The Gift of Tongues: its General Availability, Purpose, and Power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

That is not what you said and the meaning of the verse has nothing to do with what you are claiming.
It means your "gift" is phony because the original tongue speakers knew what they were saying.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If tongues were to cease at the end of the world, why would Paul need to mention it? If they were to cease anyway? With everything else?

Paul said; “so that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye be unreproveable in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 1:7)

Notice the Revelation would also confirm them to the end. So they would not seek the gifts until the end. But only until the Revelation of Christ.

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John;” (Revelation 1:1)

So he was saying the gifts would expire with the Revelation of Jesus Christ that we now know was written by John in either 60 or 90 AD.

All of the gifts expired, and history confirms this, as John published Revelation.

602. ἀποκάλυψις apŏkalupsis, ap-ok-al´-oop-sis; from 601; disclosure:—appearing, coming, lighten, manifestation, be revealed, revelation.

Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 1, p. 14).

used for Revelation of Jesus Christ by Paul and John

Now consider Paul of the second coming of Christ:

“Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely. And may your spirit, soul, and body be kept sound and blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

Coming = παρουσία, Parousia = 15.86 παρέρχομαιb; παραγίνομαιa; πάρειμιb; παρουσίαb, ας f; παρίσταμαιe (and 2nd aorist active): to come to be present at a particular place—‘to come, to arrive, to come to be present.’

All of the gifts expired. Ok, explain this one. The son of a friend of mine went to a meeting with one of his friends. His friend only had one hand. At the end of the meeting, this young man took his friend out to the front of the meeting for prayer. As the evangelist was praying over the people who had come forward he watched his friend grow another hand.

According to you that never happened.

D

Dave L

All of the gifts expired. Ok, explain this one. The son of a friend of mine went to a meeting with one of his friends. His friend only had one hand. At the end of the meeting, this young man took his friend out to the front of the meeting for prayer. As the evangelist was praying over the people who had come forward he watched his friend grow another hand.

According to you that never happened.
I believe in Divine healing. Have laid hands on people myself and performed deliverance. But the Charismatic gifts expired with the Apostles.

D

Dave L

So your evidence is one Pentecostal?

Brother, please stop insulting us all and expecting us to believe that one Pentecostal is evidence.
I'm making light saying It's hard to swallow the hype coming from one let alone thousands. I've been around a thousand or more for years.

Reactions: marksman

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe in Divine healing. Have laid hands on people myself and performed deliverance. But the Charismatic gifts expired with the Apostles.

That comment alone shows how ignorant you are. healing is one of the nine gifts of the spirit.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm making light saying It's hard to swallow the hype coming from one let alone thousands. I've been around a thousand or more for years.
But you said one. You did not say thousands. So which is it?

D

Dave L

Evidence please.
“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:22–23)

The profile fits Charismatics, not the church.