The Crucified Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

BL, I think being baptized with the Holy Spirit is not being crucified. It is being baptized into His death FOR the power TO pick up our cross and follow Him to our own death.

I received the Holy Spirit and was not crucified or dead yet. Dead men don't assert themselves or demand anything. They are silent.
I was filled with the Spirit from my birth...without the Spirit empowering me, I would still be living in the world and loving it. And I died that night of my conversion. Born again. New creature. Can't become new without dying first. Can't yearn for a sanctified life without hating the old. Can't do any of that without the Spirit. But we all come to God in different ways, along different roads, and from different holes. For some, those holes were dark desperate places like empty mine shafts of despair and lost hope. For others, the hole was a shallow fox-hole charade of worldly pleasure and superficial fleeting highs followed by the desperate need to reload. For yet others, the hole was a deep cave of lonely depressing existence that simply wanted the roof to fall on them. We are all so different and there are no set rules to how God reaches us. But all of us I think must confess that at some stage, the long arm of grace reached out and took a gentle hold of us and pulled us to safety.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was filled with the Spirit from my birth...without the Spirit empowering me, I would still be living in the world and loving it. And I died that night of my conversion. Born again. New creature. Can't become new without dying first. Can't yearn for a sanctified life without hating the old. Can't do any of that without the Spirit. But we all come to God in different ways, along different roads, and from different holes. For some, those holes were dark desperate places like empty mine shafts of despair and lost hope. For others, the hole was a shallow fox-hole charade of worldly pleasure and superficial fleeting highs followed by the desperate need to reload. For yet others, the hole was a deep cave of lonely depressing existence that simply wanted the roof to fall on them. We are all so different and there are no set rules to how God reaches us. But all of us I think must confess that at some stage, the long arm of grace reached out and took a gentle hold of us and pulled us to safety.

Amen brother and well put. :)

But no matter how we came to know the grace of God we have to come into a new humility and teachability. We have but begun to grow into something resembling Christ in His full stature.

I fear that many who have perhaps begun in grace but have taken this as a new kind of pride...a religious pride...filtering favour from God through the carnal mind as a means of puffing oneself up so as to not be open to learn of more that they require to proceed.

These then rather than invest the grace they have been given...protect it by burying into their flesh...like the talent in the parable....so the flesh gets edified and not the inner man.

When the gift of God is buried in the flesh..it bears no fruit. No lasting eternal fruit.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

Amen brother and well put. :)

But no matter how we came to know the grace of God we have to come into a new humility and teachability. We have but begun to grow into something resembling Christ in His full stature.

I fear that many who have perhaps begun in grace but have taken this as a new kind of pride...a religious pride...filtering favour from God through the carnal mind as a means of puffing oneself up so as to not be open to learn of more that they require to proceed.
Mmm. The closer we come to our Saviour the more aware we are of how far away from Him we are.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mmm. The closer we come to our Saviour the more aware we are of how far away from Him we are.

HMM...I think it's more like the more we get to know ourselves...and who God is...the more we realize how far away we are from the Lord. We begin to see the contrast and the scale of that contrast.

But there is a walk in such intimacy...through the keeping power of God so that one's life is fully swallowed up in His. That is the high calling which no one seems to be interested in anymore.

But I have learned that there is an advantage to everything in life. So then I see this kind of walk as finding the greatest treasure that exists......and no one to compete with me for it. ;)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HMM...I think it's more like the more we get to know ourselves...and who God is...the more we realize how far away we are from the Lord. We begin to see the contrast and the scale of that contrast.

You said the same thing as BL. He just said it with less words. Because the closer we get to God, the more we DO see ourselves.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One time I posted pics of my shop here. I can't remember how I did it now. I wanted to post a pic of where I sit in the mornings to talk with you guys but...my technological stupidity prevents me.

I wish you guys could physically sit here with me while we talk! I wish you were in my physical vicinity. I really wish it. Of course, then I would have to get out of my pajamas to have my coffee...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to say one more thing and then I have to go.

It's really nice to talk with each other where no one says: hmmm, I see it more like this or that - and its immediately jumped on as the person saying you are wrong, but is understood as just...saying it in your own words, sort of as an addition to...

It just comes out more as making a big pot of stew together, where everyone tosses in an ingredient they have or a pinch of something.

It's just really nice to have it and I keep marvelling at how we are able to do it And not have a nasty person wander in and start shrieking about how we're all wrong and deluded and going to hay-ell!

It HAS to be God who has given us these unhindered mornings..