The Godly Heresy of Sinless Perfectionism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God intends that we should become like Him, in holiness and righteousness. That somehow it's better if we are participating in that.

Paul wrote implying that the Gospel was laid on him as a command, and therefore there was no reward to preaching the Gospel, rather, woe to him if he doesn't! So he made it his practice to support himself and his team, to share the Gospel without charge.

God gives me His Spirit Who empowers me to live holy, but His desire for me is to reach out myself and apprehend what He has given. Not to just turn my life into a proper painting, but to let me hold the brush, let me apply the stroke, let me become the artist. I'm His art, but my life is also my art.

2 Corinthians 3:18 KJV
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Beholding in a glass is looking in a mirror. As we see God's glory reflected in us we are changed into His image, literally "out of glory into glory", His becomes ours.

I've come to be fully assured of God's love for me as I see Him working in me. What He's done with me, these are things that only someone who loves me does.

I didn't come to know that in the bright and merry times, it was in the dark and hopeless times. When in another of those abject and tormented moments, when I opened my Bible to Isaiah 44, my heart sinking deeper and deeper until that culminating line,

Isaiah 44:20 KJV
He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?

I remember reading this, the words again a arrow to my soul, the words of my hopelessness. I was afraid to turn the page, to see what came next,

Isaiah 44:21-22 KJV
21) Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me.
22) I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.

I learned love for God through Isaiah.

Isaiah 44:23 KJV
23) Sing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.

My love for God has come not through the release from sin, though that be a wonderful thing! But the reality is, my love for God, my hope in Him, has come as I've seen His love for me in my dark times, as I've learned He truly loves me no matter what. And whatever darkness come into my life, that is His message to me, "return to Me, for I have redeemed you."

My thinking is that this gift of faith was given to convince me of what is possible, to give me something to get through that coming depression, more besides.

. . . still to be continued . . .

Much love!
Yes. I agree. I believe God can give us power to live that holy life. All praise and glory be unto Him.

Reactions: marks

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, It is a process. There are levels of obedience that we are accountable for to God. Those who are truly His live up to the level they are at. Philippians 3:16.
Agree.

But we strive to keep growing, never settling on less that perfect as we continuously walk in the Spirit. And as 1 John 1:7 says anything less than perfection is forgiven and cleansed as long as we are walking in the Spirit and doing those things we know we should do, like forgiving one another to keep in fellowship.
Well, 1 John 1:7 does not say that. It says if we walk in the light as he is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin. Walking in the light = Loving your brother according to the indirect wording in 1 John 2:9-11. So if we love our brother, we are walking in the light and being cleansed from all sin. Perfection does not really enter the equation in this particular topic by the apostle John. But Christians should be in a cleansing process as per 2 Corinthians 7:1 and perfecting holiness in the FEAR of God.

2 Peter 1:5-7 are the names of those levels. Verses 10-11 tell us that if we do those levels, we will never sin, and our entrance into heaven is assured.
Yes, Christians are blind if they lack these things mentioned in 2 Peter 1:5-7.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I've found is that while I consider the guilt of my sin, more sin results. When I consider the righteousness of Christ imparted to me, righteousness results.
Christ only imputes righteousness when we repent or seek forgiveness of our sins with Him and not by some mental ascent alone (While we think we can sin and still be saved on some level). It is only past sin that is forgiven. Christ also cleanses us from all sin if we walk in the light, as well (1 John 1:7). This walking in the light is loving our brother (See: 1 John 2:9-11). So if we are not loving our brother, no blood of Jesus is cleansing us.

Romans 7:5 KJV
For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Trusting fully in Jesus having reconciled me to God means there isn't Law producing the motions of sin in my members, that is, body parts.

Law provokes the flesh to sin. Being dead to the Law removes that provocation. Thinking along the lines that we are now under law is thinking from the flesh mind. If we start to think that way, the battle is already being lost. We are no longer condemned being in Christ. Thinking otherwise is not spirit.

Thinking in terms that we are accepted based on our behavior is to put ourselves under a law of our own making, and puts the responsibility on ourselves to qualify for communion with God. In truth we are qualified in Christ, and not our behavior.
Uh, no. That’s not what Paul is saying. Romans 7 is all about how we are not to be under the whole of the 613 Laws of Moses (even though certain laws have been carried over into the New Covenant laws of Christ). Romans 7:14-24 is talking about Paul’s struggle as a Pharisee in trying to keep the righteous aspect of the Old Law (like do not murder, do not steal, etc.), but he is unable to do so. Romans 7:14-24 is an account of his old life in how he could not keep God’s laws. This was before he met Jesus.

Rather than thinking I have to "clean up" to commune with God, communion with God is what cleans me up. For me the most effective way to strive against sin is to strive to enter His rest of no condemnation, all works completed, just as God completed His works, and rested. I no longer work to be accepted. I am accepted in Christ.

The pressure is off, there is no guilt or shame to hinder me from a continuing trust in Jesus that He will be living in me, empowering me to serve Him well, causing me to be loving and safe.

Sorry for so many words! You asked some questions very near to my heart!

Much love!
No. That’s not what Paul is saying. If you sin, you will die. Just believing in Jesus for salvation alone without entering the Sanctification Process will not help us. If we are in sin, there is death. Look at the Parable of the Prodigal Son. When the son came home and sought forgiveness with his father from living a prodigal life (in living it with prostitutes), he was said by his father that he was DEAD and he is ALIVE AGAIN. Obviously the prodigal son did not die physically, and so it is speaking in spiritual terms (See: Luke 15). Even Jesus warned us about how even lusting after a woman can cause us to be cast bodily into hellfire (See: Matthew 5:28-30). Paul said if you provide not for your own; especially those of your own household you have denied the faith and you are worse than an infidel (unbeliever) (See: 1 Timothy 5:8). So no. Jesus does not take away all future sin by a belief alone in Jesus and we never need to worry about coming under condemnation ever again. We are told to work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea I see it is if we fix that car so that it will not be a problem for us. Unfortunately, some think the car is unfixable in this life. But the Bible testifies we can suffer from the flesh and cease from sin (1 Peter 4:1-2). Scripture says we can cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God (2 Corinthians 7:1). God’s Word shows us that they that are Christ’s have crucified the affections and lusts (Galatians 5:24).
Fixing the car is the renewing of the mind. As we make better choices, and do righteousness, this rewrites our brain processes to become ammenable to the new life. Brain plasticity describes the process God built into us to allow this.

I find a few levels of corruption in the flesh.

Firstly we are born without a living spirit, compliments of Adam. Born spiritually dead means that all we think, do and say will be based on our own desires, nothing to do with God. The only thing that changes this is being born from above, giving us a new life joined to God.

As we are raised, all the sins of the fathers are visited on the children, so that we collect all the damage of abuse and trauma, which causes our brains to maldevelop, producing a brain hardwired for sin. This is our biological foundation, and I'm not aware that this will change after we finish developing, generally in the mid-20's.

Choices we repeatedly make build "reward circuits" in the brain, dopamine and dendrite loops that reinforce the choice.

Born dead deprives us of receiving empowerment from God. Maldeveloped brains deprive us of correct chemistry and structure (function). Reward circuits go either way, and describe the process of addiction (drug/behavioral/cognitive), with a leaning towards the flesh (a fleshy process).

We can change the reward circuits by making better choices, though we don't like it, since it goes against the reward circuit. But by choosing/acting better, we tear down those things that make us transgressors. If we start making those wrong choices again,

Galatians 2:18 KJV
For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

We put ourselves back into the same situation of having reinforced sinning until it is again a problem to stop.

In all of these, if we walk in the Spirit, none of them matter, as they are all based on our fleshy being. In the Spirit, we are living our spirit life, and in Christ, we have complete control and mastery of our fleshy being. Though God may test us by allowing that fleshy being to impact us, by it's evil desires/lusts, by it's faithless feelings and thoughts.

In those times we have to recognize (it may seem all the time) where in us this is coming from, is this my flesh? My spirit?
2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

I find 2 approaches to life.

One is walking in the Spirit, but I find it so difficult to do this consistently! It's all about trusting in Jesus. As I trust Him that He loves me, and has reconciled me, and will never condemn me, this empowers my faith, my heart opens wide to Him, and my faith is His power in my enabling a holy life producing righteous works. But I completely agree, repairs - at least to some degree - can be made in the here and now.

The second is simply to endeavor to constantly monitor my thoughts and feelings and behavior to try to enhance what is approved and shut down what is not. To practice thinking Biblically in order to brain plasticize myself into the mind of Christ. To practice the mind of Christ until this is my consistently active mind.

Both of these result in the same thing, a faith in Christ so strong that I can apprehend that for which I've been apprehended. To make the new mind of Christ my own natural mind.

The Bible indicates that the corruption of this flesh will plague us until our transformation to incorruptibility, so I don't expect the battle to truly end until our last day here.

But we can live above the corruption of our flesh,

2 Peter 1:3-4 KJV
3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

The just, by faith, they live. Or, I think it is the LXX, "The just, by My faith, they live",

1 Peter 1:3-5 KJV
3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

I've thought on these passages perhaps more than any others. A promise is to commit one's self. It's by God's Self commitment to us that we may be partakers of His nature, escaping from the corruption that is from lust, that is, the corruption we do to ourselves.

He is commited to us, Jesus Christ is made unto us sanctification, faith in that gives us access into the grace in which we stand.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh, no. That’s not what Paul is saying. Romans 7 is all about how we are not to be under the whole of the 613 Laws of Moses (even though certain laws have been carried over into the New Covenant laws of Christ). Romans 7:14-24 is talking about Paul’s struggle as a Pharisee in trying to keep the righteous aspect of the Old Law (like do not murder, do not steal, etc.), but he is unable to do so. Romans 7:14-24 is an account of his old life in how he could not keep God’s laws. This was before he met Jesus.
Check the verb tenses, and then ask yourself, does it mean what it says? Or something different?

Romans 7:17-18 KJV
17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

He tells us about his "change", when he stopped being the sinner, though sin still resided in his flesh.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ only imputes righteousness when we repent or seek forgiveness of our sins with Him and not by some mental ascent alone
To my thinking, a purely mental ascent to the Gospel does not result in rebirth, while an acceptance of the Lord Jesus, and reliance on Him does.

Much love!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.

Well, 1 John 1:7 does not say that. It says if we walk in the light as he is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin. Walking in the light = Loving your brother according to the indirect wording in 1 John 2:9-11. So if we love our brother, we are walking in the light and being cleansed from all sin. Perfection does not really enter the equation in this particular topic by the apostle John. But Christians should be in a cleansing process as per 2 Corinthians 7:1 and perfecting holiness in the FEAR of God.

Yes, Christians are blind if they lack these things mentioned in 2 Peter 1:5-7.

Right it doesn't, but it is only one of many combined to confirm Jesus wanting us to be perfect.

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, don't tell me what to read, and what not to read, yes?
J.
Yes, I figured BH would be all over this topic. He and I have bumped heads in the past too. I think it is best not to communicate with him anymore so I don't. My problem with him and others with this view is their shallow view of holiness as well as their shallow understanding of what sin entails. Most Christians I know are aware of how it is impossible to not sin in this lifetime and yes, as you've stated just about all of them take sin FAR TOO LIGHTLY. I don't think hardly any of us--at least pretty much no one that I know of--grieve it as much as we ought to.

The fact that the sinless perfection crowd does not understand all of what sin entails also evidences that this group also does not grieve over the remaining sin within them--they don't even know it is there thinking their shallow good deeds are without sin when all of it is tainted. I personally find it nauseating which I why I've chosen to not speak to those who espouse this view. It avoids an area which would provoke sin in me and I strive to avoid those kinds of things.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I figured BH would be all over this topic. He and I have bumped heads in the past too. I think it is best not to communicate with him anymore so I don't. My problem with him and others with this view is their shallow view of holiness as well as their shallow understanding of what sin entails. Most Christians I know are aware of how it is impossible to not sin in this lifetime and yes, as you've stated just about all of them take sin FAR TOO LIGHTLY. I don't think hardly any of us--at least pretty much no one that I know of--grieve it as much as we ought to.

The fact that the sinless perfection crowd does not understand all of what sin entails also evidences that this group also does not grieve over the remaining sin within them--they don't even know it is there thinking their shallow good deeds are without sin when all of it is tainted. I personally find it nauseating which I why I've chosen to not speak to those who espouse this view. It avoids an area which would provoke sin in me and I strive to avoid those kinds of things.
Grace, and peace be unto you. I only hold to the view I do based on what the Bible says.
I did not write the Bible. God did. So it’s not personal.

I provided verses in this write up to prove my case.

Many times the Bible actually uses the word perfect and it talks about overcoming sin in this life. See 1 Peter 4:1-2, 2 Corinthians 7:1, and Galatians 5:24. I just read these verses in the English and I believe them. Part of the problem Christians do not think they can overcome sin is because they are not abiding in God’s Word to be able to do so. They are busy with commentaries, and videos, and man made sayings and they are not putting God’s Word inside their heart. They are not continuing or abiding in God’s Word (by keep putting His Word in them continually). David basically said he hid God’s Word in his heart so that he may not sin against God (See: Psalms 119:11). This is knowing Scripture and loving others to a point where there is nothing on the inside that can make us stumble. 1 John 2:10 holds the key. If we love our brother, there is nothing on the inside that can make us stumble. Peter also mentions how were are to add certain things to our faith. For by doing so we will never fall or stumble (Please carefully and slowly read: 2 Peter 1:4-9).

Reactions: Wynona

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To my thinking, a purely mental ascent to the Gospel does not result in rebirth, while an acceptance of the Lord Jesus, and reliance on Him does.

Much love!
John 1:12 says, “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:” Meaning, they are child of God (born again) by even when they first believe on the name of Jesus for salvation. Sons of God are angels. Jesus basically said we would be like that of angels.

For Mark 12:25 says:
“For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.”

So a person is given power to become an angel when they believe on the name of Jesus.
But this belief is not just in the person of Jesus only. We see faith described to us also in Hebrews chapter 11.
Faith is described as a belief alone in Hebrews 11:3 in that we believe that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, but we also know that Hebrews 11:7 says that BY FAITH, Noah prepared an Ark to the saving of his household. This is faith (belief), too. Everything in your Bible is a part of the faith. For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

Many today do not realize that when they read John 5:24 that it says he that HEARS my WORD. This is not just hearing the words of Jesus on trusting in Him for salvation but it is HEARING ALL OF THE WORDS of JESUS. John 12:48 says if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day.

When I talk with Christians today they don’t accept certain words by our Lord Jesus. They don’t believe Jesus’ words in Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62.

So “hearing the word” in John 5:24 is to abide in God’s Word and to keep putting His Word back in you continually. We see this doctrine in John 8:31-32, and Matthew 4:4, etcetera.

“If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
(John 8:31-32).

Jesus says, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4).

So if we keep abiding in His Word, and we don’t speak against His words, we will know the truth of God’s doctrine and we will be set free from man’s way of thinking that is popular these days. We will eventually live by every Word of God.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
When I believe the gospel message and I called upon Jesus for salvation, it was like a light had went on inside of me. I had a love, joy, and peace that I had never known before (back in 1992). I used to be an atheist, but I was changed radically by the Lord Jesus. Clearly I was changed and born again (No doubt or question in my mind about that). The Bible became a living book to me. Verses literally jumped out of the page at me when I read them in my Bible when I was new in the faith. Today, God still talks to me with Scripture even today. God has a funny way of doing it. But I am nothing, and Christ is everything. He deserves all praise and glory for any good done in my life. I am just… a Bible highlighter (Who seeks to get others to see what the Bible says).

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I fully concur @dhh712

One thing to quote a bunch of scriptures, quite another thing to do what scriptures commands of us.
The more I read/study the D'var, the more I am aware of my own shortcomings and failures, and it grieves me.
This is not a forum where I can be transparent, the moment you mention an area you are "struggling with" you are labelled as not being a blood bought, sealed with the Holy Spirit, son of our Father.

I come from a ministry where Matthew 25 was practiced and have witnessed genuine conversions, to this day.

J.

Reactions: dhh712

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You seem to disagree with everyone, except yourself.

Reactions: dhh712

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gives me His Spirit Who empowers me to live holy, but His desire for me is to reach out myself and apprehend what He has given. Not to just turn my life into a proper painting, but to let me hold the brush, let me apply the stroke, let me become the artist. I'm His art, but my life is also my art.
Love this imagery!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To stop sinning is the goal and is biblical. It's something that God's grace enables us to do. God loves us and is for us, so he wants us to stop sinning.

I used to believe you could only ever barely manage sin even as a Christian. Now I simply believe the Bible. To stop sinning just looks like peace and contentment, not obsessing over sin.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to disagree with everyone, except yourself.
Jesus said, “…narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:14).

Also, I have changed my view on certain theological things over the years. So I would disagree with views I once held.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus said, “…narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:14).

Also, I have changed my view on certain theological things over the years. So I would disagree with views I once held.

What about the doctrine of election, and I don't mean Calvin and TULIP.
I went through your list, disagree on some points.
Would you say the "old man/nature" is somehow surgically removed/cut out from the believer?
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

It seems rather to be understood of the struggles that are maintained between grace and corruption in sanctified souls. That there are remainders of indwelling corruption, even where there is a living principle of grace, is past dispute; that this corruption is daily breaking forth in sins of infirmity (such as are consistent with a state of grace) is no less certain.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, 1Jn_1:8, 1Jn_1:10. That true grace strives against these sins and corruptions, does not allow of them, hates them, mourns over them, groans under them as a burden, is likewise certain (Gal_5:17): The flesh lusteth against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary the one to the other, so that you cannot do the things that you would. These are the truths which, I think, are contained in this discourse of the apostle. And his design is further to open the nature of sanctification, that it does not attain to a sinless perfection in this life; and therefore to quicken us to, and encourage us in, our conflicts with remaining corruptions.

Our case is not singular, that which we do sincerely strive against, shall not be laid to our charge, and through grace the victory is sure at last. The struggle here is like that between Jacob and Esau in the womb, between the Canaanites and Israelites in the land, between the house of Saul and the house of David; but great is the truth and will prevail. Understanding it thus, we may observe here,

1. What he complains of - the remainder of indwelling corruptions, which he here speaks of, to show that the law is insufficient to justify even a regenerate man, that the best man in the world hath enough in him to condemn him, if God should deal with him according to the law, which is not the fault of the law, but of our own corrupt nature, which cannot fulfil the law.

The repetition of the same things over and over again in this discourse shows how much Paul's heart was affected with what he wrote, and how deep his sentiments were. Observe the particulars of this complaint. (1.) I am carnal, sold under sin, Rom_7:14. He speaks of the Corinthians as carnal, 1Co_3:1.

Even where there is spiritual life there are remainders of carnal affections, and so far a man may be sold under sin; he does not sell himself to work wickedness, as Ahab did (1Ki_21:25), but he was sold by Adam when he sinned and fell - sold, as a poor slave that does his master's will against his own will - sold under sin, because conceived in iniquity and born in sin. (2.) What I would, that I do not; but what I hate, that do I, Rom_7:15. And to the same purport, Rom_7:19, Rom_7:21, When I would do good, evil is present with me. Such was the strength of corruptions, that he could not attain that perfection in holiness which he desired and breathed after.

Thus, while he was pressing forward towards perfection, yet he acknowledges that he had not already attained, neither was already perfect, Php_3:12.

Fain he would be free from all sin, and perfectly do the will of God, such was his settled judgment; but his corrupt nature drew him another way: it was like a clog, that checked and kept him down when he would have soared upward, like the bias in a bowl, which, when it is thrown straight, yet draws it aside.

(3.) In me, that is in my flesh, dwelleth no good, Rom_7:18. Here he explains himself concerning the corrupt nature, which he calls flesh; and as far as that goes there is no good to be expected, any more than one would expect good corn growing upon a rock, or on the sand which is by the sea-side. As the new nature, as far as that goes, cannot commit sin (1Jn_3:9), so the flesh, the old nature, as far as that goes, cannot perform a good duty. How should it?

For the flesh serveth the law of sin (Rom_7:25), it is under the conduct and government of that law; and, while it is so, it is not likely to do any good. The corrupt nature is elsewhere called flesh (Gen_6:3, Joh_3:6); and, though there may be good things dwelling in those that have this flesh, yet, as far as the flesh goes, there is no good, the flesh is not a subject capable of any good. (4.) I see another law in my members warring against the law of my mind, Rom_7:23. The corrupt and sinful inclination is here compared to a law, because it controlled and checked him in his good motions. It is said to be seated in his members, because, Christ having set up his throne in his heart, it was only the rebellious members of the body that were the instruments of sin - in the sensitive appetite; or we may take it more generally for all that corrupt nature which is the seat not only of sensual but of more refined lusts.

This wars against the law of the mind, the new nature; it draws the contrary way, drives on a contrary interest, which corrupt disposition and inclination are as great a burden and grief to the soul as the worst drudgery and captivity could be. It brings me into captivity. To the same purport (Rom_7:25), With the flesh I serve the law of sin; that is, the corrupt nature, the unregenerate part, is continually working towards sin.

(5.) His general complaint we have in Rom_7:24, O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? The thing he complains of is a body of death; either the body of flesh, which is a mortal dying body (while we carry this body about with us, we shall be troubled with corruption; when we are dead, we shall be freed from sin, and not before), or the body of sin, the old man, the corrupt nature, which tends to death, that is, to the ruin of the soul.

Or, comparing it to a dead body, the touch of which was by the ceremonial law defiling, if actual transgressions be dead works (Heb_9:14), original corruption is a dead body. It was as troublesome to Paul as if he had had a dead body tied to him, which he must have carried about with him. This made him cry out, O wretched man that I am! A man that had learned in every state to be content yet complains thus of his corrupt nature.

Had I been required to speak of Paul, I should have said, “O blessed man that thou art, an ambassador of Christ, a favourite of heaven, a spiritual father of thousands!” But in his own account he was a wretched man, because of the corruption of nature, because he was not so good as he fain would be, had not yet attained, neither was already perfect. Thus miserably does he complain.......