The Five Points of Calvinism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

David N. Steele & Curtis C. Thomas

Total Depravity

Because of the fall, man is unable of himself to savingly believe the gospel. The sinner is dead, blind, and deaf to the things of God; his heart is deceitful and desperately corrupt. His will is not free, it is in bondage to his evil nature; therefore, he will not--indeed he cannot--choose good over evil in the spiritual realm. Consequently, it takes much more than the Spirit's assistance to bring a sinner to Christ--it takes regeneration by which the Spirit makes the sinner alive and gives him a new nature. Faith is not something man contributes to salvation but is itself a part of God's gift of salvation--it is God's gift to the sinner, not the sinner’s gift to God.

(Genesis 2:15-17, Romans 5:12, Psalm 51:5, 1 Corinthians 2:14, Romans 3:10-18, Jeremiah 17:9, John 6:44, Ephesians 2:1-10)

Unconditional Election

God's choice of certain individuals unto salvation before the foundation of the world rested solely in His own sovereign will. His choice of particular sinners was not based on any foreseen response or obedience on their part, such as faith, repentance, etc. On the contrary, God gives faith and repentance to each individual whom He selected. These acts are the result, not the cause of God's choice. Election therefore was not determined by or conditioned upon any virtuous quality or act foreseen in man. Those whom God sovereignly elected He brings through the power of the Spirit to a willing acceptance of Christ. Thus God's choice of the sinner, not the sinner’s choice of Christ, is the ultimate cause of salvation.

(Romans 9:10-21, Ephesians 1:4-11, Ephesians 2:4-10, Romans 8:29-30, Acts 11:18, Acts 13:48)

Limited Atonement

Christ's redeeming work was intended to save the elect only and actually secured salvation for them. His death was a substitutionary endurance of the penalty of sin in the place of certain specified sinners. In addition to putting away the sins of His people, Christ's redemption secured everything necessary for their salvation, including faith which united them to Him. The gift of faith is infallibly applied by the Spirit to all for whom Christ died, thereby guaranteeing their salvation.

(Matthew 1:21, Romans 5:12-21, Romans 3:21-26, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5-6, Philippians 1:6, John 10:11-30, John 17:6-12, Romans 8:28-30, John 6:44, Acts 20:28)

Irresistible Grace

In addition to the outward general call to salvation which is made to everyone who hears the gospel, the Holy Spirit extends to the elect a special inward call that inevitably brings them to salvation. The external call (which is made to all without distinction) can be, and often is, rejected; whereas the internal call (which is made only to the elect) cannot be rejected, it always results in conversion. By means of this special call the Spirit irresistibly draws sinners to Christ. He is not limited in His work of applying salvation by man's will, nor is He dependent upon man's cooperation for success. The Spirit graciously causes the elect sinner to cooperate, to believe, to repent, to come freely and willingly to Christ. God's grace, therefore, is invincible; it never fails to result in the salvation of those to whom it is extended.

(John 3:16, Matthew 22:14, Acts 17:29-31, Matthew 23:37-39, John 6:44, Romans 8:28-30, John 1:12-13, John 3:1-8, Ephesians 2:8-10)

Perseverance of the Saints

All who were chosen by God, redeemed by Christ, and given faith by the Spirit are eternally saved. They are kept in faith by the power of Almighty God and thus persevere to the end.

(John 3:16, John 6:35-40, John 6:44, Philippians 1:6, Philippians 2:12-13, Jude 24-25, Ephesians 1:13-14, Romans 8:28-30, Romans 8:35-39)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Total Depravity

This is false. The word is weakness. It's not that we can't imagine the good....it's that we are too weak to do it.
Unconditional Election

Again false. Salvation is always conditional to having a right attitude....and that attitude is not in thinking how saved we are.

Limited Atonement

Again...wrong. Jesus died for the sins of the whole world. The difference is in the willingness to die in order to partake of Christ's resurrection life. So it is about life in the Spirit.
Irresistible Grace

Grace can indeed be resisted....and it too often is. We frustrate the grace of God so often. We choose law and judgment over grace.
Perseverance of the Saints

A saint perseveres....that's what makes a saint...perseverance. But Calvin had it backwards...we can only become saints through trials and......perseverance through these trials.

D

Dave L

This is false. The word is weakness. It's not that we can't imagine the good....it's that we are too weak to do it.

Again false. Salvation is always conditional to having a right attitude....and that attitude is not in thinking how saved we are.

Again...wrong. Jesus died for the sins of the whole world. The difference is in the willingness to die in order to partake of Christ's resurrection life. So it is about life in the Spirit.

Grace can indeed be resisted....and it too often is. We frustrate the grace of God so often. We choose law and judgment over grace.

A saint perseveres....that's what makes a saint...perseverance. But Calvin had it backwards...we can only become saints through trials and......perseverance through these trials.
I'm not a Calvinist per se but think the first three points are solidly based on scripture.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not a Calvinist per se but think the first three points are solidly based on scripture.

The post it dear dave, dear dave post it to fit it in facts. Just do not tell us your opinion, back it up with the evidence to justify your POV.

Reactions: Nancy
D

Dave L

The post it dear dave, dear dave post it to fit it in facts. Just do not tell us your opinion, back it up with the evidence to justify your POV.
How about you proving what I've posted along with scripture references - wrong if you can?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How about you proving what I've posted along with scripture references - wrong if you can?

Dave, if I had spent the time that you seem to have spent in forming your understand, then I would have provided the evidence that allowed you to postulate your POV so that it does not become a "he said" vs. "they said" thread based on yours and their opinions.

Sadly Dave we get the feeling that you are a "prick" who might be Knowledgeable, without seeing the evidence that you really do know your stuff. The evidence that you post reinforces the notion that you really are a "prick".

D

Dave L

Dave, if I had spent the time that you seem to have spent in forming your understand, then I would have provided the evidence that allowed you to postulate your POV so that it does not become a "he said" vs. "they said" thread based on yours and their opinions.

Sadly Dave we get the feeling that you are a "prick" who might be Knowledgeable, without seeing the evidence that you really do know your stuff. The evidence that you post reinforces the notion that you really are a prick.
If you have issues with the 5 points, now's your chance to prove em wrong. Go ahead and take a swing....

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you have issues with the 5 points, now's your chance to prove em wrong. Go ahead and take a swing....

Dave are you so thick that you cannot understand what I am saying. I have no interest in this topic to spend the hours necessary to form an opinion as to whether or not your hypothesis is correct. You seem to be a person who only posts in threads where you are knowledgeable about the topic, otherwise you would not have started the thread without posting the basis of your argument to substantiate your hypothesis.

That is why I am asking you to post the basis of your POV, so that I can possibly learn from your study.

Sadly what I am receiving from you is a smelly flatulence from the wrong orifice which is not suitable for learning from.

Are you getting the picture now?

D

Dave L

Dave are you so thick that you cannot understand what I am saying. I have no interest in this topic to spend the hours necessary to form an opinion as to whether or not your hypothesis is correct. You seem to be a person who only posts in threads where you are knowledgeable about the topic, otherwise you would not have started the thread without posting the basis of your argument to substantiate your hypothesis.

That is why I am asking you to post the basis of your POV, so that I can possibly learn from your study.

Sadly what I am receiving from you is a smelly flatulence from the wrong orifice which is not suitable for learning from.
Don't read the 5 points if you have free will.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Total Depravity

Because of the fall, man is unable of himself to savingly believe the gospel. The sinner is dead, blind, and deaf to the things of God; his heart is deceitful and desperately corrupt. His will is not free, it is in bondage to his evil nature; therefore, he will not--indeed he cannot--choose good over evil in the spiritual realm. Consequently, it takes much more than the Spirit's assistance to bring a sinner to Christ--it takes regeneration by which the Spirit makes the sinner alive and gives him a new nature. Faith is not something man contributes to salvation but is itself a part of God's gift of salvation--it is God's gift to the sinner, not the sinner’s gift to God.

After regeneration and being born again, do Calvinists believe we are still totally depraved until Jesus comes, or are we dead to sin and actually righteous? And I don't mean just imputed righteousness, but act righteous in our outward lives and inward thoughts? Or are we still totally depraved, sin our heads off, but are forgiven and saved?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Have you ever read the 5 points before denouncing them?
Good point; so many ppl denounce without reading them and weighing them from Scripture.

I do also think there are strong Scripture evidences for human responsibility as well as for divine sovereignty.

D

Dave L

@Dave L PS: Here is a verse which balances both truths: divine sovereignty and human responsibility:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." (John 6.37)
It's like saying whoever is starving and comes to my restaurant I will in no way cast out.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's like saying whoever is starving and comes to my restaurant I will in no way cast out.
When ppl denounce the 5 Points - which may be backed up with copious Scripture - it's as if the denunciations have little to do with Scripture, and a lot to do with an apparent determination to reject them.

Reactions: Dave L