The Gift of Tongues: its General Availability, Purpose, and Power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Thank you. I have been doing that for a long time as I have a tendency to think rather than conjecture or spout what others have told me I have to believe.
You need to have scripture tell you what to believe. Have you ever studied the roots of Pentecostalism in 1900s America? Some pretty seed characters involved.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You need to have scripture tell you what to believe. Have you ever studied the roots of Pentecostalism in 1900s America? Some pretty seed characters involved.

Church history has been one of my favorite subjects. I did a thesis for a Ph.D in church history and have studied all the major denominations and I have several volumes that I own that cover church history from the day of Pentecost.

Fortunately, I approached the subject without prejudice and blinkered thoughts so I was able to gain a lot of insight and knowledge. So important if you want to write on topics that are not lopsided and biased.

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Church history has been one of my favorite subjects. I did a thesis for a Ph.D in church history and have studied all the major denominations and I have several volumes that I own that cover church history from the day of Pentecost.

Fortunately, I approached the subject without prejudice and blinkered thoughts so I was able to gain a lot of insight and knowledge. So important if you want to write on topics that are not lopsided and biased.
Quite a history of scandal there depending on your resources. Lots of glossing over too.

D

Dave L

@marksman Since you are into church history, do you have anything on the voodoo element in early Pentecostalism? I'm interested in learning more about this.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not really. I did a study of revival whilst I was at bible college. One phrase stuck in my mind and it was this....

If you don't want revival you won't have it. if you want revival you will get it.

The same with the gifts of the spirit. If you don't want them you won't get them. If you do want them you will be given them.

Nail right on the head!! Agree.
God is a gentleman, He pushed nothing upon anyone.

We seek the Father and all that He has He will give willingly.
Our eye is on the Giver, not the gift.

D

Dave L

Nail right on the head!! Agree.
God is a gentleman, He pushed nothing upon anyone.

We seek the Father and all that He has He will give willingly.
Our eye is on the Giver, not the gift.
I agree, but scripture out paces the gifts, doing completely what they could only do in part.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It means your "gift" is phony because the original tongue speakers knew what they were saying.

You have said this often Dave...why?
Where does it say that?

I have not met any one who "knows what they are saying"....
That is why we speak in tongues in the service and the member with the gift of interpretation then speaks it out for the assembly. Every joint supplying.

In private we pray in tongues, we do not know what we are saying...we can have a strong understand whether it is a prayer burden, or a overflowing of joy and thanksgiving to The Father...

Paul says in the church he spoke with the understanding..he was a teacher..but he also said "I speak in tongues more than ye all..."
Even a 8 yr old can see that if he spoke with the understanding in the meetings , then his speaking in tongues 'more than ye all' was in Paul's private life.

I have understood why you threw it all out. You had foolish and immature teachers. 'you were ruined' for the gifts..they will answer for that.

But why you hit those of us so brutally hard which did not have idiot shepherds like you...I don't understand.
Just because I got sold a bad egg, I would not go around telling everyone I met that all eggs are bad. :(

D

Dave L

You have said this often Dave...why?
Where does it say that?

I have not met any one who "knows what they are saying"....
That is why we speak in tongues in the service and the member with the gift of interpretation then speaks it out for the assembly. Every joint supplying.

In private we pray in tongues, we do not know what we are saying...we can have a strong understand whether it is a prayer burden, or a overflowing of joy and thanksgiving to The Father...

Paul says in the church he spoke with the understanding..he was a teacher..but he also said "I speak in tongues more than ye all..."
Even a 8 yr old can see that if he spoke with the understanding in the meetings , then his speaking in tongues 'more than ye all' was in Paul's private life.

I have understood why you threw it all out. You had foolish and immature teachers. 'you were ruined' for the gifts..they will answer for that.

But why you hit those of us so brutally hard which did not have idiot shepherds like you...I don't understand.
Just because I got sold a bad egg, I would not go around telling everyone I met that all eggs are bad. :(
The original gift of tongues edified the speaker because they understood what they were saying. And needed to interpret so the rest could understand and be edified.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The original gift of tongues edified the speaker because they understood what they were saying. And needed to interpret so the rest could understand and be edified.

Oh Dave, whatever you say...

....and what you say is repetitive and unconvincing. :oops:

Reactions: marksman