The Godly Heresy of Sinless Perfectionism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
to make your calling and election sure; by calling is not meant a call to any office in the church, nor an external call, either by the voice of nature, or by the ministry of the word; but an internal and effectual call by special grace, to grace here, and glory hereafter; instead of "calling", the Alexandrian copy reads, "comfort": and by "election" is meant, not a national, nor church election, but a particular and personal one, since scattered saints, and particular believers, are here written to, and each called upon to be diligent to make their own, and not another's, calling and election sure; nor is a choice of persons to an office designed, seeing the apostle writes not to officers of churches in particular, but to believers in common; nor a separation of persons from the world by the effectual calling, since these two are both mentioned here, and as distinct from each other, and to be made sure; but an election of particular persons to eternal life and salvation is here intended, which is an eternal act of God, arises from his free grace and favour, and is according to his sovereign will and pleasure; and is absolute, and independent of any condition, foreseen, or required in men, as faith, holiness, and good works; all which are fruits and effects, and not causes and conditions of electing grace.

These may be made "sure", not in themselves, or with respect to God, for in this sense they cannot be made surer than they are: effectual calling is according to the purpose of God, which cannot be frustrated, and is, without repentance, irreversible, and irrevocable, and is inseparably connected with eternal glory; and election stands not upon the foot of works, but upon the free grace of God, which cannot be made void, and upon the will of God, which cannot be resisted; and is also closely connected with glorification;

see Rom_8:30 nor are those to be made sure by saints, with respect to themselves; for though they may sometimes be at a loss about them, and may have some scruples and doubts in their minds concerning their interest in them, and an assurance of their being both called and chosen, may be after all attained unto by them; yet this is not their work, but it is the work of the Spirit of God, to certify and make sure unto them, or assure them of their calling and election of God: but the sense is, that diligence is to be used by the saints, to make their calling and election sure to others; not their election by their calling only, which is to themselves; for both are to be made sure, and that to others, and by some third thing; either to their fellow Christians, which they may do by giving them an account of the work of God upon their souls, joined with a testimony of their good lives and conversations; or rather to the world "by good works", as the Vulgate Latin version and two copies of Beza's read; or "by your good works", as the Alexandrian copy and the Syriac and Ethiopic versions read; or by the exercise of the graces, and the discharge of the duties before mentioned, whereby the men of the world may be certified and assured, by the best evidence the saints are capable of giving to them, or they of receiving, that they are the called and chosen of God, they profess themselves to be; and which is a reason why those things should be done: and another follows,
for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall; or "sin", as the Vulgate Latin and Arabic versions render it;

not that they should never fall at all, or in any sense, for in many things we all offend or fall; or should ever commit any act of sin, or fall into sin, for there is no man that lives, and sins not; or that they should not fall from a degree of the lively exercise of grace, or from a degree of steadfastness in the doctrine of faith, but that they should never sin the sin against the Holy Ghost, or fall totally and finally; for though they fall, they should rise again by faith and repentance, through the grace and power of Christ, who is able to keep them from falling: and besides, while they were exercising those graces, and doing those duties, they should not fall; for these are the means of final perseverance, and therefore the rather to be regarded.
Gill
Whittier wrote:

"Our thoughts lie open to thy sight;
And naked to thy glance;
Our secret sins are in the light
Of thy pure countenance."

(3) There was a third kind of Gnostic belief. The true Gnostic regarded himself as an altogether spiritual man, as having shed all the material things of life and released his spirit from the bondage of matter. Such Gnostics held that they were so spiritual that they were above and beyond sin and had reached spiritual perfection. It is to them that John refers when he speaks of those who deceive themselves by saying that they have no sin (1Jn_1:8-10).

Whichever of these three ways Gnostic belief took, its ethical consequences were perilous in the extreme; and it is clear that its last two were to be found in the society to which John wrote.

(b) Further, this Gnosticism issued in an attitude to men which was the necessary destruction of Christian fellowship. We have seen that the Gnostic aimed at the release of the spirit from the prison house of the evil body by means of an elaborate and esoteric knowledge. Clearly such a knowledge was not for every man. Ordinary people were too involved in the everyday life and work of the world ever to have time for the study and discipline necessary; and, even if they had had such time, many were intellectually incapable of grasping the involved speculations of Gnostic theosophy and philosophy so-called.

This produced an inevitable result. It divided men into two classes those who were capable of a really spiritual life and those who were not. The Gnostics had names for these two classes of men. The ancients commonly divided the being of man into three parts. There was the soma (G4983), the body, the physical part of man. There was the psuche (G5590), which we generally translate soul, but we must have a care for it does not mean what we mean by soul. To the Greeks the psuche (G5590) was the principle of physical life. Everything which had physical life had psuche (G5590). Psuche was that life principle which a man shared with all living creatures. There was the pneuma (G4151), the spirit; and it was the spirit which was possessed only by man and made him kin to God.

The aim of Gnosticism was the release of the pneuma (G4151) from the soma (G4983); but that release could be won only by long and arduous study which only the leisured intellectual could ever undertake. The Gnostics, therefore, divided men into two classes the psuchikoi (G5591), who could never advance beyond the principle of physical life and never attain to anything else than what was to all intents and purposes animal living; and the pneumatikoi (G4152), who were truly spiritual and truly akin to God.

The result was clear. The Gnostics produced a spiritual aristocracy who looked with contempt and even hatred on lesser men. The pneumatikoi (G4152) regarded the psuchikoi (G5591) as contemptible, earthbound creatures who could never know what real religion was.

The consequence was obviously the annihilation of Christian fellowship. That is why John insists all over his letter that the true test of Christianity is love for the brethren. If we really are walking in the light we have fellowship with one another (1Jn_1:7).

He who says he is in the light and hates his brother is in fact in darkness (1Jn_2:9-11). The proof that we have passed from dark to light is that we love the brethren (1Jn_3:14-17). The marks of Christianity are belief in Christ and love for the brethren (1Jn_3:23). God is love and he who does not love does not know God at all (1Jn_4:7-8). Because God loved us, we ought to love each other; it is when we love each other that God dwells in us (1Jn_4:10-12). The commandment is that he who loves God must love his brother also, and he who says he loves God and at the same time hates his brother is branded as a liar (1Jn_4:20-21). The Gnostic, to put it bluntly, would have said that the mark of true religion is contempt for ordinary men; John insists in every chapter that the mark of true religion is love for every man.

Here, then, is a picture of these Gnostic heretics. They talked of being born of God, of walking in the light, of having no sin, of dwelling in God, of knowing God. These were their catch phrases.

They had no idea of destroying the Church and the faith; by their way of it they were going to cleanse the Church of dead wood and make Christianity an intellectually respectable philosophy, fit to stand beside the great systems of the day.

But the effect of their teaching was to deny the incarnation, to eliminate the Christian ethic and to make fellowship within the Church impossible. It is little wonder that John seeks, with such fervent pastoral devotion, to defend the churches he loved from such an insidious attack from within. This was a threat far more perilous than any heathen persecution; the very existence of the Christian faith was at stake.
DSB

here a little.......there a little.
Now, how do you understand election and calling? Why make it sure if it already sure?

J.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to make your calling and election sure; by calling is not meant a call to any office in the church, nor an external call, either by the voice of nature, or by the ministry of the word; but an internal and effectual call by special grace, to grace here, etc., etc..
DSB

here a little.......there a little.
Now, how do you understand election and calling? Why make it sure if it already sure?

J.
Naturally God calls people. The Word of God and the Spirit convicts men of their sins and helps them to seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus. God elects or has chosen them to salvation. I believe the word “election” in 2 Peter 1:10 is dealing with God having chosen us to salvation in being a holy and set apart people before we actually physically made that choice. We are his workmanship created unto Christ Jesus for good works and ordained that we should walk in them. So we have to make our election sure. For if we do the things in 2 Peter 1:5-11, you will never fall or stumble. 1 Peter 1:1-2 says we are elected according to God the Father’s foreknowledge. So God elects us to salvation seeing beforehand our free will choice In receiving Him. The reason Christ gave us was to sanctify it by the washing of the water of the Word so that He might present to Himself a church that is holy and without blemish (Ephesians 5:25-27).

So it‘s not just how you start, it’s how you finish. Judas was a chosen disciple, but he fell away due to his transgression.
Israel was a chosen nation by God, but they sinned and even rejected their own Messiah. But they are still elected because God knows that one day they will repent as a nation and accept Jesus as their Savior before the Messiah (Jesus) returns.

Many are called, but few are chosen.
It’s like the parable of the sower. Three received the seed of the Word of God, but only one of them made it in the end.
It’s not the the other two were not initially saved, it just means that they did not continue in the faith and continue with God’s grace and His goodness.

Also, everyone had their name written in the book of life. The only exception to this is Revelation 13:8, and Revelation 17:8. God knows those who will worship the beast in the future. Revelation 13:8, and Revelation 17:8 is saying that their names are not even written in the book of life since the foundation of the world. They are the only exception. But everyone else… Jesus died for their sins. They are saved as a baby, but when they grow up and fall into sin, they need to renew their heart with God and be born again spiritually to enter the Kingdom. Those who justify sin have not been born again spiritually. Their heart is still of this world in defense of sin (Which is what the devil desires all men to do). God does not want you to sin. Only the devil does. A person‘s mind is still controlled by the prince of the power of the air if they defend sin.

Names can be blotted out of the book of life because of sin or a person justifying sin.

Side Note:

Again, please stop quoting commentaries. I have no interest in them, and neither should you. Many of them are written in a way that is flowery and confusing and they are not always clear. They also have many unbiblical things within commentaries, as well. Please talk to me as a real human being involving God’s Word and do not quote the thoughts of others (that have words that can lead people astray). If you persist to quote commentaries against my wishes, I will no longer address your posts directly anymore (But I will speak only when needful of any concerns within those comments in an indirect way as if I am speaking to an audience). So again. Please talk to me like a normal human being. If not, I will move on from a normal discourse with you.

Thank you, and may God bless you.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Johann

Again, please stop quoting commentaries. I have no interest in them, and neither should you. Many of them are written in a way that is flowery and confusing and they are not always clear. They also have many unbiblical things within commentaries, as well. Please talk to me as a real human being involving God’s Word and do not quote the thoughts of others (that have words that can lead people astray). If you persist to quote commentaries against my wishes, I will no longer address your posts directly anymore (But I will speak only when needful of any concerns within those comments in an indirect way as if I am speaking to an audience). So again. Please talk to me like a normal human being. If not, I will move on from a normal discourse with you.

I hope you understand.

Thank you, and may God bless you.

Reactions: HIM

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...sometimes it's better to just go on...
J.
We did. Romans 8:2 shows that Paul is no longer in bondage to the Law of Sin. Not being able to help what he does.

Last edited:

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, I respect you, but don't assume things about how I perceive the scriptures that aren't true....

I have shown you our brother Paul did not reached absolute perfection in his life while IN THE BODY....

Php 3:13 I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Php 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward.
Php 3:15 So let those [of us] who are spiritually mature and full-grown have this mind and hold these convictions; and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also.
Php 3:16 Only let us hold true to what we have already attained and walk and order our lives by that.
Had attained - were perfect (ἔλαβον - τετελείωμαι)
Rev., have attained, am made perfect. There is a change of tenses which may be intentional; the aorist attained pointing to the definite period of his conversion, the perfect, am made perfect, referring to his present state. Neither when I became Christ's did I attain, nor, up to this time, have I been perfected. With attained supply the prize from Php_3:14. Rev., am made perfect, is preferable, as preserving the passive form of the verb.
I follow after (διώκω)
Rev., better, press on. The A.V. gives the sense of chasing; whereas the apostle's meaning is the pressing toward a fixed point. The continuous present would be better, I am pressing.
May apprehend (καταλάβω)
American Rev., lay hold on. Neither A.V. nor Rev. give the force of καὶ also; if I may also apprehend as well as pursue. For the verb, see on Joh_1:5.
For which also I am apprehended
Rev., correctly, was apprehended. American Rev., laid hold on. Paul's meaning is, “I would grasp that for which Christ grasped me. Paul's conversion was literally of the nature of a seizure. That for which Christ laid hold of him was indeed his mission to the Gentiles, but it was also his personal salvation, and it is of this that the context treats. Some render, seeing that also I was apprehended. Rev., in margin.
Vincent
Let's take a look. Paul was humble as we all need to be. Recognizing it is all of God through His Spirit will keep us that way. Say what you will about Paul and your opinion about what he said about himself. But the one thing you can't take away from what he said is in verse 15 he states that he is recognizing that he sees, or that perfection in Christ is possible in this body in verse 15. And these who have attained need to be of the same mind Paul is of. And that is not to think highly of yourself and think you have, but always press forward to the high calling which is in Christ Jesus. Which is the righteousness of God through Him through His Spirit as verse 9 states.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's take a look. Paul was humble as we all need to be. Recognizing it is all of God through His Spirit will keep us that way. Say what you will about Paul and your opinion about what he said about himself. But the one thing you can't take away from what he said is in verse 15 he states that he is recognizing that he sees, or that perfection in Christ is possible in this body in verse 15. And these who have attained need to be of the same mind Paul is of. And that is not to think highly of yourself and think you have, but always press forward to the high calling which is in Christ Jesus. Which is the righteousness of God through Him through His Spirit as verse 9 states.
If you think you can live in sinless perfection you are mistaken. Only Jesus could do that.

• Love
Reactions: dhh712

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, speaking of commentaries, which ones are you using as a secondary source?
J.
My main one was the Westminster Confessions of Faith (which I understand to not be that popular amongst this crowd). I don't doubt it has its imperfections, but to me it contains the most clear interpretation of God's word. I've also read Matthew Henry's commentary, Berkhof's systematic theology, volume one of Calvin's institutes and his commentary on Genesis. All these are reformed in view and like I said, not popular here. Like I also said, no one of these is going to be perfect--I don't believe there is any infallible interpreter of God's infallible word--yet I think it contains the least amount of errors, the least amount of heresy.

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think you can live in sinless perfection you are mistaken. Only Jesus could do that.
Brother, those who think they have achieved sinless perfection in this life have a shallow view of the holiness of God; they do not understand all of what sin entails, of how permeating it is into every facet of our being.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, those who think they have achieved sinless perfection in this life have a shallow view of the holiness of God; they do not understand all of what sin entails, of how permeating it is into every facet of our being.
Yes sometimes my own thoughts are my enemy and I have to pray to bring them into submission. Sanctification is a process and it’s not complete until we reach Heaven.

Reactions: Pearl and dhh712

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sometimes my own thoughts are my enemy and I have to pray to bring them into submission. Sanctification is a process and it’s not complete until we reach Heaven.
Right, those thoughts and I think the most lacking understanding of holiness is *all* of what the ten commandments entail. Mostly those who are "more sanctified" than others in their walk with the Lord typically fail most of the time in sins of omission, not commission. Loving God with all one's heart, soul, mind and strength is definitely something which every saved person on earth fails to do every day. Every contrary thought towards someone who you may perceive to be a jerk to is also murder; and failing to actively benefit your neighbor when you're just too weary or just don't have the time, like if someone's lonely and you know you should give them a call or a visit... that's a sin too. The list is endless and that is a infinitesimal fraction of what God commands us to do.

But show me a man or woman who claims they have kept God's moral laws perfectly every day of their life and I'll show you a liar who is not aware of all of what God's law entails.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But show me a man or woman who claims they have kept God's moral laws perfectly every day of their life and I'll show you a liar who is not aware of all of what God's law entails.
It is impossible for mere humans to fully keep God's laws and that is why he sent Jesus to pay the price for our sin so that in Him we could be made righteous; not through anything we have done but as a free gift from God when we receive Jesus as Lord and Saviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhh712 and RLT63

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's take a look. Paul was humble as we all need to be.
Let's do take a look. Paul WAS a proud man deep inside, and if you know what to look for, you'll see it too. Take a look at Philippians 3:6. "As for the righteousness that comes from Torah, I was blameless". (Uh, Paul, didn't you write something in Romans about that?) The envy of Peter and James and John and Apollos (Galatians 2, 1 Corinthians 6, 2 Corinthians 11:5, "I don't consider myself the least bit inferior to those super-apostles!"). Look at 2 Corinthians 11. All that boasting was inside him all along, just waiting for a chance to get out. Look for it. There's a reason God gave Paul that "thorn in the flesh":

Because of the extraordinary greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself. (2 Corinthians 12:7)

Look for it. Down deep in his heart, Paul was a proud man and he knew it, and God bless him, he fought it his entire life.

As we must also.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhh712 and RLT63

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is your opinion. You did not bother to answer the points made by the post found Philippians three my friend.

In regard to perfection Paul stated in verse 12 that he did not think he was there yet but that is what he follows after; pursues. That was his goal. Then the next part of the sentence starts with the word "if". He says, "If that I may apprehend, take hold that for (upon) which he (we) are apprehended under Christ Jesus. That is to know Him and the power of His resurrection to be found in Him not having his (our) own righteousness but that which is by, through the faith of Christ Jesus which is the righteousness of God through faith.
Then in verse 13-15 he says he forgets the things that are behind, in the past and moves forward to this high calling in Christ Jesus. The righteousness which is of God through the faith of Christ Jesus through the power of His resurrection.
As he continues in respect to that he says that those to whom be perfect have the same mindset. Not to think that they have appended anything yet and that they continue Forgetting those things that are behind, moving forward to this high calling which is in Christ Jesus.

(Phil 3:9 [KJV])
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

(Phil 3:10 [KJV])
That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

(Phil 3:12 [KJV])
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

(Phil 3:13 [KJV])
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

(Phil 3:14 [KJV])
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

(Phil 3:15 [KJV])
Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is impossible for mere humans to fully keep God's laws and that is why he sent Jesus to pay the price for our sin so that in Him we could be made righteous; not through anything we have done but as a free gift from God when we receive Jesus as Lord and Saviour.
He that does righteousness is righteous EVEN AS he was righteous. Even as is a direct comparison. So how was Jesus righteous Pearl?

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He that doeth righteousness The Apostle shews here that newness of life is testified by good works; nor does that likeness of which he has spoken, that is between Christ and his members, appear, except by the fruits they bring forth; as though he had said, “Since it behooves us to be conformed to Christ, the truth and evidence of this must appear in our life.” The exhortation is the same with that of Paul in Galatians
“If ye live in the Spirit, walk also in the Spirit.”
(Gal_5:25)

For many would gladly persuade themselves that they have this righteousness buried in their hearts, while iniquity evidently occupies their feet, and hands, and tongue, and eyes.
Now while the Gnostics made great pretensions as to their knowledge, they were very careless about their personal lives.

Therefore, John adds, “Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.” There should be no confusion on this point—a man cannot have spiritual life and go on living in sin. On the other hand, a man can only practice righteousness through having the nature of Him who is righteous.

3:8 Some children are so like their parents that you couldn't lose them in a crowd. This is true of God's children and of the devil's children. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. Here again the thought is, “He who practices sin is of the devil.” The devil has been sinning (continuous, characteristic behavior) from the beginning, that is, from the first time that he did sin.

All his children follow him in this broad way. It should be added here that men become children of God through the new birth, but there is no birth in connection with the children of the devil. A man becomes a child of the devil simply by imitating his behavior, but no one is begotten as a child of the devil.

In contrast, the coming of the Lord Jesus was in order to destroy (or annul) the works of the devil. The Lord could have destroyed the devil with a single word, but instead of that, He came down to this world to suffer, bleed, and die that He might annul the works of the devil. If it cost the Savior so much to put away sin, what should be the attitude of those who have trusted Him as Savior?

3:9 Verse nine repeats the impossibility of one who has been born of God going on in sin.

Some Bible students think that this verse refers to the believer's new nature, and that while the old nature can and does sin, the new nature cannot sin. However, we believe that here again the apostle is contrasting the regenerate man with the unregenerate, and is speaking of constant or habitual behavior. The believer does not have the sin habit. He does not defiantly continue in sin.

Does it mean it is impossible for a believer to sin?
The reason is that His seed remains in him. There is considerable disagreement among Bible students as to the meaning of this latter expression also.

Some think that this seed refers to the new nature, others to the Holy Spirit, and still others to the word of God. All of these are true, and therefore are possible explanations. We take it that the seed refers to the new life which is imparted to the believer at the time of conversion. Here, then, is a statement that the divine life remains in the believer. He is eternally secure. Rather than being an excuse for the Christian to go out and sin, his eternal security is a guarantee he will not go on sinning.

He cannot sin habitually because he has been born of God. This divine relationship precludes the possibility of continuance in sin as a lifestyle.

From the connection between regeneration and the relinquishment of sin: Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin. To be born of God is to be inwardly renewed, and restored to a holy integrity or rectitude of nature by the power of the Spirit of God.

Such a one committeth not sin, does not work iniquity nor practise disobedience, which is contrary to his new nature and the regenerate complexion of his spirit; for, as the apostle adds, his seed remaineth in him, either the word of God in its light and power remaineth in him (as 1Pe_1:23, Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever), or, that which is born of the Spirit is spirit; the spiritual seminal principle of holiness remaineth in him.

Renewing grace is an abiding principle. Religion, in the spring of it, is not an art, an acquired dexterity and skill, but a new nature. And thereupon the consequence is the regenerate person cannot sin.

That he cannot commit an act of sin, I suppose no judicious interpreter understands. This would be contrary to 1Jn_1:9, where it is made our duty to confess our sins, and supposed that our privilege thereupon is to have our sins forgiven.

He therefore cannot sin, in the sense in which the apostle says, he cannot commit sin. He cannot continue in the course and practice of sin. He cannot so sin as to denominate him a sinner in opposition to a saint or servant of God. Again, he cannot sin comparatively, as he did before he was born of God, and as others do that are not so.

And the reason is because he is born of God, which will amount to all this inhibition and impediment. 1. There is a light in his mind which shows him the evil and malignity of sin. 2. There is that bias upon his heart which disposes him to loathe and hate sin. 3. There is the spiritual seminal principle or disposition, that breaks the force and fulness of the sinful acts. They proceed not from such plenary power of corruption as they do in others, nor obtain that plenitude of heart, spirit, and consent, which they do in others.

The spirit lusteth against the flesh. And therefore in respect to such sin it may be said, It is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. It is not reckoned the person's sin, in the gospel account, where the bent and frame of the mind and spirit are against it.

Then, 4. There is a disposition for humiliation and repentance for sin, when it has been committed. He that is born of God cannot sin. Here we may call to mind the usual distinction of natural and moral impotency. The unregenerate person is morally unable for what is religiously good.

The regenerate person is happily disabled for sin. There is a restraint, an embargo (as we may say), laid upon his sinning powers.

It goes against him sedately and deliberately to sin. We usually say of a person of known integrity, “He cannot lie, he cannot cheat, and commit other enormities.”
How can I commit this great wickedness, and sin against God! Gen_39:9. And so those who persist in a sinful life sufficiently demonstrate that they are not born of God.

Hope you get the "thrust" of what is posted to you.
J.
You and I are in Romans 8:2 in relation to chapter 7 my friend. Where Paul states that he was set free from the Law of sin, the inability to do that which he would due to the fact that he that commits sin is a slave to it. But praise be to Jesus the Son. For He has set us free from the Law of sin that the righteousness of the Law be fulfilled in us who walk after the Spirit of the Life in Christ Jesus and not after the flesh. And free we are indeed!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is your opinion. You did not bother to answer the points made by the post found Philippians three my friend.

In regard to perfection Paul stated in verse 12 that he did not think he was there yet but that is what he follows after; pursues. That was his goal. Then the next part of the sentence starts with the word "if". He says, "If that I may apprehend, take hold that for (upon) which he (we) are apprehended under Christ Jesus. That is to know Him and the power of His resurrection to be found in Him not having his (our) own righteousness but that which is by, through the faith of Christ Jesus which is the righteousness of God through faith.
Then in verse 13-15 he says he forgets the things that are behind, in the past and moves forward to this high calling in Christ Jesus. The righteousness which is of God through the faith of Christ Jesus through the power of His resurrection.
As he continues in respect to that he says that those to whom be perfect have the same mindset. Not to think that they have appended anything yet and that they continue Forgetting those things that are behind, moving forward to this high calling which is in Christ Jesus.

(Phil 3:9 [KJV])
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

(Phil 3:10 [KJV])
That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

(Phil 3:12 [KJV])
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

(Phil 3:13 [KJV])
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

(Phil 3:14 [KJV])
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

(Phil 3:15 [KJV])
Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
1 Kings 8:46. 2 Chronicles 6:36

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You and I are in Romans 8:2 in relation to chapter 7 my friend. Where Paul states that he was set free from the Law of sin, the inability to do that which he would due to the fact that he that commits sin is a slave to it. But praise be to Jesus the Son. For He has set us free from the Law of sin that the righteousness of the Law be fulfilled in us who walk after the Spirit of the Life in Christ Jesus and not after the flesh. And free we are indeed!

Rom 8:1 ουδεν αρα νυν κατακριμα τοις εν χριστω ιησου μη κατα σαρκα περιπατουσιν αλλα κατα πνευμα
Rom 8:2 ο γαρ νομος του πνευματος της ζωης εν χριστω ιησου ηλευθερωσεν με απο του νομου της αμαρτιας και του θανατου

Brother, don't build a theory of one verse....

J.

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Kings 8:46. 2 Chronicles 6:36
If we can't prove a point being shown within the passage shared, posting other scripture outside of that passage proves nothing. The point being shared within the passage still stands.

1 Kings 8:46 and 2 Chronicles 6:36 are before the Gift of Christ Jesus through the power of His resurrection.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If we can't prove a point being shown within the passage shared, posting other scripture outside of that passage proves nothing. The point being shared within the passage still stands.

1 Kings 8:46 and 2 Chronicles 6:36 are before the Gift of Christ Jesus through the power of His resurrection.

2,071 views Sep 8, 2022
Does 1 John 3:9 teach that believers do not sin?
The answer might seem obvious, but by the way many translation render this verse, such as the NIV...
"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God."
... You could be led to believe that this verse teaches believers cannot sin.
Even many preachers misunderstand the way the present tense of this verse is used in Greek and end up poorly exegeting the text!
So in this video I walk through 3 clues in the text to help us understand Johns argument.

Guess you need to listen.
J.