The book we call John

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 12:12 On the next day much people that were come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem,
Jhn 12:13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.

and then there is this though:
Jhn 12:17 The people therefore that was with him when he called Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record.

Question would be, did Lazarus bare record of himself?

I dunno..
still looking :)
HUGS

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
Jhn 12:2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.

which supper are we talking about?
HUGS
I think this was a private supper with Jesus as honored guest but I don't quite remember. Let me look and see.

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
Jhn 12:2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.

which supper are we talking about?
HUGS
It's interesting, the several accounts. It looks like there were two dinners. One was at Simons house, a bad man, who appears more convincingly now to me to be also the father of "Judas (Iscariot) son of Simon," who betrayed Jesus.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Passover is a seven day (8 days for Jews not in Israel) Jewish holiday that commemorates the liberation of the Jewish people from slavery in Egypt.

I don't know the Holy Days. Apparently Passover is 7 days or 8 if your not in Jerusalem.
And the first and the seventh are most important.
The first and last day (or two days in some countries outside Israel), are particularly important. People recite special blessings or prayers, make a particular effort to visit a synagogue or listen to readings from the Torah and eat a ceremonial meal.

I think Jesus was crucified on the last day of Passover.
So the supper with Lazarus would have been the first.

The first and the last, alpha and omega, forever and ever
AMEN
HUGS

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember something in Luke's account referring in perfect past tense to Lazarus just a little later in the story than when he was raised from 4 days burial. There was something curious there. Let me go look.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judas Iscariot and Simon the Caananite...
Interesting including them in the 12.
10 are Israelites.. and 2 are Gentiles..
Iscariot = "men of Kerioth"
So when Joshua and company come into the promised land, thay are alloted inheritances.
Judah gets Kerioth as either one of the cities or towns inhabited by the gentiles ie: Kerioth.
So even though Judas and Simon dwell in the cities of Judah, I believe they are the tares mixed with the wheat.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See what they did here?
They keep changing names.. drives me crazy, all the Mary's and the John's and now Simons..sheesh

Simon Bar Jonah son of Jonas = Peter
Simon the Canaanite is now Simon the Zelotes or Zelous, Jealousy..

Then you have another that is this but called that.. I mean c'mon..

Luk 6:14 Simon, (whom he also named Peter,) and Andrew his brother, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew,
Luk 6:15 Matthew and Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called Zelotes,
Luk 6:16 And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor.

Mat 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
Mat 10:3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;
Mat 10:4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

Hard to keep them straight at all.

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Polite is the root for politic. Courtesy, yes, I prize. Respect, first show me an honorable service because I won't respect a mere person. If I ever dis-respect you it's because I detected disrespect. I will often nevertheless apologize out of respect to the Lord.
Sorry. I think this is my old man I'm trying to lose. It's just that Jesus is "not a respecter of persons." I guess I'm hung up on that.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 10:2 Lazarus was not an apostle a John the brother of James son of zebedee was Matt 10:2
Gospels constantly refer to Peter James and John not Lazarus

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostle: a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders

Jhn 11:11These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Jhn 15:14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Jhn 15:16Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

How many of the 12 Apostles bare record of themselves?

I see Lazarus was included as a friend. I would think that os much more than a disciple..

Jhn 21:20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
Jhn 21:21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
Jhn 21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

The 12 Apostles had been sent on the great commision.. to go to the lost sheep.
Except this disciple was to tarry...

just saying