The Chosen - Godly Truth or Dangerous Fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“There are more problems with The Chosen than the bad theology involved and the Mormon influence on the show. …”

I’ve only watched part of one episode, and found it to be wildly inaccurate. That’s hardly a fair hearing.

Programming like this is a pet peeve of mine. (There’s my bias.) I’ve met too many people who get their theology from television and movies rather than from the Bible.

The Chosen is a fictional account, a dramatization, of the biblical Jesus story. The writers take certain creative liberties to provide entertainment for their audience.

I‘m aware that many people love this program. Several whom I’ve spoken with acknowledge the inaccuracies and don’t allow it, they say, to influence their theology.

But what about those who love the program and aren’t aware that it is inaccurate? What is it doing to their theology?

Is it harmless or is it dangerous? Let me know what you think.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
False Alternative. It is not inaccurate on what matters.

I don’t know if you’ve read the comments in the article linked in the OP or not, but it is said there that one of the persons connected with the program has acknowledged that “95% of The Chosen is not from the Bible.” If that is correct, and I haven’t attempted to verify whether it is or not, then viewers of the program aren’t getting much Bible content.

You didn’t say how often you watch the program but it sounds like you may be a regular consumer of the product. Certainly you’ve watched it far more than I have or will.

Does the program contain a warning to viewers?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don’t know what the religious beliefs of the author of the article linked in the OP are. Whatever they are, they aren’t compatible with the presentation of Jesus in The Chosen.

In attempting to track down the quote by Jenkins which I mentioned in post #3, I read a trinitarian critique of The Chosen. It doesn’t contain the 95% figure but it does provide several statements made by Jenkins that the trinitarian reviewer calls ”reassuring”.

However, the reviewer concludes -

“As can be seen, The Chosen can be charged with breaking the Second Commandment, removing Scripture as the all-sufficient guide for Christian faith and practice, and ignoring multiple texts concerning the addition and deletion of texts of Scripture. Were the series to be charged with violating any one of these three issues, it would be damnable. However, with all three in mind, the conclusion must be drawn that Christians taking Scripture for what it says must refrain from watching ‘The Chosen,’ or, for that matter, making use of any other ‘books for the laity.’ Scripture, and Scripture alone, is the sufficient, authoritative, inerrant, infallible, complete Word of God. Making an image of any member of the Trinity, for any reason whatsoever, turns the created order on its head and makes God our creation rather than us being God’s creation. We become the ones who control God rather than being controlled by God’s providential care and His perfect word. May we be Christians who follow 2 Timothy 3:16-17 and worship God in ways Je has laid out for us. We are His creation, not vice-versa.”

I don’t agree with everything he says, and it is only the commentary of a single trinitarian, but it may be useful to some who are unsure about the program.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
More quotes in this piece made by Jenkins and others connected with the program, but still nothing to confirm the 95% figure. It’s a quick read. Readers might want to consider the fourteen reasons the author gives explaining why he won’t watch The Chosen.

Reactions: Brakelite

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
This trinitarian source takes what I personally consider to be a more reasonable approach to the question of whether or not people should watch The Chosen. In general, it gives the program a positive review.

“As long as viewers remember that what they are seeing is art and not real life - and they compare what they view with Scripture - there is no danger of confusion. We all know intuitively that, for all it’s historical accuracy and attention to cultural context, The Chosen is simply one idea from one group of people about what they think it might have been like to be near Jesus. …

… watching The Chosen is a matter of conscience. Some Christians will appreciate the retelling of Jesus’ life. Others will have difficulty with the artistic license involved with telling Jesus’ life on film. Still others will find a myriad of other reasons not to watch the show ... Each person is to carefully discern whether watching the show will be a benefit or a hindrance to his/her walk with the Lord: ‘Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind’ (Romans 14:5).”

How many people will compare what they view with Scripture? As the author of the article implies, there is danger of confusion for those who don’t.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there that one of the persons connected with the program has acknowledged that “95% of The Chosen is not from the Bible.”
Correct. Most of the show is tangential to Biblical events. A fictional - but feasible - back story BETWEEN verses.

For instance, remember in Luke 4 where Jesus reads from Isaiah 61 and says it been fulfilled in their hearing? In S3E3 before he says this Jesus plays catch with his good childhood friends Lazarus, Martha and Mary.

Sure, the episode’s 5% is tangential to Luke 4 but most of it is a fictional - but feasible - back story. How Jesus says hello to his mother when he returns to Nazareth, what he says to her about sending the disciples on missionary work, what personal item from Joseph he came to get, the prophetic insight he only shared with his mother - and what it meant.

The power of the show is the emotional intensity of those involved in and around the Biblical narrative. For instance, the high priest who felt obligated to throw Jesus from the cliff. He was Jesus childhood teacher and loved Joseph, Mary and Jesus.

The compassion of the actor who portrays Jesus is awe inspiring. I give my strongest recommendation to watch The Chosen.

Reactions: face2face

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Correct. Most of the show is tangential to Biblical events. A fictional - but feasible - back story BETWEEN verses.

For instance, remember in Luke 4 where Jesus reads from Isaiah 61 and says it been fulfilled in their hearing? In S3E3 before he says this Jesus plays catch with his good childhood friends Lazarus, Martha and Mary.

Sure, the episode’s 5% is tangential to Luke 4 but most of it is a fictional - but feasible - back story. How Jesus says hello to his mother when he returns to Nazareth, what he says to her about sending the disciples on missionary work, what personal item from Joseph he came to get, the prophetic insight he only shared with his mother - and what it meant.

The power of the show is the emotional intensity of those involved in and around the Biblical narrative. For instance, the high priest who felt obligated to throw Jesus from the cliff. He was Jesus childhood teacher and loved Joseph, Mary and Jesus.

The compassion of the actor who portrays Jesus is awe inspiring. I give my strongest recommendation to watch The Chosen.

Thanks.

Personally I’m not down with a 95% fictional presentation of what might have happened. Putting words on the lips of Jesus which aren’t found in scripture is skating on very thin ice, at best.

I don’t know. Maybe viewers really are sitting down with their Bibles after viewing an episode and sifting the 95% chaff out. I hope so but I have my doubts.

I hope you won’t be offended when I say that I appreciate but personally reject your recommendation.

What would I recommend about watching The Chosen if someone asked? I would urge caution and take the balanced approach put forward in post #6.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Putting words on the lips of Jesus which aren’t found in scripture is skating on very thin ice, at best.
If that is your standard, by all means, avoid watching the most popular multi-season show about Jesus of all time.

IMO, your standard is most. No biography only includes confirmed words of the subject.

As I said, it is entertainment. And it points to Jesus.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
If that is your standard, by all means, avoid watching the most popular multi-season show about Jesus of all time.

As I said, it is entertainment. And it points to Jesus.

I remember what you said. I’m sure you’ll also remember what I said: truth > entertainment.

I’m personally not interested in entertainment that points to a fictional characterization of Jesus.

Reactions: Brakelite

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I was thinking about how my congregation would have responded if I had preached a fictional Jesus (even with the good intention of encouraging them to read the Bible.) I’ve spoken with other pastors and, though the sample size is small, they weren’t keen on the idea either.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Along the lines of a fictionalized account of Jesus, does anyone remember Jesus Christ Superstar?

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Indifferent about it?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Thinking of some other movies which take artistic liberties with Jesus, two spring to mind:

1. The Last Temptation of Christ; and
2. The Shack

Did they go too far? They went too far for me, but that shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Popularity is the standard?

Countless sermons have been given on that notion.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
How about feelings is the standard? That’s popular in a growing segment of society these days.

Whatever happened to truth is the standard?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember what you said. I’m sure you’ll also remember what I said: truth > entertainment.

I’m personally not interested in entertainment that points to a fictional characterization of Jesus.
Then don’t watch it!

The Chosen is entertainment that has brought the Gospel to millions and many to the real Jesus. Don’t be an obstacle of how others bring people to Christ.

Woe to you, you teachers of the law and Pharisees. There is such a gulf between what you say and what you do. You will stand before a crowd and lock the door of the kingdom of heaven right in front of everyone; you won’t enter the Kingdom yourselves, and you prevent others from doing so. Matthew 23:13 (VOICE)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
One more for the readers’ consideration: the end justifies the means?