The conviction of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you hear anything these years about the conviction of the Holy Spirit?

I'm a senior citizen and years ago, I would often hear about people being under the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Convicting people of their sins inwardly.

My grandma, a godly woman, would often say someone was "under conviction". They usually would feel miserable (they wouldn't know why). And they would often lash out at Christians.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm a senior citizen and years ago, I would often hear about people being under the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Convicting people of their sins inwardly.

My grandma, a godly woman, would often say someone was "under conviction". They usually would feel miserable (they wouldn't know why). And they would often lash out at Christians.
To be under conviction in that sense requires that a person be always listening to God. Not too much of that happening from what I can see or hear:

He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. Matt 11:15

Last edited:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be under conviction in that sense requires that a person be always listening to God. Not too much of that happening from what I can see or hear:

He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. Matt 11:15

The old term "under conviction" of which I was speaking was referring more to someone who is either not a believer or a believer with serious issues that need to be straightened out. An inward work by the Holy Spirit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The old term "under conviction" of which I was speaking was referring more to someone who is either not a believer or a believer with serious issues that need to be straightened out. An inward work by the Holy Spirit.
Yes, I remember hearing it used that way, but it is indeed not common usage today.

Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good morning Debp,
No, I rarely hear that term except from my own siblings. The verse that comes to mind is of course: "And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:" John 16:8, and I suppose He is still doing it until He leaves this earth.

Yeah, the world has become so distanced from the true God, peoples minds have been calloused over, no such thing as sin they say, even though we know who wins in the end, nowadays it really feels like defeat :(

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Debp,

I'm a senior, too. And while I used to hear some say that so-and-so was 'under the conviction of the Holy Spirit', it didn't have anything to do with "conviction" in a negative sense (such as 'convicting' someone of their sins). It was more like...having a sort of 'zeal' for their strong positive beliefs about Jesus, God, the Bible, etc...that they were professing outwardly.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin,and of righteousness, and of judgement :

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

This is the WORK of the Holy Spirit, just as Jesus, and the salvation gift by his sacrifice, is the WORK of God !

Lena123

Oct 3, 2023
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin,and of righteousness, and of judgement :

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

This is the WORK of the Holy Spirit, just as Jesus, and the salvation gift by his sacrifice, is the WORK of God !
Amen. Sister Lamb, can we be friends in Christ?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

People can feel spiritually empty inside if they live selfish lifestyles. It's actually lack of the Holy Spirit. I am always careful of that idea of "conviction of the spirit" as I know Satan is the accuser of our brethren. He likes to accuse them of their sins.

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Reactions: Debp

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
People can feel spiritually empty inside if they live selfish lifestyles. It's actually lack of the Holy Spirit. I am always careful of that idea of "conviction of the spirit" as I know Satan is the accuser of our brethren. He likes to accuse them of their sins.

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
The Holy Spirit is our helper. Any conviction he puts us under is not without recourse. We should respond with belief and repentance.

The devil accuses us to the Father, and not to our benefit but that we would be cursed and ultimately condemned.

Reactions: Nancy and Debp

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit is our helper. Any conviction he puts us under is not without recourse. We should respond with belief and repentance.

The devil accuses us to the Father, and not to our benefit but that we would be cursed and ultimately condemned.
I'm not sure negative feelings are from the Holy Ghost. See Galatians 5:22-23.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God can tell you you've done something wrong or withdrawal the spirit. But I'm not sure about conviction ideas. it seems to me the devil could play around in that area. Is there any scripture to support conviction ideas: The Holy Spirit Convicts a Believer of Righteousness not of Sin

The spirit has given me negative feelings while I am in the act of sinning, but it didn't last long, very short term message. It it's more like "I don't like what you are doing". There is just too much damage someone can do by being overly critical of someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The spirit has given me negative feelings while I am in the act of sinning, but it didn't last long, very short term message. It it's more like "I don't like what you are doing". There is just too much damage someone can do by being overly critical of someone.
This is how he works, with gentleness. But even still someone seeking approval from everyone will be torn up by gentle admonishing. Especially when it comes from within.

As for the Holy Spirit convicting the world of the sin of disbelief. I don't agree that is the correct interpretation. Jesus was referring to sin in general which has a remedy in belief in Jesus Christ. If everyone were perfect belief in Jesus for the forgiveness of sins wouldn't be necessary.

Reactions: dev553344

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I believe what we need is more conviction of the Holy Spirit. The alternative would be that God has given up on saving people. People when exposed to the gospel may not respond. And they will go on among the living dead in their sins with little seeds in their shoes to bother them like sand until they forget. The conviction doesn't remain noticed forever.

Reactions: Debp

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Debp,

Not to sure, haven't heard it very much around myself it would do good to count in that I hardly ever go to church either. Conviction, 1651 elégxō – properly, to convince with solid, compelling evidence, especially to expose (prove wrong, connect).

Normally in interrogations with Police and offenders under the law, try to either convict the person into telling the truth, by using what evidence they have against them that will prove them to be the one who did the murder, hid the drugs, or sexually abused, etc. The Holy Spirit can convict a person who looks towards Yahava, who gives the holy spirit to those who look towards Him, and the Son of God, if they so desire to be helped by the holy spirit they are told by Jesus to pray to the Father in heaven to receive help, into having wisdom, patience, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, considerate, joyful, having agape love for anyone who may be nearby, to show honor, dignity and respect, in spite of the flesh which comes from the soul, that we are mean, evil, and cause disturbances in others lives, or rile up a crowd, or down trot someone by the darkness that is there. The only way to push that darkness is to look to someone higher than you, and that would be the Father in heaven who adopts you when you decide to follow after the Lord Yeshua, and grow and learn and mature in the spirit as you go in this life, and build up your spiritual body for the next life.

The holy spirit, is from God, and the Spirit of Christ is also sent to be within a believer (Galatians 2:20), they combined to create light and new spiritual birth in the believer who believes in the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord, and they are adopted into a family of believers not only in Heaven, but also on earth, to encourage, and to love God first, and love others as yourself.

The holy spirit - will be a conviction from Yahava, by the spirit - which leads to a guilty feeling, and the owner either takes responsibility and disciplines to change the behavior by the spirit if they so desire, or continue to do that thing ever so often, Paul had a struggle and prayed to the LORD, that he would take his struggle way, and he did not do so. He told him my grace is sufficient for you. And Paul found that he rather, boasted in the Lord because of his weakness, that way to profess the Lord first as a chosen obligation to follow through with spreading the good news which had come to all people the Gentiles, and not just the Jews only which he I believe said the faith made it all over the world at that point in time which is interesting.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to hear "I feel convicted" and such among members of my Bible study group (and one of my neighbors who felt guilty about yelling at me because my dog peed on her lawn), but to be honest, it struck me as one of those affectations Christian culture used to take on to sound more religious. If you feel guilty, say you feel guilty. I don't miss it.