The Chosen - Godly Truth or Dangerous Fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Then don’t watch it!

Relax. I’ve already told you that I won’t be watching it.

The Chosen is entertainment that has brought the Gospel to millions and many to the real Jesus. Don’t be an obstacle of how others bring people to Christ.

Woe to you, you teachers of the law and Pharisees. There is such a gulf between what you say and what you do. You will stand before a crowd and lock the door of the kingdom of heaven right in front of everyone; you won’t enter the Kingdom yourselves, and you prevent others from doing so. Matthew 23:13 (VOICE)

I’ve shared my thoughts on entertainment and truth. I’ve also said that it’s a matter conscience and I don’t recommend what you recommend in regard to this matter.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
One more for the readers’ consideration: the end justifies the means?

”-> used to say that a desired result is so good or important that any method, even a morally bad one, may be used to achieve it”

I couldn’t with a good and clear conscience do that.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Right!! Stay in your lane. Do what God calls you to do.

I am. You seem to be irritated by that.

Stop undermining what God calls other people to do.

If someone believes that God has called them to present a fictionalized Jesus for entertainment, those persons will answer to God and Jesus for what they have done, not me.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed … you put up with it well enough!”

(2 Corinthians 11:4, NET)

The ”one we proclaimed“ isn’t a fictionalized Jesus, for entertainment or any other purpose.

Is a Jesus fictionalized for entertainment “another Jesus”?

Is a Jesus fictionalized for entertainment a counterfeit Jesus?

Fans of The Chosen (and / or fans of other fictionalized portrayals of Jesus) surely would say that a fictionalized Jesus isn’t another Jesus / isn’t a counterfeit. But those same fans then turn around and point people to the Bible, and rightly so, to learn about the non-fictionalized Jesus - “the one we proclaimed”.

That raises a red flag for me. It doesn’t for everyone.

”Do what God calls you to do” - that’s a powerful statement.

God hasn’t called me to proclaim a fictionalized Jesus to entertain people. God calls me to proclaim ”the one we proclaimed.”

If God calls others to proclaim a fictionalized Jesus then I reckon that’s what they should do.

And if what God calls me to do clashes with what God calls them to do?

I’ll leave that in God‘s hands.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I remember what you said. I’m sure you’ll also remember what I said: truth > entertainment.

I’m personally not interested in entertainment that points to a fictional characterization of Jesus.
But you are willing to watch other forms of entertainment, I'm sure...the soapbox can easily be removed.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If it doesn’t, it should.

WARNING

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.

THIS PROGRAM IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES.

TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS, VIEWERS SHOULD READ THE BIBLE.
Are you expecting a factual verse by verse account?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
But you are willing to watch other forms of entertainment, I'm sure...the soapbox can easily be removed.

Yes, I’m willing to watch other forms of entertainment. But none of them involve presenting a fictionalized Jesus for entertainment.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed … you put up with it well enough!”

(2 Corinthians 11:4, NET)

The ”one we proclaimed“ isn’t a fictionalized Jesus, for entertainment or any other purpose.

Is a Jesus fictionalized for entertainment “another Jesus”?

Is a Jesus fictionalized for entertainment a counterfeit Jesus?

Fans of The Chosen (and / or fans of other fictionalized portrayals of Jesus) surely would say that a fictionalized Jesus isn’t another Jesus / isn’t a counterfeit. But those same fans then turn around and point people to the Bible, and rightly so, to learn about the non-fictionalized Jesus - “the one we proclaimed”.

That raises a red flag for me. It doesn’t for everyone.

”Do what God calls you to do” - that’s a powerful statement.

God hasn’t called me to proclaim a fictionalized Jesus to entertain people. God calls me to proclaim ”the one we proclaimed.”

If God calls others to proclaim a fictionalized Jesus then I reckon that’s what they should do.

And if what God calls me to do clashes with what God calls them to do?

I’ll leave that in God‘s hands.
Have you watch any of them Matthias?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, I’m willing to watch other forms of entertainment. But none of them involve presenting a fictionalized Jesus for entertainment.
In part I understand where you are coming from...to this day I have never watched "The Passion of the Christ" for many valid reasons, most of which are rather personal.

However, the chosen though creative in parts has applied some very good connections and portrayed events which get you thinking! That in itself cannot be wholly deemed unworthy.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I mentioned in the OP that I’ve only watched a portion of one episode.
Watch the calling of Peter - I'd value your insights...got me a little weepy! I'm a sucker for crying in movies but this was good.
F2F

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
In part I understand where you are coming from...to this day I have never watched "The Passion of the Christ" for many valid reasons, most of which are rather personal.

However, the chosen though creative in parts has applied some very good connections and portrayed events which get you thinking! That in itself cannot be wholly deemed unworthy.

F2F

The figure attributed to Jenkins is 95% of The Chosen is not found in the Bible.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The figure attributed to Jenkins is 95% of The Chosen is not found in the Bible.
I doubt this is true as the characters and setting is accurate. I'm not saying they dont take license; they do, but its in very good taste.