The conviction of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God can tell you you've done something wrong or withdrawal the spirit. But I'm not sure about conviction ideas. it seems to me the devil could play around in that area. Is there any scripture to support conviction ideas: The Holy Spirit Convicts a Believer of Righteousness not of Sin

The spirit has given me negative feelings while I am in the act of sinning, but it didn't last long, very short term message. It it's more like "I don't like what you are doing". There is just too much damage someone can do by being overly critical of someone.
John 16:8:

New King James Version
And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

American Standard Version
And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Berean Study Bible
And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:

English Revised Version
And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

World English Bible
When he has come, he will convict the world about sin, about righteousness, and about judgment;

Young's Literal Translation
and having come, He will convict the world concerning sin, and concerning righteousness, and concerning judgment;

Reactions: Debp and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16:8:

New King James Version
And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

American Standard Version

Berean Study Bible
And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:

English Revised Version

World English Bible
When he has come, he will convict the world about sin, about righteousness, and about judgment;

Young's Literal Translation
and having come, He will convict the world concerning sin, and concerning righteousness, and concerning judgment;
I take this to mean that the world has established laws from God. But the world is going south with strange laws these days. So who knows.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take this to mean that the world has established laws from God. But the world is going south with strange laws these days. So who knows.
I'm not sure what you mean here Dev. I see laws of the "world" to mostly oppose the laws of God...and yes, you're right...VERY strange laws and beliefs. God save your people!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
John 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin,and of righteousness, and of judgement :

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

This is the WORK of the Holy Spirit, just as Jesus, and the salvation gift by his sacrifice, is the WORK of God !
John 16:10-11 is a bit mysterious. The Holy Spirit reproves the world of righteousness. Is this by teaching that we are unrighteous when compared to the perfect example set out by Jesus Christ.

The Holy Spirit reproves the world concerning judgement which is a correction to the order of things in this world. That the power of the devil is taken from him and given to the Kingdom of heaven on a localized basis.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16:10-11 is a bit mysterious. The Holy Spirit reproves the world of righteousness. Is this by teaching that we are unrighteous when compared to the perfect example set out by Jesus Christ.

The Holy Spirit reproves the world concerning judgement which is a correction to the order of things in this world. That the power of the devil is taken from him and given to the Kingdom of heaven on a localized basis.
Oxford dictionary defines reprove as a reprimand or censure.
In English, reprove most often denotes scolding with an undercurrent of kindness or caring intent.
The biblical use of the word translated here as reprove is more complex. It can mean to dispute, judge, chasten, argue, correct, or prove of sin.

The whole council of God must be a part of a believers life. It is not a part of the world. However, the Spirit's conviction is to discipline, correct or use the means of God to turn that person from unrighteousness to the righteousness of God, in Christ, in repentance.

• Love
Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Every born again from above Christian was and will be under conviction from the Holy Spirit for something that God is changing in you. Its called Sanctification. Everyone in different ways but it does.
Is there anywhere in scripture that says The Holy Spirit convicts a believer/ Born Again.?...thanks.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there anywhere in scripture that says The Holy Spirit convicts a believer/ Born Again.?...thanks.
A good point you ask. Condemned and conviction are interchangeable . The unsaved person who God calls to salvation is convicted to repentance. But for a believer to be convicted, is by not doing, by Faith, what is right. Example;

Nasb
Romans 14:21-23 - It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not
condemn (convict) himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned (convicted) if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A good point you ask. Condemned and conviction are interchangeable . The unsaved person who God calls to salvation is convicted to repentance. But for a believer to be convicted, is by not doing, by Faith, what is right. Example;

Nasb
Romans 14:21-23 - It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not
condemn (convict) himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned (convicted) if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.
Many thanks for explaining...I would also like to get @Behold understanding on this subject as I’m pretty confused over it.

No worries on that....as I rest in God...Praise His Holy Name.

Only the Holy Spirit can bear witness to my spirit on this matter...and I’m grown enough to know...that it’s all in his timing....LOL.