The Dogs !?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
who exactly are the dogs referred to "give not the food of the children to the dogs - to understand this correctly we must ask exactly who are the children and who the dogs - the children of God are those of all religions "who hear the word/s of God and keep it" and this is why Christianity has been given to those of all religions who have heard the word/s of God and kept it/them and the dogs are those who have not imho - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@twinc I am glad that for once I can agree with you :)
It sounds like Jesus was saying a very harsh and unkind thing..in referring
to a non-Jew like that.
I can only presume that it was an accepted thing 'back then'.
But we know that Jesus saw past all things..and into this woman's very heart.
He knew just what He was doing before He spoke these words.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
who exactly are the dogs referred to "give not the food of the children to the dogs - to understand this correctly we must ask exactly who are the children and who the dogs - the children of God are those of all religions "who hear the word/s of God and keep it" and this is why Christianity has been given to those of all religions who have heard the word/s of God and kept it/them and the dogs are those who have not imho - twinc

I must not understand, or make too much out of nothing. How is this not seen as prophetic of the gospel of grace that would come after Christ was rejected, died, and was then raised from the dead: the gospel then offered to the gentiles. It was always going there. To the dogs and swine. To those unclean and crying out for mercy. Yes, Christ words were harsh, but His mercy for the woman spoke of what was to come: forgiveness through faith in The risen Christ. Personally I believe, that moment was orchestrated by the Father, for the Son to say those exact words, including them in scripture, validating Jesus as the messiah and unveiling the Fathers plan of mercy in giving the woman the true bread of life.

Last edited:

Acadia

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must not understand, or make too much out of nothing. How is this not seen as prophetic of the gospel of grace that would come after Christ was rejected, died, and was then raised from the dead: the gospel then offered to the gentiles. It was always going there. To the dogs and swine. To those unclean and crying out for mercy. Yes, Christ words were harsh, but His mercy for the woman spoke of what was to come: forgiveness through faith in The risen Christ. Personally I believe, that moment was orchestrated by the Father, for the Son to say those exact words, including them in scripture, validating Jesus as the messiah and unveiling the Fathers plan of mercy in giving the woman the true bread of life.

I agree. As I have understood it, Jesus was referring to the fact that she was a "Gentile". Yet, He recognized her faith and rewarded it. Salvation is by faith, as we know. Scripture also says that because of unbelief the Jews have been "cut off" (at least for a time) and the Gentiles have been "grafted in" by faith.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I disagree. Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus don't preach Christ crucified nor do they follow the Gospel.

who said they did - you have got it all mixed up - that is why Jesus stated they must be born again as Christians - twinc

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought dogs referred to the actual animal, canines.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought dogs referred to the actual animal, canines.

Hi JohnPaul,

I think that was the immediate reference. Everyone knew about all the wild dogs roaming around. But people also had pets, so Jesus and this woman were just talking about what they knew, but to say, To the Jew first, and then to the Gentile. It's as if this woman was saying, yes, but to the Gentile also.

Very great faith! "I receive from God, as He has said."

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: JohnPaul

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi JohnPaul,

I think that was the immediate reference. Everyone knew about all the wild dogs roaming around. But people also had pets, so Jesus and this woman were just talking about what they knew, but to say, To the Jew first, and then to the Gentile. It's as if this woman was saying, yes, but to the Gentile also.

Very great faith! "I receive from God, as He has said."

Much love!
Mark
Thank you Mark.