned us about—those very ones who are bringing in the “damnable heresies” that are causing a shipwreck of faith in young believers, and are sending multitudes of lost souls straight to hell.

There are false teachers, false prophets, and false doctrines galore in our churches; indeed they are flourishing in every area of our culture. Many of these people call themselves “Christians” but they do not adhere to the doctrines of genuine Christianity as defined by the Bible. They are perpetuating a false gospel and promoting a false Jesus. And it is we who are genuine Christians, who are to blame for the proliferation of them.

We have allowed these heretics and hirelings to flourish by not “earnestly contending for the faith” (Jude 3) as we have been admonished in Scripture to do. As a result of our carelessness and apathy, young or immature believers in the faith are being ensnared by unsound teaching.

They are not growing stronger in the Lord nor are they growing more deeply grounded in the Word. Even worse, those who are lost are being led straight to hell by hirelings who are nothing more than false shepherds.

Untold numbers of lost souls are being deceived by these pied pipers of the pulpit; many of whom are themselves lost and on their way to hell. These are they who Jesus referred to as being like “the blind leading the blind.”

We need to have the courage of our convictions, and according to the inerrant Word of God, raise our voices and proclaim, “NO MORE.”

blessedhope

Aug 9, 2015
accept Enoch just because it is not in our Bible today.

Which of these Bibles would Jesus have been most likely to accept? Jesus had ties to the Essene community who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls; therefore he would have been most likely to choose the Essene canon, thereby including Enoch and Jubilees in the Bible. There is no reason to think he would accept the Catholic/Greek Old Testament, because Jesus was not a Greek Jew, and he never made any statements suggesting he favored Greek Judaism over Palestinian Judaism. Neither would he have accepted the Protestant Old Testament, because it is based on the Council of Jamnia, which was a council of Pharisees.

Besides this, the early Christians supported the canonization of Enoch despite Jewish rejection of it. Early 3rd century Christian writer Tertullian commented on the Jews rejection of Enoch as follows,

Since Enoch, in the same Scripture, also taught about the Lord, then it should not be rejected by us… but it appears that the Jews rejected it specifically for that reason, just like they do almost every other part that foretells Christ.[