The Christmas countdown

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Under 76 days to go til Christmas.

2Jlaq6XNvHd1_XU_6OBVkxTsYoxliitzfWQXPptw2zLaaTOk-6jLYwt7oJjxALSHRU3VO8HsPNCeet0AIWzjBzzIDGwpUeHxs96BPbSzwUg=w447-h329

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's nothing that money can buy...

I want coronavirus to go away...
I want grandkids.
I wanna go back to work and not catch coronavirus and kill my wife with it.
I want my arthritis to go away.
I want people to stop fighting over politics.

I want a revival around the world.

If someone can get me any of those things I would really be grateful.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There's nothing that money can buy...

I want coronavirus to go away...
I want grandkids.
I wanna go back to work and not catch coronavirus and kill my wife with it.
I want my arthritis to go away.
I want people to stop fighting over politics.

I want a revival around the world.

If someone can get me any of those things I would really be grateful.

I want revival around the world too, as it would make future on this earth brighter especially for young people like me. As for your arthritis, feel free to put in a prayer request in the prayer section, if you haven't yet already done so.

That's something else for me to pray about anyway.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh oh...
There's a major catastrophe in the making.

Because of the global pandemic there's a bit of a pinch of the type of chocolate I use every year for making truffles.

There's several formulations for making chocolate. Cocoa solids, sugar and Cocoa Butter and other thing all in various percentages to create the various formulations for chocolate bars...your chocolate chips use a different recipe than your chocolate bar. I use one that does a variety of things and has a very strong flavor... meaning that it flows well enough when melted to coat the truffles and not be a blob on top.

Ok... well I ordered one 5kg block (11 lbs) and the wrong type showed up. I've ordered from the same people every year for the past 5 years and not had a problem. This year is a problem.

So I went to looking at the chocolate section of NY to look. (In Brooklyn and I only looked online...I didn't go personally)
Everyone is out of most chocolate supplies that I can use.
I don't know what to do. They say that anything I order is a month out. (Meaning that it will be on a ship heading this way at some point in the future)
Now if you are a bakery supply warehouse that fills orders daily... and you are out of the highest selling chocolate...

Basically it's not a good thing.
Producing chocolate from beans isn't the problem at the moment...it's Europe, shipping, and American docks that are the hiccup here.

I don't have enough chocolate...I got maybe 5-6 lbs from last year (chocolate is good for two years) and the new block isn't usable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's something similar to what I make every year.
Best Sellers | John Kelly Chocolates
Phew! I'm glad you're not eating all that chocolate yourself!! Lol
I love chocolate, but I can't have much ...as in maybe a few little squares per 24hrs ...or it causes erratic heart beats. (Same with coffee ....can't have it unless it's decaf. )

Reactions: JohnDB

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did see a show a few years ago, someone was on the search for expensive chocolate, and paid something like $100 for a block of chocolate lol.
Oh man...we should've bought stock in chocolate before now. We'd be rich! lol :D

Reactions: JohnDB and Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Uh oh...
There's a major catastrophe in the making.

Because of the global pandemic there's a bit of a pinch of the type of chocolate I use every year for making truffles.

There's several formulations for making chocolate. Cocoa solids, sugar and Cocoa Butter and other thing all in various percentages to create the various formulations for chocolate bars...your chocolate chips use a different recipe than your chocolate bar. I use one that does a variety of things and has a very strong flavor... meaning that it flows well enough when melted to coat the truffles and not be a blob on top.

Ok... well I ordered one 5kg block (11 lbs) and the wrong type showed up. I've ordered from the same people every year for the past 5 years and not had a problem. This year is a problem.

So I went to looking at the chocolate section of NY to look. (In Brooklyn and I only looked online...I didn't go personally)
Everyone is out of most chocolate supplies that I can use.
I don't know what to do. They say that anything I order is a month out. (Meaning that it will be on a ship heading this way at some point in the future)
Now if you are a bakery supply warehouse that fills orders daily... and you are out of the highest selling chocolate...

Basically it's not a good thing.
Producing chocolate from beans isn't the problem at the moment...it's Europe, shipping, and American docks that are the hiccup here.

I don't have enough chocolate...I got maybe 5-6 lbs from last year (chocolate is good for two years) and the new block isn't usable.

What about trying Australia?

Reactions: TLHKAJ

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about trying Australia?
I don't think that it would get here in time.

A lot of chocolate is shipped on airplanes as well as refrigerated containers on ships...
Airplanes don't hold just passengers and their luggage...they haul cargo as well.

Can you catch a flight to America tomorrow?

I need 60-40-38 Callebaut...or N° 811 will do.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phew! I'm glad you're not eating all that chocolate yourself!! Lol
I love chocolate, but I can't have much ...as in maybe a few little squares per 24hrs ...or it causes erratic heart beats. (Same with coffee ....can't have it unless it's decaf. )

I make over 1,000 pieces of candy every year...that's in addition to the cookies and gingerbread houses. I'm a very busy guy in November and December. And I GIVE ALL away for Christmas....

Lots of people are looking for something normal this year... just to taste a memory can do a lot to cheer up people for the holidays.

And I'll do as I always do...adapt, overcome, and work around.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't think that it would get here in time.

A lot of chocolate is shipped on airplanes as well as refrigerated containers on ships...
Airplanes don't hold just passengers and their luggage...they haul cargo as well.

Can you catch a flight to America tomorrow?

I need 60-40-38 Callebaut...or N° 811 will do.

When do you need the chocolate by?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I need to have the first pieces of chocolate ready by US Thanksgiving day....so they can start to go out to be delivered by that following weekend.
And I will be delivering platters and boxes all throughout every weekend throughout December until Christmas.

So...I like to have everything ready to put together by the second week of November.
(Orange peels and other centers made and frozen) flours and sugars and molasses and spices and other cookie ingredients all gotta be good to go by then too.

Cookies and candies when made from scratch don't have preservatives so they are made and then delivered as fast as possible.
Kahlua/coffee centers can be frozen just fine before enrobing them in chocolate and then they will usually last a week before they start to leak and not be great.
Cookies?
Not so much... depending on the weather (humidity and etc) they can last up to a week on the outside.
(You can see from the photos that I dip them too but I use a chocolate blend for those...one part chocolate bark and one part good chocolate)

I haven't gotten the good oranges yet. Been looking for them too.

Florida is where mine usually come from...they have been pounded by hurricanes this year. They have agricultural police who issue permits to pick the oranges. I'm guessing they haven't issued anything yet.

It's going to be a horse race for everything this year. I'm currently waiting for word from the chocolate seller to see what they are going to do to fix this.

Flights are currently very limited (97% not happening). Cargo ships are running...but slow.

Maybe they are waiting for a big order for Thanksgiving.

The type of chocolate I use is for bakeries and patisseries. They are all but closed right now. No one brings boxes of donuts or cakes to work right now. (Not like they used to)
And that has trickled back to the supply houses.

Maybe I should buy a case of 5? I can go through that in a year. (Barely) But a 25kg case of chocolate is rather heavy. (The delivery man will definitely whine about it)

I don't know how to fix all this. Surely there will be a solution coming up.