The Gospel is actually good news and here is why.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Book Of James ........the last refuge of the Legalist.
Not at all. You want to learn PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY? Go to James, who was a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ (not a legalist by any means). James tells you to put your money where your mouth is, and he does not mince words.

Reactions: amigo de christo

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tired of the Gospel being turned into a system of law that only drags us down, robs us of joy
and stifles our love for the One who died for us?
Tired of being rerouted back to the law in order to be sanctified or to prove that your faith is genuine?

The Gospel is actually good news and here is why.

1. God has actually concluded all people under sin, whether they be Jew or Gentile, rich poor, black or white etc. (Gal 3:22)

2. Jesus Christ perfectly fulfilled all the requirements for righteousness AND took all our sins upon Himself and took the punishment that those sins fully deserve. (Rom 5:19)

3. through faith, He declares us righteous, (Rom 3:28) robes us in that righteousness, (Gal 3:27), regenerates us as His children (Jn 1:12), and freely grants us the Holy Spirit (Gal 3:2) to strengthen us, enlighten us, convict, comfort and guide us and most of all, direct our hearts into the love of Jesus (Jn 16:7-14), who has granted eternal life as a free gift through faith in Him (Rom 5:15-18).

4. We died to the law that held us that we may live anew to God. (Rom 7:1-4) (Gal 2:19)

Please keep the responses civil and I'll try to do the same. :)

The Gospel is all about what a Merciful God did for Lost Sinners......NOT what Lost Sinners have done for God....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. You want to learn PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY? Go to James, who was a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ (not a legalist by any means). James tells you to put your money where your mouth is, and he does not mince words.

I am not saying that James was a Legalist.....I am saying Legalists twist the verses of His Book to justify Legalism.....

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

Matthew 7:15-17
King James Version

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
That is judging their teaching, not their faith.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of the other religions and cults require works on your part to be counted worthy of God. Or in other words they require the law.

All religions require that you DO something to merit Salvation...you must “make” yourself “ Worthy “ to be fit for Heaven......Christianity says we are *MADE* Worthy by the Blood Of The Lamb......understanding that difference between that bad news and good news is the difference between Heaven and Hell.....

Reactions: Mantis and HisLife

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am not saying that James was a Legalist.....I am saying Legalists twist the verses of His Book to justify Legalism.....
Anyone can twist any Scripture. But I recommended James for those who desire the truth, not those who pervert the Word. James tells you that if you are bragging about your faith, then prove it with actions. That's Christianity, not legalism.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Paul put his money where his writing was...is yours?

2 Corinthians 11:23-28 (NASB) Are they servants of Christ?--I speak as if insane--I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches.

That's a man (and a great example) of one who lives by faith. Not sitting around checking on one's holiness hourly. But notice in vs 23 he says that boasting about his good works is insane or foolish.

Last edited:

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do believers prove their faith is genuine?
Believers don't need to prove their faith is genuine. God knows those who are His. (2Tim 2.19)
Let me clarify a bit...

1 Corinthians 4:3-4 (NASB) But to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judge ye not those that are within . Oh yes we examine the fruits of others . Oh yes .
Let us be feasting upon the bible . For i fear many are being led by emotions and dictates of men .

Strange.I have-been a Christian for many years now.....not ONCE have I ever been concerned with “ Fruit Inspecting”

I think it’s like this .....Legalists never know the True Joy That accompanies putting one’s Total Faith in Jesus and the FINISHED work of the Cross ......to some degree or other, that all carry the
burden of maintaining some level of Performance, which is where they REALLY put their Faith. This guarantees the absence of any True Joy and Assurance Of Salvation in their lives and as we all know, misery loves company .Inspecting Fruit and Finding pleasure in Judging the Performances Of others is simply how religionists snare others and attack and accuse them—- making sure they don’t escape their sad little worlds of religious self- deception and drudgery . God forbid a man night discover how to live a life “ Free in Christ” and start living the “ Abundant Life” That Jesus spoke of.....

“ Fruit Inspection”, properly understood, is to be used on “ False Prophets” and the “ Words” they use are the Fruit.....words like, “Jesus Saves —- BUT”......Any Words That go beyond “ Nothing But The Blood” for Salvation are examples of “Bad Fruit”.....one can find tons of it in here and in the vast majority if churches any day of the week.......

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No he didn't take our punishment for sin, Do the really think God the Father punished his own Son for something he didn't do?
There are four problems with your claim
1. The punishment for sin is eternal separation from God – but Jesus is not eternally separated from God.
2. God would be legally punishing an innocent person for the sins of another.
3. If the legal debt has been paid then no-one can be condemned for sin since then God would be taking double payment for the same debt.
4. There is no need for God’s mercy since the debt has been paid. Mercy implies reduction or “letting off” of some or all the debt of punishment.

And Rom 5:19 says nothing to support your claim.
Hello Mungo, as Gleason Archer explains, God had to become one of us in order to redeem us from the guilt and penalty of our sin. And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only-begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth’ ‘(John 1:14).

God as God could not forgive us for our sins unless our sins were fully paid for; otherwise He would have been a condoner and protector of the violation of His own holy law. It was only as a man that God in Christ could furnish satisfaction sufficient to atone for the sins of mankind; for only a man, a true human being, could properly represent the human race.

But at the same time our Redeemer had to be God, for only God could furnish a sacrifice of infinite value, to compensate for the penalty of eternal hell that our sin demands, according to the righteous claims of divine justice. Only God could have devised a way of salvation that made it possible for Him to remain Just and at the same time become the Justifier of the ungodly and instead of sending them to the everlasting perdition they deserved it was the perfect Man who was also infinite God that furnished an effectual sacrifice for all believers of every age.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Strange.I have-been a Christian for many years now.....not ONCE have I ever been concerned with “ Fruit Inspecting”

I think it’s like this .....Legalists never know the True Joy That accompanies putting one’s Total Faith in Jesus and the FINISHED work of the Cross ......to some degree or other, that all carry the
burden of maintaining some level of Performance, which is where they REALLY put their Faith. This guarantees the absence of any True Joy and Assurance Of Salvation in their lives and as we all know, misery loves company .Inspecting Fruit and Finding pleasure in Judging the Performances Of others is simply how religionists snare others and attack and accuse them—- making sure they don’t escape their sad little worlds of religious self- deception and drudgery . God forbid a man night discover how to live a life “ Free in Christ” and start living the “ Abundant Life” That Jesus spoke of.....

“ Fruit Inspection”, properly understood, is to be used on “ False Prophets” and the “ Words” they use are the Fruit.....words like, “Jesus Saves —- BUT”......Any Words That go beyond “ Nothing But The Blood” for Salvation are examples of “Bad Fruit”.....one can find tons of it in here and in the vast majority if churches any day of the week.......
When amigo said about fruit inspecting, we as Christians need to do that by examining ourselves so as to make sure we do not fall from grace.

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? (2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV)

But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. (1 Corinthians 11:28-29 KJV)

Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. (Hebrews 4:1 KJV)

Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; (Hebrews 12:15 KJV)

Last edited:
Reactions: amigo de christo

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Mungo, as Gleason Archer explains, God had to become one of us in order to redeem us from the guilt and penalty of our sin. And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only-begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth’ ‘(John 1:14).

God as God could not forgive us for our sins unless our sins were fully paid for; otherwise He would have been a condoner and protector of the violation of His own holy law. It was only as a man that God in Christ could furnish satisfaction sufficient to atone for the sins of mankind; for only a man, a true human being, could properly represent the human race.

But at the same time our Redeemer had to be God, for only God could furnish a sacrifice of infinite value, to compensate for the penalty of eternal hell that our sin demands, according to the righteous claims of divine justice. Only God could have devised a way of salvation that made it possible for Him to remain Just and at the same time become the Justifier of the ungodly and instead of sending them to the everlasting perdition they deserved it was the perfect Man who was also infinite God that furnished an effectual sacrifice for all believers of every age.

I agree. But satisfaction does not mean God violated his justice by punishing an innocent man.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I gave Scripture backing for my claims, it would be appreciated if you reciprocated.

I questioned one point for which you provided no relevant scripture.
Rome 5:19 "For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man’s obedience many will be made righteous."
That does not address the issue of Jesus being punished for our sins.

My response was a matter of morality and logic. Which parts do you disagree with?
1. The punishment for sin is eternal separation from God – but Jesus is not eternally separated from God.
2. God would be legally punishing an innocent person for the sins of another.
3. If the legal debt has been paid then no-one can be condemned for sin since then God would be taking double payment for the same debt.
4. There is no need for God’s mercy since the debt has been paid. Mercy implies reduction or “letting off” of some or all the debt of punishment

1 Peter 2:24 (KJV) Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Neither does that say that Jesus was punished in our stead

Reactions: APAK

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? (2 Corinthians 13:5KJV)

This “ examination” goes like this: “ No man can say ‘ Jesus is Lord’ Without having the Holy Spirit in Him” ....If you can sincerely say that, you are “ in the Faith” ......That is the Test to prove yourself to be a Christian and not a Reprobate.....sorry if it is not as complicated or demanding as you would like it to be....

Reactions: Helen and Addy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No he didn't take our punishment for sin, Do the really think God the Father punished his own Son for something he didn't do?
Oh my goodness... Did you actually say this???

That Christ took punishment for all sin is what CHRISTIANITY is all about... I cannot believe that you can call yourself a Christian yet deny that the blood of CHRIST was total ATONEMENT for our sin. OH my goodness... this is the most HORRIFYING comment I have EVER HEARD spoken by someone who proclaims themselves to be a Christian.

You are the one Catholic I did NOT put on ignore... I have a feeling this is going to change.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh my goodness... Did you actually say this??? That Christ took punishment for all sin is what CHRISTIANITY is all about... I cannot believe that you can call yourself a Christian yet deny that the blood of CHRIST was total ATONEMENT for our sin. OH my goodness... this is the most HORRIFYING comment I have EVER HEARD spoken by someone who proclaims themselves to be a Christian.
Hebrews 1: "He...by Himself purged our sins".

Reactions: Helen