The case for a Just War

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No we have not (Luke 22:36) ... that is for the FINAL kingdom when all enemies are cast into the lake of fire and Jesus rules in complete peace.

As you can see sir, you are not we. We have. That is not to say that we don't own guns, many of us do, but when I rarely shoot mine, it is usually done at a gun range.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(2 Samuel 6:3) . . .However, they placed the Ark of the true God on a new wagon to transport it from the house of A·binʹa·dab. . .

Yes sir, they had carts, but China has tea as well, so what is your point, are you able to give a Biblical example of any Christian participating in any carnal war? No! Why not? Because Christians do not participate in carnal warfare, our weapons are not fleshly, rather we are in a spiritual war, overturning strongly entrenched things. That is what the Bible really teaches AT.
Not a CHRISTIAN ... they also WAGED WAR in the OT.
So CHRISTIANS may either "wage war" and "drive carts/cars" or CHRISTIANS may neither "wage war" nor "drive carts/cars" based on the evidence in the BIBLE.

OT: Stories of Jews waging war and driving carts
NT: No stories of Christians waging war or driving carts.

THIS is the argument that YOU are using for Christians NEVER participating in national wars.
I wonder how many more things Christians are never recorded doing in the NT?
Christians don't ...
  • Ride Horses?
  • Fly Flags?
  • Play musical instruments?
  • Dance?
  • Eat Pork or Lobster or Shrimp?
  • Hold mid-week services?
  • Borrow money?
  • Loan money?
  • Wear boots?
  • Eat fried Chicken?
That was the point of the question on Christians driving carts.
Shall we really do NOTHING that is not recorded in the NT?
Good luck with that.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you can see sir, you are not we. We have. That is not to say that we don't own guns, many of us do, but when I rarely shoot mine, it is usually done at a gun range.
Then YOU have not BEATEN YOUR SWORD INTO A PLOW, have you?
Your correction of me rings untrue.

(and the irony is that I did trade my guns for the cross in 1979 when God called me out of my old life and into HIS service ... only when the 2020 'BLM' riots made "home defense" a real need for protecting my family did I hammer my plow back into a sword.)

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a CHRISTIAN ... they also WAGED WAR in the OT.
So CHRISTIANS may either "wage war" and "drive carts/cars" or CHRISTIANS may neither "wage war" nor "drive carts/cars" based on the evidence in the BIBLE.

OT: Stories of Jews waging war and driving carts
NT: No stories of Christians waging war or driving carts.

THIS is the argument that YOU are using for Christians NEVER participating in national wars.
I wonder how many more things Christians are never recorded doing in the NT?
Christians don't ...
  • Ride Horses?
  • Fly Flags?
  • Play musical instruments?
  • Dance?
  • Eat Pork or Lobster or Shrimp?
  • Hold mid-week services?
  • Borrow money?
  • Loan money?
  • Wear boots?
  • Eat fried Chicken?
That was the point of the question on Christians driving carts.
Shall we really do NOTHING that is not recorded in the NT?
Good luck with that.

One thing is for certain AT, you definitely cannot have war without soldiers. More power to you sir.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then YOU have not BEATEN YOUR SWORD INTO A PLOW, have you?
Your correction of me rings untrue.

(and the irony is that I did trade my guns for the cross in 1979 when God called me out of my old life and into HIS service ... only when the 2020 'BLM' riots made "home defense" a real need for protecting my family did I hammer my plow back into a sword.)

It was symbolic, not literal. We still have weapons, as the Bible states at Eph 6:13-17 and even those are symbolic as well. The sword Jesus told his followers to get was to be literal, and yes even it was symbolic, bringing home the point that they would not have to provide for themselves as before.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was symbolic, not literal. We still have weapons, as the Bible states at Eph 6:13-17 and even those are symbolic as well. The sword Jesus told his followers to get was to be literal, and yes even it was symbolic, bringing home the point that they would not have to provide for themselves as before.
:rolleyes:

Nyet.

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A just war is a war which is declared for right and noble reasons and fought in a certain way. A just war is not a war that is ‘good’ as such – it is a war that Christians feel to be necessary or 'just' in the circumstances, when all other solutions have been tried and have failed. It is a necessary evil and a last resort.

The war must have a just cause - eg against invasion, or for self-defence - and not to acquire wealth or power. The war must be declared and controlled by a proper authority, eg the state or ruler. The war must be fought to promote good or avoid evil, with the aim of restoring peace and justice after the war is over.

Reactions: atpollard

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a couple of obvious fallacies in your position that should be addressed.

First of all, a Christian defending their family or home against intruders isn't the same as going to war against another country on behalf of a human government's interest. The Law says a burglar who breaks intoa person's home is taking their own life into their hands because the resident won't be held accountable for whatever harm befalls the burglar.

Secondly, the "Christian" nations that went to war against Muslim invaders were led by Romanist dictators. It is easily provable with the Bible and secular history that those "Christian" nations unjustifiably jailed true Christians, slandered them, tortured them, murdered them, and even destroyed their property if they weren't already forced into living outside a civilized area. They were nothing more than the Chinese Communist Party of the Middle Ages. Maybe i'm wrong for saying this, but i have very little sympathy for tyrants who spread false religion through violence when they end up getting a taste of their own bitter medicine.