The Error of Uzzah

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, let me say that my Pastor alerted me to this, and aided me in understanding it. Gotta give honor where honor is due.

Numbers 4:15 KJV
And when Aaron and his sons have made an end of covering the sanctuary, and all the vessels of the sanctuary, as the camp is to set forward; after that, the sons of Kohath shall come to bear it : but they shall not touch any holy thing, lest they die. These things are the burden of the sons of Kohath in the tabernacle of the congregation.

This is the backdrop for what I am going to discuss. This verse is speaking of the Ark of the Covenant.it was not to be touched.

Now Uzzah is not a prominent Bible guy. He only appears in 4 verses and in the se incidence. We don't know much about him, but there are things we can infer. Let me give you the text:

2 Samuel 6:1-9 KJV
Again, David gathered together all the chosen a men of Israel, thirty thousand. [2] And David arose, and went with all the people that were with him from Baale of Judah, to bring up from thence the ark of God, whose name is called by the name of the Lord of hosts that dwelleth between the cherubims. [3] And they set the ark of God upon a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab that was in Gibeah: and Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drave the new cart. [4] And they brought it out of the house of Abinadab which was at Gibeah, accompanying the ark of God: and Ahio went before the ark. [5] And David and all the house of Israel played before the Lord on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals. [6] And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it. [7] And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God. [8] And David was displeased, because the Lord had made a breach upon Uzzah: and he called the name of the place Perez-uzzah to this day. [9] And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and said, How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

So what do we know about Uzzah? We know who his ad and brother were. But we also know that David had 30,000 chosen men. Not, random, but chosen out of millions. And two of those 30,000 were extra chosen to guide the ark. So I gather he had special honor and character. He must've had some kind of prominence to be chosen in the 30,000... And much more so to be one of two of 30k.

His brother Ahio got to lead... So Uzzah was number 2... Not really that bad. Uzzah was beside the ark. Now, what happen is that the oxen shook the ark. It caused Uzzah to put his hand up to steady it, and he touched the ark and died.

Let's think about this... There is no telling what the road was like at that position. We only know that the ark was shaking. It was obviously on a wagon, and it's size is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet as a rectangular box, and must've been heavy.

Could it be that he put his hand to it as a reaction? If you are walking or riding close to something that big and important, and it's about to fall in your direction, the first instinct without thinking is to put your hand up. The Bible doesn't say that was Uzzah's action (an unintentional reaction), but it could have been.

Even if it wasn't like that, if it's about to fall, it's still a good intention to put your hand up to steady such an important item.

The problem is God said don't touch it, and he did! It's speculation whether it was intentional or reactionary, but it's reasonable to assume either way.

David got mad about it, and the scripture says because God (not Uzzah) "breached".

"Breach" means to failure to keep or observe a law, agreement or code of conduct. Well, God didn't fail to keep the law and he kept his agreement:Uzzah died. So David was upset because be believed it was bad conduct on God's part. Yes, that's right! Go back and read it again!

Funny thing is, God didn't get upset or punish David because of his anger towards him. Still scared the Dickens out of David though!

It all worked out, though...

I know this post is long, but here is the main point, and what I want to discuss: Uzzah (whether it was reactionary or planned) was trying to do a good thing. And on the surface, I can't blame him. Who would also try to keep such an important item safe? Uzzah was the chosen of the chosen (2 out of 30,000) for some reason! In his place, what would you have done when the most holiest thing in the world (at the time) was about to fall over, and even possibly crush you as well?

I understand this is all speculative, but at least consider it as a possibility, because it isn't an unreasonable possibility.

So why would God "breach" Uzzah? I can only come to one conclusion:

The ark was about to fall. The oxen shook it. But it never did fall! There is no way of knowing if it would've had not Uzzah braced it, EXCEPT that God said not to! Thus, I concluded that while it looked like God needed Uzzah's help (and he was appointed to that position), he didn't need Uzzah's help! The ark was not going to fall, and even if it did, God didn't need his help and Uzzah was not obeying what God said!

God don't need your help with Grace either! Your actions will only make it worse!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a little more background here. Back in Exodus when they built the ark precisely as God described the need for special handling was considered in his description and command. Even the Levites, [only of the family of the Kohathites], who were to carry it, were not supposed to touch it. Special rings were attached to the sides through which long poles [staves] were inserted when it was to be carried. Only a priest, Aaron or one of his line would or should ever touch it. The ark would be placed within the holiest part of the tabernacle in the wilderness and again in the temple built by Solomon: The Most Holy Place... behind the second veil.

[Even when it was time for the Israelites to move in the wilderness, the priests would wrap up the precious vessels which no one else should touch, not even the Kohathites who would carry its weight.]

Only the high priest could enter the Most Holy Place, where the ark was when not being moved, and that only once a year. Not touching it had been a part of the very lives of the children of Israel for about 500 years already by the time of the incident with Uzzah. It was as much a cultural thing as it was a law of God. It makes one suspect that it was likely more for him an opportunity to touch rather than an accidental or reflexive action. He would have known and would have or should have been, if anything, afraid to even approach it too closely... much less touch it.

I believe he wanted to touch it and did, believing that because of special circumstances and being appointed by he could get away with it. He was wrong.

How innocent was David? Well perhaps he was more ignorant than innocent, because the ark was not to be placed on a cart and hauled by draft animals. The other two Levitical families, the sons of Gershon and the sons of Merari were given a total of 12 oxen and six wagons to haul the lessor outer parts of the tabernacle, but the Kohathites who were to carry the Ark were purposely NOT given carts or oxen:

"But unto the sons of Kohath he gave none: because the service of the sanctuary belonging unto them was that they should bear upon their shoulders." Num 7:9

No animals and no wagons, only the shoulders of the sons of Kohath! Had David asked of the priests or the Levites they could have told him that. He did ask...later after Uzzah was dead and then it was done the right way.

Additionally, on Uzzah, would God have killed him if his heart was right? I do not believe so any more than Achan would have been stoned to death had he not been guilty of hiding forbidden spoils of war during Joshua's time. Did not God not know what was in the heart of Uzzah? Was God ever a respecter of persons?

Reactions: Helen and FHII

Man on Fire

Jul 10, 2018
Durham
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, let me say that my Pastor alerted me to this, and aided me in understanding it. Gotta give honor where honor is due.

And when Aaron and his sons have made an end of covering the sanctuary, and all the vessels of the sanctuary, as the camp is to set forward; after that, the sons of Kohath shall come to bear it : but they shall not touch any holy thing, lest they die. These things are the burden of the sons of Kohath in the tabernacle of the congregation.

This is the backdrop for what I am going to discuss. This verse is speaking of the Ark of the Covenant.it was not to be touched.

Now Uzzah is not a prominent Bible guy. He only appears in 4 verses and in the se incidence. We don't know much about him, but there are things we can infer. Let me give you the text:

Again, David gathered together all the chosen a men of Israel, thirty thousand. [2] And David arose, and went with all the people that were with him from Baale of Judah, to bring up from thence the ark of God, whose name is called by the name of the Lord of hosts that dwelleth between the cherubims. [3] And they set the ark of God upon a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab that was in Gibeah: and Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drave the new cart. [4] And they brought it out of the house of Abinadab which was at Gibeah, accompanying the ark of God: and Ahio went before the ark. [5] And David and all the house of Israel played before the Lord on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals. [6] And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it. [7] And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God. [8] And David was displeased, because the Lord had made a breach upon Uzzah: and he called the name of the place Perez-uzzah to this day. [9] And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and said, How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

So what do we know about Uzzah? We know who his ad and brother were. But we also know that David had 30,000 chosen men. Not, random, but chosen out of millions. And two of those 30,000 were extra chosen to guide the ark. So I gather he had special honor and character. He must've had some kind of prominence to be chosen in the 30,000... And much more so to be one of two of 30k.

His brother Ahio got to lead... So Uzzah was number 2... Not really that bad. Uzzah was beside the ark. Now, what happen is that the oxen shook the ark. It caused Uzzah to put his hand up to steady it, and he touched the ark and died.

Let's think about this... There is no telling what the road was like at that position. We only know that the ark was shaking. It was obviously on a wagon, and it's size is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet as a rectangular box, and must've been heavy.

Could it be that he put his hand to it as a reaction? If you are walking or riding close to something that big and important, and it's about to fall in your direction, the first instinct without thinking is to put your hand up. The Bible doesn't say that was Uzzah's action (an unintentional reaction), but it could have been.

Even if it wasn't like that, if it's about to fall, it's still a good intention to put your hand up to steady such an important item.

The problem is God said don't touch it, and he did! It's speculation whether it was intentional or reactionary, but it's reasonable to assume either way.

David got mad about it, and the scripture says because God (not Uzzah) "breached".

"Breach" means to failure to keep or observe a law, agreement or code of conduct. Well, God didn't fail to keep the law and he kept his agreement:Uzzah died. So David was upset because be believed it was bad conduct on God's part. Yes, that's right! Go back and read it again!

Funny thing is, God didn't get upset or punish David because of his anger towards him. Still scared the Dickens out of David though!

I know this post is long, but here is the main point, and what I want to discuss: Uzzah (whether it was reactionary or planned) was trying to do a good thing. And on the surface, I can't blame him. Who would also try to keep such an important item safe? Uzzah was the chosen of the chosen (2 out of 30,000) for some reason! In his place, what would you have done when the most holiest thing in the world (at the time) was about to fall over, and even possibly crush you as well?

I understand this is all speculative, but at least consider it as a possibility, because it isn't an unreasonable possibility.

The ark was about to fall. The oxen shook it. But it never did fall! There is no way of knowing if it would've had not Uzzah braced it, EXCEPT that God said not to! Thus, I concluded that while it looked like God needed Uzzah's help (and he was appointed to that position), he didn't need Uzzah's help! The ark was not going to fall, and even if it did, God didn't need his help and Uzzah was not obeying what God said!

God don't need your help with Grace either! Your actions will only make it worse!

God gave law in Numbers 4:15. God is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Given Uzzah had good intentions, and he was just reacting, and he touched the Ark and nothing happened, that may have inspired doubt? That may have lead to people not fearing God? A fear of God is a good thing. Fear of God takes away takes away fear of man. You are doing the right things? What do you have to fear? Uzzah may have been lacking in a fear of God?

There has been an old adage "The path to hell was paved with good intentions."

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There is speculation that the arc's design would have it act like a capacitor. Touching it would result in an electrical discharge, regardless of if someone is worthy of death or not.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is speculation that the arc's design would have it act like a capacitor. Touching it would result in an electrical discharge, regardless of if someone is worthy of death or not.

Didn't the Philistines carry it by hand when they took possession of it? Asking because I am not 100% sure they carried it by hand or had it taken by oxen.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I have only just found this thread!

I have always felt sorry for Uzzah...because the fault lay at Davids door , not Uzzah's.

It was David who gave direction for the Ark of the Covenant to be put on a cart and drawn by oxen!!! When it is said very clearly ( as @amadeus mentioned) the only the Levites should carry the Ark..the Levites were sanctified...and the gold rings were on the sides of the Ark for the staves to be through them when transporting it.

So my beef is with David..he caused Uzzah's death.
But, God Way is God's way...He couldn't make an exception when Uzzah touched the Ark however well intended Uzzah's actions were.

A good lesson to us, as you said in your post...We so often think that God needs our help...and indeed, He does work though us on this planet...
Yet the thing is 'We work by the ear'...by hearing the word from God about how when what and why...( not always a 'why' :) )
When we do something of our own whim or our own volition it is 9 times out of 10 nothing but dead works ..and can cause more trouble than good.
( like that street preaching thread)

Abraham found this out when he "got an Ishmael" rather than an Issac ...
We so often end up with an Ishmael in our life when we put our hand to try and make God's Plan work in our way.

Im sure we will all be giving Uzzah a hard time when we see him...he teaches us a good lesson Haha!!

............H

Reactions: amadeus and FHII