The Church Is Not Walking In Her Full Authority !!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
The forefathers came from what they viewed as an opressive society. For centuries the Brittish government dictated religion. Not only was England notorious for this, but so was many other forms of government throughout the centuries. Many if not most of our forefathers were diests. They wanted to have the freedom of religious expression. They also wanted others to have the same.

Our forefathers were wise enough to understand. The more freedom we allow another, the more freedom we will have ourselves. If we start to dictate beliefs in one way, our own beliefs will also be dictated in another. We can see evidence of this in todays society. This is caused by people trying to interpret the Constitution in a way that wasn't originally intended. This is also on top of different religions, such as Muslims who believe in dictating religion to the public, and to a certain extent the Christian church in tradition of Calvinism.

So, all in all, I can reconcile my view with what I've read and understand about the original intent on freedom of religion. We should all be free to decide what we want to believe. We should also be free to accept that others are not going to believe like us. Although it might make us feel better because we ourselves wont be faced with so much we disagree with. If we could exercise authority to anothers lives, we will be met with more disdain than we are now. That disdain will not be because of Jesus Christ. It will be because we will become dictators. That will lead to an overthrowing, and even more rampant evilness just for spite. A wolf in a cage is still a wolf regardless how we force it to behave or which means we use to accomplish the task.

We should be content, thankfull and greatfull if we have a safe life, are well fed, and clothed. We should have compassion to help others in need. Help the hungry family, the abused child, the bullied kid at school, etc etc. That is loving your neighbor, that is being the salt of the earth. I think this is why the homosexuality issue bothers me so much. We argue and debate, and vote, and go to great lengths to stop gays, yet, child abuse runs rampant and we do nothing. Very disturbing. I'm also guilty of doing nothing for the most part.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. I don't believe Christians should start demanding that our value's must be societies values as well. It wouldn't work and it wouldn't go down very well. I just think that as a church and as individual Christians our beliefs should be evident in how we live, act and interact with others. When put that together with Jesus demand to spread the gospel, I very much believe that these things will, in fact, help sway society for the better. And when I say 'spread the gospel' I'm not talking of the kind of preaching that stands on a corner yelling at people that they're sinners and are going to hell. No confrontation is going to lead to Jesus...well, not many, anyway! We love people, guide them to come to Church if we can, help out when they need it, and just try and steer them towards the realisation that they are lost and blind and that Jesus is the answer.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
With respect, I disagree. Paul makes it clear that while God or the Spirit does the saving, quite often He chooses to use people to do it.

14 But how can they call on Him they have not believed in? And how can they believe without hearing about Him? And how can they hear without a preacher?...17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the message about Christ. Romans 10:14,17

Jesus also clearly teaches that we are to 'outreach'...the Great Commission:

19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember,I am with you always,to the end of the age.” Matt 28:19-20

God may have pronounced the world as lost, be clearly He wants as many saved as possible:

9 The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish but all to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

Peter reminds us that how we live our lives outside the Church is just as important:

12 Conduct yourselves honourably among the Gentiles, so that in a case where they speak against you as those who do what is evil, they will, by observing your good works, glorify God on the day of visitation....15 For it is God’s will that you silence the ignorance of foolish people by doing good. 1Peter 2:12,15

Again, Jesus commands us to step out:

16 In the same way, let your light shinebefore men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. Matt 5:16

I think it's very clear that as Christians we are not just to sit in the pews or brunch with other believers and shun everyone else. In fact, what kind of a message does that send about Jesus and His work in our lives? Nope..we're supposed to be a light for Him, reaching out and in the Spirit's power drawing others into the Church.

The miracle of conversion is God's and God's alone,people deliver the message,point the way to the one who saves perhaps but they in no way save them...as far as interacting with the world that depends on the individual,people have different backgrounds and are saved from different places and circumstances and when they run blindly into places with people and situations more often than not they are influenced rather than being an influence.....there are places i will not go and people i will not associate with for no other reason other than i know what lies in wait for me there,someone else with a different background might have no problem.

The Bible instructs us to avoid certain kinds of people,this of course flies in the face of the modern hyper social Christianity where everybody has to know everybody and everybody has to know everything about everybody.... with few exceptions show me somebody who spends more time with the world and its people rather than Gods people "brunching" and i will show you somebody is usually more like the world than they should be...if you are an exception that's fine...but the Bible ask the question can two walk together if they are not agreed and it is wise to not assume that you are so super spiritual that you can enter into any situation and come out untarhished.

The OP made a statement something to the effect that we need to"step up our game" then listed a few of the world's many ills as if Christians are the cause of these things when the Bible plainly tells us why evil exist and why people do the things they do...Christian hypocrisy plays a role but a Christian living a Christian life is not repsonsable...his neighbor is not a drunkard beating his wife and kids because he hasn't been invited to church often enough,rape and murder does not happen because the local church doesn't have enough programs or conferences...indeed most churches have tons of these things...Jesus told us the world was going to get worse and worse and sound doctrine would not be endured....i trust him on the subject.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I find the foundations of Israel are the ones we need to have for a good strong healthy Nation, as that is Christ way for us.
Now the fact is we know why the tribe of Israel failed and so to will we if we go down that path.
So i say we need to have a very strong Christian position and if one is against that then that person should be banished as he is only trash and can go make their own weak feeble pathetic dumping ground of a country.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The church has no authority except that given to it by man. One must understand Christ is building His church and it is founded on revelation not mens wisdom or understanding. It is spiritual not wordly and cant be found in buildings. It has one head Christ and the Holy Spirirt is the teacher. It is not far away, soon it will be seeing, and those who are in it will walk in the full authority of Christ.

In His Love

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Do you base this on any particular scriptures?

It sounds a lot like the word of faith teaching like Kenneth Copeland and some of the others.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
What do you believe is the church's authority?
I believe the believer's authority is to exercise the rights which Jesus died to give us. To stand against the devil for trying to kill, steal, and destroy...to be used by God to stand our ground and that of our neighbors. We cannot just sit back and let the devil go un-checked with his schemes and plots of destruction.

Do you base this on any particular scriptures?

It sounds a lot like the word of faith teaching like Kenneth Copeland and some of the others.
Luke 10:19 and yes, Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth E. Hagin, and Creflo Dollar ministries have been a big influence on my faith. Have any particular TV ministries been a blessing to you ?

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Is there any scripture in the Bible that indicates that Jesus will return to a peaceful Christianized world,or that the tribulation,the anti Christ and other miseries spoken of to describe the latter days are just symbolic or somehow not going to happen ? Humanism has entered into the hearts and minds of people all over the world and a new tower of babble is under contruction.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The church has been largely sidetracked into a human-appeasing salvation scheme rather than presenting the kingdom of God in power.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
If this "authority renders everything the Bible says about the god of this world,this world's system and those who belong to it null and void then by all means please explain,this authority is in regard to our individual spiritual lives

The church has been largely sidetracked into a human-appeasing salvation scheme rather than presenting the kingdom of God in power.

Humanism

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If this "authority renders everything the Bible says about the god of this world,this world's system and those who belong to it null and void then by all means please explain,this authority is in regard to our individual spiritual lives

Humanism

There is a tendency to see things of the kingdom as personal and individual...and then go with the flow of the world for everything else. But this is a great error indeed. We are to usher in the rule of the kingdom by being subject to the Holy Spirit as a body...rather than get authority to build "churches" from the state.

Jesus told us to pray as a WE not an I. We are not saved to be individuals but to fit into a body...or not. Jesus told US to pray ...OUR Father (not MY Father)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I believe the believer's authority is to exercise the rights which Jesus died to give us. To stand against the devil for trying to kill, steal, and destroy...to be used by God to stand our ground and that of our neighbors. We cannot just sit back and let the devil go un-checked with his schemes and plots of destruction.

Luke 10:19 and yes, Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth E. Hagin, and Creflo Dollar ministries have been a big influence on my faith. Have any particular TV ministries been a blessing to you ?

No, not that I can say but I don't go for all the hooplah of the WOF prosperity teachers.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
There is a tendency to see things of the kingdom as personal and individual...and then go with the flow of the world for everything else. But this is a great error indeed. We are to usher in the rule of the kingdom by being subject to the Holy Spirit as a body...rather than get authority to build "churches" from the state.

Jesus told us to pray as a WE not an I. We are not saved to be individuals but to fit into a body...or not. Jesus told US to pray ...OUR Father (not MY Father)

I have no desire to mince words with you,the bible says the world is going to get worse and it is,each individual is responsable for their own walk...it is my name that will or will not be written in the Lambs book of life....there is no such thing as corporate salvation,we cannot ride the coatails of another....there is however individual damnation for not accepting the gospel as an individual.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have no desire to mince words with you,the bible says the world is going to get worse and it is,each individual is responsable for their own walk...it is my name that will or will not be written in the Lambs book of life....there is no such thing as corporate salvation,we cannot ride the coatails of another....there is however individual damnation for not accepting the gospel as an individual.

The way out of an individual judgment is a corporate surrender. Jesus talks of a church being judged ...together...read Rev. 2 & 3.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
The miracle of conversion is God's and God's alone,people deliver the message,point the way to the one who saves perhaps but they in no way save them...as far as interacting with the world that depends on the individual,people have different backgrounds and are saved from different places and circumstances and when they run blindly into places with people and situations more often than not they are influenced rather than being an influence.....there are places i will not go and people i will not associate with for no other reason other than i know what lies in wait for me there,someone else with a different background might have no problem.

I know man doesn't save, that it is God and God alone. But quite clearly He chooses to use men as His tool in many, many cases. We know that should He want to God could save someone without a tool...al la Paul. But in most cases He chooses to open the hearts and minds of others through the preaching of the good news. Why else did Jesus tell us to go and preach the gospel? Why did Paul and the apostles spend their lives preaching, why do we have missionaries doing amazing things overseas (yes, amazing things not in their own power, but Gods). The very fact that God shows up and saves people when His word is preached shows that this is how He wants us to go ahead.
As far as going places we shouldn't, I agree. A Christian needs to be aware of their strengths and weaknesses. Someone who struggles with alcohol should never attempt to witness or just befriend others at a bar! If they really feel, due to their struggles, that they would have a unique perspective on the same struggles of others, it would perhaps be wiser to join a support group...AA perhaps, where there is no alcohol, but plenty of need. We don't...in fact, shouldn't, go blindly out and try and 'preach'...very unwise. But by necessity every Christian has a circle...where they shop, who they work with, extended family, school networks...etc. Plenty of opportunity to carefully consider and help or witness there,

The Bible instructs us to avoid certain kinds of people,this of course flies in the face of the modern hyper social Christianity where everybody has to know everybody and everybody has to know everything about everybody.... with few exceptions show me somebody who spends more time with the world and its people rather than Gods people "brunching" and i will show you somebody is usually more like the world than they should be...if you are an exception that's fine...but the Bible ask the question can two walk together if they are not agreed and it is wise to not assume that you are so super spiritual that you can enter into any situation and come out untarhished.

Well, as I said, just because we are to be a light in the world, doesn't mean we are to be stupid! You are correct, sometimes we try and take on things that do more harm to us than help to others. I'm not really talking of that, however. I think perhaps you're thinking that I'm talking about really stepping out into society and trying to preach by becoming almost a part of it. I'm not...and perhaps I'm not really saying what I mean well. As a church we worship together on Sunday's, we meet during the week for study, and we often have social functions...but the rest of the week is spent interacting with, like I said above, work, shopping, kids and school, extended family. All I'm really saying, is we take Jesus with us everywhere. Our attitude and actions need to reflect that we are saved, and we need to be aware of opportunities to witness, and just help out. I don't think we are to...and I've seen em, walk through life and the unsaved with a haughty 'holier than thou' attitude that stoops to dealing with the sinful only because they're ringing through our vegetables! These people are lost and blind and if God wants to use me and my attitude towards them to crack open their eyes, then amen! My point is we can't be loving to our brothers and sisters, and then step out of Church and be disdainful to everyone else. Who knows which ones are going to become saved and therefore ours in Christ! We should be walking through life wondering at every person we bump into...Lord, will this be one of yours? How can I help?

The OP made a statement something to the effect that we need to"step up our game" then listed a few of the world's many ills as if Christians are the cause of these things when the Bible plainly tells us why evil exist and why people do the things they do...Christian hypocrisy plays a role but a Christian living a Christian life is not repsonsable...his neighbor is not a drunkard beating his wife and kids because he hasn't been invited to church often enough,rape and murder does not happen because the local church doesn't have enough programs or conferences...indeed most churches have tons of these things...Jesus told us the world was going to get worse and worse and sound doctrine would not be endured....i trust him on the subject.

I agree...and I don't believe that this will ever get better, no matter the Church involvement. Clearly the bible tells us that these atrocities have always been and will always be. Sin has taken over so many hearts....mankind is capable of terrible things. But my point was this: seeing these horrible things, do we, as Christians just shrug it off, turn the other way and say 'well, I'm not responsible, the man has clearly chosen his path'. Yes, clearly the man has chosen his path and it will probably take an act of God to change it! But what of the victims? The kids being hit, the woman being raped? My point is that as Christians we hate sin and it's affects, and we want to help those victims, even if it's just making a phone call. We should never distance ourselves from helping these people, just because we are not 'of the world' and we are not responsible for the terrible behaviour inflicted on them. We may not be called to personally take on the false doctrine's of the world, or to stop every sin from happening, but we are called to love...not just our fellow Christians, but everyone. Helping and comforting others in crisis...that would come under that heading I would think.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
The way out of an individual judgment is a corporate surrender. Jesus talks of a church being judged ...together...read Rev. 2 & 3.

Yes,i know that the whole concept of the individual and their responsability before God as an individual is not very popular in today's modern social gospel...its almsot as if people think if they bl and that YOU will giend in with a crowd God won't notice them....the bible says that YOUR sin will find YOU out and that YOU will give an account of YOUR life