The Epistle To The Hebrews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So . . it is your opinion that we should ignore the work of the wonderful highly educated saints that God has given us, and have devoted their entire life to studying Scripture and providing us with the very best God has guided them to offer.

So the advice you are offering, is to ignore the works of these scholars, which means the the option you are attempting to promote in their stead, is to follow the babbling of fools!! The Bible has a whole lot to say about fools, and none of it is very favourable.

We all make our own choices in accordance with the spirits who lead us.

As I indicated before, scholarship alone means nothing. You can find scholars who are atheists. You can find in the Christian realm scholars who don't believe in the God inspiration of the Scriptures. Are you going to trust their 'scholarship'? I'm not.

The 'scholarship' behind our modern versions of the Bible is not worthy of trust. So, the advice I was offering and still do, is that the KJV is the best version, and the Scofield Study Bible is the best study Bible.

Indeed, the choice is yours.

Stranger

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do agree here Stan. Although, my own preference is the KJV as, I started out on it and, can remember the scriptures easier. Although...I do think it good to have several translations handy.

Hi Nancy, I am new to this forum, but your name has become familiar to me, as one I respect and who possesses discernment.

I started out with the KJV when I was 12 years of age. I had to hide it in my bedroom so no one would know what I was up to. Like you, the KJV English has become like a second language to me.

I agree that several translations are important, and to that end I often use

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

which provides the rendering of 50 different translations of a specific passage, with a simple mouse click on "in all English translations"

Biblegateway is my favourite raw data Bible site. For more detailed and interpretive information, my favourite site is Bible Hub, providing Stong's coverage in addition to a lot of other commentaries.

Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

Nancy, I enjoyed hearing from you!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen, I love to be led of the spirit of God. Romans 8:14 Sons and Daughters.

Amen!! That's something I have learned to follow in recent years! My only regret is that I did not realize it long ago.

"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come." John 16:13

When I quietly sit back and seek the truth, I am astounded by the thoughts that come to mind; thoughts that were far beyond my ability to come up with on my own.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Book Of Hebrews:

Many Jewish believers, having stepped out of judaism into Christianity, want to reverse their course in order to escape persecution by their countrymen. The writer of Hebrews exhorts them to "go to perfection" (6:1).

His appeal is based on the superiority of Christ over the Judaic system. Christ is better than the angels, for they worship Him. He is better than Moses, for He created him. He is better than Aaronic priesthood, for His sacrifice was once for all time.

He is better than the Law, for he mediates a better covenant. In short, there is more to be gained in Christ than to be lost in Judaism. Pressing on in Christ produces tested faith, self- discipline, and a visible love seen in good works.

Although the King James Version uses the title "The Epistle Of Paul The Apostle To The Hebrews ," there is no manuscript evidence to support it. The oldest and most reliable title is simply Pros Ebraious, "To Hebrews."
"Better" is indeed a keyword of Hebrews. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Nancy, I am new to this forum, but your name has become familiar to me, as one I respect and who possesses discernment.

I started out with the KJV when I was 12 years of age. I had to hide it in my bedroom so no one would know what I was up to. Like you, the KJV English has become like a second language to me.

I agree that several translations are important, and to that end I often use

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

which provides the rendering of 50 different translations of a specific passage, with a simple mouse click on "in all English translations"

Biblegateway is my favourite raw data Bible site. For more detailed and interpretive information, my favourite site is Bible Hub, providing Stong's coverage in addition to a lot of other commentaries.

Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

Nancy, I enjoyed hearing from you!
Good to see you, Sir! So years ago why did you have to hide your KJV?

I love to use the KJV, anyway.

Reactions: Stan B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Better" is indeed a keyword of Hebrews. :)

But I revere the Old Covenant that was created by God. It was a good Covenant under which God promised that “ALL Israel will be saved.” But salvation of all Israel was God’s choice. But under the New Covenant, God is now offering Israel a New and better choice, a choice where He gives the choice to Israel to embrace a New and better Covenant.

The offered New Covenant in no way abridges nor terminates the eternal promise of the Old Covenant.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I revere the Old Covenant that was created by God. It was a good Covenant under which God promised that “ALL Israel will be saved.” But salvation of all Israel was God’s choice. But under the New Covenant, God is now offering Israel a New and better choice, a choice where He gives the choice to Israel to embrace a New and better Covenant.

The offered New Covenant in no way abridges nor terminates the eternal promise of the Old Covenant.
I revere also

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good to see you, Sir! So years ago why did you have to hide your KJV?

I love to use the KJV, anyway.

farouk, Why did I have to hide my Bible?

I can't tell you. God has forbidden me to do so. Over the years, God has given me access to some of the most intimate details of my parent's life, and I could say a whole lot of things about them, and as such, God has given me strict instructions to keep my mouth shut, even within an anonymous forum such as this.

God gave me the 5th Commandment as my guide: "Honor your father and your mother."
A commandment that is not terminated for all eternity. And if in any way our parents might have transgressed against us, our duty is to forgive them and love them in the same way God forgives and loves the church.

As a hopeless street kid abandoned on the streets of Toronto at age 16, I had not given up on the God I trusted. As I learned of His promise to be a Father to the fatherless. I trusted His promise, and wow! did that turn out to be something wondrous beyond imagination. My saga, from a street urchin to multi-millionaire, was merely a big yawn compared to the unbelievably wonderful wife loving family He gave me.

After 77 years, as I look back, I have seen HIS hand in my life every step of the way!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
farouk, Why did I have to hide my Bible?

I can't tell you. God has forbidden me to do so. Over the years, God has given me access to some of the most intimate details of my parent's life, and I could say a whole lot of things about them, and as such, God has given me strict instructions to keep my mouth shut, even within an anonymous forum such as this.

God gave me the 5th Commandment as my guide: "Honor your father and your mother."
A commandment that is not terminated for all eternity. And if in any way our parents might have transgressed against us, our duty is to forgive them and love them in the same way God forgives and loves the church.

As a hopeless street kid abandoned on the streets of Toronto at age 16, I had not given up on the God I trusted. As I learned of His promise to be a Father to the fatherless. I trusted His promise, and wow! did that turn out to be something wondrous beyond imagination. My saga, from a street urchin to multi-millionaire, was merely a big yawn compared to the unbelievably wonderful wife loving family He gave me.

After 77 years, as I look back, I have seen HIS hand in my life every step of the way!
Thank-you for telling us your testimony, Sir! :)

1 Samuel 7.12 comes to mind: EBENEZER, 'Hitherto hath the LORD helped us'.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

firstthings1st, There are some things in Scripture that are a mystery. When encountering such mysteries, while I might privately speculate, I don't believe it is appropriate to share my speculations with any other than my most intimate friends who know me and know where it is coming from.

In this instance, I am faced with a dichotomy, both of which are true. Paul issued his declaration while standing upon the foundation of Scripture.

“Return, O backsliding children,” says the Lord; “for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion.” (Jer. Jer. 3:14)

Isaiah 45:17 Israel has been saved by the LORD With an everlasting salvation; You will not be put to shame or humiliated To all eternity.

And God expresses His ultimate forgiving love for his adulterous wife:

“I will betroth you to Me forever;
Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice,
In loving kindness and in compassion,
And I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness.
Then you will know the Lord.
"It will come about in that day that I will respond,” declares the Lord. . .
Hosea 2:18-19

Do I understand the dichotomy between the 'Wife of Jehovah' and the 'Bride of Christ'?? Nope. Not even a clue!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
firstthings1st, There are some things in Scripture that are a mystery. When encountering such mysteries, while I might privately speculate, I don't believe it is appropriate to share my speculations with any other than my most intimate friends who know me and know where it is coming from.

In this instance, I am faced with a dichotomy, both of which are true. Paul issued his declaration while standing upon the foundation of Scripture.

“Return, O backsliding children,” says the Lord; “for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion.” (Jer. Jer. 3:14)

Isaiah 45:17 Israel has been saved by the LORD With an everlasting salvation; You will not be put to shame or humiliated To all eternity.

And God expresses His ultimate forgiving love for his adulterous wife:

“I will betroth you to Me forever;
Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice,
In loving kindness and in compassion,
And I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness.
Then you will know the Lord.
"It will come about in that day that I will respond,” declares the Lord. . .
Hosea 2:18-19

Do I understand the dichotomy between the 'Wife of Jehovah' and the 'Bride of Christ'?? Nope. Not even a clue!
Amen