The Godly Heresy of Sinless Perfectionism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Real perfectionism was taught by John Wesley and his followers, and also by Charles Finney and some influenced by him. Wesleyans have called this doctrine “Christian Perfection,” and connected it with the experience of a “second work of grace” after regeneration which essentially negates the power of the old sinful nature in the believer. ... The distinction between Wesleyan and Oberlin perfectionism could be simplified (perhaps oversimplified) by saying that Wesley emphasized the work of God in the perfecting of a life, and Finney gave weight to the ability of man to obey God’s law. In either version of the doctrine, sinless perfection asserts that Christians can live sinless lives. Except for the very few who regard themselves as Wesleyan, Fundamentalists do not teach this doctrine.
The question, then, is "Does God actually give this second work of Grace?"

Some testify to having experienced this second work of Grace, if only for limited periods of time. I have not, but I must concede that "With God, all things are possible".

And I can say from 45 years experience in Methodist churches that Methodists no longer teach this particular Wesleyan doctrine. Sin is assumed and Confession of sin is built into the Liturgy.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Have you attained entire sanctification in this life?

Have you reached absolute perfection in this life?

The born again believer has received God's Holiness.
So, you cant become more Holy, then to have become "made righteous" as "the righteousness of God in Christ".

Paul said that the believers are to become on earth, "the fullness of the stature of Christ", and in heaven, they become completely "conformed to the image of Christ".

Salvation is more then just forgiveness and eternal life.
It is the means whereby God, lives HIS Holiness thought the person.
"i can do all things through Christ"......and "it is not i who lives but Christ who lives in me"
And to teach that this can't be so, when in fact that is EXACTLY how to live holy as a perfected discipleship = is to teach a deception on a public forum.
Not a good idea.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I am seeking to honor God’s Word in what it says. The Bible teaches us to be perfect, but he appears to have a problem with that.
He calls Sinless Perfection a heresy.
well, to that i would say that Be perfect, as I am perfect might involve a different standard than we humans imagine, re the “little kid” thing i said there above

Reactions: amadeus

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say to ANY doctrine that is outside the word of God, it is ALL heretical.

I do not care which is your denomination, your institution, your local building, nor your organization, ONLY whether the word of God is the authority of your practices and precepts followed!

 IF it is NOT, then take account of your soul. Be sure whether you've been redeemed or if you're lost due to your choice of belief system and pray God will show you the TRUTH in his word and have you come out from among them!

Too many are still stuck in the principles of the doctrines of Christ and are babies. There has been no moving in growth and failure to thrive has occurred.
It is time bc of his leading and your choice, to grow up in God and stand on a FIRM foundation!

Reactions: marks and Pearl

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
well, to that i would say that Be perfect, as I am perfect might involve a different standard than we humans imagine, re the “little kid” thing i said there above

God's Righteousness is God's standard.
Only God can meet it.
The law and commandments were given to you, to show you that you can't do it.....and this knowledge leads you to the CROSS where God can give you HIS Righteousness.

See, to accept a HUMAN, fallen, sinful.....God has to give you His righteousness, so that He can accept you

This is why God as Christ died on the Cross.
Its to deal with your sin, and to provide you with God's Righteousness.

WELCOME TO SALVATION !! = its "the GIFT of RIGHTEOUSNESS".

Reactions: Pearl

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I am not perfect by any means but in God's eyes I am righteous because of the blood of the Lamb.
You are correct in saying we are not perfect yet.....

Php 3:12 Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.
Php 3:13 I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Php 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward.
Php 3:15 So let those [of us] who are spiritually mature and full-grown have this mind and hold these convictions; and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also.
Php 3:16 Only let us hold true to what we have already attained and walk and order our lives by that.

Yet some here have already obtained, in this life, in the sarki, absolute perfection-ism...diametrically opposed to what Paul is saying.

J.
The born again believer has received God's Holiness.
So, you cant become more Holy, then to have become "made righteous" as "the righteousness of God in Christ".

Paul said that the believers are to become on earth, "the fullness of the stature of Christ", and in heaven, they become completely "conformed to the image of Christ".

Salvation is more then just forgiveness and eternal life.
It is the means whereby God, lives HIS Holiness thought the person.
"i can do all things through Christ"......and "it is not i who lives but Christ who lives in me"
And to teach that this can't be so, when in fact that is EXACTLY how to live holy as a perfected discipleship = is to teach a deception on a public forum.
Not a good idea.
Php 3:12 Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.
Php 3:13 I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Php 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward.
Php 3:15 So let those [of us] who are spiritually mature and full-grown have this mind and hold these convictions; and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also.
Php 3:16 Only let us hold true to what we have already attained and walk and order our lives by that.

Rom 8:23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves too, who have and enjoy the firstfruits of the [Holy] Spirit [a foretaste of the blissful things to come] groan inwardly as we wait for the redemption of our bodies [from sensuality and the grave, which will reveal] our adoption (our manifestation as God's sons).
AMPC

The apostle did not consider that he was already perfected. Perfected refers not to the resurrection in the previous verse, but to the whole subject of conformity to Christ. He had no idea that it was possible to achieve a state of sinlessness or to arrive at a condition in life where no further progress could be achieved. He realized that “satisfaction is the grave of progress.”

Bad idea to promote sinless perfection when not even Paul could claim that.

The one promulgating sinless perfection should not be on a public forum.

J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
...a process, called sanctification till our final redemption, to wit, the redemption of our bodies...

J.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
...a process, called sanctification till our final redemption, to wit, the redemption of our bodies...

J.

Jesus is our redemption, justification, and our SANCTIFICATION.

That the reality for all the Born again.

What you are doing is confusing discipleship with Sanctification.

Discipleship is the walk of faith.....but Sanctification is to be "set apart"......and you dont do that with your self effort.

It is CHRIST's Blood Atonement ONLY, that has sanctified all who are born again.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
nothing wrong with that i guess Pearl, (Esau) but i would note that Yah went looking for Adam and Eve even after they had eaten the fruit, right
Yep, he came looking for me whilst I was a sinner and the blood of Jesus washed me and made me a saint. Not perfect but righteous in God's eyes because he sees Jesus in me.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What you are doing is confusing discipleship with Sanctification.
Brother, I respect you, but don't assume things about how I perceive the scriptures that aren't true....

I have shown you our brother Paul did not reached absolute perfection in his life while IN THE BODY....

Had attained - were perfect (ἔλαβον - τετελείωμαι)
Rev., have attained, am made perfect. There is a change of tenses which may be intentional; the aorist attained pointing to the definite period of his conversion, the perfect, am made perfect, referring to his present state. Neither when I became Christ's did I attain, nor, up to this time, have I been perfected. With attained supply the prize from Php_3:14. Rev., am made perfect, is preferable, as preserving the passive form of the verb.
I follow after (διώκω)
Rev., better, press on. The A.V. gives the sense of chasing; whereas the apostle's meaning is the pressing toward a fixed point. The continuous present would be better, I am pressing.
May apprehend (καταλάβω)
American Rev., lay hold on. Neither A.V. nor Rev. give the force of καὶ also; if I may also apprehend as well as pursue. For the verb, see on Joh_1:5.
For which also I am apprehended
Rev., correctly, was apprehended. American Rev., laid hold on. Paul's meaning is, “I would grasp that for which Christ grasped me. Paul's conversion was literally of the nature of a seizure. That for which Christ laid hold of him was indeed his mission to the Gentiles, but it was also his personal salvation, and it is of this that the context treats. Some render, seeing that also I was apprehended. Rev., in margin.
Vincent

Still more powerfully stated.....
Or am already made perfect (ē ēdē teteleiōmai). Perfect passive indicative (state of completion) of teleioō, old verb from teleios and that from telos (end). Paul pointedly denies that he has reached a spiritual impasse of non- development. Certainly he knew nothing of so-called sudden absolute perfection by any single experience. Paul has made great progress in Christlikeness, but the goal is still before him, not behind him.

But I press on (diōkō de). He is not discouraged, but encouraged. He keeps up the chase (real idea in diōkō, as in 1Co_14:1; Rom_9:30; 1Ti_6:11).
If so be that (ei kai). “I follow after.” The condition (third class, ei̇̇katalabō, second aorist active subjunctive of katalambanō) is really a sort of purpose clause or aim. There are plenty of examples in the Koiné[28928]š of the use of ei and the subjunctive as here (Robertson, Grammar, p. 1017), “if I also may lay hold of that for which (Ephesians' hōi, purpose expressed by epi) I was laid hold of (katelēmphthēn, first aorist passive of the same verb katalambanō) by Christ Jesus.” His conversion was the beginning, not the end of the chase.
Robertson

As to sanctification
Jesus had a lot to say about sanctification in John 17. In verse 16 the Lord says, “They are not of the world, even as I am not of it,” and this is before His request: “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth” (verse 17). In Christian theology, sanctification is a state of separation unto God; all believers enter into this state when they are born of God: “You are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption” (1 Corinthians 1:30, ESV). The sanctification mentioned in this verse is a once-for-ever separation of believers unto God. It is a work God performs, an intricate part of our salvation and our connection with Christ (Hebrews 10:10). Theologians sometimes refer to this state of holiness before God as “positional” sanctification; it is the same as justification.

While we are positionally holy (“set free from every sin” by the blood of Christ, Acts 13:39), we know that we still sin (1 John 1:10). That’s why the Bible also refers to sanctification as a practical experience of our separation unto God. “Progressive” or “experiential” sanctification, as it is sometimes called, is the effect of obedience to the Word of God in one’s life. It is the same as growing in the Lord (2 Peter 3:18) or spiritual maturity. God started the work of making us like Christ, and He is continuing it (Philippians 1:6). This type of sanctification is to be pursued by the believer earnestly (1 Peter 1:15; Hebrews 12:14) and is effected by the application of the Word (John 17:17). Progressive sanctification has in view the setting apart of believers for the purpose for which they are sent into the world: “As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified” (John 17:18–19). That Jesus set Himself apart for God’s purpose is both the basis and the condition of our being set apart (see John 10:36). We are sanctified and sent because Jesus was. Our Lord’s sanctification is the pattern of and power for our own. The sending and the sanctifying are inseparable. On this account we are called “saints” (hagioi in the Greek), or “sanctified ones.” Prior to salvation, our behavior bore witness to our standing in the world in separation from God, but now our behavior should bear witness to our standing before God in separation from the world. Little by little, every day, “those who are being sanctified” (Hebrews 10:14, ESV) are becoming more like Christ.

There is a third sense in which the word sanctification is used in Scripture—a “complete” or “ultimate” sanctification. This is the same as glorification. Paul prays in 1 Thessalonians 5:23, “May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (ESV). Paul speaks of Christ as “the hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27) and links the glorious appearing of Christ to our personal glorification: “When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory” (Colossians 3:4). This glorified state will be our ultimate separation from sin, a total sanctification in every regard. “We know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is” (1 John 3:2).

To summarize, “sanctification” is a translation of the Greek word hagiasmos, meaning “holiness” or “a separation.” In the past, God granted us justification, a once-for-all, positional holiness in Christ. Now, God guides us to maturity, a practical, progressive holiness. In the future, God will give us glorification, a permanent, ultimate holiness. These three phases of sanctification separate the believer from the penalty of sin (justification), the power of sin (maturity), and the presenc

I was gone for about three months, and I see this topic is still very much alive

All I can say is this, if you are perfect in word, thought and deed, can tame your tongue, then good for you, you have reached the end of your goal, your "ticket to heaven" is secured

Me, I am still running this race, with much patience, not looking to you or the other, my eyes firmly fixed upon Christ, the Author and Finisher of my faith.

It is appointed once for man to die, and after that the judgement, but I guess you guys would not be there for judgement.

Shalom
J.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
God's Righteousness is God's standard.
Only God can meet it.
The law and commandments were given to you, to show you that you can't do it.....and this knowledge leads you to the CROSS where God can give you HIS Righteousness.

See, to accept a HUMAN, fallen, sinful.....God has to give you His righteousness, so that He can accept you

This is why God as Christ died on the Cross.
Its to deal with your sin, and to provide you with God's Righteousness.

WELCOME TO SALVATION !! = its "the GIFT of RIGHTEOUSNESS".
go with all that then for now if it suits you imo; but be open to a higher calling maybe :)
For not even the Father judges anyone (!), but has given all judgement to the son

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yep, he came looking for me whilst I was a sinner and the blood of Jesus washed me and made me a saint. Not perfect but righteous in God's eyes because he sees Jesus in me.
"forgiveness" seems to be better than noting sin, seems to me.
As to the blood, i understand...we are a bloodthirsty bunch i guess

Jacob made the red stew, but i notice he didnt eat any!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The question, then, is "Does God actually give this second work of Grace?"

Some testify to having experienced this second work of Grace, if only for limited periods of time. I have not, but I must concede that "With God, all things are possible".

And I can say from 45 years experience in Methodist churches that Methodists no longer teach this particular Wesleyan doctrine. Sin is assumed and Confession of sin is built into the Liturgy.
Love you brother @Lambano

J.

Reactions: Lambano

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"forgiveness" seems to be better than noting sin, seems to me.
As to the blood, i understand...we are a bloodthirsty bunch i guess

Jacob made the red stew, but i notice he didnt eat any!
Without the blood of Jesus we are nothing. And with it we are God's children.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Without the blood of Jesus we are nothing. And with it we are God's children.
well Pearl the reality there would prolly disappoint you right now i guess, it's a really weird story i gotta admit, but the key is in the Esau cycle
Yah does not need any shed blood for your sins i dont think, hard as that might be to hear

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
well Pearl the reality there would prolly disappoint you right now i guess, it's a really weird story i gotta admit, but the key is in the Esau cycle
Yah does not need any shed blood for your sins i dont think, hard as that might be to hear
Sorry babybird but I'm sticking to what God says about me.