The Godly Heresy of Sinless Perfectionism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What your saying is that they were deceived by following a faulty translation for hundreds of years. Your saying that the true light came when Textual Criticism came about with Westcott and Hort, Nestle and Aland and the Vatican came.
And you are making false assumptions, I am very familiar with the Westcott and Hort controversy brother, like you, I don't hold to textual criticism either, once again, the way you study/read the scriptures and the way I study is my business.

2Ti_2:19 Neuerthelesse the foundation of God standeth sure, hauing the seale, the Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let euery one that nameth the Name of Christ, depart from iniquitie.

ο μεντοι στερεος θεμελιος του θεου εστηκεν εχων την σφραγιδα ταυτην εγνω κυριος τους οντας αυτου και αποστητω απο αδικιας πας ο ονομαζων το ονομα χριστου

2Ti 2:19 But the firm foundation of (laid by) God stands, sure and unshaken, bearing this seal (inscription): The Lord knows those who are His, and, Let everyone who names [himself by] the name of the Lord give up all iniquity and stand aloof from it. [Num_16:5; Isa_26:13]
AMPC
1671554256740.png

Textus Receptus.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And you are making false assumptions, I am very familiar with the Westcott and Hort controversy brother, like you, I don't hold to textual criticism either, once again, the way you study/read the scriptures and the way I study is my business.

2Ti_2:19 Neuerthelesse the foundation of God standeth sure, hauing the seale, the Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let euery one that nameth the Name of Christ, depart from iniquitie.

ο μεντοι στερεος θεμελιος του θεου εστηκεν εχων την σφραγιδα ταυτην εγνω κυριος τους οντας αυτου και αποστητω απο αδικιας πας ο ονομαζων το ονομα χριστου

2Ti 2:19 But the firm foundation of (laid by) God stands, sure and unshaken, bearing this seal (inscription): The Lord knows those who are His, and, Let everyone who names [himself by] the name of the Lord give up all iniquity and stand aloof from it. [Num_16:5; Isa_26:13]
AMPC
View attachment 27793

Textus Receptus.
J.
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
Nevertheless. Notwithstanding the subversion of their faith, ’the firm foundation of (i:e., laid by) God standeth’ fast [ ho (G3588) stereos (G4731) themelios (G2310) tou (G3588) Theou (G2316) hesteeken (G2476): the English version would require ho (G3588) themelios (G2310) stereos (G4731)]. Taking for granted the sureness of the foundation Paul predicates of it that it ’standeth fast.’ The "foundation" here is not "the Church," the "ground" or basement support "of the truth" (1Ti_3:15; as Alford, Ellicott, etc.), Christ Himself being the ultimate "foundation" (1Co_3:11). The Church being the "house" (2Ti_2:20), can hardly be also "the foundation:" which would make the house to be founded on the house. Rather, "the foundation" is "the word of truth" (2Ti_2:15), "the truth" (2Ti_2:18); in contrast to Hymeneus and Philetus’ "word" which ’eats as a canker’ (2Ti_2:17) They pretend to build up, but really "overthrow," not indeed the word of truth, but "the faith of some" in it (2Ti_2:18). "Nevertheless, notwithstanding the overthrew of their faith the object of faith, "the word of truth," ’the sure foundation of God stands fast.’ The "house" (2Ti_2:20) is the elect whom "the Lord knoweth" (acknowledgeth as His, Mat_7:23; Joh_10:14; 1Co_8:3), and who persevere to the end, though others ’err concerning the truth’ (Mat_24:24; Joh_10:28; Rom_8:38-39; 1Jn_2:19).
Bengel makes "the foundation" the immoveable faithfulness of God (to His promises to His elect). Though reprobates ’err concerning the truth’ (2Ti_2:18), and deny the faith, God abates not His faithfulness (cf. 2Ti_2:13). ’The word of the truth’ inseparably involves God’s truthfulness to His Word: the "foundation" is primarily ’the word of the truth,’ including, secondarily, God’s faithfulness to His promises to His own people. Not the word of truth as a bare theory, but as a surely appropriated foundation of faith and hope standeth fast as the safeguard against error (1Pe_1:22-25 : contrast Psa_11:3; Psa_82:5). It is the foundation of God, not the fiction of man: objective, not merely subjective.
Having - seeing it hath (Ellicott).
Seal - inscription: indicating ownership and destination. Inscriptions were often engraven on a "foundation" stone (Rev_21:14) (Alford). The "seal" is the token of assurance or security attached to His word of truth ("the foundation of God"), with the legend on one side of its round surface.
The Lord knoweth , [once for all: aorist, egnoo (G1097): from eternity knew; not as the Lord knoweth, but not man; for believers do know their being His (1Jn_5:19; Rom_8:16); but the Lord knoweth so as to approve of and acknowledge. His knowing them as His involves His making Himself known to them (Joh_10:14; Joh_10:27; Rev_2:17; Luk_13:25-27). Not God the Creator, but "the Lord," the Redeemer. His knowing is elective (Amo_3:2); communicative, as it imparts the consciousness of God’s recognition to the soul (Psa_31:7); distinctive (Psa_1:6) between the godly and the ungodly: the Septuagint (Num_16:5), egnoo (G1097) ho (G3588) Theos (G2316) tous (G3588) ontas (G5607) autou (G846) kai (G2532) tous (G3588) hagious (G40), to which Paul alludes]
Them that are his; on the obverse side,
Let everyone that nameth (as His Lord, Psa_20:7; Act_22:16; or preacheth in His name Jer_20:9)
... Christ depart , [ aposteetoo (G848)] - ’stand aloof.’ From iniquity (Isa_52:11). In both clauses there may be an allusion to Num_16:5; Num_16:26, Septuagint God’s part and man’s part:

God chooseth and "knoweth" His elect: the inner legend of the seal read by believers-a secret between God and their soul: they in faith, by the Spirit, ’depart from all iniquity:’ the outer legend to be read by professors, as a test of sincerity and a warning against self-deception. He cannot be honoured with the name Christian who dishonours, by iniquity, the Author of the name. Blandina’s refreshment amidst tortures was, ’I am a Christian, and with us Christians no evil is done’ (Eusebius, ’Ecclesiastical History,’ 2Ti_2:1). Apostasy from the faith is soon followed by iniquity (2Ti_3:2-8; 2Ti_3:13).
JFB

Excellent commentary.

The foundation of God standeth sure (ὁ στερεὸς θεμέλιος τοῦ θεοῦ ἕστηκεν)
Wrong. Στερεὸς sure is attributive, not predicative. Rend. the firm foundation of God standeth. The phrase foundation of God, N.T.o. Θεμέλιος foundation is an adjective, and λίθος stone is to be supplied. It is not to be taken by metonymy for οἰκία house (2Ti_2:20), but must be interpreted consistently with it, and, in a loose way, represents or foreshadows it. So we speak of an endowed institution as a foundation. By “the sure foundation of God” is meant the church, which is “the pillar and stay of the truth” (1Ti_3:15), by means of which the truth of God is to withstand the assaults of error. The church has its being in the contents of “the sound teaching” (1Ti_1:10), which is “according to godliness” (1Ti_6:3), and which is deposited in it. “The mystery of godliness “ is intrusted to it (1Ti_3:16). Its servants possess “the mystery of the faith” (1Ti_3:9). In 1Co_3:11, Christ is represented as “ the chief corner-stone.” In Eph_2:20, the church is built “upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets,” with Christ as the corner-stone, and grows into a “holy temple (ναὸν) in the Lord.” Here, the church itself is the foundation, and the building is conceived as a great dwelling-house. While the conception of the church here does not contradict that of Paul, the difference is apparent between it and the conception in Ephesians, where the church is the seat of the indwelling and energy of the Holy Spirit. Comp. 1Co_3:16,1Co_3:17. Στερεός firm only here, Heb_5:12, Heb_5:14, and 1Pe_5:9 (note). Ἕστηκεν standeth, in contrast with overthrow (2Ti_2:18).
Seal (σφραγῖδα)
Mostly in Revelation. Only here in Pastorals. In Paul, Rom_4:11; 1Co_9:2. Used here rather in the sense of inscription or motto. Comp. Deu_6:9; Deu_11:20; Rev_21:14. There are two inscriptions on the foundation stone, the one guaranteeing the security, the other the purity, of the church. The two go together. The purity of the church is indispensable to its security.
The Lord knoweth them that are his (ἔγνω κύριος τοὺς ὄντας αὐτοῦ)
The first inscription: God knows his own. Comp. Num_16:5; 1Co_13:12. For ἔγνω knoweth, see on Gal_4:9. Them that are his, his ἐκλεκτοὶ chosen; see 2Ti_2:10; Tit_1:1; Rom_8:33; Col_3:12; 1Pe_2:9 : Rev_17:14. Not, however, in any hard, predestinarian sense. Comp. Joh_10:14; Mat_7:23; Luk_13:25, Luk_13:27.
Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity
The second inscription, concerning the purity of the church. For of Christ rend. of the Lord (κυρίου). Ὁνομάζων nameth, only here in Pastorals. It means to give a name to, to style, as Mar_3:14; Luk_6:14; 1Co_5:11 : to pronounce a name as having a special virtue, as in incantation, as Act_19:13 : to utter a name as acknowledging and appropriating what the name involves, as a confession of faith and allegiance. So here. Comp. Rom_15:20; 1Co_5:11; Isa_26:13. For ὄνομα name, see on 2Th_1:12. Ἁποστήτω ἀπὸ ἀδικίας depart from iniquity. For the verb, see on 1Ti_4:1. Mostly in Luke and Acts. Comp. Num_16:26; Isa_52:11. Whatever may be implied in God's election, it does not relieve Christians of the duty of strict attention to their moral character and conduct. Comp. Php_2:12. The gift of grace (Eph_2:8) is exhibited in making one a coworker with God (1Co_3:9). The salvation bestowed by grace is to be “carried out” (Php_2:12) by man with the aid of grace (Rom_6:8-19; 2Co_6:1). What this includes and requires appears in Php_3:10; Php_4:1-7; Eph_4:13-16, Eph_4:22 ff.; Col_2:6, Col_2:7.
Vincent

J

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Godly Heresy of Sinless Perfectionism

How can a heresy be ‘godly’? In short, it can’t. Godliness is about conformity to sound doctrine (Titus 2:1). However, most cases of (reasonably convincing) false teaching will consist of biblical truths that have been skewed in some way. The ingredients are good, but the recipe is incomplete or else has had unwelcome things added, and the result is a theological and practical mess.

Sinless Perfectionism is a doctrine like that. In short, it holds that it is possible for Christians to completely defeat sin in the present life and to live holy lives like Jesus did. At a glance, it makes a lot of sense. Jesus came to save us from sin. He died for our sins on the cross and he sent his Holy Spirit to empower his people to overcome sin and to live obedient, righteous lives in the present (Titus 2:11-14). Christians should have the highest aspirations for living holy lives and rejecting all sin.

Sinless Perfectionism is Unbiblical
However, the Bible also says that ‘If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us’ (1 John 1:8). It speaks of the fact that until the resurrection we must be at war with sinful desires (Galatians 5:16-17). Sin is not an enemy ‘out there’. It’s an enemy within that lives and feeds off our fallen human desires and weaknesses (James 1:13-15). That is why sinless perfectionism is not only untrue but also dangerous. People don’t tend to win battles that they don’t even realise they are supposed to be fighting.

Sinless perfectionism is not only untrue but also dangerous. People don’t tend to win battles that they don’t even realise they are supposed to be fighting.

There is a much-repeated (but possibly untrue) story about the 19th century Baptist preacher C.H. Spurgeon in which he debunked perfectionism in a memorable way.[1]

Spurgeon was at a conference where a preacher taught perfectionism in an outspoken manner and even claimed to have reached a state of sinless perfection himself. Spurgeon didn’t challenge him on the spot. Instead, the next morning he poured a pitcher of milk over the man’s head, to which the ‘perfectionist’ responded with the kind of rage and hostility that you’d expect from any sinner. Perfectionism debunked.

We like this story. It’s funny to hear of false teaching being exposed in an amusing way. But I suspect that our reaction is far too smug. It betrays an attitude of self-assurance at precisely the point where we should feel our greatest need. It demonstrates a disturbing lack of concern about the fact that we sin and that our sin is deeply offensive to God. When we remember this then it’s impossible to gleefully say in our hearts: “you stupid perfectionists—of course we all sin!” Are we pleased with the situation? Have we forgotten what sin is? Even though we know that it’s false, shouldn’t we wish that sinless perfectionism were true? Don’t you long to be free of sin?

Spiritual Complacency is Unbiblical Too
If there is an equal and opposite error to sinless perfectionism then it is the sin of spiritual complacency. It’s shrugging your shoulders at sin’s inevitability. It’s acceptance that sin is just part of life, and I’m OK with that. It’s responding to occasions of sin by almost justifying it with glib lines like: “we know that we all sin.” That is a ghastly attitude for a Christian to have and it needs to be challenged.

If there is an equal and opposite error to sinless perfectionism then it’s shrugging your shoulders at sin’s inevitability—sin is just part of life, and I’m OK with that.

It is easy for me to criticise sinless perfectionism because I don’t personally know any Christians who struggle with this doctrine. However, I dare say that I know an entire evangelical culture that is complacent about sin. We’ve forgotten that sin is ugly and grotesque; the complete opposite to righteousness. We’ve forgotten that God’s will for our lives is that we be holy (1 Thessalonians 4:3). We’ve forgotten that what Christians look forward to above all else is Jesus returning to take away our sin completely. We’ve forgotten that anyone who truly desires that day to come will be obsessed with living a holy life now (1 John 3:2-3).

Jesus taught that Christians would ‘hunger and thirst’ after righteousness (Matthew 5:6). Imagine a man who has been deprived of food and water for far too long. Hunger and thirst are not just a thought in his head, but all-encompassing desires that cannot be ignored. His whole body cries out for sustenance! He will never – can never – be satisfied until his desire is satiated. Is our hunger for righteousness like that? That’s what perfectionism (at its best) gets right. It desires to be without sin. That is a profoundly godly ambition, and one that all Christians should share. We recognise that we will inevitably fall short. But we are not happy about it.

Come Lord Jesus!

I have tried this myself with these "sinless perfection giants"...just say anything untoward, and a reaction you'll get, maybe we should, like Spurgeon, pour milk on their heads.

J.

Loved this article, thank you.

The only way to have sinless perfection is to die as an infant.They don't know sin until told their first " NO. Once they reach the age of accountability then the disobedience to " NO" becomes sin.

Between ourselves and God it is the same. When he says no and we do it anyway it is sin.
The word clearly defines sin into three categories; against God, against others and against self !

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Loved this article, thank you.

The only way to have sinless perfection is to die as an infant.They don't know sin until told their first " NO. Once they reach the age of accountability then the disobedience to " NO" becomes sin.

Between ourselves and God it is the same. When he says no and we do it anyway it is sin.
The word clearly defines sin into three categories; against God, against others and against self !
Hi @Keturah

Welcome to the forum.

All I am going to say is: Be prepared for a full on battle re sinless perfection.
Be prepared for the scripture references that is going to be quoted to you.

Shalom
J.

Reactions: Keturah

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Textus Receptus brother and KJV is the primary Bible, it is how you interpret the scriptures that matters.
In a way I feel sorry for you, you could learn much more and also put the 1050 Imperatives into daily practice, yet I don't harbor any grudges toward you.

The way you read/study the scriptures might not be the same for others in the body of Christ.
J.
I feel sorry for believers who haven't experienced the full blessing of God's gift of sanctification/holiness. If you don't believe in it, how can you experience it? Honestly it's so amazing.

Reactions: Episkopos and Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel sorry for believers who haven't experienced the full blessing of God's gift of sanctification/holiness. If you don't believe in it, how can you experience it? Honestly it's so amazing.
We absolutely should not limit what God may do in us, even in this lifetime.

Among other things, Jesus is made unto us sanctification, and I believe we should receive in faith, our hearts completely open to Him. And that because of Jesus having cleansed us from sin through our baptism into His death and burial.

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, those thoughts and I think the most lacking understanding of holiness is *all* of what the ten commandments entail. Mostly those who are "more sanctified" than others in their walk with the Lord typically fail most of the time in sins of omission, not commission. Loving God with all one's heart, soul, mind and strength is definitely something which every saved person on earth fails to do every day. Every contrary thought towards someone who you may perceive to be a jerk to is also murder; and failing to actively benefit your neighbor when you're just too weary or just don't have the time, like if someone's lonely and you know you should give them a call or a visit... that's a sin too. The list is endless and that is a infinitesimal fraction of what God commands us to do.

But show me a man or woman who claims they have kept God's moral laws perfectly every day of their life and I'll show you a liar who is not aware of all of what God's law entails.
So you do not think it’s ever possible [I have to say, it’s not highly probable or usual, given our current weak state, to expect to find one walking in the Spirit rather than just being led by the Spirit, but I find there are enough verses that neither can I say it’s absolutely impossible and no man has ever, or will ever, walk in the Spirit] for any man to walk in the Spirit so he does not fulfill the lusts of the flesh?

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We absolutely should not limit what God may do in us, even in this lifetime.

Among other things, Jesus is made unto us sanctification, and I believe we should receive in faith, our hearts completely open to Him. And that because of Jesus having cleansed us from sin through our baptism into His death and burial.

Much love!
No, we don't limit God in what He is doing through Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

There is the initial sanctification, and progressive, for most here, the "progressive" part of sanctification is cut out and they are sinless, in word, thought and deed.

Not even Paul made such a bold claim.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I feel sorry for believers who haven't experienced the full blessing of God's gift of sanctification/holiness. If you don't believe in it, how can you experience it? Honestly it's so amazing
Yup, gives you the "goose bumps" and hearing voices, and somehow that is indicative you are super duper spiritual, not to mention glossalia, Pentecostal style.
J.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, yes, the goosebumps. I got real sideways with them many years ago. I might start a thread on it tomorrow…I’ve learned a lot concerning them that might help someone.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just finished listening, and I must admit, I'm shocked to the core.

The link I have given shows the omitted verses.

You said this is for starters, what next?
J.
I would recommend watching the following videos.

Watch Kjb - The Book That Changed The World | Prime Video

Important Note: I only agree with Dr. Gene Kim on the KJB Only issue.
I do not agree with his view of Soteriology and or his odd form of Dispensationalism (In that salvation is different in other time periods like his view of salvation is different in the future tribulation, etcetera).

Mike Hoggard goes into showing the divine nature of the King James Bible via by biblical numerics.
Again, I do not agree with Mike on other topics or issues and only his teaching of biblical numerics.

Will Kinney is probably one of the best out there on this issue.
He has some really great articles explaining the different KJB topics, KJB history, and or dealing with supposed KJB contradictions.

You can type into Google the keyword you like to search, and then use the word site: and then brandplucked.webs.com to find what you want on a KJB topic. Again, I do not agree with Will Kinney and his view of salvation (among other things).

I hope this helps, and may God bless you.

Last edited:

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, we don't limit God in what He is doing through Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

There is the initial sanctification, and progressive, for most here, the "progressive" part of sanctification is cut out and they are sinless, in word, thought and deed.

J.
1 Thess. 5:23, Phil. 3:15-16

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is a difference between one that is perfect and one that is perfected. One is fitted for the race...the other, ready to receive the prize. As was Paul.

Aquinas wrote, “Those who enter the stage of perfection do not profess to be perfect, but to tend to perfection...hence a man who takes up the state of perfection is not guilty of lying or deceit through not being perfect, but through withdrawing his mind from the intention of reaching perfection”.

Christian believers, once their hearts are transformed should involuntarily strive for perfection, as an act of worship to their God, Who is holy.
“If you desire to be perfect-that is, to be a real Christian”. (Wesley)

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

J.
I haven't heard anyone here going around making that claim either, brother, unless I missed it since I don't get around very much. Paul didn't make that claim because, as he wrote in that same scripture, he is not his own judge, God is. (I don't know but maybe you're misunderstanding some of what folks are communicating.) Though come to think of it, elsewhere in the past I have heard two or three testimonies of some speaking of the Lord "burning up" what remained of their sin, in a baptism of fire, and found that encouraging.

But I just believe we should be aiming high, not low, and have faith like Abraham that God is able to accomplish what He has PROMISED. :) Amazingly that is the same promise in a figure that is possible for us. Christ formed in us and born (fully manifested), once we become like Abraham, "as good as dead" vessels....unto us a Son is given, unto us a Son is born. Hmm....first given, then born. And that promise also is depicted as the promised land of rest, the kingdom of God, that remains for the people of God, which we are exhorted not to seem to have come short of! It's an encouragement that Enoch is given as an example of a man who "walked with God" and that was even before the cross (though the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world). With God all things are possible.....He chastised the Israelites who did not believe it was possible for them to possess that land. We need to walk by faith, not by sight. By sight it looks impossible, by faith nothing is impossible.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I haven't heard anyone here going around making that claim either, brother, unless I missed it since I don't get around very much. Paul didn't make that claim because, as he wrote in that same scripture, he is not his own judge, God is. (I don't know but maybe you're misunderstanding some of what folks are communicating.) Though come to think of it, elsewhere in the past I have heard two or three testimonies of some speaking of the Lord "burning up" what remained of their sin, in a baptism of fire, and found that encouraging.
You will run into them.
J.

Reactions: mailmandan

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

J.
I am not against Progressive Sanctification. I believe it is taught in 2 Corinthians 7:1.
But the end goal is being eventually cleansed in this life (1 Peter 4:1-2).

Reactions: Keturah

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, gives you the "goose bumps" and hearing voices, and somehow that is indicative you are super duper spiritual, not to mention glossalia, Pentecostal style.
J.
You mentioned the keswick movement in a post 'Sanctification is a long, gradual, and sometimes tortuous process, and it is something that all believers will experience'

Jesus didn't say that, neither did Paul...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mentioned the keswick movement in a post 'Sanctification is a long, gradual, and sometimes tortuous process, and it is something that all believers will experience'

Jesus didn't say that, neither did Paul...
Hmm…I would say it like…dying is a long and tortuous process. It’s so long because…mmm, that would be too long of a post.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
1 Thess. 5:23, Phil. 3:15-16
1 Thessalonians 5:23-28
IV. FINAL GREETINGS TO THE THESSALONIANS (5:23-28)
5:23 Now Paul prays for the sanctification of the Christians. The source is the God of peace. The scope is found in the word completely, meaning “every part of your being.”

This verse has been pressed into service by some to prove the “Holiness” doctrine of entire sanctification—that a believer can become sinlessly perfect in this life.

However, that is not what Paul means when he prays, the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely. He is not praying for the eradication of the sin nature but rather that sanctification would extend to every part of their being—spirit, soul, and body.
EXCURSUS ON SANCTIFICATION
There are four phases of sanctification in the NT—pre-conversion, positional, practical or progressive, and perfect.
1. Even before a person is saved, he is set apart in a position of external privilege. Thus we read in 1Co_7:14 that an unbelieving husband is sanctified by his believing wife. This is pre-conversion sanctification.
2. Whenever a person is born again, he is positionally sanctified by virtue of his union with Christ. This means that he is set apart to God from the world. It is referred to in such passages as Act_26:18; 1Co_1:2; 1Co_6:11; 2Th_2:13; Heb_10:10, Heb_10:14.
3. But then there is progressive sanctification. This is a present setting apart of the believer to God from the world, sin, and self. It is the process by which he becomes more Christlike. This is the sanctification which Paul prays for the Thessalonians here. It is also found in 1Th_4:3-4; 2Ti_2:21. It is brought about by the Holy Spirit when we are obedient to the word of God (Joh_17:17; 2Co_3:18). Such practical sanctification is a process that should continue as long as the believer is on earth. He will never achieve perfection or sinlessness on earth, but he should ever be pressing toward that goal.
4. Perfect sanctification refers to the believer's final condition in heaven. When he goes to be with the Lord, he will be morally like the Lord, completely and finally set apart from sin (1Jn_3:1-3).
The apostle also prays for the preservation of the Thessalonians. This preservation should include the complete person—spirit, soul, and body. Notice the order. Man always says body, soul, and spirit. God always says spirit, soul, and body. In the original creation, the spirit was of first importance, the body last. Sin reversed the order; man lives for the body and neglects the spirit. When we pray for one another, we should follow the biblical order, putting spiritual welfare before physical needs.
From this verse and others, it is clear that we are tripartite beings. Our spirit is that part which enables us to have communion with God. Our soul has to do with our emotions, desires, affections, and propensities (Joh_12:27). Our body is the house in which our person dwells (2Co_5:1).
All of our parts need to be preserved entire, that is, complete and sound. One commentator has suggested the needs for preservation as follows:
1. The spirit from (a) everything that would defile it (2Co_7:1); (b) everything that would hinder the testimony of the Holy Spirit to the saints' relationship with God (Rom_8:16); or (c) everything that would prevent the worship which He seeks (Joh_4:23; Php_3:3).
2. The soul from (a) evil thoughts (Mat_15:18-19; Eph_2:3); (b) fleshly appetites that war against it (1Pe_2:11); and (c) contention and strife (Heb_12:15).
3. The body from (a) defilement (1Th_4:3-8); and (b) evil uses (Rom_6:19).
Some deny that the unsaved have a spirit. Perhaps they base this on the fact that they are spiritually dead (Eph_2:1). However, the fact that the unsaved are spiritually dead does not mean that they have no spirit. It means that they are dead as far as fellowship with God is concerned. Their spirits may be very much alive, for example, as far as contact with the world of the occult is concerned, but they are dead Godward.
Lenski warns:
Many are satisfied with a partial Christianity, some parts of their life are still worldly. The apostolic admonitions constantly prod into all the corners of our nature so that none may escape purification.
The prayer goes on to desire that God's sanctification and preservation will so extend to every part of their personalities that the believers will be blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. This seems to point to the Judgment Seat of Christ, which follows the Rapture. At that time, the Christian's life, service, and testimony will be reviewed, and he will be rewarded or suffer loss.
5:24 As we learned in 1Th_4:3, our sanctification is the will of God. He has called us to eventually stand blameless before Him. Having begun this work in us, He will finish it (Php_1:6). He who calls us is faithful to His promise.
5:25 As Paul closes, he asks for the prayers of the saints. He never outgrew the need for prayer and neither do we. It is a sin to fail to pray for fellow believers.
5:26 Next he asks that all the brethren be greeted with a holy kiss. At that time, this was the accepted mode of greeting. In some countries it is still customary for men to kiss men, and women to kiss women. In still other cultures men kiss the women and vice versa. But more often than not this has led to abuses and has had to be abandoned.
The kiss was not instituted by the Lord as a prescribed form of greeting or taught by the apostles as obligatory. The Bible wisely allows for other modes of greeting in cultures where kissing might lead to sexual laxness. The Spirit of God seeks to guard against such irregularities by insisting that the kiss must be holy.
5:27 The apostle solemnly charges that this epistle be read to all the holy brethren. Two points should be noted here:
1. Paul invests the Letter with the authority of the word of God. The OT was read publicly in the synagogues. Now this epistle will be read aloud in the churches.
2. The Bible is for all Christians, not for some inside circle or privileged class. All its truths are for all the saints.
Denney wisely insists:
There is no attainment in wisdom or in goodness which is barred against any man by the gospel; and there is no surer mark of faithlessness and treachery in a church than this, that it keeps its members in a perpetual pupilage or minority, discouraging the free use of Holy Scripture, and taking care that all it contains is not read to all the brethren.
Notice that in verses 25-27 we have three keys to a successful Christian life: (1) prayer (v. 25); (2) love for fellow believers, which speaks of fellowship (v. 26); and (3) reading and study of the word (v. 27).
5:28 Finally we have Paul's characteristic close. He opened his First Epistle to the Thessalonians with grace, and now he closes it with the same theme. To the apostle Christianity is grace from beginning to end. Amen.

You are god.

J.