The Genesis Flood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

magman

May 8, 2011
I think for people to understand why God destroyed the world, read Gen 6v 1-8, eg, the giants etc, and then in Gen 8v21 where God promises not to destroy the world again.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

You guys don't understand the reason for the flood of Noah. It wasn't just because of sin; it was to destroy the progeny of the son of God (fallen Angels) that had children by the daughters of man. They were giants and evil men.

"The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.” - Genesis 6: 5-7

-- According to scripture this is the ONLY reason God decided to have the flood.

To state that there is any other reason is an unsupported, non-Biblical claim.

To claim something along the lines of what you claim shows a complete lack of knowledge of God's Word, meaning God Himself.

Reactions: Rach1370

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
d, you will never understand the end if you don't understand the beginning. You will not know who the enemy army is, they are coming back.

The enemy is the powers of darkness. Not humans. If you kill every other human the powers of darkness will still oppress you.

I think for people to understand why God destroyed the world, read Gen 6v 1-8, eg, the giants etc, and then in Gen 8v21 where God promises not to destroy the world again.
God only promised not to destroy the world again by flood. He certainly will destroy it again. And the time is at hand.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
I am curious as to how many of you believe the Genesis Flood to be a literal event. I'm not saying it's a matter of salvation. The Flood is well documented throughout the Bible so it is certainly important or God wouldn't have repeated this several times in His Word, and yet some who profess to be Christian deny it to be literal. It clearly illustrates the severity of God upon the unrepentant. The Biblical description of the Flood is incredible. I believe God had a very important purpose in the Flood, "making them an example". There were obviously a LOT of humans whom Jesus drowned. We cannot even imagine large numbers of people, including children, babies, elderly, etc. being drowned by Jesus/God. How many of you really believe this actually happened? I do. Jesus did, but of course He was the One who drowned them.

Matthew 24:37-39 (ESV)
[sup]37 [/sup]For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. [sup]38 [/sup]For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, [sup]39 [/sup]and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Hi Duckybill,

It seems the geological evidence overwhelmingly supports a flood scenario, both in the heavens (i.e, Venus and Mars), and on earth. In fact where I work there was extensive Ground Penetrating Radar mapping of the valley which is now silted over with sand. Lo and behold, under the sand there's apparently a horse shoe falls which subsequently feeds a larger falls which recedes upstream much like Niagara. And of course, that larger falls dug a deep hole into the base of that bedrock.

But more importantly, I have consistently found that Scripture in inherently accurate to the very dots and tittles. In fact I have not found a single instance where Scripture is perfectly [not ] correct, -- except for example where the writer had no point of reference (i.e., describing a tank or helicopter) and used other depictive text.

BibleScribe

Edit: Brain lapse, and correction made, to reflect that Scripture has proven to me to be absolutely correct, and any suggestion to the contrary would defy everything I know about GODs Word.

Thanks Duckybill for noticing my mis-statement! :)

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA

I haven't found a single instance where Scripture is incorrect. God is always right.

To All,
DB is EXACTLY CORRECT in his assessment, and my comment to the contrary was simply a brain malfunction! :D

I've made the editing change, and send my best to DB for his/her correction! :)

BibleScribe

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
To All,
DB is EXACTLY CORRECT in his assessment, and my comment to the contrary was simply a brain malfunction! :D

I've made the editing change, and send my best to DB for his/her correction! :)

BibleScribe
Thanks!!!! for clarifying!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Duckybill,

It seems the geological evidence overwhelmingly supports a flood scenario, both in the heavens (i.e, Venus and Mars), and on earth. In fact where I work there was extensive Ground Penetrating Radar mapping of the valley which is now silted over with sand. Lo and behold, under the sand there's apparently a horse shoe falls which subsequently feeds a larger falls which recedes upstream much like Niagara. And of course, that larger falls dug a deep hole into the base of that bedrock.

But more importantly, I have consistently found that Scripture in inherently accurate to the very dots and tittles. In fact I have not found a single instance where Scripture is perfectly [not ] correct, -- except for example where the writer had no point of reference (i.e., describing a tank or helicopter) and used other depictive text.

BibleScribe

Edit: Brain lapse, and correction made, to reflect that Scripture has proven to me to be absolutely correct, and any suggestion to the contrary would defy everything I know about GODs Word.

Thanks Duckybill for noticing my mis-statement! :)

[font="'Book Antiqua"]Really? Why is there nothing in today’s fossils’ DNA record to indicate that every species of life on earth is descended from one, seven, or in the humans’ case three breeding pairs? [/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]
[/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]According to the Bible’s chronology, the Flood took place in 2348 BCE. The Great Pyramid in Egypt was built between 2600 and 2500 BCE, and Stonehenge, in England, was also completed around 2500 BCE.
Why does neither the Great Pyramid nor Stonehenge bear any trace of having been submerged for most of a year? Why wasn’t the Stone Age cave art in Lascaux, France, washed away, or the ancient pottery of China, Japan, and India destroyed?

[/font]

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Really? Why is there nothing in today’s fossils’ DNA record to indicate that every species of life on earth is descended from one, seven, or in the humans’ case three breeding pairs? According to the Bible’s chronology, the Flood took place in 2348 BCE. The Great Pyramid in Egypt was built between 2600 and 2500 BCE, and Stonehenge, in England, was also completed around 2500 BCE.
Why does neither the Great Pyramid nor Stonehenge bear any trace of having been submerged for most of a year? Why wasn’t the Stone Age cave art in Lascaux, France, washed away, or the ancient pottery of China, Japan, and India destroyed?

You say you believe in Jesus/God. You should be finding out why Jesus believed in the Genesis Flood, unless you think Jesus was/is wrong.

[sup]37 [/sup]For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. [sup]38 [/sup]For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, [sup]39 [/sup]and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
[font="'Book Antiqua"]Really? Why is there nothing in today’s fossils’ DNA record to indicate that every species of life on earth is descended from one, seven, or in the humans’ case three breeding pairs? [/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]
[/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]According to the Bible’s chronology, the Flood took place in 2348 BCE. The Great Pyramid in Egypt was built between 2600 and 2500 BCE, and Stonehenge, in England, was also completed around 2500 BCE.

[/font]

We will discover that The Great Pyramid is far older than that.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You say you believe in Jesus/God. You should be finding out why Jesus believed in the Genesis Flood, unless you think Jesus was/is wrong.

I am trying to take the Bible literally, Ducky.

Jesus never said that the Flood story was right or wrong.

You seem to be the one who has made it a requirement for the Flood story to have actually occurred - not the Bible or Jesus.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Dear All,

I love the TRUTH of Scripture. It offers technical, scientific, moral, prophetic, and wisdom information. I find it wholly complete and perfectly accurate. And in this regard I offer the following wisdom:

Proverbs 26
[sup]4[/sup] Answer not a fool according to his folly ...

BibleScribe

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Jesus never said that the Flood story was right or wrong.
It's getting quite difficult to take you seriously Aspen. If you can't believe such a simple statement by Jesus how can you believe anything in the Bible???
You seem to be the one who has made it a requirement for the Flood story to have actually occurred - not the Bible or Jesus.
When God gives us such a terrifying example to warn us of living ungodly, it pays to take Him seriously.

2 Peter 2:4-6 (ESV)
[sup]4 [/sup]For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; [sup]5 [/sup]if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; [sup]6 [/sup]if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's getting quite difficult to take you seriously Aspen. If you can't believe such a simple statement by Jesus how can you believe anything in the Bible???

When God gives us such a terrifying example to warn us of living ungodly, it pays to take Him seriously.

2 Peter 2:4-6 (ESV)
[sup]4 [/sup]For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; [sup]5 [/sup]if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; [sup]6 [/sup]if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;

I believe Jesus's teachings - He chose to reference the Flood myth for a reason. Morality tales are common tools for teaching people right from wrong.

Dear All,

I love the TRUTH of Scripture. It offers technical, scientific, moral, prophetic, and wisdom information. I find it wholly complete and perfectly accurate. And in this regard I offer the following wisdom:

Proverbs 26
[sup]4[/sup] Answer not a fool according to his folly ...

BibleScribe

Does this mean that you are not going to allow facts to get in the way of your beliefs?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I believe Jesus's teachings - He chose to reference the Flood myth for a reason. Morality tales are common tools for teaching people right from wrong.
The Flood myth? I thought Jesus and Peter were supposed to be highly regarded in Catholicism. But you're saying they taught myths. Perhaps salvation is only a myth too?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Flood myth? I thought Jesus and Peter were supposed to be highly regarded in Catholicism. But you're saying they taught myths. Perhaps salvation is only a myth too?

Myth: a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains somepractice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
[font="Verdana][size="2"]
[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]A myth is not a lie.
[/size][/font]

Why are you presenting a false dichotomy? If Jesus and Paul taught myths they must not be highly regarded in the Catholic Church........

BTW, referencing the Flood myth is not 'teaching' it.

Why are you claiming that the Flood Myth has to be a real event to be considered valuable?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
[font="Verdana][color="#333333"][font="Verdana][color="#333333"][font="Verdana]Myth: a[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]traditional[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]or[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]legendary[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]story,[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]usually[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]concerning[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]some [/font][/color][color="#333333"][font="Verdana]being[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]or[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]hero[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]or[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]event,[/font][/color] [b][color="#333333"][font="Verdana]with[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]or[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]without[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]a[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]determinable[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]basis [/font][/color][color="#333333"][font="Verdana]of[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]fact[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]or[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]a[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]natural[/font][/color] [/b][color="#333333"][font="Verdana][b]explanation[/b],[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]especially[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]one[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]that[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]is [/font][/color][color="#333333"][font="Verdana]concerned[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]with[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]deities[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]or[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]demigods[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]and[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]explains[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]some[/font][/color][color="#333333"][font="Verdana]practice,[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]rite,[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]or[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]phenomenon[/font][/color] [color="#333333"][font="Verdana]of[/font][/color] [/font][/color][url="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nature"]nature[/url][/font][font="Verdana][color="#333333"][font="Verdana].[/font][/color][/font][/color][/size][font="Verdana][size="3"] [/font] [font="Verdana][size="3"]A myth is not a lie.
[/size][/font]
Why are you presenting a false dichotomy? If Jesus and Paul taught myths they must not be highly regarded in the Catholic Church........

BTW, referencing the Flood myth is not 'teaching' it.

Why are you claiming that the Flood Myth has to be a real event to be considered valuable?

Why are you claiming it to be myth? Scripture please. There are several Bible accounts of the Flood. Please tell us where it says it was a myth. Is there any part of the Bible you believe to be true?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[font="'Book Antiqua"]Why are you claiming it to be myth?
[/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]1. It fits the definition of a myth.
2. Four people could not have built and Ark of that size, using Bronze Age technology; nor could they have managed the animals for the year and a half they were in the Ark. Also, all the species of animals could not have traveled the distance to get to the Ark.

Scripture please.

The Bible does not claim the Flood Myth to be an actual event in history or simply a myth. All myths from antiquity are presented in the same manner - only the Enlightened Western mind gets stuck on whether the story really happened or not. It is not the point of the story.

Is there any part of the Bible you believe to be true?

It is all true. Not all of it really happened.
[/font]

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Aspen, I am rapidly losing any respect I had for Catholicism. Your contempt for God's Word is sad indeed.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen, I am rapidly losing any respect I had for Catholicism. Your contempt for God's Word is sad indeed.

When did you have respect for Catholicism? Why are you basing your beliefs about Catholicism on the opinions of a person you've never met? Why do you expect me to answer your questions, but rarely answer mine? Where is the contempt in my post?