The book of Job - real or allegorical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Read the book of Job at least, and then get back with me.
see the repetition of "7 sons" and "3 daughters" in Scripture, or understand why Job confessed to sin, and get back to me. C'mon S. Fwiw if someone asked me to teach Job, i would decline, i still have things to learn from Job ok.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Now I want to read the Jewish version!
Job is like the oldest Book in the Torah, but i gotta tell you, imo the Christian version is the most refined. The Jewish Job story is highly embellished, he has two wives, lots of other...anti-Scripture? or whatever, in it, the central point--like in most Jewish stories, i guess--is completely gone (at least to a Christian ear, or at least mine), etc. Not that the Christian version is understood by ppl either lol.

How would you characterize Job's confession to God? What was Job repenting of, do you think?

Reactions: Pisteuo

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
see the repetition of "7 sons" and "3 daughters" in Scripture, or understand why Job confessed to sin, and get back to me. C'mon S. Fwiw if someone asked me to teach Job, i would decline, i still have things to learn from Job ok.

What does Fwiw mean?

I don't know which book of Job you are addressing. The one in the Bible or some other one you spoke of. If you had wanted to, you could have read the whole book by now and probably been able to answer most of your questions. So, why didn't you? Read it and let me know.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What does Fwiw mean?
ah, sorry--For What It's Worth
I don't know which book of Job you are addressing.
well, i have already quoted chapter 42, where Job repents once, so that is on you.
But you don't have to address Job's fallen state if you don't wanna; i know it creates like a CogDis thing, compared to the Opening...but i gotta ask, if you have read it, why not just answer the Q?

6Therefore I take back my words and repent in dust and ashes. 
(6Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.)
7After the LORD had finished speakingi to Job, He said to Eliphaz the Temanite: “I am angry with you and your two friends, for you have not spoken the truth about Me, as My servant Job has.

makes no sense to me. If Job spoke truth, why retract, or take back, or abhor himself, however you might translate this? etc notice that "my words" is added for context, and may not be accurate. Job retracted...something, though; even though repenting "in dust and ashes" also seems off, considering the rest of Scripture.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

well, i have already quoted chapter 42, where Job repents once, so that is on you.
But you don't have to address Job's fallen state if you don't wanna; i know it creates like a CogDis thing, compared to the Opening...but i gotta ask, if you have read it, why not just answer the Q?

7After the LORD had finished speakingi to Job, He said to Eliphaz the Temanite: “I am angry with you and your two friends, for you have not spoken the truth about Me, as My servant Job has.

makes no sense to me. If Job spoke truth, why retract, or take back, or abhor himself, however you might translate this? etc notice that "my words" is added for context, and may not be accurate. Job retracted...something, though; even though repenting "in dust and ashes" also seems off, considering the rest of Scripture.

Listen. You say it makes no sense to you, yet you haven't read the book. Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me. So, you can have it read by tomorrow. You can do it. Get back with me after you have read the book.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

4I am so insignificant. How can I answer You?  I place my hand over my mouth.
5I have spoken once, and I will not reply; twice, but now I can add nothing. 
6Then the LORD answered Job from the whirlwind: 
7Get ready to answer Me like a man; When I question you, you will inform Me.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Listen. You say it makes no sense to you, yet you haven't read the book. Does that make sense to you? It doesn't to me. So, you can have it read by tomorrow. You can do it. Get back with me after you have read the book.

Stranger
hmm, i have a feeling that that would not resolve our impasse here alla sudden lol not sure why

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Stranger
ha whoa, check out how those blend

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
but i gotta ask, if you have read it, why not just answer the Q?
Thats what stranger does often he avoids you question the difficult one which seems like of them. Then accuses you of not answering his whist all the time he avoids aswering your. and at some point you stick him on the ignore list. totally pointless speaking with him in a one way conversation as you are now coming to realise.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm, i have a feeling that that would not resolve our impasse here alla sudden lol not sure why

Read the book. Why would you not want to do that? Read it and let me know. You won't lie to me will you?

Stranger

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember, if you're called out, just double down - it's the new orange....

Last edited:

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something to listen to while you're waiting for answers.

It's only 1:49:00 long.