The decline of Christianity in the West

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
StanJ said:
  1. Yom has several connotations and the context of any scripture decides what the proper connotation is. You quote Strong's 3117 but apparently don't read it?
  2. Psalm 90 was written by a psalmist not identified, it was NOT written BY Moses. It alludes to some of Moses prayers that can be found in Exodus. i.e.; v13 is from Ex 32:12. It's like saying Rev 13 was written by Moses because it uses words from Ex 15.
I'm sure many Bible scholars could be wrong, but it is common knowledge among the best of them that Psalm 90 was written by Moses.

http://qbible.com/hebrew-old-testament/psalms/90.html

"You quote Strong's 3117 but apparently don't read it?" Ok, what was your motive for saying that?

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
StanJ said:
, but Peter did quote Psalm 90:4 in 2 Peter 3:8, and it basically shows God is not bound by time and does not exist in time.
God exists and is unaffected by time because time does not exist but in the limited perspective of humans.

Stop an ask a badger what time it is. Ask a dolphin what year it is. Ask a falcon what he's doing in the next ten minutes.

They haven't a clue what you're on about.

Things simply are in this cosmos. No time only a construct of human imagination.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
pom2014 said:
Things simply are in this cosmos. No time only a construct of human imagination.
I think time is a gift from God, and it appears he thought it was important. If it was irrelevant to God, why did He mandate so many specific days to be holy days?

Contemplating the future is a uniquely human trait... it is innate... and I think the concept of time is part of God's likeness in which we were made.

Just because He is not bound by time doesn't mean He doesn't consider it important.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
DogLady19 said:
I'm sure many Bible scholars could be wrong, but it is common knowledge among the best of them that Psalm 90 was written by Moses.

http://qbible.com/hebrew-old-testament/psalms/90.html

"You quote Strong's 3117 but apparently don't read it?" Ok, what was your motive for saying that?
Well I haven't found one reputable one yet and what you provide here shows no authority or author.

Another objection to Moses as the author of Psalm 90 is that the Bible says he lived to the age of 120 years and that his father, Amran, lived to 137 years. Surrounded by people with lifespans well over 100 years, Moses could not have written Psalm 90:10, which places a virtual upper limit of 80 years on the human lifespan: "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."

Here's a couple that ARE from scholars;

https://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=1393

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/clarke/psalms/90.htm

I thought my motive was clear....read Strong's, there are several connotations. What Strong's does say is a space of time defined by an associated term, and in the case of Gen 1 the associated term is "morning and evening".

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
StanJ said:
Well I haven't found one reputable one yet and what you provide here shows no authority or author.

Another objection to Moses as the author of Psalm 90 is that the Bible says he lived to the age of 120 years and that his father, Amran, lived to 137 years. Surrounded by people with lifespans well over 100 years, Moses could not have written Psalm 90:10, which places a virtual upper limit of 80 years on the human lifespan: "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."

Here's a couple that ARE from scholars;

https://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=1393

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/clarke/psalms/90.htm

I thought my motive was clear....read Strong's, there are several connotations. What Strong's does say is a space of time defined by an associated term, and in the case of Gen 1 the associated term is "morning and evening".
First off, I did not "quote" Strong's... I made reference to it as per a previous intercourse with you about the word Yom.

As for the authorship of Psalms 90, perhaps you and I will never agree...

http://spurgeon.org/treasury/ps090.htm

But we know Who said it, so we know it is truth. God's concept of time is different than ours.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
DogLady19 said:
First off, I did not "quote" Strong's... I made reference to it as per a previous intercourse with you about the word Yom.

As for the authorship of Psalms 90, perhaps you and I will never agree...

http://spurgeon.org/treasury/ps090.htm

But we know Who said it, so we know it is truth. God's concept of time is different than ours.
Actually you did quote the Strong's ref in post 59.

Sorry but I have a few problems other than this article with Spurgeon so I wouldn't really give much credence to his commentary.

From what I've read I can't even be sure it was from the Moses who wrote the Pentateuch, given what is written in v10, so although it does assign the prayer to a Moses, that's as far as I can go.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
StanJ said:
Actually you did quote the Strong's ref in post 59.

Sorry but I have a few problems other than this article with Spurgeon so I wouldn't really give much credence to his commentary.

From what I've read I can't even be sure it was from the Moses who wrote the Pentateuch, given what is written in v10, so although it does assign the prayer to a Moses, that's as far as I can go.
This is what I said in post #59: "Every single scripture I listed uses the word Yom (Strong's 3117)"

That is not a quote. That is making reference to Strong's.

Spurgeon is a "reputable Bible scholar" ...

And again, whether Moses was the author or not, or it was a different Moses, God's word is truth, and it behooves every Christian to study study study...

The focus of this topic is the Decline of Christianity in the West... I think I'll jump back to that now, especially since we are discussing Yom on another thread...

The decline of Christianity in the West signifies a fallen away because of things that western Christians have done in the name of Christ... God Hates Fags. Dancing is a sin. Prosperity Doctrines. TV Evangelists who tell people God is a magic genie who grants self-serving wishes. False Doctrines that take the focus off of Jesus and on to "untouchable" human beings. Faith healers for profit. the list goes on...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
DogLady19 said:
This is what I said in post #59: "Every single scripture I listed uses the word Yom (Strong's 3117)"

That is not a quote. That is making reference to Strong's.

Spurgeon is a "reputable Bible scholar" ...

And again, whether Moses was the author or not, or it was a different Moses, God's word is truth, and it behooves every Christian to study study study...

The focus of this topic is the Decline of Christianity in the West... I think I'll jump back to that now, especially since we are discussing Yom on another thread...

The decline of Christianity in the West signifies a fallen away because of things that western Christians have done in the name of Christ... God Hates Fags. Dancing is a sin. Prosperity Doctrines. TV Evangelists who tell people God is a magic genie who grants self-serving wishes. False Doctrines that take the focus off of Jesus and on to "untouchable" human beings. Faith healers for profit. the list goes on...
Right, so IMV that is quoting when you cite a reference.

Spurgeon is a reputable Calvinist, which IMO is NOT the same thing. BTW what credentials do you think Spurgeon had, seeing as you claim he was a scholar?

I have no problem with God's word regardless of who wrote it, but the ISSUE was that Psalm 90 was written by Moses, and I addressed that.

Yes all those things you cite are sad, but all I did was address you posts after you came into this thread.