The Catholic Church gets put down a lot, but it was all that could help

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
These words appeared in the Roman Canon Law: "To believe that our Lord God the Pope has not the power to decree as he is decreed, is to be deemed heretical.-I?ithe Gloss "Extravagantes" o.f Pope John XXII Cum inter, Tit. XIV, Cap. IV. Ad Callem Sexti Decretalium, Paris, 1685
This is bogus. Geoff Horton investigated many of these claims and found them all to be false.

In this case:
1) the quote does not appear in the original of the Extravagantes.
2) it appeared in a printed edition 300 years later as a gloss (commentary) not part of the text itself.
3) even if it were to have been in the original it would have no force of (canon) law, Canon Law is not doctrinal.

So we have a comment by an unknown person, added 300 years later, and of no validity even if in the original.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
"All the names which are attributed to Christ in Scripture, implying His supremacy over the church, are also attributed to the Pope." Bellamin, "On the Authority of Councils," book 2, Chapter 17.
Who is this Bellamin and what does it matter what he said?
Your claim was that the Pope claims these things not someone else.

Christ called Himself the means by which heaven and earth are bridged (John 1:51 KJV) and pope Benny is referred to as "Pontifix Maximus", the "Supreme Bridgebuilder".

Whatever the etymology of Pontifex Maximus, it came to mean the chief priest of the college of priests of the old Roman system and later became a title of the Emperor. It had no longer any reference to building bridges.
When Emperor Gratian made Christianity the State religion in 382, as he was not a priest, he renounced the title and bestowed it on Pope Damasus.
It is not an official title of the Pope.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
heretoeternity said:
How would you know? You should try learning Jesus words in the Gospels and follow them, then you will know the truth and it will make you free..John 8.32
Oops...You (accidently?) left off the beginning of that statement, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples". AND He said to his Apostles, "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me". That means if we don't listen to the ones he sent (men) to preach the truth in His name then we reject Him also. Jesus told us that we should listen to the words of MEN (inspired by the Holy Spirit) also; not just His words. Jesus wasn't at the Council of Jerusalem to make a binding decision on ALL Christians. Men, guided by the Holy Spirit, made that decision...not Jesus.

You do not believe there are leaders (men) of His Church that we have to listen too. Men who make doctrine, dogma or rules for us to follow. It appears you are not holding to His teaching by following the doctrine of these men He has chosen. It appears to me you are violating scripture and rejecting His words by rejecting those that He sent.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Oops...You (accidently?) left off the beginning of that statement, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples". AND He said to his Apostles, "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me". That means if we don't listen to the ones he sent (men) to preach the truth in His name then we reject Him also. Jesus told us that we should listen to the words of MEN (inspired by the Holy Spirit) also; not just His words. Jesus wasn't at the Council of Jerusalem to make a binding decision on ALL Christians. Men, guided by the Holy Spirit, made that decision...not Jesus.

You do not believe there are leaders (men) of His Church that we have to listen too. Men who make doctrine, dogma or rules for us to follow. It appears you are not holding to His teaching by following the doctrine of these men He has chosen. It appears to me you are violating scripture and rejecting His words by rejecting those that He sent.

Those He sent? You mean those satan sent?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
This is bogus. Geoff Horton investigated many of these claims and found them all to be false.

In this case:
1) the quote does not appear in the original of the Extravagantes.
2) it appeared in a printed edition 300 years later as a gloss (commentary) not part of the text itself.
3) even if it were to have been in the original it would have no force of (canon) law, Canon Law is not doctrinal.

So we have a comment by an unknown person, added 300 years later, and of no validity even if in the original.
If your apologists are telling the truth, then where are all the defamation lawsuits for all these "false" accusations? You and Mr. Horton do know that it is a crime to defame any person or organization based on unfounded claims, right? Why would the RCC pass up an opportunity to collect much needed damage awards to alleviate the financial burden that all those pedophile priest hush-money payouts have caused?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
Who is this Bellamin and what does it matter what he said?
Your claim was that the Pope claims these things not someone else.

Whatever the etymology of Pontifex Maximus, it came to mean the chief priest of the college of priests of the old Roman system and later became a title of the Emperor. It had no longer any reference to building bridges.
When Emperor Gratian made Christianity the State religion in 382, as he was not a priest, he renounced the title and bestowed it on Pope Damasus.
It is not an official title of the Pope.
Really? You don't know the title comes directly from the PAGAN emperors who claimed to be "god" themselves and the "bridge" between god and men? And why would Christian men take to themselves such blasphemous titles, instead of distancing themselves from them? Nothing will convince you.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
heretoeternity said:
Those He sent? You mean those satan sent?
Satan is a very deceptive being. How do you know you are not following those who Satan sent? Can you be sure?

Maybe Satan is trying to destroy the Catholic Church because it is The Church that Jesus started? Maybe Satan is using people like you and other anti-Catholics to accomplish his goal?

Deep, pondering and difficult to answer questions :popcorn:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
If your apologists are telling the truth, then where are all the defamation lawsuits for all these "false" accusations? You and Mr. Horton do know that it is a crime to defame any person or organization based on unfounded claims, right? Why would the RCC pass up an opportunity to collect much needed damage awards to alleviate the financial burden that all those pedophile priest hush-money payouts have caused?
Bogus answer. An attempted diversion to try and hide the fact that you made a false claim.... and that you didn't bother to check it out.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
Really? You don't know the title comes directly from the PAGAN emperors who claimed to be "god" themselves and the "bridge" between god and men? And why would Christian men take to themselves such blasphemous titles, instead of distancing themselves from them? Nothing will convince you.
The title was bestowed on the Pope by a Christian Emperor. The Pope did not take it to himself.

It would have been very discourteous and possibly dangerous to refuse.

As I pointed out it is not an official title of the Pope. At one time all bishops were called Pontifex Maximus because (I presume) they are the chief priest on their diocese.

Being the chief priest of a diocese, or even of the whole Catholic Church, is not blasphemous.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
Bogus answer. An attempted diversion to try and hide the fact that you made a false claim.... and that you didn't bother to check it out.
Sorry, but the Catholic church is so steeped in scandal, cover-up, and fraud that its credibility has dropped to zero. The fact that you're trusting the word of men who come to the defense of such a despicable organization speaks volumes, friend.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
The title was bestowed on the Pope by a Christian Emperor. The Pope did not take it to himself.

It would have been very discourteous and possibly dangerous to refuse.

As I pointed out it is not an official title of the Pope. At one time all bishops were called Pontifex Maximus because (I presume) they are the chief priest on their diocese.

Being the chief priest of a diocese, or even of the whole Catholic Church, is not blasphemous.
Discourteous? Dangerous? You mean like when Daniel refused to obey King Darius' 30-day prayer prohibition? Or, when Hananiah, Azariah, and Mishael refused to bow to Nebuchadnezzer's image? Real men of God don't compromise with Satan, as have the popes throughout the ages. That's why the Bible identifies the Papacy as "Antichrist".

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
Discourteous? Dangerous? You mean like when Daniel refused to obey King Darius' 30-day prayer prohibition? Or, when Hananiah, Azariah, and Mishael refused to bow to Nebuchadnezzer's image? Real men of God don't compromise with Satan, as have the popes throughout the ages. That's why the Bible identifies the Papacy as "Antichrist".
The time to stand up to a king or Emperor is when there is something serious is at stake, not over trivialities.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
That's why the Bible identifies the Papacy as "Antichrist".
The Bible does not identify the Papacy as the "Antichrist"

"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." Ex 20:16

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
Real men of God don't compromise with Satan, as have the popes throughout the ages.
The Popes don't compromised with Satan.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Phoneman777 said:
Sorry, but the Catholic church is so steeped in scandal, cover-up, and fraud that its credibility has dropped to zero. The fact that you're trusting the word of men who come to the defense of such a despicable organization speaks volumes, friend.
Another attempt to deflect from the fact that you made false accusations about the Catholic Church.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Another attempt to deflect from the fact that you made false accusations about the Catholic Church.

Second commandment Make no graven images (statues)or bow down to them Exodus 20.4
Fourth commandment: Remember the sabbath day to keep it Holy Exodus 20.8

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
heretoeternity said:
Second commandment Make no graven images (statues)or bow down to them Exodus 20.4
Fourth commandment: Remember the sabbath day to keep it Holy Exodus 20.8

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:

False accusations? By what proof? Catholic apologists who themselves may very well have engaged in child rape? Please, as I said the credibility of the Catholic church is ZERO and I suggest you view the movie "Spotlight".

What can you say about a system that, after almost two decades of Cardinal Law personally presiding over a genuine rape culture in his Boston Archdiocese where pedophile priests who were supposed to be the most trusted authoritative figures in the community were enabled, protected, and preserved by Cardinal Law Himself, whisked Law away before he could face justice in the U.S. and was himself preserved and protected by the Vatican, where Law has been REWARDED for his crimes against our most vulnerable of society?

And you expect Protestants to revere and accept your "debunk authorities", men who likely were either raped by priests or raped children themselves? Any person who presumes to defend the RCC based on the testimony of those connected to the RCC is either suffering from an extreme case of Stockholm Syndrome or is just clinically insane.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
The Popes don't compromised with Satan.

The Popes approve of the statement "Oh happy fault which merited so and such a great Redeemer!".

Which of the following do you think viewed Adam and Eve's sin as "happy" or "blessed" - the Father in heaven Who knew the unspeakable suffering that would come upon His only begotten Son because of it, or Satan who exulted in Christ's cruel passion and death? Yes, your Popes prefer to compromise with Satan on this issue.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mungo said:

You can't reason with hate and bigotry. I have phoneman, and many others, on ignore for constantly posting slanderous unproven lies. I wonder what would happen if similar lies were posted against any other church.

Phoneman takes one small phrase out of context. It's a Lenten meditation written by a theologian.

Why, then, does the Church through her liturgy dare to speak of the Fall as a “happy fault” or a “necessary sin?”
You see, had our first parents not fallen by sin, they would have remained in a state of supernatural grace. Eventually they would have been taken into heaven, and would have shared in the vision of God. For unfallen persons, that would be the deepest possible union between God and human beings.
Now again, why does the Church lead us to rejoice in the Fall of the human race? The reason is that through the redemption of Jesus Christ we have been restored to the supernatural state in a way far surpassing in glory what we could have known had there been no Fall. more here
Is this what phoneman hates, or the Easter liturgy that says the same thing??? Mr. Phoneman, it's called Christianity.

Phoneman will continue to meet his sick sadistic needs by persecuting Catholics with lies.

Some anti-Catholics claim the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon of Revelation 17 and 18. Dave Hunt, in his 1994 book, A Woman Rides the Beast, presents nine arguments to try to prove this. His claims are a useful summary of those commonly used by Fundamentalists, and an examination of them shows why they don’t work.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/hunting-the-whore-of-babylon

Status
Not open for further replies.