The Epistle To The Hebrews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. But I assumed you had a good reason for doing so.
Amen, As I read that book I see more and more as to how the Hebrews came about from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, well, I understand that Christ is over all, or is that wright according to the scriptures ? do you have the same assumption as we begin to explain the scriptures ?

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen, As I read that book I see more and more as to how the Hebrews came about from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, well, I understand that Christ is over all, or is that wright according to the scriptures ? do you have the same assumption as we begin to explain the scriptures ?

I understand that. My only question was about one thing only, and that was the apparent problem you seem to have with the title of the Epistle presented in the KJV; nothing else.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think, I can see his reasoning for various headings, to show his appeal was based on the superiority of Christ over the Judaic system. What is your reason for asking to what I stated ?

firstthings1st said>> "The oldest and most reliable title is simply Pros Ebraious, "To Hebrews."

How old is "Pros Ebraious"?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand that. My only question was about one thing only, and that was the apparent problem you seem to have with the title of the Epistle presented in the KJV; nothing else.
Yes Sir I understand, I used the KJV because I learned from it years ago, then I was learning from NKJV for years, but recently with the ESV, and I find that they all have helped me to study, what about you?

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes Sir I understand, I used the KJV because I learned from it years ago, then I was learning from NKJV for years, but recently with the ESV, and I find that they all have helped me to study, what about you?

My first Bible was a KJV, which is about all that was available 65 years ago in 1954. Then I got a Schofield reference Bible in 1962. Then I went to the NASB, and followed by the NASB Ryrie Study Bible after it came out in 1995, and I like it the best. IMO NASB is the gold standard for literal translation. Unfortunately, the publisher Moody, puts their Bibles together with the all time crappiest bindings I have ever seen, so they need a whole lot of glue and duct tape to keep them together. :-(

About 5 years ago, I bought the big honkin' 5 lb. 2700 page ESV study Bible, and bought a couple for my wife and son as well. I got turned off of the ESV from the outset after seeing what they had done with John 3:16 that "God gave his ONLY son", which is not true, and contradicts many Scripture passages that say otherwise. Their commentary notes are also very unimpressive. My wife and son both tried it but also went back to their familiar NASB.

Last edited:

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not me references >> Matthew 12:21, which is a quote from Isaiah address specifically to Israel:

"But you, Israel, My servant,
Jacob whom I have chosen,
Descendant of Abraham My friend" Isaiah 41:8

Same goes for Romans 15. a quote from Isaiah:

Therefore thus says the Lord God of hosts, “O My people who dwell in Zion" Isaiah 10:24

The prophets did not speak to the Gentiles, they only spoke to the Jews *'about'* the Gentiles.

Prophesying “about” the Gentiles are prophecies “for and to” the Gentiles. Otherwise how can we as believers take anything written to other Christians as our own...But we can agree to disagree.

In this one;

Genesis 3:15 (NASB)
And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise you on the head, And you shall bruise him on the heel.

It’s hard to say God didn’t prophecy to all of humanity about what Christ was going to accomplish.

But I’m not going to argue.

So blessings to you in Christ, Not me

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My first Bible was a KJV, which is about all that was available 65 years ago in 1954. Then I got a Schofield reference Bible in 1962. Then I went to the NASB, and followed by the NASB Ryrie Study Bible after it came out in 1995, and I like it the best. IMO NASB is the gold standard for literal translation. Unfortunately, the publisher Moody, puts their Bibles together with the all time crappiest bindings I have ever seen, so they need a whole lot of glue and duct tape to keep them together. :-(

About 5 years ago, I bought the big honkin' 5 lb. 2700 page study Bible, and bought a couple for my wife and son as well. I got turned off of the ESV from the outset after seeing what they had done with John 3:16 that "God gave his ONLY son", which is not true, and contradicts many Scripture passages that say otherwise. Their commentary notes are also very unimpressive. My wife and son both tried it but also went back to their familiar NASB.

The King James Version is the best and safest to have.

Your choice of the Scofield Study Bible was good also, as I have never seen any better.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As to the book of Hebrews, I will say this.

A great Bible teacher once told us this. "The book of Hebrews is written to the Hebrews to teach the Hebrews to quit being Hebrews."

And the book of Hebrews is without a doubt, in my opinon, written by the apostle Paul.

Stranger

Reactions: marks and Stan B

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

About 5 years ago, I bought the big honkin' 5 lb. 2700 page study Bible, and bought a couple for my wife and son as well. I got turned off of the ESV from the outset after seeing what they had done with John 3:16 that "God gave his ONLY son", which is not true, and contradicts many Scripture passages that say otherwise. Their commentary notes are also very unimpressive. My wife and son both tried it but also went back to their familiar NASB.
Thanks

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Prophesying “about” the Gentiles are prophecies “for and to” the Gentiles. Otherwise how can we as believers take anything written to other Christians as our own...But we can agree to disagree.

In this one;

Genesis 3:15 (NASB)
And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise you on the head, And you shall bruise him on the heel.

It’s hard to say God didn’t prophecy to all of humanity about what Christ was going to accomplish.

But I’m not going to argue.

So blessings to you in Christ, Not me

Okay Notme, I concede! That judgement was directed to the entire world; all of humanity!
And all of humanity consisted of the only two people on earth. <giggle>

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay Notme, I concede! That judgement was directed to the entire world; all of humanity!
And all of humanity consisted of the only two people on earth. <giggle>

And all that were in Adams loins. For if it wasn’t, how could Christ be born the Bruiser of the serpent?

For the promise was to all, that all might come to repentance.

But blessings as we feed our personal relationship with Christ that we might be conformed to Him in all things.

In Christ, Not me

Last edited:

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The King James Version is the best and safest to have.

Your choice of the Scofield Study Bible was good also, as I have never seen any better.

Stranger

I disagree that the KJV is the best and safest to have. A lot of new manuscripts and new information has come to light over the 400 years since the KJV was written. And the majority of prominent scholars consider the NASB as the most accurate translation of today. For ME, it provides an assurance of confidence and trust. Others may have been led in a different direction.

Reactions: Nancy

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And all that were in Adams loins. For if it wasn’t, how could Christ be born the Bruiser of the serpent?

For the promise was to all, that all might come to repentance.

But blessings as we feed our personal relationship with Christ that we might be conformed to Him in all things.

In Christ, Not me

Not me>> how could Christ be born the Bruiser of the serpent?

Christ isn't the bruiser! Satan is the "bruiser", a recoverable wound.

Christ is the "crusher"! A fatal wound.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree that the KJV is the best and safest to have. A lot of new manuscripts and new information has come to light over the 400 years since the KJV was written. And the majority of prominent scholars consider the NASB as the most accurate translation of today. For ME, it provides an assurance of confidence and trust. Others may have been led in a different direction.

Newer does not translate into better. Just like older does not translate into better.

There are 'prominent scholars' who disbelieve in the inspiration of the Bible. That term means nothing. Just means you find it as a way to support your belief.

Choose the 'scholars' you want. That is what people do.

Stranger

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not me>> how could Christ be born the Bruiser of the serpent?

Christ isn't the bruiser! Satan is the "bruiser", a recoverable wound.

Christ is the "crusher"! A fatal wound.

I'm done, be blessed in Christ, Not me

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I do agree here Stan. Although, my own preference is the KJV as, I started out on it and, can remember the scriptures easier. Although...I do think it good to have several translations handy.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Newer does not translate into better. Just like older does not translate into better.

There are 'prominent scholars' who disbelieve in the inspiration of the Bible. That term means nothing. Just means you find it as a way to support your belief.

Choose the 'scholars' you want. That is what people do.

Stranger

So . . it is your opinion that we should ignore the work of the wonderful highly educated saints that God has given us, and have devoted their entire life to studying Scripture and providing us with the very best God has guided them to offer.

So the advice you are offering, is to ignore the works of these scholars, which means the the option you are attempting to promote in their stead, is to follow the babbling of fools!! The Bible has a whole lot to say about fools, and none of it is very favourable.

We all make our own choices in accordance with the spirits who lead us.