The disciples had trouble recognizing the resurrected Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
On the resurrection Sunday outside the tomb, John 20:

14b [Mary] saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”
Mary saw the form of Jesus and heard his voice.

Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means Teacher).
When Jesus called Mary's name, she recognized him after a familiar calling of her name.

Later the same day, Mark 16:

12b he appeared in another form to two of them, as they were walking into the country.
Jesus' resurrected body wasn't exactly in the same form as his physical body before the resurrection.

Luke 24:

13 That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, 14 and they were talking with each other about all these things that had happened. 15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16But their eyes were kept from recognizing him.
They spent some time walking and talking with Jesus until near evening.

30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed and broke it and gave it to them. 31And their eyes were opened, and they recognized him.
They recognized him after a familiar blessing of food.

And he vanished from their sight.
I think Jesus miraculously disappeared from their sight.

Later, back to John 20

19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
Jesus miraculously materialized.

20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
The disciples were slow to believe. He had to show them the marks first. Thomas wasn't there.

26 Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” 28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Believe first, then you will see.

Next chapter, John 21:

1 After this Jesus revealed himself again to the disciples by the Sea of Tiberias, and he revealed himself in this way.
The disciples went fishing and caught nothing all night.

4 Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. 5 Jesus said to them, “Children, do you have any fish?” They answered him, “No.” 6He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish. 7 That disciple whom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, “It is the Lord!
12 Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast.” Now none of the disciples dared ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord.
Jesus' resurrected body was in accordance with imperishable physical laws, not the perishable laws that govern our bodies and our world presently.

1 Corinthians 15:

5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
Eventually, for us, 1 John 3:

2b we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very different body.

For no air going in the lungs, and the Spirit of God is the one who is creating the source of life for Yeshua, to continue sharing the message.

There will be no need for a physical body after this life.